My Blue Pill with Green Eyes Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jo and I continued to work some of our excess energy off that night. Now that she was back on and excited, her level was infectious and impossible to refuse. The count for the night was Jo: 13, me: 3. I'd never before been happier to get the lowest score!

Just before we fell asleep, I mentioned to Jo, "Before we left, Petra gave me something."

"What was that?"

"She handed me her card. She said if we ever want anything to give her a call."

"Anything for a sale, I guess," Jo said.

"No, I mean she called you gorgeous and gave us her personal phone number."

"Oh really? What did you do with the number?"

I reached over on the bedside table and retrieved the card, handing it to Jo. She looked at it and smiled. "Put that somewhere safe," she said.

~~~

Jo pulled up in her car at home after work on Saturday and honked the horn. I ran out quickly and we drove to her parent's house. We called ahead to let them know that we were on our way and found dinner waiting for us. Joanne outdid herself making the meal; it was incredibly delicious! Somehow, even with our beaming compliments, she wasn't really happy.

After dinner we all left the mess and went into the living room at Jonas's request. Jo and I sat on the couch while Jonas took up a recliner. Joanne kneeled on the floor next to him and took his hand. She started to cry before he even began to speak.

Jo and I quickly became worried.

"What's wrong?" Jo asked.

Jonas took a deep breath and gripped Joanne's hand strongly. "Dear, I have some bad news," he started.

Jo grabbed my hand tightly in both of hers. I put my free hand over hers.

"I have cancer," Jonas said. Joanne had her head buried against his leg and we could see her body shake from the sobs. "Although in this case," he sighed, "it might be more accurate to say that cancer has me."

Jo's own tears were already starting, not even knowing much about it. "What? What do you mean? How bad is it? How long have you known? What are they doing about it?" she blurted out in a rush.

Jonas was waving his hands in the air to indicate to her to calm down a little. "I found out about it a little over two weeks ago and have already had two weeks of chemo. They didn't wait to start the treatments."

He looked at Jo and took another deep breath. "I'm afraid it's very serious. I went in yesterday for more tests. They wanted to see if the chemo helped at all so far."

Joanne was wailing at this point and Jo ran over to hug her. I just sat there stunned.

"Why haven't you told me until now?" Jo asked.

"I didn't want to scare you, dear. A couple of weeks ago they said I had at least six months unless the chemo worked." Jonas hesitated and looked down sadly.

Jo caught on, especially to his silence. "And what about after yesterday's tests?"

Jonas took a deep breath and closed his eyes. "A week. Maybe two."

"WHAT? WHY?"

"The cancer spread to several other organs even with the harsh chemo cocktail they were giving me. My doctor consulted with several others around the country and everyone agreed..."

"WHAT?" Jo asked again at his hesitation. I moved behind her to try to help her calm down a little.

"Anything else they could do for me would most definitely quickly kill me anyway, and I'd be miserable in the short process."

"NO! You have to fight it, Daddy! You have to beat it and prove them wrong! If anyone can do it, you can!" Jo exclaimed, jumping up to hug him in the chair.

Jonas wrapped his arms around his little girl and stared at me. His head shook slightly and then he looked at Jo and back at me. I understood. I hated understanding what he said without a word. I nodded to him, and he responded by blinking slowly and curling his tightly closed lips into a smile.

"Dear, I've already put up the good fight. The doctors have done all they can for me. We need to be prepared."

Joanne collapsed onto the floor hearing this. I went to her, drawing her into my arms to try to comfort her. Both ladies were in shambles, and I have no idea how long we spent like that letting them cry.

Jo spoke up as best she could. "Daddy, I'm cancelling all my classes for summer and taking off work. I'll be here to take care of you!"

"You will not young lady! I am so very proud of you and will not have you stopping your life because of this. You can visit as often as you like but you must continue your life! I want to know that you'll someday be the success I always knew you would be. Promise me?!"

"My life includes you, Daddy! I don't want to waste another minute we have left!"

Jonas just stared at her, finally nodding. "But you will continue your classes. I insist."

Jo nodded. "I'll switch them to online then." She looked at her mom. "I assume I can stay in my old bed, Mom?"

Joanne nodded between sobs and got up to hug her husband and daughter.

