Sandy and Brad Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well there was the Australian Open," stated Sandy. "Held in Melbourne of all places. My second tour and I placed second." She hugged him. "Not too bad for a new kid on tour."

"I'm glad that you could stay that extra week," said Brad.

"I planned on it."

Brad just smiled and nodded. "The guys watched the matches with me after that."

"Why?"

"Bragging rights," replied Brad. "They could say they knew you."

Sandy leaned back against him and cuddled. "Brad," she took a deep breath before she continued, "when you gave me power of attorney ... back when you joined, I knew it was in case you did not come home. To take care of things so your parents would not have to." She looked at him and sighed. "I never thought I would have to make those decisions for your parents. After that car accident. But..." She looked silently at Brad.

Brad took her hand and held it. "Sandy, I was in a military hospital in Germany. For three months I was in an induced coma due to the concussion and swelling of my brain. And a really big crack in my skull." He looked down at the floor. "From when I ... when I got hurt. When ..." Brad looked up at Sandy. He took a deep breath then let it out. "From when I stepped on that IED." He took another deep breath and shook his head. "Sandy, I could not have made those decisions myself."

"I know, Brad" said Sandy. "The Recruiter I went to. Gunny Sargent Dale Frances, really helped out. He wants to meet you. He even went to your parents services. He made sure your father got a full Marine burial. And Sargent Frances even went to the funeral and burial."

She paused looking at Brad. "I cried when they played taps, I did not want too. But I loved your Mom and Dad. And I cried when they presented me your father's flag."

Brad just nodded.

"Brad, even my Mom cried. She really like spending time with your Mom."

Brad said, "My Mom's letters told me how our parents got to be friends. She said there would be four sets of eyeballs watching us."

"Oh my!" exclaimed Sandy standing up. "I got to let my parents know you're here!"

Brad chuckled. "Go ahead. Tell them I said 'Hi'."

Sandy leaned over and gave Brad a quick kiss. "Only a minute!" She went to the kitchen then walked back into the living room pressing keys on her phone. She then stood before Brad as she held the phone to her ear.

"Hi! Dad!" stated Sandy excitedly. "Brad's home!"

"Just today! Got here about twenty minutes ago. --- No, Dad. He's home! He's here in my living room! --- Yeah. Early release. --- Not today! --- Tomorrow? Dinner?"

Sandy looked at Brad.

Brad nodded then raised his voice. "Hi, Mr. Brooks. Dinner tomorrow will be nice. Look forward to seeing you."

"Yes, Dad. Tomorrow. --- About noon, Dad. I know. He looks good. --- I'll tell him." Sandy walked back to the kitchen. "Bye, Dad!."

Sandy closed her phone and set it on the kitchen table then walked back to Brad. "Big home coming dinner tomorrow." She sat down beside Brad. "I could hear my Mom crying in the background."

Brad just nodded.

"My Dad said to tell you 'Welcome home!" Sandy looked at Brad. "Actually he said 'he was Damn! Glad you're home.'"

"That sounds more like your Dad."

"Yeah." Sandy looked at Brad. "Guess the next few days will be parading you around to friends and relatives."

Brad hugged Sandy. "I don't mind. Just have to do it slow and easy. It's gonna take me time. To get back my strength. My stamina."

"Brad, no matter what we are doing," stated Sandy. "When you've had enough let me know. Then we'll head home or go someplace where you can rest."

"Thanks." Brad kissed Sandy on the cheek. "So. We were talking about our Moms being friends."

"Yeah, they were." Sandy chuckled. "It was interesting listening the two of them planning our wedding. For when you came back after your tour."

"Our wedding!" stammered Brad.

Sandy began giggling. "They had plans ranging from us eloping and living in a trailer park to a Grand Ball at the Naval Academy and you becoming the Marine Commandant."

"Really!"

"And then on to the White House."

"The White house!" Brad shook his head.

"Yeah, really." Sandy hugged him. "And we were to have a least one boy and one girl because our parents both wanted grandchildren."

"Grandchildren?"

"Grandchildren! So they could spoil them rotten. Fill them with candy. And then send them home to us."

Brad smiled. "Sounds like my Mom's brand of humor."

Sandy pulled him back against her. "I just wanted to hold you. To feel you against me. To have you safe in my arms again, Brad."

Brad relaxed against her. He took a deep breath and slowly let it out. And closed his eyes. Almost feeling content. His mind still filled with some doubt.


