Mistress Agnes Ch. 22: Conclusion

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'Dick, there you are!'

He was not really happy to see Dennis, all the more reason to tread lightly.

'Fury behaved perfectly this morning when we introduced her to the others, Dick. The mistress was very pleased with her, and of course the dog was fine, too. You chose well, John and yourself.'

Good, a little sunshine broke through on Dick's face.

'I'm glad to hear it, Dennis. I think I've been pretty foolish, Dennis. My hand hurts very much, and I can hardly move it anymore. Maria told me it looked bad, and John, and Cook. They all said I needed to see a doctor, but I wouldn't believe it. And now I can't wring the laundry.'

'May I see it, Dick? I've seen some injuries in my life. It didn't look bad yesterday, but some hurts just don't show up at first.'

Dick showed him a very large, very discoloured and slightly swollen limb. Dennis winced in sympathy when he saw it, it looked awful, that could not be just bruising.

'Can I touch it, too? I'll be very careful.'

'It's not that bad, Dennis. I mean it hurts, but..owch. I guess it hurts more now than it did before. I should have listened to Maria and the others. What do I do now, Dennis? Who's going to wring those clothes and hang them out to dry?'

Dennis could kick himself for thinking even Dick could take such a blow and not break something. And Dick was worrying about the laundry.

'I'll wring those, I'll ask John to help me, it'll be fun in this warm weather. And you may watch and give us directions. And after that, we're going to see the village doctor. We'll take Fury and Pixie, so they can get used to each other.'

No reply came from Dick, and Dennis wondered whether he was up to a walk. He stuck out a hand and felt Dick's forehead, it was warm, but not hot. Thank goodness he didn't have a fever, it was bad enough he had been working with what would most likely turn out to be a broken hand.

Still it was great fun wringing the laundry together with John. Water spattered all three of them, and when the tub with the white stuff was empty, they rinsed and wrung the dark garments as well, until they were all wet through, even Dick. When everything was hanging from the clothesline, Dennis turned to Dick.

'Can you walk to the village and back Dick? Please be honest, I can't carry you. If you feel feverish or unwell in any way, we'll take the carriage.'

'I'm not sick, Dennis, except for the pain I feel fine.'

'But pain can make you feel sick or weak, Dick, please don't suffer for nothing. I'll gladly take the carriage with you.'

'No, truly, Dennis, if you control Fury I'd love to take a walk, I always like being with you. And I'm afraid I'm good for nothing else.'

That actually made Dennis a bit angry at Dick.

'I will accept that you find it hard to not be working when everyone else is, Dick. But even if you were to never work again we'd all love you. You're a good person, not just a useful servant. Come, let's tell the mistress and fetch the dogs and be off. I suppose the doctor can give you something for the pain, even if that doesn't mean you can work again you'll feel better.'

Agnes was very worried about Dick, she had told Dennis just yesterday she had come to care for him very much, 'There is something so touching about him.'

And now he was paying for his heroic deed with what must be profound pain.

'I hope it's not too bad, Dick, but if it is broken, don't worry about your work. We'll find a solution, you were hurt protecting my tenants, and you deserve honour and a reward, not pain and bad feelings. Remember Dick, it's not your fault this happened.'

As they walked towards the stables to fetch the dogs, Dick observed, 'The mistress is so nice these days. Having a baby is making her happy, I think.'

'You may be right, Dick. About the reason, I mean, I'm sure she is much happier than she used to be. I thought maybe she liked me bossy.'

His cheeky face made Dick laugh, until he turned serious once more.

'You're right, she must like you bossy, I didn't think of that. I didn't like it at first, I was afraid you wouldn't be my friend anymore, but yesterday I was very happy you took charge. I trust you. I guess the mistress does, too.'

Fetching Fury was a matter of minutes, and Pixie was always on Dick's heels, except when she was sleeping near him. When the tiny puppy and the large hound met there was a little barking and growling, but nothing bad, Pixie knew better than to try and boss around this hound, and Fury was still young and playful enough to appreciate a companion, no matter how small and nippy.

When they passed the path to the outcrop, Dick asked, 'Have you ever taken the mistress here, Dennis?'

Actually, he hadn't.

'I should do that, shouldn't I? Or would it be shameful if someone caught the lady of the manor there?'

