Starlight Gleaming Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I see you now." The security officer tapped away. "Sending you the list, Lieutenant."

"My Second and I will be reviewing records around the corner for the Senior NCO. Before I go, I need the status of one other enlisted. Status on Corporal Sowitwee?" Right after the file transferred, I saw incoming two email notices, one from Capisco Travel Guides, and one from Tikun Travel.

He scrolled on the tablet, then read a moment. "Corporal Sowitwee, no House surname, serial 1D320-19-21-TA109. Rank confirmed, listed as your Aide, Lieutenant. Do you wish to make a change at this time?"

The security sergeant with his bag of officer grades, handed me a pair of single pips for Doyya. I dropped them into my breast pocket.

"I'll keep him as is for the moment, thank you. Doyya and Sowitwee, with me."

Carrying my laptop, they followed me around the corner, and back to Janetta's HueCac. I looked at Doyya and grinned. "You look like shit, Lieutenant."

She looked at me for half a second, then dropped to her knees, and beginning an oath of fealty.

"Stop that, right now. Get up, Doyya. You are now an officer in the Empire. Your loyalty first is to the Emperor and then to the Air Service. I take third place, got it?"

"Yes, sir. Gods above and below, I knew you were going to be important to me. I just had no idea! When you called my name, I thought I was going to be your Senior NCO, like that Lieutenant did. And I would have been grateful for that measure of trust. But as your Second? Why?"

"I'll be honest, Doyya. I'm going by gut instinct here. Even if there wasn't a shortage of officers, I don't know any of them well enough to take them on. You, however, stayed to help me out, even after you knew that your own problem was taken care of. I know you did it to show your gratitude. I want that type of person as my Second Officer. I think you are someone willing to see that the job is done and done right. The promotion to Second Sergeant is permanent. Whether you keep the officer rank is up to you. You have a year to prove yourself, and not just to me."

Doyya would have to undergo examination by an Officer Review Board to keep her promotion. I could advocate for her, but I couldn't be on the board itself.

I dug the single pips out of my shirt pocket and pinned them on her shoulders. "Nice. Looks good on you. You got cash on you, Doyya? Because I have some messages I need to take in private. Before I pick the Senior NCO -- and I will depend on your help -- you need to go to the Commissary and buy brevet sleeves for your officer pips and your second sergeant patches. Sowitwee? Go with her." Reaching into my wallet, I dug out my last credit note. A twenty. I handed it to him. "Get all three of us a cup of cahault and some bottled waters while you're there."

"Yes, sir," they echoed, and headed off down the street.

Setting the laptop on the hood of the vehicle, I entered the password and reviewed the message from Tikun Travel first. Itznacoco congratulated me on the promotion, and officially notified me that I had ten days to get my house in order before my ten weeks of training.

I re-read that line. Ten weeks away from Janetta, not six?

Seven hells, I thought. All three hot, all three cold, and the one in between.

My new command was going to be barely together before Doyya was going to have everything dumped into her lap. I hoped I had chosen well, and that she didn't end up hating me for it.

When you are in the military, they own you.

The next message, from Capisco Travel Guides, outlined the duties of my new unit, with a suggested outline of the unit's command structure. Aside from my Second and Senior NCO, there were to be three other sergeants and eight lower enlisted in support roles. Additionally, there were to be six Air Security assigned to the unit. One was to be a sergeant, with a maximum grade of second sergeant, with the remaining of lower rank. Nineteen, plus me. Besides the auditing of reports and requests, we were also to do random inspections of the supply warehouses. Then she ended it with a personal note. "Congratulations, and don't worry, your pilot still outranks you. She deserves more, but this was the best I could leverage for you both. - O"

Janetta was being promoted to captain? I smiled with pride. She would no doubt enjoy very much the fact that she still outranked me.

I didn't know what had prompted her promotion to lieutenant after her arrival at High Guard. I hadn't gotten around to asking. The attack by the draconian had been a surprise, as had the attacks on Ixma and Cholan. Janetta had not only survived her rape and attempted murder, she killed her assailant and somehow managed to secure his alien technology in the process. Janetta worked hard for every advance in her career. At twenty-two, she would be very young for a captain, but she deserved it, and she deserved a medal, a gold or silver Shield of Valor, or at least a Star-Cluster of Merit.