I was left alone on the floor and stood up to go sit on the couch. This was their time and I felt like an intruding outsider. Jonas saw me and motioned for me to come closer. He held out his hand and took mine, putting it on top of Jo's back with his hand over mine.

The group hug started to loosen and Jonas spoke up. "Dear, would you and Jo go and get some of that ice cream I like so much? I need to speak with Gary alone."

The ladies and I were all confused, but they kissed Jonas and did as he asked. Jonas looked out at the driveway and waited until they left. I sat in the chair closest to him.

He asked, "Do you love Jo?" The expression on my face must have said a lot. "Still haven't decided, eh?"

"I feel very strongly toward her. I believe what I feel is love, but I'm just not ready to call it that it yet."

"That's good enough for me. I'm sorry I didn't have enough time to get to know you, son. You've done so much for Jo in such a short time. Thank you for getting her a shot at a great job." I nodded. "And thank you for making her so happy. You've impressed me, and that's no easy task."

"I gathered that," I said with a little roll of the eyes and we laughed a little.

"I have a favor to ask you," Jonas said pausing. "Well two actually."

I nodded saying, "Anything."

"First, I need you to be strong for both my wife and daughter. This is going to be very difficult for them. They'll need someone who can help see them through this."

"Of course. It'd be my honor."

Jonas smiled a little, but quickly adopted a serious look. "The second favor's going to seem a bit odd, but I want someone to do this that can commit to it."

"What is it you want?"

"I want you to deliver my eulogy."

Blood rushed from my head as the shock hit me. "You what? Me? Surely there are people who know you better or for a longer time who would be happy..."

He held up a hand to stop me. "I am asking you. I wrote something I want you to say to Joanne and Jo in the eulogy and the rest is up to you. They won't be able to get through it."

"But me, sir?" He shot me a disapproving look. "Sorry, Jonas."

"Please. I insist."

I thought about it and had a better idea. "For you, anything." I proceeded to tell him about my idea.

"I knew I picked the right man for the job!"

We spent some time going over my plans and preparing the eulogy. I texted Jo to stay away for another hour, having a great start by the time the ladies returned. I hoped that I had at least a week, but there was an awful lot to do.

Joanne and Jo returned, and Joanne called out from the door, "Did you boys get to know each other better?"

"We sure did," I said exchanging a knowing look with Jonas.

"I want to go to the old car show tomorrow, and then your mom and I are going up to the cabin one last time," Jonas said to Jo.

I walked over to Jo and pulled her into a hug and kiss. "I'll get going so that you can spend time with your parents. Do you mind if I use your car to get home?"

Jo latched onto me. "Stay, please?" She looked so fragile, so ready to fall apart with the slightest provocation.

"I'm not sure that's..."

"Mom, can he stay with us tonight?" she asked looking into my eyes.

"Oh, I don't know, honey," Joanne said looking at Jonas. Jonas blinked and Joanne turned back saying, "It's decided. Gary?"

Jo was pleading with her eyes. Jonas made me promise. "I would be happy to."

In her little twin bed that night, Jo asked me, "What were you boys doing while we were away?"

"We were discussing selling you ladies to Dubai as sex slaves to pay for everything. It's definitely something you'd excel at!" I cheekily responded.

Jo thumped my chest with her fist for that, and I deserved it.

"Seriously though, it's something you'll eventually figure out. But for now let's just call it a surprise, ok?" Jo nodded against my chest. "Are you doing all right?"

"I don't know. It's hard to take..."

I kissed her forehead and hugged her close, which was easy since she had to be practically on top of me in that small bed. "Make the most of the time you have with him."

We all had a wonderful day together on Sunday, going out for brunch and looking at all of the beautifully restored antique cars. Jonas even found what looked like his first car, down to the paint job and interior. He started to cry at the memories and the thought of everything that had happened since. The owner of the car practically begged him and his ladies to sit in the car after he found out what was going on. I took up the camera duties.

Joanne and Jonas left straight from the show and Jo and I returned home. She went to work on her résumé while I went to work on my task. I had to find a way to get more time alone to work on it since it was something Jonas made me promise to keep as a surprise. Luckily Jo kept her work hours for Memorial Day and Tuesday. Even still, there weren't enough hours.

I took her out to eat at an Indian restaurant. I'd been talking about it enough since she moved in, but Jo wasn't enthused about trying something that new. For some reason she agreed that night. Thankfully she enjoyed it and even said she wanted to go back!