Part 2
The End


"Sandy And Brad – Ch-01"
"Home Comes The Warrior"
Part 3
"Facing The Doubt"


Sometime later Sandy spoke softy. "Brad."

"Sandy?"

"There are some things I want to tell you."

"Okay." Brad sat up and turned to face her.

"Sargent Francis was the one who kept me informed on how you were doing. He was able to push my legal status through so I could make the necessary arrangements for the services."

Sandy leaned back against him. "He also helped me get a Dependent ID so I could get over to Germany to see you. So the Doctors over there would talk to me."

Brad made to speak but Sandy touched his face. "I know, Brad." Her eyes began to tear up. "You were out of it. But I had to see you. To know you were still alive."

"Must have been hard."

"It was worse not knowing," said Sandy, wiping her eyes. "I was still fighting the legal stuff. And the hospital would not say anything because I was not family. But Sargent Francis cleared the way for me." She pouted looking at him. "I had to get back to see you. I was a total wreck after the services for your parents."

Brad gathered Sandy in his arm and hugged her. "I'll have to thank him."

"Brad," said Sandy softly, "we can go visit your parent's graves when you're ready."

Brad just nodded. He knew he was not ready for that.

Sandy pointed across the living room at a tall, five shelf, wooden bookcase with glass doors. On the top of the bookcase where there were a pair of triangular shaped, wooden, glass covered cases. "Your Grandfather's Flag is on the left. Your Father's Flag is on the right. My Dad made the bookshelf for you. Well for us. And the case for your Father's Flag so it matched your Grandfather's."

"My Dad," began Brad, "he did not like the war in Nam. But he thought it was the right thing to do. So he joined the Marines because his Father, my Grandfather was a Marine during World War II out in the Pacific. My Dad was seven when they got the news about Gramps. All I know of my Grandfather is what Gram told me growing up."

"I know, Brad," said Sandy softly. "Your parents told me a lot about your family serving. And about your Family's history going back to Bunker Hill."

"My Mom got the bug from Grandma," said Brad.

Sandy hugged him as she pointed again at the bookcase. "Those are all the books your parents had on your family. Some of the other really old documents and the older books I put in a vault for safe keeping. Only the copies your parents made are here."

Brad smiled. "My last letter from my Mom," he patted the front of his uniform jacket, "said they were doing research on an old family rumor."

"What rumor?"

Chuckling, Brad said, "Probably nothing to it. But, when George Washington was crossing the Delaware River and later defeated the British in Trenton, New Jersey, one of the men rowing the boat Washington was in, is suppose to be a Cassidy. On my Mother's side."

"Really!!" exclaimed Sandy.

Brad shrugged holding up his empty hands. "That's the rumor."

"We'll have to work on that."

Brad smiled. "Looks like I'll have time now."

Sandy touched his arm. "Are you hungry?"

"Some."

Sandy smiled. "Good. There's a couple of nice restaurants in the area. Both within a couple blocks. Or we can order in." She tilted her head. "Or you can risk your life and taste buds and try my cooking."

Snorting, Brad sputtered. "I've had your cooking before. Its not bad." Brad gave her a little smile. "Let me take you to dinner."

"Are you sure?" asked Sandy. "If you're tired I know a couple of real good take out and delivery places."

Brad looked at Sandy and nodded. "Yeah," as he yawned. "I am tired and its been a long day, but I just want to talk with you for a bit. It's been a long time, Sandy."

Smiling, Sandy touched his arm. "Want to change before we eat? Get comfortable?"

Brad nodded. He looked down at the floor. "Sandy. I'll ... need some help."

"Brad," stated Sandy, sliding over next to him and putting an arm about his shoulders. She sighed. "Brad, when you enlisted, I told you I would wait. I told you when you were ready, I would walk down the aisle with you. I promised I would marry you."

"Kind of hard to do that now," stated Brad still looking down at the floor. "Can hardly walk. Never mind standing for a long time."

"Bradford Allan Cassidy," stated Sandy firmly. "I will marry you, Brad – even if I have to - throw you over my shoulder - and carry you down the aisle myself."

Brad snorted. He turned to look at her. He smiled even as his tears dripped down his face. "I know you would. I love you, Sandy."

Sandy said softly, "Yes I would. I love you, Brad. I have for a long time."

Brad reached up to wipe his eyes.

"Brad," whispered Sandy.

He stopped. "What, Sandy?"

