Saved By My Mate

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I licked his hand again and snuggled my head against his wrist. My heart was breaking with every word. "The wilderness is better therapy for me than seeing some VA hack doctor. All he ever does is try more drugs. The drugs don't stop the nightmares, and I can't function in school when I am on them. This air, this scenery? It clears my head better than any drug." He scratched my ears and started to get up. "I have to return to the world, Raven, though I'd rather stay here with you. I hate being in classes, but I can't be a Ranger medic anymore. I need something I can make a living at, and disability isn't living for me." He looked down at me as he kicked the fire apart. "Time to break camp, Raven. You sit there and rest for a while. I got this."

Twenty minutes later, he had his backpack ready. He poured the rest of his canteen on the fire and made damn sure it was out.

I was whining at him the whole time. I didn't want him to leave, and I wasn't ready to walk out of here with him.

Fate had other plans for us, I guess. I heard a wolf howling in the distance. It was my father; he was looking for me. My brother howled next, but in a slightly different direction. It hurt like a bitch, but I howled in reply.

"Your friends, huh?" He walked over and gently stroked my neck. "That's good. I'll get out of the way. I'm glad I found you. You're a strange wolf, Raven, but I love you. Come and find me if you ever want to stop being a wild animal." He walked off and didn't look back, even as I whined and howled my grief. I panicked, realizing I didn't even know his name. I didn't know where he lived. I tried to get up and follow him, but the sharp pains in my chest stopped me. Soon he disappeared around the mountain, and I was all alone.

My family found me and carried me home to the Pack doctor. After surgery and a few weeks of rest, I was back to normal. Physically, I'd fully recovered, but I was far from well. My wolf pined for her mate, and I was going nuts, wondering where he was! His absence left a hole in my heart that I couldn't fill.

We didn't have many clues. My brother had tracked his scent to the trailhead where he'd parked his truck. After that, nothing.

My family fully supported my search for my mate. After all, he had saved my life and was my one chance at true happiness in this life. Family members ran the mountains every weekend until the heavy snow arrived, but we never caught his scent again. The longer it went on, the more distraught I became.

I started the fall semester a few weeks late due to my injuries. I asked to drop out and search for him full-time, but my parents insisted I stay with my class. Soon I was too busy with that for anything else. I could never forget him, though. He was my mate and my only chance at a moon-blessed life.

My room at home became the center of my detective work. I put every clue I could remember from his talks on my wall and hit the Internet for information. I knew he was a Ranger medic injured in an IED and suicide bomber attack in Afghanistan. In February, I struck paydirt in an old article from 2012 in the Denver Post.

"A terrorist attack on a Green Beret unit left nine soldiers dead and three injured in the mountains outside Kandahar. An Army spokesman said most of the soldiers lost were victims of an IED attack on their vehicle, soon followed by a suicide bomber attack. The Defense Department identified the soldiers killed in action as:

1LT Tom Coronado from Orlando, Florida

SFC Robert Prentice from Hannibal, Missouri

SSGT Don Frandel of Jacksonville, Florida

SSGT Juan Hernandez of San Antonio, Texas

SGT Ricardo Carduzzi of Frederick, Maryland

SGT Dave Kemp of Rochester, Minnesota

SGT Rufus Ray of Chicago, Illinois

SGT Hassan Mikbar of New York, New York

SGT Alberto Miller of Amarillo, Texas

Injured in the attack were SGT Marcus Mendez of Colorado Springs, Colorado, SSGT Charles Hicks of Los Alamos, New Mexico, and SGT Victor Hammond of Toledo, Ohio. The Air Force evacuated the injured soldiers to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany for treatment. All casualties were members of the Third Special Forces Group, headquartered in Fort Bragg, North Carolina."

There were no photos, but at least I had some names. I hit the jackpot on a search for Marcus Mendez. It was an article in Stars and Stripes.

