Shadows of Resentment: Dawn and Derrick

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Brian and Dawn dated for over a year until one day, Brian received a phone call. His parents were having serious health issues and needed him to come home so he had to leave. He begged Dawn to join him, and she seriously considered moving to be with him.

However, she recalled the years and struggles she went through to reach her goals. She thought about the sacrifice her brother made to help her secure her home. And finally, she loved her job and didn't want to give it up. As much as she cared for Brian, she did care for him. She wasn't ready to give up her independence for a man, so she chose to stay. Brian understood, even though it hurt, he was willing to give her what she needed.

The day Brian moved away was one of the hardest days of Dawn's life. Her brother Gunther, actually came back to be with her because he knew how much that young man meant to his sister.

They went to Brian's apartment, helped him packed and stood together as he drove away from them for the last time. Dawn stayed stoic until he left and everyone except Gunther had gone.

Then she broke down, mourning her first true love. Her big brother held her as she cried for a love that would never be. She missed Brian terribly, but understood he had to take care of his family.

A few months after Brian had moved, Dawn reported to work and was informed that she had a new patient. A young man who was hurt in an attack and paralyzed was her new patient. However, with rehabilitation and training, he could possibly regain mobility.

"Cameron Richardsstar basketball player, football star, above average student, eldest son with one younger sibling." Dawn read aloud as she gathered information on her newest client.

She read the rest of the report on Cameron. Dawn learned that he's suffered a spinal injury that would be corrected through surgery but would require extensive occupational and physical therapy to regain mobility.

Hummm, another jock. They think they are invincible and never want to listen. I wonder how difficult this guy is going to be?

Dawn learned that her newest patient had been at the facility for a couple of weeks and the director had just created his team. She had to meet in his office to meet her charge and discuss his care with the rest of the team.

Dawn arrived at the director's office fifteen minutes before the meeting. She saw a handsome young man with thick gorgeous auburn hair sitting in the lobby with an angry scowl on his face.

Before long Dr. Kerst approached and talked to him and an older gentleman helped wheeled him into the director's office where she soon followed.

The Director introduced Cameron to his care team. He simply looked at each person as they were introduced until his eyes landed on Dawn.

Dawn saw him visibly recoil, and even though she was used to it, it hurt. She knew she looked different, but his reaction reminded her of how many men saw her, except for Brian. Darn it, she missed him.

She decided to face his prejudice head on, walking over to him, she kneeled and said, "Stick with me, and we'll get you out of this chair."

She felt the tension leave his body as he visibly relaxed. Dawn stood back and let everyone else explain to Cameron what they would be doing. They answered the questions his father had as well. When everyone finished, Dawn explained the things she would work with him on.

Dawn had four patients that she worked with. These patients were assigned to her because they were considered the most difficult to work with. Cameron challenged her. She worked with him for a little over two months and he wasn't trying, just going through the motions.

She watched Cameron. The only time he was happy was when his family visited. One day, his father Nick wanted to chat with her about Cameron's progress. Dawn had just finished talking with his dad when his little sister, Rosa, rushed to her and hugged her,

"Thank you for helping my brother." Nine year old Rosa hugged her tightly and told her. " He promised me he'd walk again and said you were helping him." Rosa said.

Dawn smiled at the adorable little girl and said, "You're welcome, sweetie. I am happy to help your brother." returning her hug. "When you visit him, that helps him to work even harder. So we're both helping him, sweetie." Dawn explained.

Rosa beamed at her. The thought that she was helping her brother made her proud, she'd try to see him each week from now on.

One day, while helping Cameron work on his muscle development, he was being nonresponsive and lethargic. He seemed to be giving up. Dawn knew he was wrestling with some serious issues, but he still had to at least try.

When she asked him to push against pressure she was applying to his lower limbs, and he simply stared at her blankly, Dawn lashed out.

"What is wrong with you?" she yelled. "You have a family, friends, and people who care about you and you won't even try. That beautiful little girl that visits you every week worships you, yet you're spending all of your time moping and feeling sorry for yourself." Dawn continued. "Well, I'm through. If you don't want to get well, then I am not wasting my time anymore."