'I don't know,' Dick admitted, 'I didn't think of that. To me she's just the mistress, but those people yesterday did treat her with a lot of respect. You too, Dennis. You looked just as if you were born a gentleman.'

'Maybe my father was a gentleman,' Dennis joked, to see if he could cheer Dick up a little.

Looking at Dennis suspiciously, his friend thought for a moment then started to laugh, 'Oh, I see. You said your mother was a ...well, you know what. Then your father must have been one of her customers. That would have been very bad of him, wouldn't it?'

'It would, Dick, and I don't think my mother had any rich clients. Though one did send a doctor when she was sick at the last. Not like the doctor who helped me in London, though, he was very good, he might have saved her. Until the next time, Dick, she didn't have a good life.'

'But your life would have been better if she had lived.'

And that was a truth Dennis had never realized. Having a mother had been good, no matter what her job had been.

'You're right, Dick, she was sweet and did the best she could for me.'

As they entered the village, Dennis considered putting the leash on Fury, but since everybody let their dogs loose here he decided he wouldn't. They would have to keep an eye on her in case she didn't know to whom she belonged, but for now she kept a close eye on them, and even on little Pixie.

And Fury's character was going to be tested today, starting immediately. As soon as they had entered the village, some farmer approached them.

'Dick Parsons, we hear you caught those brigands from Harrowdale forest! Congratulations my son, you're a real hero hereabouts!'

And the man insisted on hugging Dick warmly and familiarly, much to Dick's suprise and yes, dismay. He was not used to being treated with easy friendliness, people had always been wary of his size and his being different, and now there was Fury to think about, who might react aversely to someone touching one of them. And Dick's hand.

When Dick returned the hug as well as he could, and with just one arm, the farmer checked out the limb that didn't participate, of course noticing the huge black discolouration and the way Dick favoured the hand.

'They said you used only your bare hands, I guess them brigands didn't. The doctor is in, for I suppose you've come to see him. Or did you come to visit your pretty lady? She'll be home with you tonight, you caught yourself a true beauty, Dick, you lucky fellow. Good luck with the hand!'

And that was just the beginning, they had not advanced ten yards before some housewife addressed him, and then an old gaffer and a group of giggly girls halted them to praise Dick for his courage, hug him or shake his hand, pet his little pup, admire Fury, and commiserate on hurting his hand. Dick was starting to get upset by all the attention, of course he was in pain and he was pretty shy despite his size; he did not like being the centre of attention.

'And you did much more to get those brigands, Dennis. Without you they would have ambushed the lot of us, and maybe even killed one or two of us before you got them.'

He was right, of course, but Dennis much preferred matters this way. Harley had emphasised Dick's role in the capture to lead the attention away from Dennis, for his ability to beat army-trained men at their own game was suspicious at the very least. Dennis didn't know how these folks had learned of the raid so quickly after it happened, but he was glad Dick got the credit, it was much safer.

'If I tell you I'm glad they forgot to mention my role, do you understand that, Dick?'

Dick took his time considering Dennis' question, fortunately there were no villagers bothering him for a few moments, until his face lighted up and he said, 'I guess I do. You don't want people to know you're a better fighter than those deserters. Like Patrick and Guy prefer people not to notice them: they have a secret, you have a secret.'

'Exactly. I see more people coming, can you handle them? I'm sorry, Dick, if I had known this would happen I would have ordered the carriage, or even sent for the doctor.'

There wasn't much Dick could do but stay polite, accept thanks for his heroic deed to protect people they knew who lived there, shake hands again, remind Fury she belonged to them and not to some passer-by. Still, they did reach the doctor's house, and the doctor was indeed in.

Even the doctor had heard the rumours, and said, 'Hello Mr Parsons, what can I do for you? You're quite the hero I've heard. Oh, you're not happy at all with all the attention, come in quickly and we'll talk in my office.'

Dennis got a polite bow as well, the doctor seemed more like a city person than a local, but he served quite a large area with this practice. He usually visited his patients at their own house, but if they were going to send someone they might as well save him the trip over. No children to send on errands at the manor, and too few servants.

'This does not look like a mere bruise, I'm afraid, Mr Parsons,' the doctor said, after hearing the story and looking at Dick's hand.

'To find out more, I need to examine your hand, and that will hurt, possibly quite badly. But if it is broken we need to know, for then you should not use your hand for up to six weeks.'

