My Erotic Education - A Journal 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Your uncle would be in heaven wearing this as he smoked in the evening." Philip said. It went into our new pile. He drew out another robe, this silk of a finer weight in a royal blue with a prancing horse worked into the dye of the back fabric. It was short, coming barely to the top of the thigh.

"That is referred to as a hapi coat, also Japanese." Mr. Levitz said.

"Will must have that one." I told Philip.

Next, he drew out a long padded coat of woven silk, the pattern soft and diffused.

"Try it on so I can see it." I told him. He looked like some lost prince of Asia in the robe.

"That is from the steppes of Russia." Mr. Levitz commented. "The nomadic people wear that as everyday wear."

I looked into the cabinet and found another similar robe and put it on. It was soft and warm and beautiful to behold.

"We must each have these for evenings at home." I said.

On the top shelf of the wardrobe there was a pile of hats and I drew one down. It was shaped like an inverted flower pot and was made of soft felt. A long silk tassel hung from the top down one side.

"A fez, from Turkey, I believe." Mr. Levitz said.

"Your uncle." Philip said to me.

I pulled more down, a soft velvet toque and a fine beret of wool and added them to our pile by the door.

In a corner I saw bolts of cloth piled against the wall and I drew Philip over to them. He lifted a bolt of rough tweed and asked Mr. Levitz, "Is this Harris Tweed?"

"You are a true connoisseur." Mr. Levitz replied. "It is indeed. It is rare to find such a large bolt and especially outside of the British Isles. You can see the import label still affixed."

"You shall definitely take this." Philip said to me. "Mr. Steinberg shall enjoy fashioning a suit of this fabric for you."

He drew out another bolt, a fine patterned creamy colored silk.

"This also goes with us." he said.

His next find was a large bolt of dark blue wool, soft to the touch and very light.

"Is this a bolt of cashmere?" he asked.

"Right you are again." Mr. Levitz replied and Philip added it to our growing pile. In another corner I saw the glow of jewel like tones in the dimness. When I unrolled the carpet, for that is what is was, I was struck by the vibrant colors and intricate designs woven into it.

"Persian," Mr. Levitz told me, "and hand woven of silk. That is why the colors shine so."

"Another item that your uncle will treasure." Philip said. It landed on our pile.

Nearby, still in a shipping crate I saw the corner of a gilt frame. Drawing aside the fabric draped over it I saw that the crate contained a painting of about four by four feet. It depicted a nude man, turned three quarters away from the viewer as he struggled to control a huge stallion. What was remarkable was that the figure bore a startling resemblance to The Major. The painter, whoever he was, was also I admirer of the male backside and had limned an ass of unearthly beauty.

"European," Mr. Levitz commented over my shoulder, "French I would say. Unfortunately unsigned and a bit risqué for most tastes. But superbly painted. Notice how the musculature of the horse is echoed by the musculature of the man. An allegory, most likely. Man combating nature or man combating his animal nature, some such."

"Is it frightfully expensive?" I asked.

"If you desire it, we can come to terms." he replied. I moved further into the room and lit upon a glass showcase which contained several leather containers of distinctive shape.

"Are these smoking pipes?" I asked.

"They are." Mr. Levitz replied. "Feel free to examine them."

I opened the case and drew them out, one after the other. Each was more beautiful than the last and the final one was the best of all. The bowl was carved to depict a bear's head, jaws open and teeth exposed as it growled at the viewer. It was a masterpiece of modeling.

"German, probably from the Black Forest region." Mr. Levitz said. "One of a kind."

"It will make a wonderful gift." I said and put it to the side.

At the bottom of the case I noticed two flat bags of purple velvet and I drew them out. I opened the first one and unveiled a silver platter with shallow indentations around the rim. In the center, surrounded by arabesques was a six pointed star that I recognized as a Hebrew symbol. The other bag contained a similar platter, plainer and heavier but also with the star.

"Those are Passover Seder plates." Mr. Levitz said. "Very old, probably from eastern Europe. I got them from an estate of an old man who had no living relatives. They were someone's heirlooms. Very finely made and pure silver. In my religion they are used for one of our holiest days."

He fingered the plainer of the two and said, "I should have kept this one for myself but I have children to feed. Besides, it is probably too fine for a shop keeper."