"Green Beret Medic receives Bronze Star, Second Purple Heart in Ceremony

Sergeant Marcus Mendez received the awards in a ceremony while recovering from his injuries in Landstuhl, Germany. Brigadier General Matthew Moeller presented Sgt Mendez the award for conspicuous valor during a firefight in which he crawled to and tended a wounded soldier. Disregarding his safety and under constant enemy fire, Sgt Mendez removed the man from the battlefield and cared for him until a Medevac helicopter arrived. Sgt Mendez was injured during the engagement but refused treatment while caring for the severely injured soldier. General Moeller praised his honor and courage, stating that he was a credit to the Green Berets and the US Army. Sgt Mendez had previously received a Purple Heart for injuries sustained in that battle. His second Purple Heart was for Sgt Mendez's severe injuries in a recent suicide bomber attack. Sgt Mendez thanked those in attendance but said the real heroes in his unit never made it home. Sgt Mendez will be medically retired once recovered from his injuries."

Wow. My mate was a badass! A Green Beret, a fighter, AND a healer!

With a name and date, I thought I would find him quickly. That didn't happen. The trail went cold when he left the Army, almost like Marcus didn't want to be found. I couldn't find anything on him directly, so I went to Facebook and Green Beret chat boards. I even contacted the listed family members of those killed in his unit and asked if he had been in contact. Over MLK weekend, I drove to Colorado Springs but couldn't locate any family there.

I did everything I could think of to find him. Finally, I found information linking Marcus to a college in Pocatello, Idaho. That was just a few hours away! I couldn't find an address for him on the Internet, though. I packed my bags and threw them in the passenger seat of my old Ford Ranger and headed south.

I knew the school wouldn't release his address, so I pretended to be a prospective student interested in their nursing program. I told them I'd lost my manufacturing job after Christmas and wanted a change. Even though it was the middle of the semester, I requested and received a tour. The ladies at the admissions office even invited me to audit some of the classes to see what I thought. So with that, I started popping in on nursing classes. On the third one I hit the jackpot.

I had just taken a seat in the back when Marcus walked in. He looked damn good; he had shaved and gotten a haircut since I last saw him. Marcus ignored them while limping over to his seat. He checked me out on the way, and I could see he liked what he saw. He couldn't miss my look.

It was the same look I get when Dad sets a medium-rare steak in front of me. I wanted to taste him, smell him, and devour him.

I smiled and flipped my long black hair over my shoulder. Marcus met my smile briefly, then looked away and sat down. He didn't show any further interest, and I noticed few of the people in class interacted with him. It probably was a combination of his age and injuries that kept people from approaching him. He just took his notes and occasionally asked questions.

I couldn't concentrate on anything else during class. The professor may as well have been the Swedish chef from the Muppets; I understood nothing she said. I was busy watching my man, studying every line, every emotion, every move. I tried not to make it obvious, but he still caught me staring a few times. He might mistake me for a stalker, but I couldn't look away. Hell, I WAS a stalker.

When the class ended, I made my way over to him. "Hi, I'm Rachel. Can I buy you a cup of coffee? I'm sure I know you from somewhere, but I can't figure it out. Sorry I was staring."

He looked into my gray eyes. I saw the sadness in his eyes as he casually shut me down. "I'm sorry, Rachel, but I'm not ready to be anyone's friend. You should find someone capable of giving you the time and love you deserve. You're young and beautiful, so I'm sure that will be easy for you." With that, he turned and walked out.

I wasn't going to let him push me away.

I followed him from a distance as he went through the rest of his classes. My heart broke as I watched his lack of integration with the other students. Even among all these people, Marcus was alone. He ate lunch by himself in the corner of the cafeteria. Was he too old? Were his injuries putting them off, or was it his stellar personality? Whatever the reason, he sat with his nose in a book between classes. He spread bags and books over the table so no one would ask to sit there.

I watched with anger building in me at the looks he got from the younger students. The ones that just recoiled at his facial scars or his artificial leg weren't so bad. The ones that walked away while making fun of him? He didn't hear them, but with wolf hearing, I certainly could. It took every bit of self-control I possessed to stay seated. I wanted to chase them down and beat the living shit out of them.

The words he said to me on the mountain rang in my head. Marcus would never be at home here.

He was stuck on the outside, and he wasn't making any attempts to socialize. While he was in his last class, I found his beat-up truck in the handicapped spot. I moved my truck to a place where I could see him leave.

He was the last to leave the class, staying late to speak to his professor. I watched as he tossed his book bag in the seat and drove away, waiting a minute so I wouldn't follow too close. I followed him through the night as the rain began. He went outside city limits and turned down a back road.

