The Bonding Chronicles Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was surprising how quickly Allison settled into the casual conversation. Soon everyone found themselves laughing about the random and mundane topics they discussed. While everyone else got their second bowls of stew, Andrew and Allison nursed their first. By the end of dinner Sara and Dave seemed fit to burst, rubbing their bellies with satisfied grins.

***** The Family That Trains Together *****

Dave flexed with excitement as Andrew asked, "So are we training or what?"

"Really?"

"Well even without Will, it still seems like it could be fun." Andrew stood from the table and looked at his father with apprehension. "Can we train inside tonight?"

The sound of the rattling shutters reinforced the practicalities of Andrew's question.

"Yeah, definitely." Dave stood and rushed to gather his sparring gear, a large smile on his eager face.

Allison stood from the table. "Michelle, everyone, thanks for having me over tonight. I think it's time I headed home." Her usual somber expression held a hint of genuine regret at her need to leave.

"It was wonderful having you over tonight, dear. You're welcome back anytime." Michelle's voice was kind and appreciative. Sara gave her friend a hug and thanked her for her help. Dave came back into the living room and dropped a duffle bag on the floor. Just in time to give Allison a farewell handshake as she prepared to leave.

"Drive safe, Alli. Send us a text when you get home so we know you made it. OK?" Andrew's voice betrayed the concern he felt as he watched her approach the door.

"Sure thing, scrappy. Try not to get too beat up."

They all laughed. The door was almost pulled out of Allison's hand by the strong storm winds as it opened. Lowering into a crouch, she stepped outside and forced the door closed with the assistance of Dave. A cool damp breeze blew through the room, disturbing all of the worried and quiet faces within.

"OK, Andrew." Dave began as he opened his bag and started pulling out various pieces of equipment. "If you are going to do this we need to start with the fundamentals."

Andrew caught the open palm training gloves that his father threw at him in surprise. Sara raised an eyebrow at Andrew as they both thought the same thing; how did he manage to catch the two gloves? His hand eye coordination was terrible, and Sara had witnessed that first hand. During PE he managed to stop the basketball by swatting it out of the air when it was passed to him. Even something that large was difficult for him to grab mid-flight. Both gloves were traveling independent of each other through the air, and he managed to catch them with what looked like practiced ease.

They both smiled as Andrew tossed the gloves to Sara.

"If you don't mind, could you work with Sara on all that punchy kicky stuff? I would like to work with Mom on learning some defense."

"Of course, Andrew, but I figured you would want to learn how to strike." Dave was disappointed that he was not going to be teaching Andrew.

"The one thing I learned from Will is that I cannot see a punch coming, quite literally, to save my life."

They all chuckled as Dave tossed padded sparring gloves at his wife. Putting on a pair of target mitts Dave started. Both of the young adults were taught the fundamentals of proper stance and hand placement. Sara picked everything up with shocking ease, while Andrew struggled to maintain proper positioning.

Dave and Sara moved to the other side of the room while Michelle continued to reinforce the importance of proper stance. "OK, I want you to pay attention to my shoulders as I punch. I'm going to throw a wide right cross, and when you see my shoulder drop back I want you to bring your fist to the side of your face. Take the hit on your shoulder and then return to boxing stance."

Andrew nodded his head and watched his mother with serious and squinty eyes. As her shoulder dropped back he brought his hand up to his face with a slow and clumsy movement, but his mother's gloved hand made contact with his arm way before his fist was in position. He knew that she had thrown her punch comically slow, and still he was not fast enough. His brain focused on every movement as he returned back to boxing stance.

His mother kicked his feet a little and then repositioned his hands before she again stood before him. Her face was warm and understanding as she raised her eyebrows, asking Andrew if he was ready. As he nodded she again threw her punch and he again was too slow. Returning to stance he knew he was better positioned, but was surprised by how far his feet had shifted.