As for my own promotion? Some of it was no doubt due to all the sudden vacancies rather than my own worthiness. Nonetheless, I intended to do my best. And, I had an idea percolating on how to start things off right.

I closed the messages and pulled up Sowitwee's personnel file. After reading through it, I read the one on his wife as well. Indentured class. His master signed off on the enlistment, citing the lifelong service of Sowitwee's father. Sowitwee was paying off the Indenture on Nariya, buying her contract. At the interest rate and principal, he would be paying for another five or six years. Probably longer. I hardly knew him yet, but it seemed that he had already overcome a lot of adversity. Hmm. Nariya had been an entertainer, trained to recite poetry and to sing. Injured at fourteen, tongue removed by her assailant. A senseless and cruel act. I loved to read. If I was poor and someone had blinded me, I don't know how I would cope with the loss of sight, much less no longer being able to read. I sighed.

Moving on, I pulled up Doyya's file. Her test scores weren't exceptional, but they were decent. She had passed her Third Sergeant's exam, but the slots were full, so she had been passed over for promotion. Seventh child of a middle-income merchant family, she was regularly sending home a hundred credits each month.

I heard someone walking toward me so I glanced up. Zinja, Ixma, and their guard approached. On foot. I closed the files and powered down the laptop.

Ixma waved, then hurried forward. "Lieutenant!" Throwing her arms around me, her blue eyes sparkling, she leaned up for a kiss. I obliged her. Ixma sighed, snuggling into me. Then she suddenly exploded, bouncing up and down excitedly, touching the lapels. "Senior Lieutenant? You got promoted! Whee-haw!"

Zinja raised her eyebrows. "Truly, sir?"

"I just found out, but yes, it's true." I reached for the bag beside the laptop. I pulled out two triple pips. Seeing them in my hand, Ixma immediately calmed down. I removed the single pips of a sublieutenant from her bandana, and replaced them with the three pips of a senior lieutenant. She stroked each one, grinning excitedly. When I was done, she threw her arms around me, kissing me soundly.

"Thank you, Corporal Ixma. We'll talk more later."

Seeing the stern look on her mother's face, Ixma composed herself.

Drawing out two more, I replaced the pips on the neckerchief tying off Zinja's braid.

"Thank you, Lieutenant," she quietly said.

I gave her a light kiss on the lips. She was surprised, but then she smiled.

"What are your plans for today, Second Sergeant?"

Zinja briefly watched Ixma caressing the new pips on her bandana before answering. "I thought we'd get some decent food. Navy hospital food is better than Air Service hospital food, but it's still slop, sir. Then, we'll go to the hangar and make sure it's cleaned up and ready for business. I'm told Imperial Security managed to blow up the old diagnostic computer. I need to make sure they cleaned the place up, and that they didn't empty the fridge or take it with them."

To his credit, the guard kept a straight face.

She continued. "Then, we need to get a new diagnostic computer and get it set up for Cholan. I also need to see if they will let me take custody of the new Lightning and put it into our hangar. I'd really like to begin a thorough systems check on it before the Lieutenant gets out of the hospital. The paperwork is done, but without an officer present, they might not let me have it. I'll give you a call when we're nearly done, sir. We'd like to head over to the hospital and visit our wounded eagles after dinner."

"That sounds like a full day. Call me when you are ready." I put the plastic bag of single pips into my pocket and put the laptop into my satchel, clearing off the hood of the vehicle.

Zinja got into the driver's seat of Janetta's HueCac, and the guard settled into the passenger side. Ixma climbed into the back, mouthing the words, 'I love you' when she thought no one else was looking. Zinja gave me a salute, which I returned, before backing up. The electric vehicle quietly zipped off down the road.

When Doyya and Sowitwee returned, I asked Doyya her opinion about Corporal Yalcamara from Air Security. "How did she strike you? Is she someone you could work with?"

"Thinking of another promotion, sir?" Doyya asked.

"I need a sergeant in charge of the Air Security team. If she's passed Imperial Security's recent look, I'd like to tempt her to join us with a promotion to sergeant and some responsibility."

"Can you bring up her personnel file on your laptop, sir?"