He must have rented an apartment in this older house at the edge of a potato field. As I drove past, I watched him park next to a newer truck at the edge of the driveway.

I found a place to park a few blocks away near a treeline. I went into the thickest part of the trees after making sure no one was nearby, removing my clothes and folding them before placing them in a plastic bag I set on the pine needles. I shifted into my wolf and shook out my fur. I stalked closer, alert for movement. When I got close to the window, I heard voices.

"Marcus, I left some dinners for you in the freezer. I need you to eat better! I don't like how you're losing weight. You can't exist on microwave food and potato chips."

"I'm trying, Mary. I forget to eat sometimes when I'm studying for an exam."

I started to growl low in my chest. My man was in there with another woman, and my wolf saw red.

"I'll be back to check on you this weekend. You need to unpack and settle in, Marcus. This apartment looks like you're living out of a duffel bag."

"That's because I am. It's just another place, and I'll be moving along soon enough."

"Until when? When do you settle down and get back to normal, Marcus?"

There was silence for a few moments. "This IS my normal, Mary. I'm not the idealistic young man I was when I left for the Army. I'm damaged goods. I can't cope with people, I can't stop the nightmares, and nothing the VA can do helps me. Not the drugs, not the therapists, not the groups. I have demons, Mary. When they come out, I don't want anyone around me. I don't want to hurt anyone."

"When was the last time you had a good night's sleep, Marcus? You're like a zombie sometimes."

He laughed. "It's been months. The last time was at the end of the summer while I was hiking up north. The nightmares haven't gone away, Mary; they are getting worse. The only place I feel at home is in the mountains."

"Well, you can't live in some remote cabin like the Unabomber. Let me help you, Marcus! I love you, and I'll never turn my back on you." She pulled him into a hug. "I better get going."

I had moved to the front door by then, and my growling was getting louder. When the door opened up, it surprised both of us.

"AAAAGH! MARCUS! THERE'S A HUGE FUCKING WOLF ON YOUR PORCH!" Mary screamed and ran back into the house, running into his arms as he came out of the kitchen. I growled even louder as she touched MY man. I was standing in the open doorway, slowly advancing. He looked at me and smiled.

"It's all right, Sis, this wolf is my Raven. Raven, my sister, Mary." Sister? I stopped growling and sat down, my head to the side and tongue out as I took in this change in status. She wasn't a threat to take away my mate.

Marcus put her behind him and walked up to me. I wagged my tail and shivered with excitement as he came closer. I leaned my head against his leg while he scratched my ears. "Raven, what in the hell are you doing here?"

Mary was hiding around the corner in the kitchen, peeking out with a carving knife in her hand. She saw Marcus leaning down for a face lick. "You know that wild beast?"

"Yep. Raven is my friend. We met on a hiking trip last year. Smartest wolf I've ever seen and strangely friendly to me. Of course, I did save her life. When I stumbled across Raven, she'd been gored by a deer. I had to remove the antler embedded in her chest." He rubbed my chest, feeling the scar tissue where the wound had been. "She looks to be fully healed. Want to say hi?"

"Uh... no. I'll just be going. John is taking me to Salt Lake City tomorrow, and I need to get packed." She moved slowly past me, keeping Marcus between us. She kissed her brother on the cheek, then walked out the door. "Give me a call tomorrow. I need to know that dog didn't eat you."

"Wolf... she's all wolf. I'll be fine, though. It won't be our first night in bed together."

Mary shook her head as she walked to the car. "You're certifiable, Marcus, but I love you. Have a good week."

We watched her go, and then I looked up at him. "Come on, girl. It's late, and you are all wet. Let's get you dried off and ready for bed." I followed him to the small bedroom while he continued into the bathroom to get towels.

The whole time I focused on finding him, I never once figured out a good way to tell him who and what I was. How do you explain that you are a werewolf, much less that you followed him here because Luna had decreed him to be your mate?

Throwing caution to the wind, I quickly ripped off the bandaid.

He walked out of the bathroom, having stripped down to his boxers so his clothes wouldn't get wet. I reared up on my haunches and put my front paws on his shoulders. I looked in his one eye as he looked in mine. Then I closed my eyes and focused on the change.

The sound of bones cracking and realigning filled the room for a few seconds, and then my naked human form was in front of him, my hands behind his neck.

