Queen Of Sorrows Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, ma'am," Mr. Rohan bristled at the reference to Osthollow as a territory.

"And I am told that the losses here due to the war were substantial."

"Yes, ma'am. As you can see, most of the buildings were burned out. Our fencing is down everywhere. All of our carts and wagons are gone. Thousands of head of livestock were destroyed. We don't have sufficient feed to take care of the animals that survived. The market price for a head has skyrocketed, but there aren't enough heads to meet the demand. Most of our herders won't survive the winter."

"What was the market price before the battle?"

"Let's see. One month ago cattle on the hoof were going for ninety-nine cents a pound, sheep for seventy-nine cents a pound, and hogs were fifty-nine cents a pound. Today, prices opened at six ninety-nine a pound for everything. The only problem is, we don't have carts or drivers to get anything to the slaughterhouses. We can't feed them, can't sell them, and can't deliver them. It's a clusterfuck, ma'am. Pardon my language."

Mr. Rohan looked from the Empress to Captain L Anton, and back to the Empress. He stuffed his hands in his pockets to stop them from shaking.

"No problem, Mr. Rohan. I'm here to help."

"That would be appreciated."

"Here's what we can do. The Empire will purchase every head of livestock on the premises for two ninety-nine a pound. In addition, we'll pay the stockyard a bonus of ninety-nine cents a head for every animal sold. Will that be enough cash to get you rebuilt so you're up and running again by Spring?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Will that keep the sheepherders and cattlemen alive through the Spring?"

"It'll be tight, ma'am, for some of them, but most will be fine. It's less than they would get on the open market, but more than they expected since we can't move these animals or feed them. Everybody's getting squeezed a little, but nobody's getting screwed. Pardon my language, ma'am."

"It's alright, Mr. Rohan."

"Are we done, ma'am? I've got some more work to do before the sun goes down, if you don't mind."

"Our business is finished, Mr. Rohan. I'll send enough teams in the morning to get half of these animals to the slaughterhouse. We'll get the rest next month. I don't want to collapse the price of meat by flooding the market. We need the export duties to remain stable."

"Thank you ma'am. It's a pleasure doing business with you."

* * * *

"This isn't going to work." Sofia sneered in Kiera's direction. "You can't buy the affections of the entire Kingdom."

The late afternoon sun was falling behind the mountains on the Western horizon. It would be dark before the coach returned to the palace. Sofia's smoldering glare pierced through the shadows in the rear of the coach.

"Sofia," Kiera turned and snapped, "I don't intend to."

"Then what was that display all about? What are you going to do with all that livestock? How do you plan to pay for it?"

"Stop, Sofia. Just stop. You, of all people, should understand and appreciate what I am doing. My advisors have targeted specific industrial centers that support the national economy. By propping those centers with strategic investments, we are not only preventing an economic collapse, we are easing this territory into the present century. Our plan is to integrate this backward corner of the continent into the greater whole with as minimal disruption as possible. If that means greasing some of the key cogs with cash to keep the machine running, then that's what we'll do. The goal is to keep businesses operating, laborers working, and families warm and fed through the winter. What part of that do you find objectionable?"

"The part where you decided it was necessary for Chrysanthis to declare war on Osthollow, invade our land, and murder my husband. Those parts are what I find highly objectionable."

Sofia was trembling with rage. Her face was flush and tears ran down both cheeks.

"I'm not going to do this with you, Sofia. We have an hour and half before we reach the palace." Kiera shook her head and turned toward Captain L Anton. "Bind her hands and feet. Let's see if she can argue with her mouth full of cunt. And when we get back to the Palace, take her to the Overseer."

"His orders?" The Captain asked.

"Ten lashes with his lightest cane."

"Anything else?"

"Remind him that she is not to be marked. No broken skin. She should be returned to me with a nice rosy color, but nothing that won't wear off in a few days."

* * * *

Sofia trembled as Captain L Anton led her through the Palace. The Captain repeated the Empress' instructions to Overseer Willis before transferring custody of Sofia to him.

"Why doesn't the Empress perform the discipline herself?" Overseer Willis asked.

"You have your orders, Overseer," Captain L Anton answered. "If you insist upon questioning them, I will convey your concerns to the Empress."

"That won't be necessary."

Captain L Anton turned and left.

"So," Overseer Willis said. "It didn't take you long to find yourself on the Empress' bad side. I'm not going to ask how you got there."

"Good. I'd rather not talk about it."

"Come with me," he said as he grasped Sofia's elbow.

Overseer Willis led Sofia to a room adjacent the servant's quarters. A variety of devices were arranged in the center of the room. A rack of canes of varying thicknesses and made from various materials were arranged on a rack. Another rack of assorted whips lined the far wall.

The Overseer directed Sofia to stand in front of a wooden A-shaped frame. He walked to the wall and selected a white can from the far left side of the rack.

"Place your feet here," he said as he pointed the cane at a pair of black circles painted on the floor, "and here."

Sofia stood where he directed, facing the wooden apparatus.

"Remove your uniform."

Sofia untied the belt around her waist and allowed the sheer tunic to fall to the floor.

"Now place your hands here, and here." The Overseer tapped the cane against two spots on the opposite side of the framework.

