All Comments on 'Surefoot 07: Uncertainty Principle'

by Surefoot

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
rightbankrightbankabout 7 years ago
well done! That was very good

Lots of drama, just enough romance, intrigue, science, sci fi, and conflict to make an interesting and intriguing story.

This could qualify as an episodic screen play.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Who are you??

The characters are real.. the plot a masterpiece... the dialogue and interactions are fun and believable. I can’t vouch for the accuracy to the Star Trek series since I’m only a cursory fan. But I am thoroughly enamored with your writing!

GrokerGrokerover 3 years ago

I'm enjoying the stories immensely, you are a talented writer.

There is usually some amount of fantasy in Science Fiction, but in the Star Trek universe incidents that fly in the face of known physics are "explained" by some devise which can allow the suspension of disbelief.

The surfing incident described here unfortunately rips that suspension away; there is too much impossibility - not just unlikely, but impossible.

Unlikely: The explosion applied enough force to an adjacent bulkhead to tear it apart, but left the captain and infant unharmed. The bulkhead fragment was shaped so exactly that it could maintain orientation when buffeted by re-entry atmosphere when approached at exactly correct angle. Let's ignore the discussion of gravity holding them to the surface of the bulkhead against the buffeting of an atmosphere dense enough to heat the bulkhead glowing.

Also, one's lungs should be voided before entering a vacuum to minimize the damage due to pressure differential - using a rebreather would be extremely unwise, as it would have no ability to apply external pressure to mitigate the issue. It is better to go without breathing for the couple of minutes at most it would take for other damage to be irrevocably fatal.

Impossible: to survive the type of acceleration that must have occurred for them to have moved to the atmosphere within the few seconds they had before exposure issues would have killed them. Satellites/stations have to orbit a sufficient distance that stray atmosphere molecules won't slow them down and decay their orbit. Our International Space Station, for example, orbits at 250 miles. Atmosphere is considered to extend to 60 miles, so there are a couple of hundred miles to travel to get to atmosphere even proceeding directly in a negative-Z (down) direction. We know that the station had a Z vector of zero prior to the explosion, because that's the definition of orbit. So, even if we halve the expected distance between station and atmosphere to 100 miles, and assume they took a full minute to cover that distance and were still able to be located and beamed away after that without having significant exposure damage, we still see an instantaneous acceleration to 100 miles per minute, or 6,000mph, on the Z-axis - NOT survivable (or likely). I know there is some amount of acceleration due to gravity, unknown as all of these factors are because this is not Terra we're talking about - but the mass can't be enough different from ours to be significant, or other activities on the planet would be impacted. But, in any case, the scale of distance to be travelled between a space station and atmosphere make even the most favorable set of assumptions unable to impact the impossibility of this happening as related, and turn the image from exciting to ludicrous.

Maybe if he'd grabbed a spare alien-tech shield bubble generator on his search for a lifepod....

bhojobhojoalmost 2 years ago

But didn't the spheres play with the laws of probability... Groker I am just saying that as long as you are unable to prove that there is no circumstance where the events described could happen then a device that can bend probability could enbale hrelles survival. He could have exhaled while the bulkhead was depressurizing... as the star trek universe has artificial gravity it could have helped with the orientation and surfing...

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous