Surefoot 07: Uncertainty Principle

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers

"Your people won't be familiar with our specifications, and they won't be cleared for access to it!"

"I am certain that their talents will be more than sufficient to assist, and if the need is urgent, then they can be temporarily cleared for access-"

"Unacceptable! Just give us access and let us get on with it!"

T'Varik paused, though she already knew what her reply would be. "That will not be possible, Professor."

The man's skin darkened. "Starfleet Command will hear about this! Mark my words, Vulcan!"

The screen returned to a starfield with warp streaks.

"Well, he's a charmer." That was from Wileves Drill, the Bolian Flight Conn Specialist of Gamma Shift, sitting in front of the Captain's chair.

Nearby, Engineering Specialist Bobbi Yeager, a petite human with a broad chin and nose and an impressive mane of sable hair, chuckled. "We should fix him up with Dr Ling, their combined bad attitude could implode space itself."

"I believe that's more than enough banter," T'Varik admonished; she knew Captain Hrelle was more liberal about such instances, but she preferred to not encourage bad habits in the cadets while they were on duty. Then she focused on mentally reviewing her argument with Solberg. There was something indefinably wrong, but she was at present unable to identify the nature of it.

*

Deck 2, Counselor's Quarters, 0800 Hours:

Kami had been sitting, looking at her PADD, when the door chimed. "Come."

The door slid open, and Jonas Ostrow entered. "Counselor?"

She sat up. "Jonas? I'm sorry, I've had to reschedule our session for a later date, I'm on a... special assignment at the moment." The words stuck in her throat, hating euphemisms and evasions, preferring to speak her mind.

"I know, I got the message. I just-" His expression was troubled.

Kami regarded him. She was technically on suspension, and couldn't operate in an official capacity as Counselor until this damn investigation was cleared. But there was no way in the Seven Hells that she could just send someone who needed help, or at least a friendly ear, away. "Come on in and sit down, I think I can spare you a couple of minutes for an informal chat. What is it?"

He let the door slide shut behind him as he took a seat in front of her desk, his hands clasped tightly together on his lap. "Am I- Am I normal?"

She smiled politely. "That's a hell of a question this early in the morning, Jonas."

He blushed. "I'm sorry, it's stupid- I should go-"

He started to rise, but she waved him down again. "You should stay." Kami leaned forward, resting her elbow on her desk and her chin on her fist as she regarded him, finally replying, "No, you're not normal." She smiled at his reaction. "You're better than normal. Why are you asking?"

He couldn't meet her gaze. "It... I'm not... Some of the guys, I don't want to say who, well, they're talking about... well, at Starbase 154, there's supposed to be this place in the civilian sector where... where-"

"Where you can pay for sex?" she finished for him.

He looked up at her, shocked. "How did you know?"

"I didn't think you'd be this embarrassed if you were talking about a pizzeria. They're pressuring you to come along with them?"

"No! I mean, well, not really. I mean, I'm used to it, getting teased when I look away if someone's undressing or if they're talking about sex or something... I know that's stupid-"

"It's not stupid, Jonas. Do you want to go with them to one of these places? They're legal, they're clean, you're an adult, you can go without breaking any Starfleet or Academy-specific regulations."

He swallowed. "I suppose... just to get everyone to stop teasing me-"

She held up a hand to stop him. "Hold it right there. There are many good reasons to go to a place like that... but that's not one of them."

He paled. "B-But, if it'll make a man out of me-"

"I'm sorry, Jonas, but you're way too late for that; a man sits in front of me already. I see him, hear him, smell him. And losing your virginity to someone you don't even know, over an exchange of credits, is not going to change that. The opportunity will come when it comes, you don't have to rush it."

His pale skin had flushed further. "I suppose. B-But... if I do meet someone, what if I... disappoint her?"

She smiled. "Do you want to know the secret? The secret about what women want in a man?" She held up her hand and started counting off her fingers. "Honesty..."

Then she stopped.

He blinked. "That's it?"

She seemed to consider the question, before adding, "Good hygiene. There's few things more distracting than making love with someone who has bad breath or sweaty pits. Everything else we like - in my own case, broad shoulders, a sense of humour and a furry belly - are certainly things we wouldn't say No to. But no matter how attractive we might find a man, none of those things mean anything if he doesn't respect us enough to be honest with us.

