Stalking Amber Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bellie444
Bellie444
1,861 Followers

***************

"What's going on with you?" Heidi frowned, shifting a manilla file under her arm as she closed the office door behind her. Although abruptly professional, Heidi was great to work for. She was organised, highly intelligent, supportive, and best of all, possessed a keen sense of humour.

Fred's head shot up from his desk. "Nothing," he hastily replied, not meeting his supervisor's eyes. Fred was remarkably tall, not quite matching Brad's height, but close. His build was athletic, but his physique wasn't as intimidating as it might have been, because he never took himself too seriously. Popular with everyone, his easy-going vibe rubbed off on others.

"You've postponed a string of appointments, and now you're applying for leave. What is it, cancer? Death in the family?"

Fred shook his head. "I have things to take care of," he muttered.

"What happened?" Heidi persisted, taking a seat in the prim, leather chair in front of him.

Fred's face tightened angrily and he stared blankly at his desk, numerous sheets of paper scattered across its normally tidy surface. He couldn't remember the last time he'd felt so emotional. Heidi, noticing his flustered expression, discreetly inspected her manicure.

"Here's the thing," she told him quietly. "You can't expect to wind things up over two days and take off. It's just not done." She moved her gaze to peer interestedly out the window as Fred rested his face in his hands. "I can pull strings and fix things. But I need to know what's so damned important. I know I'm your boss, but I'm also your friend. So, talk to me."

"Amber left me."

"Huh," Heidi quickly looked at him, genuinely surprised. True, Amber was a total goddess, a serious head-turner. But Fred was cute in his 'boy-next-door' way, and blessed with an amazing personality. It was impossible not to like him, and he was funny enough to make a statue crack up. Besides, Heidi had seen the two of them together, noted the adoration in Amber's striking eyes when she watched Fred through her lashes. Heidi assumed that despite her incredible looks, Amber enjoyed Fred's down-to-Earth normality, but perhaps she was mistaken in her judgement. As far as Heidi was concerned, it was Amber's loss. Heidi personally knew several girls who had secret crushes on Fred.

"Look," she said pragmatically, clasping her hands together and resting them on the desk as she leaned forward. "I don't really respect 'lovesick' as a valid excuse to cut out on work. But you've always pulled more than your fair share around here, and I've never known you to be anything other than a responsible guy. That aside, you and I have always been friends. So, I'll sort out the details." As she stood she reached out a hand and affectionally patted Fred's arm. "I'm really sorry about Amber," she murmured sincerely, and walked to the door. Pausing as her hand fixed around the knob, she turned back. "Oh, crap. I forgot," she added, brow furrowed, "there's one account you can't leave hanging."

"I've delegated my tasks amongst the team," Fred said, confused. He worked closely with four others, and they always had each other's backs. It was actually the first time Fred needed support, he was usually the one helping out others.

But right now, Fred had to find Amber. He was hurting because he missed her, but more importantly, he needed answers. If Amber didn't want to be with him, fine, but he couldn't accept that she would just leave without explanation. With her temperament, Fred would have known something was wrong, aside from the fact he couldn't remember the last time she was seriously mad at him.

Only a week ago she confessed she was crazy about him, that he was the best thing that'd happened to her. Amber wasn't normally communicative with her feelings, and Fred thought his heart might explode from the elation he felt. Always believing it was only a matter of time before she left him for a more glamorous 'Hollywood' type, her admission gave him he courage he needed to go ring shopping. Now, she was gone.

"Well," Heidi shrugged, "you can't delegate this one. It's a biggie. The account was renewed yesterday. And they asked for you specifically. You got the moves, kid."

"Who?" Fred crinkled his brow, unable to drive Amber's smiling face from his mind.

Heidi fanned herself with the folder and a wistful look softened her face. "That hottie, whatshisname. Tall hunk, blue eyes. You know, walks into a room and all you hear is the sound of panties dropping."

"Brad Dawson?" Fred exclaimed incredulously, his jaw dropping. "Brad Dawson? Brad-? The guy hates me!"

"Evidently not," Heidi raised her eyebrows. "He was very particular about working with you, and no one else. I didn't talk to him directly, but I hear he was adamant. As in, it was you, or no one. Maybe he's one of those repressed homosexuals. You know, fancies men like crazy, but hates the fact.

"Whatever it is, humour him. You shouldn't have to meet more than twice a week. It's the best I can do, and it's not a bad deal for you, considering you want time off on last-minute notice. Have fun with it, take him fine-dining. He's a client we don't want to lose again."

"Brad Dawson." Fred shook his head in amazement. "Last time we met, he gave me scathing feedback about my people-skills. He practically criticised the way I take in oxygen!" He angrily raked a hand through his jet-black hair, setting it on end. "That's all I need right now," he said grimly. "To sit opposite that guy's glaring contempt. The one guy who won't laugh at my jokes, not even to be polite."

"Well, there had to be something wrong with him," Heidi replied kindly.

"There's definitely something wrong with that guy," Fred clarified, looking at her seriously. "He's nuts. Our first meet-ups were perfectly friendly, and then one day, bam, it's like he wants to punch my face in."

"Maybe you offended him?" Heidi frowned. "I can't imagine how."

Fred threw up his arms in defeat. "Maybe I can ask him while he death stares me. The way I feel, I might be the one to punch him in the face." He looked at Heidi. "I'm a mess. Can't you push him onto someone else?"

"If you repeat that outside this room, you'll start a riot with the girls," Heidi chuckled. "Sorry, kid," she added with genuine sympathy, "it's gotta be you. Try not to beat him up." Tilting her head at him, she considered his physique. "You know, I think if it came to a rumble you'd be even-matched. Not that I'd encourage anything of the sort," she added hastily, quickly opening the door and leaving.

"But that's one fight I'd buy a ticket to see," she said to herself, as the door clicked shut behind her.

Bellie444
Bellie444
1,861 Followers