Dawn retrieved her duffle bag and started to leave. She wasn't really upset with Cameron, but she missed Brian, missed having someone simply love her. This guy had that in spades and didn't care.

"Dawn, wait, I'm sorry. It's just that so much shit has happened to me in the last few months, that sometimes it's hard, you know." Cameron took a deep breath.

"I hate the guy who did this to me. I hate his guts. I want to take him down and destroy him, but I can't do that without hurting other people. People I care about." he growled.

"Do you think I want to be this miserable and alone? I came here to get well and help my family and I need your help. Please don't leave, just tell me what you need me to do and I will gladly do it." Cameron pleaded quietly.

Cameron turned his chair towards her and waited for her to respond to his statement. Dawn looked at Cameron pensively as she took a deep breath.

Cameron's story made her angry. He didn't deserve to be here, to be hurt like this. But he couldn't give up. He had to fight through it.

Dawn said in a sympathetic tone, "I am not even going to try to imagine what you went through that night, what you go through every day. But there are people out there who love you, who care deeply for you, who would be heartbroken if you gave up. Your father, your sister and that girl who visits every week- they are all counting on you to get better again. Keep fighting for their sake."

"Listen to me, Cameron. I know what happened to you was not your fault. The guy that did this is off living his life somewhere else, and you've got to live yours. You are strong. You are capable of beating this and coming out on the other side of this. I want to help you do this, but you've got to want it for yourself.

You will walk again. You will be able to have your life back. I'm behind you one hundred percent. So are your family, friends, and everyone here at Parkview." Dawn concluded.

Cameron smiled and she saw the strength return to him. Dawn knew he would fight now and she'd stand with him as long as she needed to. He stiffened his resolved and was determined to fight even harder than before. "I'll fight and won't give up, as long as I know you believe in me I can do it. I will walk again and show everyone that I'm strong." He declared in a strong voice.

"Alright, let's do this then." Dawn declared dropping her bag back on floor as they returned to his workout regimen.

A friendship was born that day. Dawn kept her relationships with her patients as professional as possible, never delving into their private lives. However, Cameron was different. When his family came to visit, they were determined to speak with all of his caregivers.

She remembered the weekend his girlfriend visited, he smiled for days. She was happy for him, although she didn't get a chance to meet her, when he talked about her Dawn knew that she was very special.

Dawn was off the weekend of his birthday, but she noticed something different about him. His mood seemed darker.

While working out after the visit, she decided to see if she could help. "Cameron, you can talk to me you know. I'm here and I'll listen."

"It's nothing, Dawn. Can we just work out? I really don't want to talk." Cameron answered.

"OK, then let's stand on the bars." Dawn helped him balance and learn to make steps. At the end of the session he was exhausted. She helped him back to his room as she got her next patient.

After a few more sessions with Kerst, Cameron seemed to be back to his old spirit.

He would often sneak to the gym and try to work out on his own. So Dawn permitted him to work out a little, but he had to make sure someone knew he was in the gym so he could alert them if help was needed.

March of that year was when the mess hit the fan. Cameron had two visitors that he didn't want to see.

Cameron had just finished a session with Dawn when he was headed back to his room. When he approached the lobby he saw his visitors, one was the last person he wanted to see: Darius.

Fuming, Cameron turned and proceeded to exit the building. Dawn saw him and realizing he was upset, stopped him.

"Where are you going? Why are you upset?" Dawn demanded.

"He's here. Out of all the people, he has the nerves to come here. I don't want to deal..." Cameron closed his eyes as his body quaked.

Dawn could see he was straining to keep his body under control.

"Cameron, tell me about them." Dawn pleaded, "Please" She didn't like seeing him this upset.

Closing his eyes, Cameron recalled that night from over a year ago and relayed his tale.

"Darius Granger is the man that put me in this chair. He used to be my best friends when we were kids, but one day he decided that he hated me. We got into a fight and that night my Mom died.

I needed him, my friend, my brother, but he didn't even come to the funeral. Momma loved him and he didn't even pay her final respects. Derrick never attacked me but he went along with Darius everytime.