When you meet the right woman - and you will, I promise - she will already have seen all your remarkable positive qualities, and won't care how experienced you are, or appear to be. You don't have to be the knowledgeable stud; half the fun can be both of you finding out what you like and don't like."

That seemed to bolster the younger man. He nodded, smiling. "Thank you, Counselor."

She smiled back. "You're welcome. Now get going, I have work to do."

He thanked her again and left. The office was quiet once more.

And Kami was profoundly aware of how much she loved this job. And how much she would miss it if she couldn't do it any longer.

*

Deck 1, Bridge:

T'Varik rose from the Captain's chair as Hrelle entered. He waved her off. "There's no need, Commander."

She stopped. "I wish to speak with you privately." She motioned to the door to the Ready Room; he followed. "Captain, an issue has arisen regarding the scientific team on Malbruk II. I remain in command of course, but..." She paused, breathing in before continuing. "Your services as advisor would be appreciated."

He nodded. "Proceed, Commander."

She motioned to the control panel beside the main display screen on the nearest wall. "The Project's Director, Professor Solberg, has requested permission to utilise the Surefoot's main computer to run an independent diagnostic sweep of his own network."

"What's their problem?"

"He would not say, and he refused to provide further details or allow our engineering personnel to assist. I declined, and he has threatened to contact Starfleet Command."

"What's the nature of their research?"

"Classified."

"Do you have access to the personnel records? What are their fields of study?"

"There appears to be two main fields: the expected Archaeology and Anthropology, and more... esoteric studies: quantum mechanics, probability mechanics and mathematics."

His ears twitched. "Those tend to lean towards the theoretical than the practical."

"Indeed. However, the Federation Science Council has placed a Level-7 Classified Security Rating on Tyche Station."

Hrelle nodded at the information, before declaring, "Still, you did the right thing. You know the regulations better than I do."

"Undoubtedly. And yet it is my discretion to allow for exceptions under certain circumstances."

His furred brow creased. "Are you second-guessing yourself, T'Varik? Why? I've never known you to do that."

Her expression approximated his own. "I never have... until now. The situation is novel. I am in command."

"You've been in command before."

"Temporarily, while serving my duty shift, with the implicit knowledge that you were still the commanding officer. This is no longer the case, at least for now. The consequences of my decisions, for good or ill, will fall upon me. During the incident with the Nist, Sasha criticised me for having spent my Starfleet career exclusively at the Academy, teaching, while others did the 'real work'. Though those words were spoken in anger, there is some measure of truth to them."

Hrelle shrugged. "Some measure... but not much, really. You have a lifetime of knowledge and the recorded experience of starship captains at your disposal - and you have my own modest expertise, which tells me you made the right decision. I've heard many threats from others to go over my head when they've not got what they wanted from me, and more times than not, they're all piss and wind. But if Solberg ends up the exception that proves the rule, Starfleet Command won't chastise you, they'll just order you to assist."

T'Varik considered his advice, before nodding and replying, "Thank you, Sir. And how are you and the Counselor doing?"

He sighed. "She's more nervous than I am, I think. I suppose I can't blame her. I... I put her career at risk, by my actions." Now he blushed. "You, ah, probably don't need to know the details-"

"Kami made me aware of the general sequence of events, though I had her spare me the more... graphic details. In your defence, Sir, I should remind you that, unless the Counselor was incapacitated or you forced yourself upon her, then she was as much to blame as you. Your chivalry-driven guilt will not help the situation."

Hrelle nodded. "Thank you."

"I am holding the briefing in 1.85 hours. Would you and Counselor Shall attend, for appearance's sake?"

"Of course."

*

Deck 1, Mess Hall, 1250 Hours:

Sasha's nose appreciated the tomato and chorizo soup, at least. Her tongue, too, if she thought about it. The rest of her, however, was too distracted.

Rrori was the first member of her squad to join her at the table from the replicators, sitting opposite her with a plate of fried beef and rice. "There's a rumour that we're going to Malbruk II for military exercises. Have you heard anything?"

She shrugged.

"Cadet Chaudri is working on a holodeck simulator for combat shuttle engagements," he continued. "She, Cadet Drill, Squad Leader Arrington and I will be competing. I hope you do not take it as an affront to your lover if I thoroughly thrash him, but the honour of our Squad must be maintained." He chuckled.