Sandy replied softly, "I know, Marines don't cry." She leaned closer and softly kissed first his right cheek then his left. Then she sat up and looked at him intently. "But, I'm glad that you still can."

Brad just hugged her and held on to her.

Sandy kissed Brad on his forehead.

"My Mom use to do that," stated Brad. "When I was a lot younger. When I got hurt playing." He leaned back to look at Sandy. "My Mom kissed me like that before I went off on my tour."

"I know, Brad," said Sandy.

"I know." nodded Brad. "You were there too." Tears were running down his cheeks. "I still can't believe they're gone." He then closed his eyes and buried his face at her shoulder.

Sandy held him tightly against her as he cried. She sighed heavily. "I have you, Brad. I have you." She took a deep breath and slowly let it out. "You're safe now."

Sandy lost track of the time as she held Brad. Remembering who he was and how much and why she loved him. How much she had feared for him. Memories quickly filled the time.

"Sandy."

"Yes, Brad."

"After I woke up in Germany. That first time." He paused. And for a few moments did not say anything.

Sandy said softly, "I'm here, Brad."

"In Germany, after you went home that first time. I ... I was afraid you would not want me any more. After seeing my injuries. Knowing what happened to me."

Sandy sat up and looked at him concerned. "Why, Brad?"

"You being so athletic and a champion tennis star. Being world famous." Brad sat up and looked at her. "You even have your picture on a cereal box. And I've seen your commercials. And you are one of the smartest, most wonderful people I know." Brad looked at her and sighed. "And you are so damn beautiful to boot." Brad looked away. "And there I was. And here I am. Just a badly wounded, used up – useless Jar Head that had ... ."

"Brad!" stated Sandy firmly, interrupting him. "First off, Marine! You are a Jar Head and you be damn proud of that! As proud as your Mom and your Dad were of you. As I am of you. And my parents too!" She touched his face. Her voice softer. "Second, you are not used up. And you are far from useless! And you seemed to have forgotten you earned the Bronze Star your second tour."

Brad slowly shook his head.

Sandy suddenly jabbed a finger towards the window. "You go tell that to the four Marines you saved last year. You tell them you're useless! You tell that to their families!" She began crying again. "You're not! And I am so very proud of you, Brad. As were your Mom and Dad."

Brad shook his head again.

"Look!!" Sandy pointed across the room at the pictures on the wall above the bookcase.

Brad looked. There was one of his grandfather in his greens on the left. Beside his grandfather's photo, in the middle, was one of his father in his Marine Dress uniform. Then next on the right there was his photo in his dress uniform wearing the Bronze Star. The fourth frame held the citation for the Bronze Star.

"Your father had those pictures," stated Sandy, again pointing at the photos, "on the wall over his desk. Right beside your grandfather's picture. And that one of himself. He was damn proud of you, Marine." Sandy sobbed as she added softly, "And don't you ever forget that."

She wiped at her eyes. "As for the rest. What you said about me." Sandy gave him a slight smile. "I might be able to give a mean return on the court." She sighed looking at him. "And the cameras do seem to like me. But my heart belongs to you, Brad. Not to the tennis court. Not to the fame. And certainly not to those sideline bums at the court like the media claims."

She took his hand. While with her other she touched his face. "I love you, Brad. No one else." She looked at him for a long moment. "And, Brad, not once have I been with another man. Not once! Only with you."

She smiled again. "And another thing, Brad," continued Sandy softly. "Every couple of weeks your parents had me over on Saturday for dinner. Your Mom taught me what you liked. And how to cook it. Then over dinner they started telling me about your family's history."

"Must have been boring?"

"No way," declared Sandy. "I loved it. I always loved history. You know that! But your parents brought it alive."

Brad smiled. "That they could do."

Sandy leaned against him. "Then sometimes they had me sleep over. I slept in your bed, Brad. Curled up with your pillows. Under your blankets. I wore your wrestling sweatshirt sometimes. I missed you so much. Sometimes I cried myself to sleep because I was so scared for you. I was so afraid that ... that I would never see you again. But I was also so very proud of you. For the man you are."

Brad leaned towards her and kissed Sandy. Then he wrapped his arms about her and just held her close to him.

"I remember one night," continued Sandy, "your Mom came in. She heard me crying. She sat on your bed with me. And held me, Brad. She told me that she had no worries about us as a couple. Or us getting married. She said she already thought of me as part of the family." She snickered. "Your Mom, also told me that I might have to push you some to marry me. That night she too kissed me on my forehead."

