Still You Want Me Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I raise my hands in surrender and laugh.

"Whatever makes you happy, man."

We ride the elevator up with a mass of other employees, we say goodbye, and I walk toward my desk.

The morning flow is smooth because my team is awesome and we all work great together. I especially like working with Bethany, which is good because we're currently on the same project. She's incredibly smart and fun to be around.

Before I know it, we're off for lunch. Bethany has a lunch date already so I go with Jonathan and Daniel, who are also in Marketing. They're both a few years older than I and fun to be around. It's obvious they're friends outside of work, also, and have been for a while, because they're always referencing things no one else understands. We walk a few blocks to a nice-looking, high-end burger restaurant that smells delicious!

We left work later than usual so the restaurant has already filled up, considerably. Jonathan spots Charles at a table with Sharon and Derek, both of which are project managers. Daniel leans toward us and says.

"Dudes! Let's try to sit with Charles."

He looks at me.

"He'll totally pay for lunch!"

I'm not comfortable doing that so I downplay it and say.

"I don't know. They're already doing their thing. I'm fine waiting a few minutes for our own table."

It's not that I don't want to sit with Charles. Instead, I have no interest in sitting with him because he'll pay for my meal. Jonathan's not worried and says.

"No, it's all good. It's his thing and he loves it."

He walks over to their table and asks if there's room to join. Charles looks at him, then glances at me, and smiles.

"Absolutely! Grab the extra chairs from over there and join us."

He's obviously happy to have the extra company. I think he loves being the hostess with the mostest.

Burgers and drinks are ordered for everyone at the table. Charles tells the waitress.

"Go ahead and put all of this on one check. Thanks!"

Charles is in his element when he feels confident, wanted, and in charge.

Jonathan and Daniel are as happy as clams to know their meal ticket is going to be paid for by Charles. I don't think they're intentionally being rude, but Charles has definitely invited, and nurtured, this type of behavior. Regardless, I find this behavior by a group of adults (to be considered okay!) as very annoying!

Charles is looking at me. I don't know how to describe it other than...he's won something? Maybe he's proud of the fact the people at this table are taking advantage of him? I have no idea.

After the drinks arrive, I immediately grab my soda and walk to the counter. I need to do something about this situation.

"Hey, I think this is diet and I ordered regular."

I hand her my soda and give her an apologetic smile. I am sorry because the soda isn't wrong. I only needed an excuse to talk to her.

"Oh, gosh! I'm so sorry! I didn't realize I poured a diet!"

She looks genuinely embarrassed. Ugh, I'm a terrible person. I'll tip extra! The tag on her shirt indicates her name is Beth.

"No worries. It happens. Seriously, Beth, it's not important."

I try to comfort her with a smile, which she returns tenfold.

"Hey. Um, there's something else I wanted to, um, ask you about."

I don't know why I feel so hesitant to ask because it's not that serious.

Her head quickly jerks up and she looks very surprised as a small, shy grin spreads across her face. She's pretty cute...for a girl. She's in her early twenties and has short, auburn hair in a stylish, but messy, bun. She eagerly nods for me to continue with my question.

"Um, I know that guy said to put everyone on one check, but do you think you could put my order on a separate check? I want to pay for my own lunch."

Her smile immediately drops and the expression on her face becomes blank. Uh, was that a complicated request? I feel the need to explain myself so I lean closer because I don't want Charles to hear me.

"I mean, I don't like feeling as if I owe people and he already bought me lunch, yesterday. You know? I hope it's not a big deal. I'll even tip extra so it'll be worth your while."

I give her my best pleading and begging eyes and pouty lips. She smiles and rolls her eyes.

"Ok. Yeah, no problem!"

She continues to smile and her brown eyes lock with mine as she hands me my soda and I take a drink.

"Perfect! Thank you so much for the soda...and for the favor."

I wink and walk back to the table and Charles appears to be suspicious, to say the least!

"What was that all about?"

Returning my focus to the rest of the group, I nonchalantly say.

"I was served diet instead of regular so she kindly replaced my drink."

Lunch is great and everyone's having a good time as we take turns sharing stories and laughing. Jonathan is taking baby bites of his burger so, in an attempt to hurry things along, Daniel starts pressuring him to eat faster. Jonathan jokingly fires back.

"Fine! I'll just shove it all in!"

Simultaneously, Charles and I yell.

"That's what she said!"

We can't hold back our laughter and we proceed to spend the next ten minutes quoting, and doing impressions from The Office. Then another ten minutes sharing our favorite Office meme's, which always leaves me crying.

It's nice to have a friend who shares a passion for The Office.

* * CHARLES * *

Colin shows up with a couple of other guys from the office and they end up sitting with us. We spend the whole lunch talking and laughing. I'm able to, inconspicuously, flirt with him while we hysterically joke over a shared love of Michael Scott. This is the best lunch ever!

The waitress hands me the check and then beelines to Colin, which I'm not excited about. He'd flirted with her at the beginning of lunch. He said he got the wrong drink, but he didn't take a sip before he returned it to the counter. His intentions were obvious and I have the answer to my question...he's, obviously, straight.

The waitress puts her hand on his shoulder and whispers into his ear. She smiles when Colin laughs and pats her hand that's still on his shoulder. Get off, bitch! Then she hands him a check.

Since I'm generously picking up everyone's tab, I'm confused as to why he has a separate bill so I ask.