That night we just talked and cuddled. Jo, understandably, had too much on her mind.

I got a lot done on Memorial Day because Jo was working the entire day straight through. I also spent a little time setting up an idea I had, something simple but one that was going to require a bit more time.

Jo went the next day to hand in her application for the positions that I told her about. I went in early and spoke to Sally to let her know. She insisted on knowing what time Jo would arrive and what she looked like. I happened to be going to a meeting at the same time. From the second floor I watched while Sally greeted a surprised Jo as she entered the building, walking her in and leading her back for an interview.

I arrived home that night to an empty house. I quickly took care of the yard work and went in to make a late meal. Then I continued my work on the eulogy.

When Jo came home she seemed a little angry. "Did you pull some strings to get me a job?"

"I only told Sally this morning that you were coming in. That was the extent of my involvement today and you already know the rest." She looked at me sternly. "I swear that's it," I said defensively. "Why?"

She softened hearing that. "They offered me a position doing graphics design! Entry level but I wouldn't have expected anything else. They'll even work with my school schedule!"

I stood and went to hug her. "Jo, that's wonderful! Congratulations!"

She held out a hand to keep me away. "Are you sure you didn't have anything to do with it?"

"Not a thing. Did you go in with your portfolio?"

"Yes, such as it is," she said in a way that suggested that even she wasn't impressed.

"Sally is a tough interviewer and has never failed me when I needed a qualified applicant. If she offered you the position, then you deserved it!"

Jo relaxed. "Thanks for getting my foot in the door!" she said as she reached out to hug me.

"When are you going to quit the store?"

"Not right away. After I start I'll just go weekends for the time being. The discount is too nice to quit right away. There are a couple of things I have waiting for me that I want to get."

Jo went off to pack a couple of bags and I followed her. "I'm off the rest of the week and am going to Mom & Dad's tonight so that I can be there in the morning."

"When did they get home?"

"Around noon. Dad's pain started today, or at least the pain he's told Mom about." Jo looked over at me. "Will you come with me?"

"No. You should be with your parents. I'll only be in the way."

"You'll NEVER be in the way!"

I smiled warmly. "If anything happens call me and I'll get away. I'm sure Ron'll be happy to take over."

This seemed to help and we kept chatting while she packed.

Her bags in the car, she came back into the house to embrace me and give me a big kiss. "I'm going to miss you," she pouted.

"I'll miss you, too. But I'll see you soon."

Jo nodded and turned to walk to her car, stopping along the way. She rushed back into my arms and said, "I love you!" with the tightest hug of all.

I never wished I was ready to say it more than that moment, but all I said was, "I know."

She did give me another tight squeeze before turning and getting into her car. It seemed like she was having a hard time looking at me while she was driving away.

I had a hard time sleeping that night. Not only because I was alone, but also because I couldn't get the look of her disappointed face out of my mind.

I was awake long before my alarm so I went in extra early. That way I could get out earlier and do some more work on the eulogy... before I went over to Jo's parents' house.

At 9 my phone was ringing. It was Sally. "I assume that your roommate told you about the position?" she asked.

"Yes she did, and thanks for offering it to her."

"Oh, it wasn't all me. Her new boss practically begged me to hire her. He said he'd never been so impressed with the way an entry level candidate handled herself in an interview. She'll be going places in no time!"

"She'll be glad to hear that. I can't thank you enough, but especially for making sure she did this on her own."

"Gary, I don't normally meet external applicants at the door. You did have some influence to get the ball rolling, but only that. I, um, I hope you'll remember that."

"I will. I owe you one."

"Yes you do."

At lunch I tried calling Jo but she didn't answer, so I texted her. 'Hi baby, how's your dad doing?'

Her reply took a while. 'He's doing ok but his pain is increasing.'

I instantly replied, 'How are you doing?'

Ten minutes later, with my head swimming in fear the whole time, I finally received her response: 'Ok.'

My heart sank. I stared at my phone and imagined all kinds of subtext to the one word. I searched for a response. 'Call me please?'

A half hour went by with no response.

No response? I couldn't concentrate on work.