"Is this something Mr. Steinberg would like?" I asked.

"Steinberg should only dream of owning something this fine." he replied. "Would you sell them to me? I have two Jewish friends that I'd like to give them to."

"You have very lucky friends." he said. "Yes, everything is for sale though I hate to see them go."

I added them and the pipe to my pile. Philip and I carried our plunder into the other room and added it to the items already piled atop the table. As I did so, I saw a pair of boots on the shoe table that had heavy hobnailed soles, perfect for tramping over rough terrain. They also fit me and I added them to the bounty.

"You go out front and look around and allow Mr. Levitz and me to come to terms." Philip said and practically pushed me out of the room before closing the door.

I ambled around the huge space and was admiring a stuffed opossum when I became aware of rising voices in the back room. Among other words I heard brigand, extortionist, highway man and bandit shouted. The sound rose alarmingly.

"Should we go in and stop them?" I asked Irving, who had also come to the door to listen.

"Not a chance." he replied. "My Pop is having the time of his life. I haven't heard him have this much fun in months."

The noise continued as inside the closed room they went at it hammer and tongs. There was wailing, the sound of fists beating on tables, the words starving children, robber and criminal were flung at each other. Finally, the volume began to lower and Irving wandered off.

The door was flung open and Philip and Mr. Levitz emerged, brows wet and Mr. Levitz's arm draped around Philip's shoulders.

"Well, you got the best of me this time but I'll make up for it in the future." Philip told Mr. Levitz. Mr. Levitz called out for Irving and told him, "We must get these gentlemen's purchases ready to be loaded." and he and Irving returned to the back room.

"Were you able to buy the painting?" I asked Philip.

"I got it all." he replied.

"And did he really get the best of you?"

Philip lowered his voice and whispered, "I got all of it for two hundred dollars. The painting alone is worth more than that but it never hurts to let the opposing side think they are the victor."

I went into the room where Mr. Levitz and his son were bundling the items up and picked up the pipe case and the two silver platters.

"These I will carry on my lap." I said.

We all began to carry out our bounty and Micah asked, "Did you purchase the entire store?"

"It feels that way," I said, "but I'm sure I missed more treasures."

The last item was the crated painting and Mr. Levitz and his son carried it out and secured it in the wagon.

"It's a good thing that you had the forethought to bring a carriage with a cargo area." Mr. Levitz said.

He put out his hand to shake mine and I said as we grasped hands, "There is only one more thing."

"And what is that?" he asked.

"May I bring my uncle and his friend and The Major to your store? I'm sure that there are things that they will wish to purchase and more that I will want, too."

"Please, bring them any time. You are all welcome."

"And I'll come along to make sure that they're not taken advantage of." Philip said.

"I look forward to doing business with you again." Mr. Levitz said, shaking Philip's hand.

I was holding the two Seder plates in my arms and I looked into the bags to ascertain the one that Mr. Levitz had particularly admired.

"I want you to have this." I said, holding it out to him.

"I can't possibly accept that." he replied.

"Please, I know that you appreciate its beauty and I bought it specifically for you."

"But how do you know that I won't just resell it?" he asked.

"You wouldn't ask me that if that was your intention. Please, it will make me so happy to know that you have it and I gave it to you. And, should you decide to sell it, it belongs to you and I'll be happy to know that you have made a profit on it."

Mr. Levitz accepted the gift and hugged it to his chest.

"I shall never sell it." he said. "And my children shall never sell it. Each year when we use it I will say a prayer for you."

"And that is more valuable to me than anything I purchased today." I said.

Mr. Levitz wrapped his arms around me and squeezed me in a tight embrace and then he and his son went back into the store.

Philip beckoned to one of the many street Arabs hanging about. The boy, a thin 8 year old, came forward.

"What is your name, young man?"

"Daniel." the youngster replied.

"Would you like to earn some money?" Philip asked him.

"What do I have to do for it?" he answered suspiciously.

"Do you know Mr. Steinberg's shop on S**** Street?" he asked.

"I know where that is."

Philip took two quarters from his pocket and showed them to the child.

"I'll give you these if you run as fast as you can to Mr. Steinberg's shop and tell him that his customers from earlier today are on their way to see him. If you wait and help us to unload some items, I'll give you two more quarters." Philip told him.