"What's that?"

He smiles.

"It's my bill. I don't expect you to pay for my lunches."

Da the fuck you will!

"It's not a big deal. I'm already paying for everyone else."

I wave my hand summoning the bill.

"Come on, hand it to me and I'll simply add it to mine."

I don't want him to pay. I want to take care of him.

"No way, Charles. I've got it. Thanks, though, I do appreciate the offer."

He slides cash into the binder and allows Beth to snatch it with her evil little fingers.

Freaking A!

Why do I feel as though he's personally rejecting me? I leave lunch feeling the same as yesterday...crappy!

I don't know if Colin senses my mood change or not, but he hangs back as we leave the restaurant, then walks shoulder to shoulder with me down the street and he has his hands in his pockets, again. His mannerisms and body language are never threatening or dominating. Yet, I feel intimidated by him for some reason. He breaks the silence.

"Hey?"

He forces me to look at him by giving me a gentle shoulder bump. Since when does something as simple as a shoulder bump cause such a strong reaction from my body? And why do I feel as though he's constantly trying to touch me? My mind is grasping at straws as I answer him.

"Hey."

I smile back. I'm happy he's next to me, but I'm still struggling to hide my disappointment about lunch. I know he's straight, yet, I'm frustrated because I can't get his attention.

"Just so you know, I meant no disrespect by paying for my own lunch. Honestly, it's strange that I'm feeling I have to justify it...I'm a grown ass man!"

His lip curls and he shakes his head in disbelief.

"I know you can afford to buy everyone's food and I know you enjoy doing it. Obviously, everyone else is okay with that arrangement, too, but I'm not. Charlie, you can't buy my friendship. If we're going to be friends, it'll be because you can put up with my ugly face every day and I find your dull personality charming."

He's trying not to laugh, but it's leaving his face with a cute, lopsided smile. I can't help laughing.

Yeah, you're so ugly! How will I ever manage having to look at you every day?

"If you want to have lunch, that's great, but we go Dutch or we trade paying...you buy, I buy. Anything less than equal isn't a friendship that I'll be a part of."

He's serious. He doesn't want to be friends because of my money? This is something new!

"You're serious."

It's not a question.

"Yeah. Are we good?"

We stare at each other for a minute. Looking into his eyes is so overwhelming, I finally have to look away.

I nod and accept his terms. I can't help smiling because I feel good. He makes me feel good. I look at the small grin on his face for a moment and wonder what he's thinking about. I can't help hoping it's me.

God, he looks so good! That small smirk on his face, his perfectly parted and styled dark hair, and those big eyes are nothing compared to his body. He's wearing Khaki slacks with a grey sweater. It's so simple, but it does so much for him.

This man wants to be my friend? No strings attached? Yeah, I guess that's cool. I mean, I'd like a couple of strings, but this is okay, too.

As we cross the lobby to the elevator, Colin bumps my shoulder, again, and he still hasn't removed his hands from his pockets.

"I'm going to say hi to Deb. I'll catch you later, Charlie."

Charlie?

No one calls me Charlie. I usually nip it in the bud because I'm not a Golden Retriever, but when Colin says it...well, I don't hate it.

As I regretfully watch him leave, I'm half-tempted to say hi to Deb, also, but I don't want to look desperate or clingy...the same two things I've never been and have always hated!

I'm starting to feel as if I'm always trying not to watch him. I should be here in the lobby talking to people, but instead, I'm watching him. He's talking to Deb as if they've known each other for years! He's casually tapping his hands on her desk and smiling broadly at something she's saying. He looks absolutely stunning as he leans forward against her desk and laughs. He could be doing a photo shoot right now.

It's not only the way he's interacting with Deb, but the way he interacts with everyone. He's incredibly genuine and sincere so it's not surprising people enjoy his company. Plus, he never stops smiling and his smile is a force to be reckoned with!

So, yeah, it's hard to look away.

I discreetly watch as he leaves Deb's desk and starts walking toward the stairs. As the elevator doors open, Colin looks at me from across the lobby. I tilt my head and ask.

"Are you coming?"

He declines before walking into the stairwell.

"No, thanks."

I don't know why he wants to run up five flights of stairs after filling up on a burger and fries.

I hate how I feel when he isn't next to me. It's obvious he's straight and not interested in spending time with me, but I'm almost feeling obsessed with him at this point. I can't help it because he captivates me. No one has ever held my attention the way he does.

By the time I arrive at the fifth floor, Colin's already sitting at his desk and Bethany's leaning against it, with her legs crossed at her ankles, and smiling at something he's saying. Colin is actively using his hands to help narrate a story, which has them both laughing.

How'd he get here so fast?

I swear, I do like Bethany. She's always been sweet and funny, and she's cute, not that I care. Right now, she could be hit by a truck and it wouldn't bother me.

Stop, Charles. That's not true. Not really. There's no need to get jealous over a straight guy.

I'm frustrated because she's so chummy with him. They get to work on the same project and spend all day laughing and hanging out. I know because I'm doing a terrible job of not watching him.

Bleh.

I need to work.

My brain is scrambled. I need to find someone to take my mind off of straight boy, Colin. I haven't had sex for two weeks, which might explain why I'm having such a strong reaction to him.

I pull my phone out to see if Grindr Guy is free.

** ** ** **

I want to thank LaRascasse and Oldnakeddad for editing my story.