His sister went to the prom with a creep that tried to rape her. I stopped the guy and tried to get her somewhere where she could get help. He attacked me when I was trying to help Sierra. His attack caused me everything.

He didn't even get punished, not really. Just a light sentence and sent home. I got sentenced to this chair and he gets to walk free.

I hate him Dawn, because this isn't fair. Now he's here. What does he think will happen? I don't want to see him." Cameron concluded as tears cascaded down his cheeks.

At the end of his story, Dawn was furious. "Wait here. I'll take care of this." Then she stormed off to the lobby and walked directly towards the two men that were causing her friend's distress.

She was furious. How dare he treat a friend of his the way he treated Cameron. She was going to give this Darius Granger a piece of her mind.

"Which one of you is Darius?" Dawn asked as she approached the two men. Both men stood. One was dark skinned with dark eyes, a low-afro and a goatee.

The other was a milk chocolate colored God with dreamy chocolate brown eyes, a low haircut, and no facial hair. He was perfect, and for a moment Dawn was stunned.

Darius spoke, "I'm Darius Granger, and this is my brother, Derrick. We're here to see Cameron Richards. He's our friend."

"You stopped being his friend when he needed you the most. Then attacked him and put him in a chair. Really," Dawn stated as she looked at him as if he was scum stuck to her shoe. "If that's the way you treat your friends, I'd hate to be your enemy. There is no way in HELL, I will let you near him. Leave now and crawl back under the rock you came out from under you arrogant piece of shit." Dawn turned to walk away from them, but Derrick blocked her.

Her voice cracked, heart pounded, as he stood before her. Still she began to address the handsome man before her, "Derrick, I don't know you and I have nothing to say to you even though you have the audacity to stand here with him and try and defend ... It's unreal. If Cameron was really your friend, you would have done something to help him. But no, you just let your idiot brother abuse him. You can get the fuck out of my face." She began to push past him.

"Wait, Miss.? What was your name?" He looked at her identification as he grabbed her shoulder to stop her from leaving. Her skin tingled where he touched her and she felt heat pool at the apex of her thighs.

"Miss Marcolini, I assure you my brother regrets what he did. However, I will not stand here and let you attack him like this. We are here to see Cameron. Do you know where he is?" Derrick inquired in a tone with authority.

Dawn sucked in a deep breath. No one spoke to her that way. She was turned on and could not believe the way her body was reacting to this man. Dawn was six feet tall, and he towered over her by a good five inches. She actually had to look up to see his face, my goodness, he was so handsome. Her heart began to race, because of the way he affected her.

Derrick stared at her. He'd never seen a more beautiful woman. He could tell she was uncomfortable, so he let her go.

"Right here, it's alright Dawn, Thanks." Cameron told her as he wheeled over to join them.

"You don't have to talk to them, if you don't want too. I'll call security." She stated as she regained her equilibrium.

Cameron smiled. "No, it's alright. I know these guys and he's right we need to talk. Besides, don't you have patients waiting? I'll be fine. Call you later?"

"Are you sure Cameron?" Dawn queried as she kneeled before him to look in his eyes. "OK, I'll go but call me later." She took one more look at Derrick and went back to work.

Derrick was speechless as he watched her walk away. He knew then that he had to get to know this amazing creature. But first, he was here to talk with Cameron.

Derrick listened to his brother and his best friend talk. He recognized his own part in the events that occurred. Dawn had accused him of not doing enough and she was right.

He saw how protective she was of Cameron and briefly wondered, if there was something there. But that thought was dismissed as soon as Cameron admitted that he planned to marry Sierra.

Derrick wanted to ask about her, but knew he needed to wait.

Darius and Cameron argued and yelled at each other for hours. Finally, Cameron agreed to try and repair their friendship, as he looked at the pictures of his nieces.

Derrick decided to visit his friend more than he'd done so in the past. With each visit, he hoped to catch a glimpse of Miss Marcolini.

Cameron asked one day, "Derrick, what's going on with you? Why are you coming up here every week? You like Dawn don't you?"

"Naw, man" Derrick stammered, "I just like hanging with my friend. Now if Miss Marcolini comes around, I won't mind saying hello. Does she have a boyfriend?"

