On Thin Ice Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MugsyB
MugsyB
2,732 Followers

Down in the kitchen, Zane whistled as he pulled out the food. He made one sandwich and put it on a plate on the table for Meg, then made one double the size for himself. A grin spread across his face as he thought about what he was doing. It was something so mundane that he'd done a dozen times since she'd moved in with him and yet, everything was different.

Who knew anyone could be this happy?

He sat down at the table and ate his sandwich in record time, guzzling a glass of milk to wash it down. Meg still hadn't come down when he stood up to make another one. When he polished off that one, and she still wasn't in the kitchen, Zane frowned. What could be keeping her? Maybe she'd fallen back asleep.

Zane smiled but some unnamed doubt stayed with him as he tidied up and wrapped her sandwich to save for later. He walked back upstairs to find her bedroom door closed. He was about to open it and walk in but something made him stop. Instead of barging in, he knocked. There was no answer and he knocked again, calling her name.

There was some shuffling and rustling and then the door opened to reveal a dishevelled Meg. Zane grinned at her appearance. It was obvious she had fallen asleep.

"Zane, it's nearly midnight."

"Is it? I hadn't noticed the time." He stepped closer to her, his arms sliding around her waist. "I'm not tired at all."

He bent his head to kiss her but she dodged him and pushed his arms away. "Zane, stop."

"What's wrong?"

Meg paced away from him, retreating into her dark bedroom. Zane watched her shadow and blinked when she turned on her bedside lamp. She faced him again with a frown and her arms crossed over her chest.

"Meg, what's going on?"

"I'm tired, Zane. This has been...a long day and I just want to sleep."

Zane felt like he'd just been sucker-punched. Was she going to act like nothing had happened?

Well, this is just not going down like this.

With a scowl, Zane crossed the room and pulled her into his arms, ignoring her squeak of protest. He covered her mouth with his and kissed her hard. He didn't let her twist away and didn't let her do anything but kiss him back. She grasped his arms to hold on as he bent her over and stroked her tongue with his.

When at last he drew back, Zane could see the cloudy lust in her eyes. He'd proven his point, at least for the moment. Keeping his eyes on hers, he pressed one more light kiss to her lips and then released her.

"Good night, Meg." He stepped back and smiled. "We will talk in the morning."

With that, he turned and left her alone in her room.

****

As it turned out, Zane didn't get a chance to talk to Meg in the morning. She was gone when he got up around ten. He hadn't meant to sleep so late but he'd been more tired than he'd thought. That reminded him of why he was tired and he lay on the couch for a few minutes after breakfast, wallowing in the memory of Meg naked and writhing under him. Then he got hard and covered his face with a groan.

After a shower, he felt more in control of his body. He dressed and went out to run some errands before hurrying home. Still, Meg wasn't there. Zane paced through the empty house, tried to watch TV, surfed the web and nothing got rid of the annoyance he felt for being ditched by Meg.

It was irrational and maybe he should allow her time to adjust to what had happened. If the tables were turned, he was sure he wouldn't know how to react. It didn't make his situation any less frustrating.

Zane stood at the window in his office and stared at the gloomy grey clouds hanging over the city. It had been threatening to snow for days even though it was still early in November. Zane didn't care about the snow. Some of his best memories were from the winters he'd spent in Minnesota as a kid. Most of those memories featured Meg, of course.

With a sigh, Zane rubbed a hand over his face. Doubts swept over him for the first time since he'd thrown himself at Meg the night before. Her absence all day wasn't making things easier. All along, he'd told himself he could be patient but now he didn't know how long that patience would hold. Then he berated himself for doubting at all.

Meg just needs some time, he reminded himself. He had thrown a wild curve at her last night and no matter what had followed, it was still a monumental change.

When she comes home, we'll talk. And everything will be fine.

Still, the grey clouds remained and Zane's scowl stayed on his face.

****

Meg knew she was being childish but she just couldn't face Zane the next day. She'd woken early on purpose and left the house before she'd heard him stirring. After she'd driven a block away, she realized she didn't have a clue where to go. It was Sunday morning and the sky was dark with ominous-looking clouds. There would be no shops or malls open yet and she couldn't justify going to school on a Sunday. So she drove to a coffee shop about halfway between school and home and lounged there for a few hours.