Dick did not believe that, which was dangerous to him, since Dennis knew from the barracks that broken bones could result in a permanent disability.

'Mr Parsons, I assure you, if you keep working with a broken hand, your fingers will grow crooked, the hand itself will be deformed, you'll be in constant pain, and you will not regain your famous strength. Now, may I examine it carefully? I will give you painkillers later, but now I need to know whether something is broken and if so, which bone.'

Dennis offered his hand to Dick, to squeeze if it hurt too badly. He wished Maria was here to support her husband, and he asked gently, 'Do you want me to fetch Maria, Dick?'

'Thank you Dennis, but no need. I feel safe enough with you, and when you're bossy I listen. Maria told me to go to the doctor and I didn't. I need to learn to listen to her, and I will, more quickly now she turned out to be so right.'

He took Dennis' hand, and Dennis hoped he wouldn't end up with a broken hand as well, if it hurt very much. But of course Dick would never hurt his friend, and though his face showed his agony, Dennis did not feel more than a solid grasp. Then the doctor asked Dick to grasp his hand with the hurt hand.

'Can't...doctor. Hurts... too much.'

Dick couldn't talk, he was still in agony, poor man.

'It's broken all right, Mr Parsons, but not very badly so, I can feel no displacement of the bones and your fingers are still where they should be. Do I understand correctly that you have been working all morning with this hand?'

'I'm afraid he did, doctor,' Dennis said, when Dick was still unable to talk.

'And not easy tasks either. Mr Parsons takes great pride in his work, and he hates being idle. I'm afraid you'll have to talk to him very seriously to get him to rest his hand for six weeks.'

'I'm not Mr Parsons to you, Dennis!' Dick gasped, 'I'm your friend!'

'So you are, Dick, so you are. I'd better watch out, or you'll be calling me master again. I'm very sorry I upset you, I was addressing the doctor and I thought he might be confused if I used your Christian name. Can you forgive me?'

Dennis stroked the good hand, Dick was still in pain and he felt so sorry for his friend.

'Well, Dick,' said the doctor, and it was clear Dick preferred that, 'you didn't do your hand more harm than had been done already. It was the blow that broke the bone, and the broken bone didn't move despite your hard work. But you must not work again until this is healed, understand me?'

The doctor had Dick's measure now, and he was very strict.

'If you use the hand, it will go crooked and you will be very sorry. I will talk to your wife, and I hope Mr Parker here will warn Mrs Beauchamp and all your colleagues that you are not allowed to do any work until I say you may.'

Dick did listen now and he did not like what he heard. The doctor spoke again, but more friendly now.

'I'm going to splint your hand, to give your bones the chance to heal. But doctors have noticed that when you don't move your hand at all, it hurts worse when the break is healed. So you do have to start moving your fingers again in a week or so, just a tiny bit, say to scratch your pup or your hound. Nothing more!

I want to see you again in a week, and if you get feverish or nauseous come back sooner. I'll get you some painkillers, you'll be hurting a lot the first week, especially at night. But between you and me, Dick, it will be worth all the pain and the frustration. I know Mrs Beauchamp well, and she will not let you down because you can't work for a few weeks. And I know what folks around here said about you, they never understood that Maria is truly in love with you, but they will change their tune from now on. A few weeks' pain in exchange for the reputation of a hero. If you do as I say and rest your hand well, you will be the winner. And any other man would have broken his hand beyond repair with such a deed. So, keep heart and try to stay occupied. I believe Mrs Beauchamp lets you use her library?'

Dick nodded tiredly.

'Well then, you can read as much as you like, if you hold the book with your good hand.

It's the pain Dick, I'm going to give you a painkiller straight away, and I suggest you visit your in-laws until it starts to work. Or do you think I need to take you home, Mr Parker? You know Dick much better than I do.'

Dennis did wonder, Dick was exhausted and in pain, and the road home would be strewn with admirers. It wasn't the walk that had tired Dick so, it was being noticed.

Ignoring the fact that they were sitting in the doctor's office, Dennis stroked Dick's cheek, getting a slight smile in return.

'What's going on with him, doctor? He seems half asleep suddenly.'

'It's a reaction to the pain, Mr Parker, the body knows how to heal itself. Let me give you the painkillers and I'll have my son harness my horse and take you home. I suppose going outside feels like running the gauntlet to a shy man like him.'

