Surefoot 07: Uncertainty Principle

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Left of Neraxis, Giles Arrington, clad in only his vest and boxers, rearranged the cards in his hand. "I'm relying on you to warm me up again, Sash."

She grunted. "Rely on warming yourself up tonight, stud."

On Neraxis' right, Eydiir Daughter-of-Kaas, half her civilian clothes on the pile, was frowning at her cards. "That shouldn't be a problem for him. He had plenty of practice of that when he was still living with us."

He shook a finger at her. "Hey, show some respect to a Squad Leader."

The Capellan woman offered him a finger of her own. Beside her, Jonas Ostrow was the most dressed, and looked pleased at that. "Come on, you losers, let's see your cards."

Opposite him, Kitirik, wearing only shorts and a thick woollen hat on his mottled reptilian head, looked up. "Friend Jonas, you are sounding uncharacteristically ruthless. Might I take the opportunity to congratulate you on your proficiency at this game?"

"Sure, sure, but show us your cards while you're doing it, buddy."

Next to Kitirik, the newest member of Alpha Squad, the Caitian named Rrori, like Giles dressed only in vest and boxers, dropped his cards in the pile. "I am cursed tonight."

The others followed suit, as Jonas displayed a royal flush and cackled. "Come on, losers! Pay up!"

The others began removing items of clothing and adding them to the pile. Jonas chuckled - until he saw Neraxis remove her bra and contribute it, which was when he found something else to look at.

The Bolian cursed good-naturedly. "There you go, Scrappy, get a good eyeful of my bouncers, like you've always wanted to."

Jonas was gathering up the cards. "That's okay. In fact, if you want, you can put something back on."

Rrori had removed his vest, revealing a furry, muscular torso of golden-white hue, the tufted tip of his tail curling around to sit in his lap like a pet. "That's not fair! Why make an exception for her?"

"Because he loves me," Neraxis teased, grinning.

"No I don't," the young man blushed in denial. "I mean, not... I mean... Shut up."

"But how do you manage to be so successful, Friend Jonas?"

Jonas was shuffling the deck once more, thankful for the change of subject. "I didn't just learn engineering from my mother's salvage crew, Kit. Is there a casino at Starbase 154? I might go there and raise enough money to buy a starship of my own, and you can all come and work for me." He chuckled.

"I thought you'd be more interested in visiting the cathouse there," Giles quipped.

"The what?" Rrori asked.

Giles flushed. "Sorry, no offence. It's another word for, uh..." He looked to the others for help.

"He refers to the brothel," Eydiir clarified, her tall, sturdy frame hugging her vest and shorts. "Beaudine, Ingalls and Pruhl have talked about it."

Jonas was fumbling with his cards, trying to recover. "Yeah. I, ah, might give it a miss."

"I heard they have women and men from a dozen different races," Giles commented, smiling. "Human, Andorian, Bolian, Draylax, Deltan-" His smile dropped at Sasha's look. "Not that I'm interested in going or anything, of course."

"I will grace it with my presence," Rrori declared. "I have much love, and credits, to offer." As the others laughed, he put a reassuring furred hand on Jonas' shoulder. "Do you wish to accompany me, my friend? We should celebrate your first time."

Jonas blushed. "Who says it'd be my first time?"

The others looked up at him.

"I meant no insult," the Caitian insisted. "For everyone and everything, there is a first time. Come, it will be my treat."

Jonas blushed more, not able to look up at anyone. "No thanks, I'm okay. I'll stick with gambling."

"He doesn't need to go if he doesn't want to," Sasha assured them, though it was obvious who she was really talking to.

Kitirik's eyes widened. "Friend Rrori, having no such carnal drives I would probably not benefit from being a customer. But do you think I might be allowed to observe one of the transactions?"

Rrori nodded. "I would be delighted to let you watch me! You will learn much from one with my skills."

Sasha's eyes widened. "Really? You're okay with that?"

The Caitian beamed. "Of course! I might even become the subject of one of Kit's rather impressive scientific reports!"

The Qarari brightened. "An excellent idea, Friend Rrori! Think of the extra credit I might earn!"

Eydiir grunted. "I'm sure Commander T'Varik will enjoy reading that one."

"I think she will," Rrori agreed without irony. "Females and males have found me most virile and desirable."

"Even when they learn your first name is 'Meow'?" Sasha teased.

His pride visibly deflated in front of them. "Mine is an ancient and distinguished name among my people. It does not have the same connotations that it does among you dirty primates."