After several cups of coffee and a couple newspapers, Meg was still too agitated to return home but she knew she couldn't stay at the coffee shop for the rest of the day. She also knew she was still too afraid to face Zane. With a sigh, she pulled out her cell and called Nikki.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Nikki. It's Meg."

"Hey! What are you up to this fine Sunday?"

Meg snorted. "'Fine Sunday?' I hope you're not one of those freaks who actually enjoys cloudy days."

Nikki laughed. "Wouldn't live north of Virginia if I didn't."

"Oh man."

"What's up?"

Meg shrugged even though she knew Nikki couldn't see her. "I was just killing time in a coffee shop near the school and I wondered what you were up to. Maybe see if you wanted to go shopping or catch a movie or something."

"That sounds great. I was just going to be completely lazy today but I really should get off my ass at some point."

Meg laughed. She hadn't known Nikki a very long time but she already liked the other woman and loved her sense of humor. "I wouldn't want to mess with your plans."

"Oh please. I feel ashamed even talking about being lazy. I still can't believe you play hockey for fun!"

"It's not for everyone."

"You got that right. OK, where do you want to meet? I'll need at least an hour to make myself look like less of a bum."

Meg laughed and told her where the coffee shop was. Nikki was familiar with it and promised to meet her there in the promised hour. An hour and fifteen minutes later, Nikki rushed into the coffee shop, looked flushed and harried.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I tried, I really, really tried to be on time!" She hurried to Meg's side and leaned down to give her a quick hug.

Meg laughed and hugged her back, pleased by the friendly gesture. "It's fine. I was just finishing my latte."

Nikki smiled as she sat next to Meg. "I'm not usually such a flake but your call surprised me."

Meg flushed. "If you'd rather have stayed in, I wouldn't mind."

"No, no! I'm glad you called. I think we've become friends, right? Why shouldn't we spontaneously shop on a cloudy Sunday?"

"We are friends. Aside from Zane, you're my only friend here." Meg tried not to wince. It wasn't painful but she was uncomfortable with the wash of memories as she spoke his name.

"Well, you've only been here, what, three months? Plenty of time to make more friends." Nikki paused and narrowed her eyes at Meg. "You're not planning on leaving anytime soon, are you?"

Meg shook her head without thinking. As awkward as things might be with Zane right now, she didn't want to leave.

"Good. Now, I need a coffee. You think about what we should do first while I'm gone."

The two women spent the rest of the day strolling through the mall, eating a late lunch at Nikki's favorite restaurant and then arguing over what movie to see. Nikki was all for the latest romantic comedy, something that looked beyond cheesy. Meg wasn't in the mood for romance and was arguing to watch a new slasher movie.

"Ugh, I am not watching a bunch of big-breasted naked women get cut to pieces by a psychopath." Nikki's face screwed up in an expression of disgust.

Meg laughed and turned back to the listings in the newspaper they'd borrowed at the restaurant. "OK, fine. But I don't want a romance, either."

"Why not? Just because you've got the Zane Pritchard all to yourself doesn't mean the rest of us aren't still looking."

Meg blushed and stammered as she tried to change the subject but Nikki was too observant.

"Wait a second, I was kidding." She laid a hand on Meg's arm. "Has something happened between you two?"

Meg shook her head, still unable to form a complete sentence. She hadn't intended to share recent events with Nikki, no matter how good a friend she considered the woman but the way Nikki was gaping at her now, she might have no choice.

"Meg, it's OK if you don't want to tell me, but you know you can talk to me about anything." She sat up straight and held her hand in the air, as if she was taking an oath of office. "I solemnly swear to not judge, laugh at your discomfort or ever tell anyone your secrets."

Meg couldn't help the strangled laugh that escaped her at Nikki's heartfelt declaration. "All right, fine." She drew in a deep breath. "I'll spare you the gory details."

Nikki bit her lip, no doubt to contain her whoop of excitement.

"Zane invited me to skate after one of his practices. A couple of the guys from the team stayed too and we ended up having a two-on-two game." Meg smiled at the memory. In spite of Zane's temper tantrum at the end, it had been a good time. She went on to explain about Zane's outburst and their argument at home later.

"Oh my God." Nikki held her hand to her mouth and stared at Meg with wide eyes. "He actually told you he wants to...see you? Like, romantically?"