We sat down, leaning against the wall. After the laptop powered up, I searched for the corporal, and surprisingly, I quickly found her. Doyya and I reviewed her record. Academically, nothing exceptional, but she had good ratings in hand-to-hand combat, and she was proficient with several weapons. I put in a request for her transfer, with a promotion to third sergeant if she accepted.

I also noticed that my laptop had enabled access for other divisions. If Doyya noticed it, she made no comment.

"Okay, Doyya. You've been here for years. You know a lot of the people in Supply and Logistics. Who do you recommend for the Senior NCO slot?"

"I'd actually recommend Third Sergeant Chita. I just met her, but she has experience with how things are run at Command and Control. And she was pretty shaken by the deaths of those two JAG officers. She may be ready to transfer out. She probably doesn't know a lot about how things have worked in Logistics and Supply, but that might actually be a good thing. An outside perspective might be useful. At the least, she'd have a good background in War Ministry regulations."

I was pleased by her reasons. After I pulled up the personnel record for Third Sergeant Chita Wanwari, we reviewed her record together. Satisfied, I agreed to make her an offer of second sergeant and becoming our unit's Senior NCO.

Around the corner, Imperial Security were progressing quickly through the names. Shutting down the laptop again, we got up and rejoined the main group.

Once he spotted me, the senior lieutenant paused to inquire about my selections. I let him know my two current choices. For the remaining eleven office slots, there were several volunteers. I picked one sergeant. Doyya, with my deference, quickly picked the remaining sergeant as well as the enlisted. The senior lieutenant made note of the transfers on his tablet. Yalcamara's duty, if she joined us, would be to select the Air Security team. I then requested a chance to speak.

He shrugged. "As you wish, Lieutenant Kandikan."

Clearing my throat as I climbed the steps, I turned and faced the officers and enlisted members of Logistics and Supply.

"Some of you didn't know me until yesterday, when you asked me to Intercede for you. My job will be monitoring what happens within our Division. We must work together, ensuring that supplies go where they are needed, and arrive when they are needed. Working together requires trust. Captain Pentil Tanosca, commander of the 233rd Interceptor Group, has instituted a rule that no one may order another person to have sex against their will, on threat to his personal honor. I hereby institute this same rule within our Division, and I will enforce it. I hereby also instruct my Unit to enforce it as well. To this order, I also include civilian family partners, both for officers and for enlisted. Anyone violating this rule will face my wrath. Each instance will be evaluated individually. Punishment may include the lash, stockade time, reduction in rank, or even a personal challenge to the death.

"I have no authority with higher ranked officers who choose to hurt you. If you are bothered by someone outside our Division, come to me. I can't promise any action, but I, and my unit, will do what we can to help keep each of you safe."

I scanned the crowd. The women were stunned. Some of the men looked surprised or happy. Only a few openly frowned. I pressed on.

"No matter our jobs within the Air Service, we are all Warriors. We have all given our vow to serve the Emperor and the Empire, to commit our lives in defense of our people and our way of life. A good officer protects his people, keeps them safe from unnecessary hurt or danger. A good warrior protects his or her fellow warriors. I swear to stand for you. I need your help to make this happen. I need you to work with me."

Doyya raised her fist into the air. "You are my officer. Llam nuqan! We work together!"

Private Sosha raised her fist. "You Interceded for me and asked for nothing in return. Llam nuqan!"

One by one, other arms raised, their voices speaking out. Some were no doubt caught up in the moment, but more joined in.

"Llam nuqan! We work together!"

Captain Xotochan, the new commander of the 917th Logistics and Supply Division, held up his hands as he measured me with his gaze. "I have yet to pick my executive officer, but I think I could do far worse than make you my Divisional Second, Senior Lieutenant Kandikan. I hereby underwrite your orders with my own support." He raised his fist. "Llam nuqan!"

With the endorsement of the new commanding officer, the entire Division raised their fists, shouting, "Llam nuqan! We work together!"

I let it go for a bit, letting them shout out their unity, feeling a bit heady with their open support. I raised both my hands and they quieted down. "Thank you. Imperial Security, I think, has more yet to do. We should let them get on with it."

The security lieutenant actually laughed. "Lieutenant Kandikan, continuing on with the remaining personnel would be anti-climactic at this point. You have our list. You finish the notifications. We will retire and let you and Captain Xotochan get started on putting your Division back into order."