"What. The. Actual. Fuck." He stared at me, then looked down my body and back up to my face. He touched my face tentatively, not accepting that what he'd seen was real. I kissed his lips, pressing my naked body against his.

His body reacted to this faster than his mind did.

"I'm not trying to scare you, Marcus. I'm Rachel. I'm also Raven. I'm a werewolf." He stepped back from me, and I could sense his fear. "I'm not going to hurt you, Marcus. Far from it. I'm here to help you."

"Why?"

"Because I love you. I've loved you since the first time I saw you."

I watched as he walked over to the bed and sat on it, placing his head in his hands. "Please, don't say anything. You don't have to. Just let me be with you tonight."

It took a few minutes before he sat up and extended a hand to me. I sat down on the bed next to him. "I guess this explains a lot. You were too big and smart to be a real wolf."

"Oh, I'm real. I'm here. But we don't have to talk about this until tomorrow. Let's ignore the whole werewolf thing and get some sleep. You look exhausted."

"I stink, too. I need a shower." He stood up and walked over to the bathroom, closing the door on me as he went in. My wolf didn't appreciate having him out of our sight. I stood up and walked into the bathroom, surprising him as he stood naked with his back to me. I was already naked, and his backside was his best feature. He had just taken off his artificial leg and was about to hop into the shower, using the handrails installed in his bathroom. "I'm sorry you have to see me like this, Rachel. I'm sure I'm not what you expected."

"I'm not sorry, Marcus. I'm enjoying the view quite a bit." I walked past him, opening the shower curtain and stepping into the large clawfoot tub. "Grab my shoulder and get in here with me."

"You can take my weight?"

"You'll find werewolves are much stronger than humans. Don't underestimate my strength." Marcus put his arm on me while holding the bar in his left hand. He sat on the tub edge before swinging his legs inside. I helped him stand on his good leg.

I turned on the water while he was staring at me. My wolf loved our progress; we were naked in his den, and I could smell his arousal already. "Why don't I get you clean, and you can get my back?" I looked at his face and thought I could see embarrassment. He was waiting for something. "Marcus, what do you think I see when I look at you?"

He sighed. "I don't know. My sister and my friends from before? They see me as I used to be, and I can tell they see the loss. Strangers look at me, and sometimes I see their fear, others their pity." I used the portable shower wand to soak his head, then used his shampoo. "I haven't figured you out. Even as a wolf, there was something about you."

"Werewolves have dual natures, our civilized human half and our more primal wolf half. When we look at someone, we see different things than beauty or imperfection." I soaped a washcloth and started with his face. I didn't avoid his missing eye. Instead, I traced the scars as I cleaned him up. "When I look at you, I see many things my wolf and I admire."

I squeezed his bicep. I couldn't get my hand around half of it! "I see your strength." I moved to his chest, running the cloth and my fingers over the long scars. "I see your courage and toughness." As I got to his legs, I continued to soap him down, avoiding his private parts. I washed the end of his stump carefully as I knelt before him. "I see your willingness to sacrifice yourself. Your courage to put the needs of your country and your friends ahead of your survival."

I finished with his feet and then had him turn around. I continued cleaning his neck. My fingers and the washcloth worked past his strong shoulders and down his body. My hands tingled as I played with my mate's body, tracing his muscular back. When done, I reached around him, pressing until my firm breasts smashed against his back and my hips spooned into him. I reached around with the washcloth, cleaning his equipment. I gripped the girth of it, my wolf jumping in my head as she imagined what pleasure it would bring us. "And when I see this, I see our future. I see a strong mate, a loving father who will satisfy me like no other man." I turned him around and hugged his waist while looking into his eye. I wanted him to see in mine the truth of what I was saying. "I see the man I love. I see the man I want to share my life with."

His hands moved to my back, pulling me closer and pressing his erection into my stomach. Tingles exploded along my body as he leaned down and captured my lips with a kiss.

It wasn't just a kiss, though. It was a 'fireworks going off while the orchestra plays in the background and the credits roll' kind of kiss. Marcus moved his hands up to cup my face, all while his mouth took possession of mine. I pulled myself close, unable to tell where his body ended and mine began. It was amazing, epic, and the stuff of little werewolf girl dreams.