Meg nodded, warmth spreading all through her. Unbidden, the memories of their drugged kisses rose in her mind, along with the feeling of his hard, naked body pressing her down into her bed.

"What did you do?" Nikki asked and then held a hand towards her. "Minus the gory details, of course."

Meg giggled and nodded. She glossed over the main event and then waited for Nikki's response to her fleeing the house early that morning.

"Wow. I just...wow."

Meg sighed. "That's about where I'm at."

Nikki nodded as she studied Meg's face. "Meg, you're going to have to go home eventually."

Meg groaned and covered her face with her hands. "I know! I just didn't know what to do this morning. What do I say to him now? How do we even begin to talk about this?"

Nikki gave a light laugh and patted her hand. "Start with 'hey, how was your day?' and go from there."

"It's not that simple."

Nikki shrugged one shoulder. "I wouldn't know. I've never even come close to this sort of situation before. But Meg, you said it to him last night, you don't to ruin your friendship above all, right?"

Meg nodded.

"Well, avoiding him like this won't help your friendship. You have to go home and talk to him, however awkward and awful it might be."

"I know." Meg hung her head in her hands for a few moments longer and then Nikki gave her a comforting hug before standing up.

"Come on. I won't make you go home yet. I've actually been dying to see the new George Clooney movie."

Meg laughed and agreed. It was neither a romance nor a horror so she knew she could deal with it. She stood up and Nikki hooked her arm through Meg's as they walked out of the restaurant.

****

After the movie, Meg knew she had to go home. Nikki sent her off with a 'good luck' and a hug and Meg drove home. The house was dark when she pulled up but she was determined now. She knew what she was going to say and how she thought she could best handle this whole situation. The only thing she didn't know was how Zane might react.

A smile touched her lips as she thought about it. He was, after all, a man and their reactions were very base and instinctual, which would work in her favor.

As she parked the car, she drew in a deep breath and got out. Inside the house, she found that there was a light on. She walked in to see Zane lying on the couch, remote control in an outstretched hand, and he was fast asleep.

Stifling a laugh, she walked over and stared down into his face for a second. He looked troubled, a small frown lining his forehead and his lips were pursed. Meg sighed and reached for the remote. Just as she was prying it from his fingers, he gave a jerk and woke up.

"What the...Meg?" He sat up and rubbed his face. "When did you get home?"

Meg felt a jolt zing through her at his husky voice and the sleepy look in his dark eyes. "Just now. It's only nine. I didn't think you'd be sleeping already."

Zane shrugged. "I had a busy day." He let go of the remote and stood up, walking several steps away from Meg.

"Did you?"

"Did I what?"

Meg cringed at his rough tone. She didn't know if he was mad or just annoyed at being woken up but his attitude wasn't making this easy for her.

"Did you have a busy day?"

He whirled around to face her, a scowl on his face. "No. No, I didn't actually. I spent most of the day wondering where the hell you'd disappeared to."

OK. So he was mad.

Meg straightened and pulled her jacket off. "I went out with Nikki. We had plans to spend the day together."

Zane's eyes narrowed as she walked past to hang her jacket up in the front hall closet and when she turned around again, he was leaning against the wall, his arms crossed over his chest.

"You sure you weren't just avoiding me?"

Meg drew in a deep breath and shrugged. "Not intentionally."

Zane rolled his eyes and turned to walk back into the living room. Meg followed, determined to see this through. She'd be damned if she let one night ruin everything they had together.

"Zane, I'm sorry for leaving this morning without telling you."

Zane didn't say anything. He just walked over and plunked himself down on the couch. Meg sat next to him and waited for him to turn to face her.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't know what to do when I got up."

"You seemed to know last night when you told me you were tired."

Meg flushed as the memory of his responding kiss swept over her. Her body warmed all over and she fought the urge to fidget in her seat. "I was tired. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

Zane blew his breath out and gave a light laugh. "You didn't hurt my feelings. I just didn't know you'd react like that."

"I didn't know I would either."

Zane looked over and smiled. "So you don't hate me?"

"Z, I could never hate you." On impulse, Meg moved closer and took his hands in hers. "It was just...a lot to take in, you know?"

Zane's eyebrows shot up and she blushed when she heard the double entendre in her words. She groaned and tried to jerk her hands from his but Zane laughed. He tugged her closer and wrapped his arms around her.