He handed the coins to the ragamuffin who took off at a trot.

"Back to the tailor's shop, then?" Micah asked.

We assented and climbed into the burdened carriage. It seemed only a few minutes before we were once again standing in front of Mr. Steinberg's shop. Daniel, the boy, was sitting cross legged on the pavement out front hungrily eating a large bowl of chicken soup and noodles. He gulped down the last few mouthfuls and rushed to assist us,

Mr. Steinberg, standing in the open doorway said, "Your young friend looked like he needed a good meal after his haste to get here. To what do I owe the honor of your patronage so soon after this morning?"

"We have things to show you and things to discuss." I replied.

We began to unload select items from our treasure trove and carry each into the shop. When all of the things I wanted were inside, I began to show them to Mr. Steinberg.

"At Mr. Levitz's emporium I discovered some old friends that you may recognize." I told him, opening the bundle of suits. He lifted each item into the air and inspected it and when he had examined them all he said, "But, I know who I made these for. How did Levitz get them?"

"He bought them in an estate." I replied. "When I saw that they were your work, I couldn't leave them behind. I remembered how you were kind enough to supply me with a suit from your back room when I was in urgent need, so I thought that maybe you could keep these and do the same with them when someone is in need. You may even know of recipients already."

"I may, indeed." Mr. Steinberg replied. "There are many young men who might find a new suit the step up they need to a better life. You're very thoughtful."

"We have other things to show you, also." I said.

I showed him the bolt of tweed fabric that Philip had discovered and he said, "I don't think I've ever seen a full bolt of Harris Tweed. Did this also come from Levitz?"

"It did," I replied, "Philip says it is of the best quality."

"It will make a stunning suit that will last for years." Mr. Steinberg said. "What other treasure has that old bandit been hoarding?"

Next I struggled to present the large bolt of blue cashmere. Mr. Steinberg fingered the edge of the cloth and announced, "Pure cashmere, very fine."

"I was hoping that there would be enough to fashion a suit for both Philip and myself." I told him.

"My quick assessment tells me that there may be." Mr. Steinberg said.

Finally, I withdrew the bolt of silk.

"This is the finest Chinese silk." Mr. Steinberg said. "Suitable for many things, shirts, undergarments, I can even see it used as a nightshirt."

Finally, I brought forth the green suit that I had envisioned Will wearing.

"Do you think that this is something that you can alter to fit our Will?" I asked.

Mr. Steinberg examined the suit, looking at each seam.

"It will be easily altered." he said.

"And can you do so without Will's knowledge? I want to give it to him as a surprise."

"Assuredly," Mr. Steinberg replied. "I have all of his measurements already. It does my heart good to see my handiwork being used again. This suit was for an elderly gentleman who never had the chance to wear it before he died. It is good that it will find a home other than that old robber's store room."

"All of your standard fees will apply in our transactions in the future, Mr. Steinberg." I said. "I have received wonderful news today that I still haven't fully grasped concerning my financial situation and though I value your offer to give me a bargain price, I insist on paying what your toils are worth to me."

"I will not argue with such a forceful young man, although usually my customers are striving to persuade me to lower rather than raise my fees." Mr. Steinberg replied, smiling.

"Good! Now, I have another request. May I bring a good friend to see you in view of having a suit made? He was struck by the quality of the garments I'm wearing and insisted upon an introduction to the maker."

"Of course your friend will be welcomed. Just let me know when you wish to bring him by and I will make sure that my time is at his disposal. I knew that a handsome young man clad in my handiwork would be the best advertising I could wish for and I'm gratified to be proven right so soon."

"Very well, then. Now I'm afraid that I have even more favors to beg of you." I said. I undid another parcel and drew forth the velvet toque and the French beret that I had purchased earlier.

"I bought these two with you in mind." I told him. "Both of them will fit over your cap that you always wear. I worry about you catching cold or flu from stray drafts while you are working and I'd prefer you be protected."

Mr. Steinberg chuckled and picked up the velvet toque. Walking to the mirror, he put it on and adjusted it, then turned to face Philip and myself.

"I knew that such a hat would look good on you." I said. "Although I find it hard to believe, it makes you even handsomer."

"It is quite flattering." Philip seconded. "I must commend your good taste."