She didn't respond.

The Caitian regarded her, setting down his fork. "Are you okay? If I am intruding, just let me know-"

She shook her head, gathering her next words carefully. "Do Caitians love?"

His pointed ears twitched. "Of course we do."

"I mean, like humans do?"

"I have no basis for comparison. If you mean physically, like quickened pulse and other biological signs, I imagine it's identical, though with us you'll also know when we can't stop our tails from wagging." He chuckled again.

"But does it mean the same thing to you that it does to us?"

"Again, I can't really compare. I know we work on instinct more than humans. We know fairly quickly if we love or hate someone, or something. And we tend to let the object of that love or hate know it."

"And do you believe in fidelity? When you marry, you choose to love that person forever, and never think of another?"

Rrori pushed his tray aside and leaned forward, dropping his voice. "My people's attitudes to relationships will vary, as yours do. We have polygamous and polyandrous relationships, as well as monogamous, and there are those of us who choose to live alone and have many partners through our lives.

But I believe that when we marry, we do love that other person forever. Even if that other person is no longer with us, either by death or divorce or whatever other circumstances. Because they remain permanently connected to that part of our lives, even if they can't, or won't, continue to be a part of it." He paused, and added in a whisper, "Your father will always love your mother."

She blinked. "How- How did you know I was asking about him?"

He shrugged. "I am a most brilliant and talented individual, but it doesn't take brilliance and talent to work it out. I have observed him as he speaks of your mother; he still loves her, and if she was still alive, he would never have bonded with the Counselor. Would your mother have preferred he never love again after her passing?"

She didn't answer.

"Or maybe it's just you who would prefer it if he didn't?"

Before she could respond, they and everyone else in the mess hall felt the subtle vibrational shift as the ship dropped out of warp space and into normal space, the starfield streaks outside replaced with the image of a large orange-red planet with dark blue seas and wisps of clouds in the atmosphere.

Then Commander T'Varik's voice filled the air. "Attention all cadets: there will be a mandatory briefing at 1300 Hours regarding our current assignment. Captain Hrelle and Counselor Shall are on temporary Special Assignment; all ship's business is to be directed to myself until further notice."

Rrori drew back his lunch. "We'd best finish up; I don't want to leave the briefing midway to go to the Little Caitian's Room."

She nodded, not looking at him as she replied, "Thanks, Meow."

He grunted. "You really don't need to keep using my first name."

Sasha allowed herself a small smile. "I know."

*

Deck 1, Briefing Room, 1300 Hours:

T'Varik looked out at the assembled cadets, trisected by division, though more by natural instinct, while Captain Hrelle and Counselor Kami sat closer to her, their body language indicative of anxiety. T'Varik concluded that they were reacting to the arrival of Lt. Aiken, who had transported onboard and was waiting in her office.

For almost 4.5 milliseconds, she allowed herself to feel concern for her friends, before resuming her normal control. "At ease." As the cadets obeyed, she continued. "As you can see through the observation windows, we are currently in orbit around Malbruk II, a Class-M world that formerly inhabited a civilisation that died out two millennia ago, and recently designated suitable for colonisation following an extensive archaeological survey. There is currently a population of approximately 400, 100 of which are employed on Tyche Station, an orbiting research facility performing classified work. Yes, Mr Arrington?"

Giles lowered his hand. "What sort of classified work, Commander?"

"The classified sort; the answer is in the question, Cadet, please do not waste our time." She allowed the other cadets to laugh, before she continued. "No one will be visiting Tyche Station, nor the main community, where the majority of the archaeological sites have been deemed protected areas. Instead, I scheduled shore leave on the largest southern continent. You may fly down in the shuttles and select a campsite-"

Suddenly the briefing room door slid open, and a tall, slim, middle-aged figure with thinning straw-coloured hair and clad in Starfleet medical blue entered. T'Varik focused on the stranger, a pale-skinned human male, suspecting who it was but still ordering, "Identify yourself."

The figure strode up to her, his voice lyrical, though with a snide and impatient tone. "Lieutenant Martin Aiken, Starfleet Medical, Investigative Services. You're expecting me."

T'Varik ignored the curious rustling from the cadets. "I believe I left orders for you to wait for me in my office when you boarded."