Still Dennis worried, he had never seen Dick this way, until he remembered how he had felt intensely fatigued himself on the way back yesterday. Maybe Dick had his reaction now. Maybe talking to all those folks had been for him what talking to Harley had been to Dennis.

'Could it be a reaction to what happened yesterday? He had a big scare despite all the talk of heroism.'

'All of it, Mr Parker, the sum of pain, discomfort and relieve of intense fear. He is strong, he will be back to himself soon enough, and then your task will start, to keep him from working. You want to be his friend, but you may have to be his master for a while.

One moment, please.'

When the doctor walked to a beautifully decorated cabinet, Dennis checked Dick again, it was still pretty frightening to see him barely conscious before lunchtime. Maybe they should fetch Maria, she had a right to know, she could work a little longer tomorrow.

The doctor returned with a handful of packets, unfolded one and handed the rest to Dennis.

'He may take one of those four or five times a day. Save two for the night, for then it hurts the most.'

Then he poured a glass of water with his free hand and gave Dick first the powder and then the water. Dick obediently took the powder and washed it down with the water, reviving a little with the action and maybe the fluids. Then the doctor went into the hall, and when he was gone from the room, Dennis asked, 'Do you want us to fetch Maria, Dick?'

'Yes please, Dennis. I'm afraid she'll scold me for being stupid, but you heard the doctor say the blow broke my hand, not working. Do you think she'll be very angry with me?'

'Of course not, Dick, she'll be worried, and if you try to work she will be bossy. But first she'll spoil you until you don't feel the pain anymore. I'm certain she has been worrying over you all morning, she must have hated to leave you.'

The doctor even allowed them to take the dogs into the carriage, 'I always take my own, it's no problem.'

And when his son, a handsome fellow in his twenties, halted in front of the Woods' house, Maria came running out before Dennis could get out of the carriage to fetch her. She entered the carriage, obviously upset, and kneeled before Dick.

'Oh my love, what happened? Did you faint? Someone told me you were going to the doctor with Dennis, but I expected you to step by and go home together, not see you half-conscious in the doctor's carriage!'

'I'm not in danger, Maria, just very tired and in pain. Half the village wanted to talk to me and shake hands or hug me, when they didn't want to know me before. Will you come home with me? And spoil me? My hand is broken and I cannot work for six weeks.'

'Of course my love, I told mother if it was you in the doctor's carriage I'd go home with you. I'm sorry your hand is broken, dear. It must hurt terribly.'

Hearing that Maria was coming with them, the doctor's son set off. Maria sat down next to Dick and took his good hand.

'Why is he so fuzzy, Dennis? Did the doctor give him something?'

'He did, but he was like this before that. The doctor says it's the body healing itself. And I think it's also the fear catching up with him, I had it yesterday when we drove off. I had been so afraid, I thought I was going to die. Dick feared for me, too. And he's so afraid to be useless, six weeks will be torture to him, Maria.'

They thanked their young driver and led Dick to the bedroom. Maria asked Dennis to walk along to tell her what happened, and together they helped Dick into the bed. He fell asleep instantly, but he breathed deeply, and his temperature was still normal.

Dennis told Maria what had happened, and told her some things privates Harley and Barks had been through together, things he had told Agnes when she held him after his nightmares, but not Dick. They were pretty awful, and Dennis knew they would only burden Dick, while Maria could handle knowing about them. She wanted to become less sheltered, and Dennis' life had been as little sheltered as one could get it and live to tell about it.

Maria shuddered, and squeezed his hand that she had taken during the most harrowing of Dennis' tales.

'It's so hard to get my mind around you really having been through all this. It sounds like a gruesome tale, but you were there, this same man I see sitting next to me, whose hand I'm holding. Suppose your old comrade had not let you go, Dennis. The life would have left this house without you, we would all have been devastated. Not just Mrs Beauchamp, not just Dick and Patrick, all of us. Even me. You deserve to finally live life, not just struggle through it.

I'm sure Mrs Beauchamp is aching for you, Dennis, you've been away from her for hours to tend to Dick. She must be feeling this, too, the reaction to yesterday. I'm going to snuggle close to Dick, one afternoon of lazing about will not ruin my plans for my own business. You spoil your lady, she needs you.'