"Are we playing cards, or talking about... sex?" Jonas asked, dishing out a new hand.

"Ignore them, Scrappy," Neraxis assured him, as the Bolian indicated her ample breasts. "What do you want with another woman, when you've got me around?"

The door chimed, and Sasha called out, "Come in."

Captain Hrelle stepped inside. "Sorry if I'm-" He looked at the near-naked cadets sitting on the floor. "-Disturbing anything."

Neraxis turned a darker shade of blue than usual, lifting up an item of clothing and pressing it against her chest. "Sorry, Sir, I, uh, didn't expect you here!"

He smirked. "No kidding. Don't worry, this isn't worse than what we used to do at your age during Grey Alerts."

"What did you used to do?" Sasha asked, but then shook her head. "Don't tell me, I don't want to know-"

"We masturbated until our arms fell off."

Sasha rolled her eyes as the others laughed. "Oy, I literally said 'Don't tell me'!"

He regarded her, more soberly asking, "Sasha, if you're not busy, I was wondering if we could have a little private talk? Something important has happened."

"Oh? What's happened?"

He breathed in, looking nervous now. "I've... I've been promoted to Admiral."

Everyone looked up at him, dumbfounded. Sasha murmured, "You're kidding."

"Yes. Come on, Runt of the Litter, let's go someplace."

She rose, motioning to the Squad's sleeping quarters, shutting the door as they entered, her expression more serious now. "Is there something wrong, Dad?"

He shook his head, taking a seat on the edge of one of the lower bunks, having to bend forward a little as she sat beside him, lit up from a nearby lantern. He sniffed. "Teenagers. I don't know how Rrori can stand it. Does he use nasal suppressants or-"

"Dad," she prompted softly.

Hrelle sighed. "This is stupid. Usually I go to Kami to talk about things, but... this is about her. And me. And you. I suppose I could talk to T'Varik, but maybe..."

She reached out and draped her hand over his, feeling his fur, his heat.

He stopped and gathered his thoughts, before finally continuing. "You know I love your mother, Sasha. I loved her the first time she called me a putz and told me to stick my head up my ass. I loved her scent and her chin and her laugh and the little snores she made as she was just drifting off to sleep." He stared at some discarded socks under the opposite bunk. "I always will-"

"And you love Kami," she finished, her gaze following his.

"You knew?"

"It was pretty obvious. And she already told me that she loved you." She smirked. "I'm not a little girl anymore, Dad. You can't surprise me."

He nodded. "I asked her to marry me."

Sasha went silent.

"Sash?"

"I was wrong, I guess you can surprise me."

"Sasha-"

"What did she say? When you asked?"

"She didn't. She wanted to have me cleared from Compulsory Counseling first."

She nodded.

"I'm sorry. It's a lot to drop in your lap."

"Yes, it is."

"If you don't want to talk about this any longer, I'll understand-"

"No. It's okay. It's been a long day, and I want to go to bed. When you go back out, send Giles in."

"Yes, Ma'am." He drew in and brushed against her face, a Caitian kiss. "Good night, Sash."

"Good night, Dad."

She was barely undressed and drawing back the covers on her bunk before Giles entered. "Hey, is everything-"

She stopped and raised a hand to him. "I don't want to talk about it. It's nothing bad, nothing terrible, everything will be okay, but I don't want to discuss it now. I just want to go to sleep. You should go back to Beta Squad quarters."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes; you need to spend more time with them anyway. And tell the others they can come to bed whenever they want, but I don't want to talk about it with them either."

He stared at her for a moment, before nodding. "Okay. Good night, Sash."

She nodded back and climbed into bed as he departed, glad he didn't try to insist on talking, or come in for a kiss, or something else she was sure he thought would have been a good idea.

*

"USS Surefoot, Captain's Personal Log, Stardate 36308.21: We have completed our inspection tour of the Sensor Buoys on the outskirts of the Malbruk system, as well as completing our mandatory Grey Alert test, and I'm pleased to report that both the buoys and we have passed muster. Full power and facilities have been restored, and after three days of eating rations, my stomach for one is pleased to find the replicators back on-line, even if I'm still on a diet of rabbit food.

On a more personal note, it's been two days since my last... private conversation with the Counselor. She's still waiting for her friend to clear me from Compulsory Counseling. I suppose I'm glad that she feels I'm well enough to only need to consult her as and when I feel like it. Ironically, if things work out the way I'd like them to, I'll be seeing a lot more of her-"

His combadge chirped. "Yes?"