"Relax, Meg. I know what you mean."

"Do you?" She pulled back and looked up into his familiar dark eyes.

"I do. I'm sorry for ever making you feel like you couldn't talk to me."

"Well, I'm here now and we're talking."

"So we are."

For a long moment, neither of them spoke. Meg became aware of how warm his embrace was and how his arms felt around her body. She swallowed with some difficulty and ignored the responding jolt in her body when she saw Zane's eyes darken.

"We need to figure this out." She just managed to get the words out and was surprised at how husky her voice sounded.

"Figure what out?"

"Don't be difficult, Z. We need to talk about what this means."

"OK. What does it mean?"

Meg raised her eyebrows and fought the urge to punch him in the stomach. Was he being deliberately obtuse or was he teasing her?

"Zane, I don't want to lose you."

His eyes shot wide open and his smile disappeared. "Have I gone somewhere?"

"Not yet." Meg looked away and bit her lower lip. "But if things go wrong, we could end up really hating each other."

"Never. Not in a million years."

His swift and emphatic response warmed Meg's heart and she met his eyes again. "But Zane, we'd be sleeping together. What happens when one of us meets someone else? Someone we want to date?"

Zane's expression froze. Meg watched him, her heart thumping hard against her ribs. Here it was, the neutral offer she'd decided on.

"I mean, we're not talking about commitment here, are we?" She went on in a rush, afraid that if she didn't get her whole explanation out now, she never would. "I want to stay friends but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a repeat of last night." She blushed and looked down. "Several repeats even."

Zane didn't say anything for a minute and Meg waited, her stomach in knots.

"Let me get this straight." Zane's voice was hoarse when he spoke at last. "You want to be friends. With benefits?"

Meg grimaced at the term but she knew that it was true. Yes, that's exactly what she wanted. She couldn't deal with the rejection if their relationship didn't survive and she lost both a lover and her best friend. This way, she figured they could keep things as close to normal as possible.

"Is that...is that all right?"

When he didn't answer right away, she risked a look at his face. His expression was unreadable, which was unsettling since Meg had always been able to guess what his thoughts were. She reached up with one hand to smooth the furrowed brow and his eyes dropped to meet her gaze. She sucked in a breath at his dark gaze.

"It's all right, Meg." It was all he said before he dropped his lips to hers.

She gasped and his tongue slid beyond her lips to ruthlessly claim her mouth. She clung to him, squirming now and all but climbing into his lap.

Oh yes, this was exactly as she remembered from the night before and she couldn't imagine not doing this with him now. As the dangerous thought skittered through her mind, Meg broke away from his kiss and sucked in air like she'd been drowning. Her heart thudded against her chest and she couldn't meet Zane's eyes.

Then he clamped his fingers on her chin and forced her face towards his.

"You have any objection to starting this 'benefits' thing tonight?" His words and tone were neutral, polite even, but Meg could see the tension in his face. She wasn't given a moment to dwell on it as he took her mouth in another bone-melting kiss before she could answer.

After another few seconds, he let her go and waited with an expectant expression.

"No objection," she whispered and shivered when Zane's arms tightened around her.

"Good."

Without another word, he swept her shirt over her head and palmed her breasts as he kissed her again. Meg gasped in shock at his actions but it turned to a moan as he delved into her mouth with his tongue. She opened for him, her arms going around his shoulders to hold on as he adjusted their positions.

He pushed her off the couch, breaking their kiss. Meg stared down at him in a daze as he reached for the button on her jeans. Realizing his intent, she helped him, sliding the zipper down and wriggling out of the jeans and underwear in a swift move. Zane met her eyes and pulled her back down to him.

She straddled his lap and wrapped her arms around his shoulders again. Zane reached up and fisted his hand in her hair. Holding her breath, she waited for his kiss but he pulled her head back and licked her throat. She groaned and then panted as he traced hot, swirling patterns over her skin.

When he paused at a spot he knew was very sensitive, Meg tensed. Then he began to suck on that spot, laving the skin with the flat of his tongue. Meg moaned and began to undulate against him, moving without thinking about it. Zane's hands dropped to her backside and he brought her right up against his crotch and the hard ridge beneath his pants.

MugsyB
MugsyB
2,732 Followers