Brad smiled. "Sounds like Mom. Sandy, I knew you were all proud of me. But ... "

"Don't change the subject, Brad." Sandy looked at him, putting on a stern face. "You still have a duty to do, Marine."

"Other than loving you?"

"Yes!" stated Sandy. "Brad, you more than anyone knows what a returning Vet needs in the way of support. What their family needs. You understand what they are going through with their injuries. And if not injuries, the nightmare of combat. And what they will be facing later. Going out into public. Apply for work. Dating. Falling in love." Sandy paused. "And getting married."

Sandy again paused and touched his face. "I need you to help me make BRAVE be better. To do the right things. Not stumble about making mistakes. Or worse. Forgetting someone or something in the paper shuffle."

"You're really serious about this," said Brad.

"As serious as I am about spending the rest of my life with you," returned Sandy. "Married or not. There is no one else, Brad. Not for me. And there never will be."

Brad took a long moment to look into her eyes.

Sandy looked back at him and gave him a small smile.

Brad took a deep breath as he looked at Sandy. The deep worry he had held for so long was gone. "Okay."

"Okay?" questioned Sandy.

"Yeah!" he said more firmly. "Okay!"

"Now that's my Marine talking." She leaned close to kiss him. "Welcome home, Brad," whispered Sandy softly. "Welcome home."

Brad held her a little tighter.

"Then I might as well get changed into something more comfortable." Brad looked up at her. "I'll need help getting up. And changing." He grinned at her "Before you decide to toss me up on your shoulder and lug me down to a restaurant. Or some place else and ... have your way with me."

Sandy smiled at him and started to chuckle. "I just might do that."

"What?" asked Brad. "Lug me down to a restaurant?"

Sandy smiled. "Have my way with you, Marine," she said softly.


The End
Part 3


"Sandy And Brad – Ch-01"
"Home Comes The Warrior"
Part 4
"The Pain of War"


Sandy rose and stood before him. "How do you want to do this?"

Brad looked up at her. "Sandy, you might want to sit for this. And ... and I'll tell you what I remember. Let you know what you'll be facing. And ... what happened to me."

Sitting back down beside Brad, Sandy took his hand. "You don't need to do this now. We can do this when you're ready, Brad." She paused looking at him. "Besides, I visited you in Germany. And more than just a few times."

"Then all you saw of me was the casts and bandages."

"No, Brad," whispered Sandy. She began to cry again as she touched his face. "I could see your face. I could watch you breath." She pouted and lowered her hand to his chest. "And ... I could feel your heart beating." She wiped at her eyes. She smiled at him. "And after a while the nurses would let me give you a shave on the mornings I was there."

"Sandy," said Brad softly, looking up at her.

"I love you so much, Brad." Tears came to her eyes again. "I had to go to be with you. To see you."

"And I love you, Sandy."

"Brad," said Sandy softly, "I have been in love with you since our Freshmen Science Fair."

"I wish I ... I should have told you how I felt, Sandy. A lot sooner than I did."

"You didn't have to, Brad," said Sandy. "I knew." She pouted. "I knew for a long time."

Brad could only look into her eyes. "How?"

Sandy leaned closer and kissed Brad. Leaning back she smiled. "Because you were always there for me. Even when I acted like a brat and did something stupid. You were always there. You never once forgot my birthday."

"How could I forget?" stated Brad. "Two days before my Mom's."

"I know," stated Sandy. "You even stayed after school when I debated. You being there made me try to do my best." She chuckled. "I always studied extra. I wanted you to be proud of me."

"I always was, Sandy." Brad smiled shaking his head. "I spent hours with my Mom learning to dance. And watching my Mom and Dad dance in the kitchen. I wanted to be ready for the 'Fall Ball Dance.'"

Sandy laughed and hugged him. "You did that to impress me?"

"No!" declared Brad. "I did not want to be a fool. Stepping all over your toes. Or tripping over my own feet."

"You didn't," replied Sandy. "I had a wonderful time."

"I remember when I walked you to your door," stated Brad. "After wards."

"And your Mom driving me home," added Sandy.

Brad looked at Sandy and slowly smiled. "Then you gave my first kiss."

Sandy reached up with her right hand and touched his face. "I remember." She leaned close kissed him long and slow. Leaning back she asked, "What did your Mom say?"

"About what?"

"About us, Brad," snickered Sandy. "And our making out on my front porch."