Sofia had to bend at the waist to reach the indicated points. Her naked ass stuck out and up into the air.

"I will keep count. You can cry out and scream all you like. But be careful what you say-these walls are not soundproof. I would not want you to be sent back here later this evening."

"Of course."

"Do not move your feet or hands. If you do, my aim will not be as precise. I have considerable control over the rod, but I cannot hit a moving target. Your injuries will be far more severe."

Sophia swallowed. Tears flowed freely from her eyes, but she refused to sob.

"You should know that I do not do this out of malice or anger. I take no pleasure in administering punishment. I do this because my Empress commands it."

"Why doesn't she do it herself? I thought I was her personal property."

"You are." Overseer Willis stood next to the A-frame apparatus, facing Sofia at a ninety-degree angle. "She sent you to me because she was either too busy to administer your punishment herself, or because you angered her to the point that she no longer trusted her ability to control herself. She sent you to me for your own good."

"I fail to see how sending me to be beaten with a stick is for my own good."

"Enough. It's time. Take a deep breath and exhale. And do not move or release your grip on that bar. If you do, I will have to start over."

Sofia gulped. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and exhaled.

Smack!

The rod landed on the lower portion of Sofia's soft ass, striking both cheeks evenly.

"Owww! Damn! That hurts!"

Tears flowed from Sofia's eyes.

Smack!

The second blow landed an inch above the first.

"Oh! Fuck! Shit!"

Smack!

"Enough! Stop! Please! I'll behave!"

Sofia fought the urge to let go of the bar and cover her ass with her hands.

Smack!

"No more! Please! I'll be good!"

Smack!

"Stop!" Sofia sobbed. "Stop! Please!"

Smack!

"Please! I'll do anything you want!"

Smack!

"I'll suck your cock. I'll suck it good."

Smack!

"Please! I'll do whatever you want! You can fuck me."

Smack!

"Enough! Stop! I know you want to fuck me."

Smack!

"We're finished." The Overseer returned the cane to its place on the wall.

Sofia stood up. Tears stained her face. Her ass was fiery red, but the skin was unbroken.

"Put on your uniform." Overseer Willis picked up the pale blue cloth and handed it to Sofia. "Wash your face and return to your station."

Sofia sobbed as she tied the sash around her waist.

"I don't know what you did, but I'm sure the Empress sent you to me for a reason. Reflect on your conduct. You don't want to do this again. It doesn't get any easier. I used the lightest rod in my arsenal and I was careful to avoid striking the same place twice. Next time, my instructions will be different."

"Go to hell." Sofia glared at the Overseer.

"Sofia, I allowed you to express yourself during your punishment. I've found no one who could hold their tongue while in this room. Also, it helps to remind the other slaves of the consequences of disobedience. But one you leave this room, you will be held accountable for whatever comes out of your mouth."

"Good day, Overseer."

Sofia stormed out of the room.

* * * *

It was nearly bedtime before Sofia finished her chores and was allowed to make her way to the kitchen for the evening meal. By that time the service was over, the kitchen staff had already cleaned up the area and disposed of the scraps. Two servants were prepping the morning meal, and two more were carrying sacks of flour to the bakery for the next day's bread. She looked through the stores and found herself a chunk of hard cheese, an apple that wasn't too soft, and some dried beef. This isn't much better than what I had to eat in the dungeon, but at least I'm not required to finish in fifteen minutes. And I have some clothes, sort of.

Sofia was too sore to sit, so she stood at the table nearest the doorway. She chewed on the dried beef while recounting the afternoon events. Are Kiera's ways better? Is market intervention a more effective way of fighting unemployment and hunger than family and friends providing assistance to those who need it most? Mr. Rohan did not seem to be in need of help, although some of the herders were probably suffering. No. Her ways may work in Chrysanthis, but the people of Osthollow are different. Our people look out for one another. The Kingdom would never descend into chaos, not even if the leadership fell in every sector. We're not like them.

An elbow tapping her spine snapped Sofia out of her reverie. She turned to see Sebastian-covered in flour-seated behind her.

"I saw you come into the kitchen," Sebastian whispered without turning his head. "I was getting started on the morning bread. You look-upset."

"I was punished this afternoon. Beaten, actually."

"By the Empress?"

"No. The Overseer."

"That must have been harsh."

"It was, but I suppose it could have been worse."

"How so?"

"Never mind. Tell me something."

"Yes?"

"Are their systems better than ours were? Are our people better off under the Empire's rule?"

"Not better, just different. More modern, certainly, but who's to say we wouldn't have gotten there eventually? Your husband was a wise and good King. Above all else, he was fair. The people loved him. I don't see any love for Kiera, even among her closest advisors. I think that Captain L Anton, if given the choice, would choose you over Kiera in a heartbeat."

"Is that so? How would you know that?"

"I've been watching him. He pays far too much attention to the whereabouts of the Empress' slave, when he should be focused on the needs of the Empress."

"Should I be worried about him?"

"Sofia, you should be worried about everyone, both inside and outside this palace. You're not safe here. You're not safe anywhere in Chrysanthis or Osthollow. I don't know if there's anywhere on this continent where you would be safe."

Sofia gulped. She stared straight ahead as Sebastian picked up her tray and slipped out of the room.

To be continued.