"Commander T'Varik here, Sir. We have an incoming Priority transmission from Commander William Hilliard of the Starfleet Surgeon General's office."

He blinked, recognising the name from Kami. "So put it through to the Counselor."

"Sir, the instructions are for it to be received in the presence of the Counselor, you and myself."

He sat up. He had expected it to be about the evaluation or some other medical matter - then why involve his First Officer? "Find Kami and get in here."

"I've already summoned her. We're on our way."

Seconds later, both women entered his office, Kami's expression and voice matching his own bemusement. "What's Bill up to?"

"Let's find out. Commander?"

T'Varik opened the link, and the face of Commander Hilliard appeared on his wall monitor. "Captain Hrelle, I presume?"

He nodded. "Commander. This is my First Officer Commander T'Varik, and I believe you already know our Ship's Counselor."

"Bill," Kami piped in, "You didn't have to call me back yourself about my request-"

The man's expression was steely. "Counselor, one moment please. Commander T'Varik, by now you will have received official orders from my office piggybacked to this transmission; please examine them. Effective immediately, you are to assume temporary command of the Surefoot."

T'Varik lifted up the PADD in her hand to access the aforementioned orders, as Hrelle rose to his feet. "Excuse me?"

"What in the Seven Hells are you doing, Bill?" Kami demanded.

The man ignored her. "Captain Esek Hrelle, you are on temporary medical suspension pending a psychiatric evaluation by an investigative officer from the SGO."

"We have received the orders, Sir," T'Varik verified.

"You'd better have a damn good reason for this," Hrelle growled at the screen.

"I do, Sir." Now he focused on Kami. "Counselor Kami Shall, this office has received a complaint about you, specifically allegations regarding an improper relationship between yourself and Captain Hrelle."

"Complaint? Who's complained about me?"

"Their identity is not important at this time. Normally I would have dismissed such complaints, given your history - but then I received your rather unusual request, outside of normal channels and involving the Captain. That's a coincidence I can't ignore. And as per Starfleet Medical regulations, you will also be suspended from duty pending completion of an investigation into the allegations."

"Then why suspend Captain Hrelle as well?"

"You know the regulations, Kami: when a Counselor is being investigated, those compulsory patients of theirs must also be investigated - especially in this case, since the complaint involves the two of you."

"Commander Hilliard," Hrelle said, stressing the man's lower rank. "This is not only unnecessary, but insulting. Not just to myself, but to the Counselor. If you knew her-"

"I *do* know her, Captain. And I don't necessarily believe what's been said; but I would be remiss in my duties if it wasn't addressed."

"Commander," T'Varik interjected calmly. "I have lived and worked with these two individuals. I can assure you that there is nothing of significance to investigate."

"I appreciate your input, Commander. But unless you're a qualified Counselor, then it's merely your opinion."

"Then I must insist that these proceedings take place without undue delay, to minimise disruption to this ship and my cadets."

"I agree. That's why I've arranged for the Surefoot to proceed to Malbruk II; we have a Counselor based with the scientific team there who is a qualified investigator. His name is Lieutenant Martin Aiken, and if you cooperate, you'll be done in a couple of days."

"Bill," Kami said, almost pleadingly. "Please, let me explain-"

"You can explain everything to Lieutenant Aiken. The sooner you get there, the sooner this is resolved - one way or another. Hilliard out."

The screen went dark. The room went silent.

Then T'Varik spoke, looking as uncomfortable as a Vulcan could manage. "I am sorry about this unexpected turn of events, Captain, Counselor."

"Thank you," Hrelle replied blankly.

"Who would report me?" Kami muttered, sounding bewildered.

"That is irrelevant."

"Irrelevant?" the Caitian snapped at T'Varik. "Somebody complained about me to Starfleet Medical! And it has to be someone on this ship! Doesn't that matter?"

"At this point, no. What matters is that you both use the additional time allotted to you during your suspension to prepare for Lt. Aiken."

"She's right," Hrelle nodded. "T'Varik, since shore leave at 154 will be delayed, what can we find at Malbruk II?"

"It is a Class-M world, currently with an Archaeological Protection Status, with an orbiting research station."

"I'm sure there are places where they can camp out without disturbing the sites?"

"An excellent idea, Sir."

"I offer that as a suggestion, of course, rather than as an order," he added with some barbed amusement, "Since you're in charge now."