He put away his tablet computer, and signaled the rest to collect their gear. "Commander Orchid warned me to never stand in front of you. I now see what she meant. An instructive experience and, I think, a privilege." He held out his hand to me. More quietly, he added, "I hope your new rule spreads."

I shook his hand and took note of his name. Senior Lieutenant Hayantotichti.

After Imperial Security departed, I pulled out my laptop. The Captain and I continued doing roll call for names and confirming status, or announcing changes in grade as necessary.

That took us to lunch time. Captain Xotochan spoke quietly to me. "We are short by twenty-three percent of our allotted staff, and we are down to one third the number of required officers. What do you suggest as a next step?"

"Brainstorm, sir," I told him. "We have an opportunity to poll the people who do the work. Today, we collect suggestions on changes that would improve work flow, speed processing of requests, complete reports for the Air Service Ministry, and consider whether a re-organization of the division's hierarchy is in order. Some may want to shuffle jobs, but I will defer to you on any requests, and suggest that it happen after we settle on a final structure."

Nodding slowly, he replied, "That's a solid response, Kandikan. I'll announce just that in a moment. We'll let staff break for lunch, and on their return, they can find areas inside to meet and write down suggestions. Except for your Air Security team, you appear to have your unit pretty much complete. What do you intend to do this afternoon?"

"My unit will be trained to supplement Security. We will do random checks of what's on the books and actually inspect the physical inventory. Additionally, in times of emergency, we will support Air Security to help defend the base. Everyone in my unit will be issued, and trained in how to properly use a stunner, so we'll be at Air Security's main armory for a while. I also intend to get four vehicles from the Supply depot. A replacement for me, one for my Second, and two vehicles for the security team. We should be back later this afternoon. If you are agreeable, we can start meeting with the heads of the different sections to begin evaluating their suggestions."

"You think you can get a vehicle assigned to me?" Xotochan looked hopeful.

"Yes, sir. You'll have to sign for it, but I'll bring you the paperwork. Married or single?"

"Married."

"I'll see if I can get you a ChoCac, Captain."

Pleased, he nodded at the developments. "Very good. After lunch, I'm going to scope out where my office is going to be, and be advised, yours will be close to mine."

"Don't get too involved in moving everything yet, sir. As part of my first audit, I intend to have our building inspected, to make sure it meets War Ministry regulations."

Xotochan looked at me.

"There are only four solar arrays on the roof," I explained. "We have room for two dozen. High Guard War base should be selling excess electricity to the Seven Nations, not buying it from them. A lot of construction on this base is substandard. It wouldn't do to have it fall down around us. We need water, sewer, power, communications, structural integrity, and backup power systems all checked to make sure they are up to Imperial Engineering specifications, sir. I'd also like the various Emergency Shelters checked out. At this point, we can't assume anything is actually there and up to specs until we do a visual inspection. This is a new start and I'd like to see us do it right."

He blinked, then looked at me thoughtfully. "I'll make the calls about getting our building inspected. Maybe we can see about making that inspection of the Shelters a part of your duty with the other Divisions. That is, if Imperial Security will let us. We'll talk more when you get back this afternoon."

Xotochan made the announcements about the brainstorming for improved work flow, which intrigued some of the enlisted. With instructions to eat lunch and return in one hour, he cut everyone loose. Nearly everyone headed down the street to the Cafeteria.

I gathered my team together by the side of the building, around by the parking lot.

After introductions, I told them our unit was going to take the security portion as seriously as the auditing duties. Everyone in the unit would need to become proficient in marksmanship and weapon safety. Those assigned to security functions would be armed with projectile weapons, but everyone would be assigned and responsible for a stunner, and trained in its use. The office staff would get a Beltan 110 stunner, a light weapon capable of four, close-range shots. The Air Security team would get a Beltan 570, a heavier model with twelve charges, capable of wide area, or single targets at a further range. If anyone thought they weren't up to the duties, they needed to let Doyya, or myself, know after the meal break. Then I dismissed them for lunch.

The core of the plan was to create sub-units to supplement Air Security and the Ground Force units already on site. If Atlantis tried a raid on High Guard War base, it was hoped, and part of the proposal, that Atlantis found the base a much tougher opponent than they were expecting.