Cameron laughed. "I'm not touching that man. You have to ask her."

One day while he was in session with Dawn, Derrick drove up for a short visit.

Derrick missed hanging out with his friend and wanted to catch up. He also wanted to see Dawn Marcolini again. When he entered the residential hall, one of the nurses informed him that Cameron was in the gym working out and gave him directions to the gym.

Derrick stopped at the door when he made it to the gym to watch. Dawn was helping Cameron with some stretches, so Cameron was laid out with his right leg extended and Dawn was straddling him helping him stretch his muscle. Derrick did not like the position he saw his woman and best friend in.

My woman? Derrick thought. When did Dawn become my woman? He stopped himself from entering the gym until he heard Cameron moan, "Oh God Dawn, that feels so good."

"What the fuck is going on in here?" Derrick demanded storming into the gym.

Dawn turned to a furious Derrick, and for a moment she paused, but she quickly recovered. "Wait a minute, you can't come in here. This is a session with a patient." She looked around. "What are you doing in here?"

Derrick took a deep breath and really looked at Dawn. She was even more beautiful when she was sweaty. Her form fitting sports bra did little to hide her erect nipples that were peeking through the fabric. She had on a tight pair of workout pants that accentuated her slim waist, thick muscular thighs, and firm bottom.

Her upper torso was very well developed and he could tell she spent time lifting. Maybe that was something else they could do together. He realized that he wanted this woman and he didn't share. Cameron might need to get a new therapist.

Derrick smiled when he heard Dawn's sharp intake of breath. He knew she was just as affected by him as he was her. "Listen Dawn, I was out of line. Please let me apologize." he said calmly. "We need to talk. What time do you get off work? I'll be here for a while so, maybe we can go get something to eat together."

"Excuse me, Derrick. I don't date-" Dawn started to state.

"Good, I'm glad to hear that. I would hate for you to have to break some poor guy's heart when you tell him you're taken." He smiled again, "Right."

Dawn blushed. She realized that he knew how he affected her.

What is wrong with me? Dawn thought. How is he able to make me feel like this?

"Um, like I tried to explain earlier, I don't date-" Derrick cut her off again and finished her sentence.

"Anyone else but me right, Dawn." He then took her right hand brought it to his lips and kissed it.

Cameron quietly exited the gym to give the couple some privacy.

Coming out of his room, Cameron joined Derrick in the lobby.

"Man that was smooth." Cameron teased his friend. "I've never seen you pull a woman like that. Where the hell did that come from?"

Derrick blushed and explained. "Man, I don't know. There is something about that girl. Ever since I saw her the first time, I think about her."

Cameron nodded.

"Has she ever dated a brother?" Derrick asked.

"I don't know who she dates. She's very private. I just know she's been hurt, so be careful." Cameron replied.

Derrick nodded. "I hear you. I just want to get to know her." Derrick said. He was thinking I would never hurt her, because I'd rather die first than cause her an ounce of pain.

The two young men spent a few hours talking and catching up on old times. The guys talked the rest of the day until Dawn's shift ended.

It was at that moment Dawn walked into the room and asked him if he was ready to go.

Derrick and Dawn left the center and drove to a Woo Huang Chinese Restaurant in the city for dinner. Derrick, for the first time since arriving at the center, was nervous. He really liked Dawn and wanted to get to know her better.

Dawn, dressed in scrubs from work, felt guilty because she should have at least tried to look nice for him. He was stunningly handsome, even in jeans and a simple dress shirt, she could not take hers eyes off of him.

Derrick noticed her staring and he looked around blushing. The waiter came and took their orders. After he left, Derrick decided to break the ice.

"So, Dawn, what type of guy do you usually date?" Derrick asked curiously.

Dawn leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms. "Why did you ask me out?" she asked suspicious of his intention. "Guys like you don't date girls like, I mean girls who look like..."Dawn mumbled.

That last phrase peaked Derrick's interest. "What do you mean, Dawn? Girls that look like what?"

"Never mind," Dawn replied looking down. "Let's just enjoy dinner."

"Dawn, look at me." Derrick whispered softly. "You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. I really want to get to know you."