"Yes, Sir." The Vulcan continued to look uncomfortable about the situation. "May I infer that you wish yours and the Counselor's status to be kept on a Need to Know basis?"

"If you would, please."

"Of course, Sir. If anyone asks, I believe we can truthfully say that the two of you are on... Special Assignment." She looked between the two Caitians. "I also believe this will be resolved to everyone's satisfaction, and so advise you both to remain positive. We will arrive at Malbruk II in 7.62 hours."

Hrelle frowned. "As quick as that? The old girl will have to be doing Warp 9."

"Indeed; but it is not beyond the capabilities of the 'old girl', albeit with the requisite complaints from Chief Grev." She nodded to them both before exiting.

It was quiet again. Neither looked at each other.

"I'm sorry," both of them said in unison.

Hrelle looked up at her. "It was my fault. I seduced you."

She smirked, still looking pained and angry. "And what, you think I'm some innocent young cub just in her first Season? All this time I've been flirting with you, sitting on your lap, sleeping alongside you-"

"It wasn't like that-"

"Whoever complained obviously didn't see it like that! And do you think this Investigator is going to look at it as something innocent? Esek, we had sex! Regardless of whether or not you were psychologically strong enough for it at the time not to matter, the fact is you were technically under my care at the time! I'll be disbarred!"

"You don't know that'll be the case."

"But what if it is? What then?"

"Then I'll resign. We'll go off somewhere and do something else together!"

She stared at him in abject disbelief, a disbelief that became anger. "I already feel guilty enough about getting you suspended alongside me, now you threaten to throw away everything you've worked for? Are you insane?"

"If I am, then this investigator will know for sure-"

"Stop it! What am I supposed to think about a man willing to drop his whole life because of an impulsive act-"

"It wasn't impulsive. Well, not really-"

"Or maybe this is all just your cock talking? I can just hear it now! 'Never mind all the years you put into becoming a Starfleet Captain, just throw it all away! Throw it all away because you got between this female's legs! To the Seven Hells with everything else in the Galaxy!'"

"My penis seems to have a big voice, considering its actual size."

She hissed at him.

He drew closer to her. "Kami, stay calm. T'Varik is right, everything will work out-"

"You don't know that!"

"Yes, I do. Because I've been through far worse, and I'm still here. There has to be a reason for it." He reached for her.

She drew into his embrace, needing it more than she could have guessed.

*

Deck 1, Bridge, 0600 Hours:

T'Varik had heard the alert beep from the Ops console behind her, and had deduced the nature and origin of the incoming message before the cadet on station that shift, the Vulcan Falok, had formally announced, "Commander, there is a Priority message from Professor Erik Solberg, from Tyche Station on Malbruk II."

T'Varik could have pre-empted Falok's statement, but knew such actions would risk engendering a presumption on the cadets' part that they need not always follow procedure. "Onscreen, if you would, Mr Falok."

The starfield was replaced by the image of an elderly human male, with thinning white hair and wrinkled skin and aquiline nose, his sharp blue eyes fixed on her. "You are Captain Hrelle?"

"I am First Officer T'Varik, currently in command. How may I assist you, Professor?"

Solberg's thin lips curled into a scowl. "You may explain why our sensors have detected you on approach to us at high warp! You were supposed to be inspecting our outer Sensor Buoys and then be on your way! What is the meaning of this?"

"Please excuse any alarm we might have caused you, Professor. By now you should have been made aware that we have an appointment with a member of Starfleet, Lieutenant Aiken."

The elderly man grunted. "Yes, but I didn't expect you to arrive for another day at least! Why the rush?"

"We merely wish to conclude our business with the Lieutenant as quickly as possible."

Now he grunted, sounding more satisfied. "Having dealt with that officious little prick, I don't blame you. But you can't meet him here! Tyche Station is restricted! It'll have to be on your ship or on the planet!"

She nodded. "Understood, Professor."

But then the man frowned. "However... I would request that we be allowed the use of your ship's computer while you're here."

She raised an eyebrow. "For what purpose?"

"We have a..." He glanced around, to things outside the reach of the viewscreen. "A slight operational problem, one that has arisen in the midst of a programming upgrade. We are attempting to identify and isolate the problem, and an independent computer running a diagnostic would assist us greatly."

"Of course. Our engineering team will be more than able to assist-"

"No! Just give us access, and we'll do the rest!"

"That will not be possible, Professor. Regulations forbid it."

123456...9