Ron saw it and at 3:30 told me to go early. "Go and save this thing. You were never really happy until you met her. Don't screw it up!" he told me.

He was right. "You got this?"

"Don't worry, of course I do."

I shook his hand and ran out the door to my car, quickly driving to Jo's parents' house. I parked on the street because there was another car in the driveway besides Jo's, and knocked at the door.

Jo answered it and was surprised to see me so early in the day. "What are you doing here?" she asked with a slight scowl, pushed me back a little, walked outside, and closed the door behind her.

I was worried. "I wanted to be here for you and your family," I said quietly. Jo looked at me expectantly, or what I perceived as such. "And I couldn't get the way you looked hurt last night out of my mind. I'm sorry..."

Jo silenced me with a finger bisecting my lips, and then her lips. When she pulled away she was smiling at me. "Forget that. Too much going on and I crossed the line..."

"No, you didn't," I said interrupting. "I never should have... I should have..." I said fumbling for what to say.

Jo again silenced me and held me tightly. "I won't say it again. Not until you can," she said with her head on my shoulder. "I'll just show you how I feel instead. Is that good?" she finished looking into my eyes.

My heart swelled, warming my entire body. I immediately hugged her in a bear hug, never wanting to let go, and rocking her slightly.

Soon enough, Jo broke the hold. "Come on, let's go inside. I want to introduce you to someone."

She pulled me inside and I found out why there was another car in the driveway. All eyes turned to us.

"Gary, meet Rick and Rita. They're two of my parents' oldest friends," she said looking at me. Then she turned to the guests and added, "This is my boyfriend, Gary."

Rick and Rita stood to greet me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Jonas mouthing something and pointing. I nodded. We all exchanged pleasantries and the guests said they were leaving. I made an excuse that I had to get something out of my car and went out with them.

Five minutes later I was back inside with two bouquets of flowers and my laptop. It was a good thing that my mind was so scattered and I did actually leave them in the car.

I handed a bouquet to each of the ladies and received a warm embrace from each. Joanne even kissed me on the cheek. "How are you feeling?" I asked looking at Jonas.

He chuckled. "I've been better," he said wincing in pain. "Oh, by the way thanks for helping Jo with her job search," he said beaming at me as best he could. "I'm so proud to have someone who'll look after my girl like that."

"I only gave her a foot in the door. She kicked it open and took charge!"

"That's an odd way of saying it," Jonas said.

"Not really. I spoke with Sally, her interviewer, and she said she and her new boss were blown away by Jo. It takes a lot to impress her," I said looking at Jo.

Jo was standing by her dad. He reached out and took her hand, squeezing it. "That's the way, dear. I knew you had it in you!" He said this with a strangled look on his face betraying his pain. Jo turned and hugged him.

I moved closer to Joanne and quietly asked, "Is the pain medication not working?"

She shook her head and tears started dripping down from the corners of her eyes. "We have to keep increasing it and he was getting upset that he was in la la land. So he's decided to grin and bear most of it." The look on her face was one of frustration mixed with helplessness.

Courageous. I just nodded. "Is he, um..." Joanne was looking at me, almost begging me to continue. "Before his time comes, is he..."

Joanne caught on to my inability to express myself properly and looked away. "He's staying here until the end."

"That won't be hard for you?"

Joanne shook her head slowly, looking down. "Don't tell Jo, but as soon as it happens I'm putting the house on the market. Jonas and I agreed. I just can't live here... after..." Joanne finished crying.

I pulled her into my arms and tried to comfort her. "I won't say anything." When she calmed down I asked, "Have you been eating much lately?" Joanne shook her head. "Tonight I'll make dinner and you and Jo can spend time with Jonas, ok?"

Joanne looked up at me. "Thank you." She placed her hand on my cheek. "Jo's so lucky to have you." She moved back to hug me again and mumbled something.

Jonas was looking at us and smiling.

Jo saw us and walked over to join the hug. She said in a soft voice, "Why are we hugging my man?"

"I was just telling him how lucky you are to have him. He's making us dinner tonight."

"Mmmm. It's no wonder I lo..." Jo halted and corrected herself. "You're so right, Mom!"

We all chatted for a while with periodic visitors stopping by as the day progressed. Eventually I went and made dinner and brought it to them on the couch where they were watching a movie together. I stayed back and worked on my project. I didn't have a lot of work to do, but was motivated to finish it quickly in case...