Out of Town Out of Mind

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He only vaguely heard background noise as he marched his way in a daze out the front door. At the time, the noises seemed to be somewhat human in nature, but just barely so, and from very far away. In the following days, he realized it was the desperate cries of his soon to be former wife, pleading for a chance to explain, to communicate, to apologize. The physical distance he had perceived the sound being was actually of an emotional nature. His mind blocked out all perception as a means to protect itself. If he had fully recognized that the weeping, horrible cries were his wife and what those cries meant, or even if his carryon bag hadn't been so conveniently left by the front door and he had been delayed to look for his essentials, he may have been stopped. He may have been forced to listen, and that may have forced him to sympathize or even acknowledge his own guilt and responsibilities in all of this.

But that wasn't the case, and he grabbed his few meager necessities and stepped out the front door, never to return. The next few months were a blur of lawyers, conference tables, and courtrooms. She tried in vain several more times to reach out to him; to tap the brakes on all of this. But for all practical purposes, his wife was gone, and so was her husband. Her body lived, but the woman he loved and built a life with had disappeared. He was broken, and there was no going back, not with her. Probably not with anyone, ever again.

Maybe his hotel neighbor had it right all along? Keith had always liked dogs, after all.