Aiken shrugged. "My time is precious, and I didn't feel like waiting. A Vulcan should appreciate brevity."

T'Varik's expression creased. "We also appreciate respect and decorum-"

"Fine, fine," he replied impatiently - his attention focusing on Hrelle and Kami as he barked, "Is this an official briefing? What are they doing in here? Why aren't they confined to their quarters?"

The reaction from the cadets increased - in particular, the confusion and concern most apparent on Sasha's expression. Hrelle and Kami rose to their feet, drawing close as T'Varik attempted to regain control of the proceedings, her voice deliberately raised so everyone can hear her clarify the situation. "Lieutenant, no one onboard is confined to their quarters, as no one is facing criminal charges. You are only here to investigate a complaint. That is all."

But the man was already looking away, to the cadets. "I'll need to speak to a few of you, too. Which one of you is Sasha Hrelle?"

Sasha glared at him. "I am, why?"

Now Hrelle stepped closer, looking angry. "You stay away from them, they have nothing to do with this."

Aiken gave him a contemptuous glance. "You're hardly in a position to make demands, Hrelle."

"That's Captain Hrelle to you, Lieutenant."

"Of course... Captain. But you're still relieved of duty, same as the Counselor, and I have orders to take any steps necessary to fulfil my mission and find out the truth about what you two have been up to. And under such circumstances, you and Counselor Shall really shouldn't be mixing with the rest of the crew, should you? Or with each other, for that matter?"

Hrelle wanted to argue further, but was acutely aware of all the eyes and attention on him just now. Unwilling to make a bad situation worse, he conceded, "No."

Aiken turned back to T'Varik. "Clearly my arrival is not too soon. I'll see the cadets first."

T'Varik touched her combadge. "Mr. Abed, come in here, please." She drew up to Aiken. "Lieutenant, I am in command of this vessel, and regardless of your orders, you will comport yourself as befits your rank." As the ship's Security Officer entered, T'Varik ordered, "Mr. Abed, escort Mr Aiken to the Auxiliary Office on Deck 2. Mr Aiken, you will remain there for the duration of your stay onboard, where you will conduct your interviews. You will also provide me with a list of those individuals with whom you may wish to speak; they need to be briefed on their rights beforehand."

Aiken regarded her, before reaching out and providing her with a PADD he held. "As you wish, Commander. But you're not making this any easier for me."

"I do not recall receiving any orders to do so. Mr Abed, if you would?"

"Yes, Ma'am." The man motioned to the briefing room door, and Aiken followed.

T'Varik turned to Hrelle, her voice lower. "I regret that this occurred, Captain-"

"I know, Commander." He looked to Kami.

Kami turned to the bemused cadets, her face pained and angry as she addressed them. "Before the rumour generator goes into overdrive: someone made a complaint to Starfleet Medical about me, that I have behaved improperly with the Captain. They wouldn't tell me who complained - but I know it won't be any of you. If... If I don't get the chance to tell you later, I want to say it's been a pleasure to get to know all of you. You will all have fine, wonderful lives in Starfleet. Thank you."

Then she left. Hrelle reached out for her, but she made the effort to step out of his reach.

Then Hrelle spoke again, though it felt more like a need to break the almost unbearable tension in the room. "If you'll excuse me, Commander, I... need to find some place where I won't get into trouble. Again."

After the briefing, the cadets selected for interview assembled in a waiting area, opposite the Auxiliary office where Lt. Aiken was set up. As it turned out, it was just Alpha Squad he wanted to speak with. Sasha remained quiet, while the others hovered around her, doing all the speaking. Beside her, Neraxis was shaking her head. "It's insane! I mean, yeah, she's flirty with the Captain and they banter a lot, but that's just the way they are!"

"She's always been good and supportive to all of us," Jonas noted, looking forlorn. "I don't want to see her go."

"None of us do, Friend Jonas," Kitirik agreed. "But if she did, what would happen?"

"A replacement Counselor would be provided," Eydiir answered, staring at Sasha, concerned for her silent friend. "She might maintain her licence to practice, but not on Starfleet vessels or facilities."

"What about the Captain?" Jonas asked. "Why was he suspended too?"

"He's been her compulsory patient," Sasha finally offered, her voice low. "It's standard procedure."

Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers
123456...9