Mr. Steinberg, wreathed in smiles, picked up the French beret and donned it. After adjustments, he turned to model it for us.

"Now, that is very natty." Philip said. "You look ready to stroll the boulevards of any European capital."

"You look the model of the sophisticate." I said.

"I will accept your gifts and wear them proudly." Mr. Steinberg said. "It has been a long time since I have had anyone worry after my health and I quite like the feeling."

"And now I have one final request." I said. I picked up the velvet bag containing the Passover platter and presented it to him.

"I feel somewhat awkward giving you this because I'm not familiar with its use or meaning but Mr. Levitz assured me it was an appropriate gift."

Mr. Steinberg opened the bag and drew forth the Seder plate. His eyes widened and he cradled it in his arms like a baby while his fingers traced the scroll work and symbols worked on it.

"This is very, very old." Mr. Steinberg said. "And, if I'm not mistaken, solid silver. A fine antique such as this belongs in a museum."

"Do you like it?" I asked. "Was I too forward in thinking it would be acceptable?"

"My darling young man, this is the finest gift anyone has ever wanted me to have. I'm not sure I can accept it, though. It is much too fine and costly."

"But you deserve fine and costly, you deserve the best of everything. I thought that it was outstanding, that's why I thought of you when I saw it."

Mr. Steinberg's eyes glistened and he seemed at a loss for words. Finally he said, "It would be brutish of me to not accept a gift given with such an open heart. It will be the treasure of my household and I shall think of you every time I gaze upon it."

He put the platter down and embraced me tightly in his strong arms.

"And you are my treasure, also." he whispered into my ear.

I embraced him back, just as warmly and regretted having to finally set him free.

"We must go." I said, my throat choked with emotion. "My poor uncle probably thinks that we've been kidnapped and are being held for ransom, we've been gone so long."

Mr. Steinberg accompanied us out to the sidewalk where Micah and Daniel were busy discussing the finer points of horse flesh.

I saw a long, freighted look pass between Micah and Mr. Steinberg and Micah said, "I've been thinking of having some clothing made. If I stopped by, do you think you could take my measurements and suggest something I'd find pleasant?"

"I believe I know just what you might like and it will be a pleasure to serve you." Mr. Steinberg replied.

Daniel, meanwhile, was conversing with Philip whom I overheard say, "Are you busy at the moment?"

"I have promised to stay and help Mr. Steinberg for a while, cleaning and sweeping his shop. He is offering to pay me."

"Very good!" Philip replied. "I was wondering, when you finish this job, if you could do me another service. We were expecting guests this evening who have had to cancel and we have made an excess of food, most of which will go to waste now. Could you possibly come to our home and help us to eat some of the unwanted cooking? It would be a great favor."

"I could do that, since it will just go to waste." Daniel replied.

Philip jotted down our address and handed the note to Daniel. I saw a smile pass between him and Mr. Steinberg.

We regained our seats in the carriage and bid our farewells.

"I'll look forward to your visit." Mr. Steinberg told Micah as we pulled away, and smiling, Micah gave him a curt nod.

After a few moments Micah said, "Mr. Steinberg is certainly a fine figure of a man."

"You both are fine figures. I hope that the two of you will become great friends and only grow in closeness." I replied.

"My thoughts, exactly." Micah said.

Moments later we pulled up in front of my uncle's door and, as luck would have it, he and Will were just returning from their day of business. We all, including Micah, proceeded to unload my purchases and pile them in the entry hall to be opened. I noticed my uncle giving Micah several appraising looks.

When everything was unloaded, I followed Micah back to his carriage and when he turned to take his leave I said, "I believe you are a pipe smoker, aren't you?"

"I am, how did you know that?" he asked.

"When I whispered in your ear earlier, I smelled the tobacco smoke in your hair. It smelled wonderful." Micah colored, embarrassed.

"I have a gift for you." I said. From my jacket pocket I produced the pipe and case that I had purchased earlier and handed it to him.

He opened the case while looking surprised and after seeing the pipe he said, "This is a very fine gift for someone whom you've only just met."

"But not for someone who I look forward to becoming much, much more intimately acquainted with."

"You can be confident of that outcome at your earliest convenience." Micah said. "You know where to find me and I'll be waiting for your summons."