Ten minutes later and Sara and Dave were practicing punching combinations with loud exertion. Dave would call out a combination and Sara would perform it in quick succession. Andrew was making slow progress and was getting frustrated working on the same block. He was still getting tapped at the same point as he brought his hand up. His return to boxing stance was improved, his mother only needing to make minor corrections every few blocks.

"You're doing great, sweetie." Michelle's voice was comforting and sincere as she watched her son return to stance.

Another ten minutes passed, and for the first time Andrew managed to get his hand into position before the punch landed. The force of the strike was enough to push Andrew's fist into his face. He rubbed the dull pain out of his tender side while he smiled and listened to his mother speak.

"Great job, Andrew. Now, I want you to pay attention to how you position your fist. It should be right up against your cheek, to prevent what just happened."

Andrew was proud at having gotten his arm up in time. As he smiled his mother threw a surprise right cross and tapped him on the chin just before he could get his arm up.

"Don't lower your guard. Fights are full of distractions and you can never lose focus."

Andrew blushed as he internalized his mother's words. This humbling moment did little to dampen his excitement at having seen the punch coming and at least trying to react to it. Thinking back on his confrontation with Will he could remember how little he could do, and how frozen he was as he watched the punch disappear into his abdomen.

"Thanks, Mom." He said as he returned to perfect boxing stance.

Thirty minutes later and Michelle had Andrew working on alternating left and right cross blocks. Andrew was pleased to find that predicting the left cross came much more quickly to him. He watched his mother's body, and as she shifted her weight he started moving into a defensive position within an instant.

Dave was coated in a fine sheen of sweat while he practiced chains of combinations with Sara. She was bouncing, almost dancing around him, waiting for a signal. Once he slammed the two target mitts together she would close the distance to him, and he would place the mitts into position, a silent command for specific punches and kicks. Six punches and two kicks later she would drop a shoulder and feint out of range. Dave tried to take a swipe at her, finding open air where she was standing a brief moment before.

"Great job, you two." Dave said as he stepped away from Sara who still eyed him like a predator. "I think that's enough for tonight."

Sara bounced on her toes while she hit her gloved fists together, eager to continue. Smiling at Andrew she winked while she took off her gloves.

"Wow, that was a blast, Dave." Her wide happy smile was infectious as everyone in the room laughed.

"Are you sure you've never taken any kind of martial arts before?" Dave asked as he gathered the equipment from everyone, opening it up and letting it air out.

"Nope, I'm just that good I guess." Her voice was confident and teasing as she threw shadow punches at Andrew, which he blocked from across the room.

Shaking his head, Dave laughed at the playful display from the young couple. "I guess so. We might try sparring tomorrow, if the weather allows for it."

Sara grinned wide as she savored that thought. "That would be amazing. Thank you so much for everything. You two are soo amazing." She ran over and gave Michelle a tight hug while she fought back tears. Wiping her eyes she gave Andrew a quick kiss before rushing towards his room. "I'm just going to go rinse off."

"Is she alright?" Michelle asked Andrew in a whisper while the young woman fled the room.

"Yeah, she's just never had a real family before. I guess I've kind of taken for granted just how wonderful you two are."

As Michelle closed the distance to give her son a hug he was surprised when she dropped her shoulder. His arm came up and he lowered his center of mass while watching her carefully.

"Perfect." She said as she opened her fist and reached out, pulling Andrew into a hug.

"She's an amazing woman, Andrew. Don't fuck this up."

Everyone chuckled at Michelle's rare use of profanity.

"Don't worry, mom. I will always protect what I have with Sara. I am just so happy you two care for her so much."

"How could we not? She is such a special person. We see how much you love her, and she has already changed our lives in such wonderful ways." Michelle blushed as she looked at her husband. Dave winked while he drank from a large glass of water, subtly repositioning himself within his pants.

Andrew could hear the shower in his bathroom start, and suspected that Sara heard their entire conversation. He hoped that she did, because she deserved to know how much they all cared for her.

***** A New Familiar Friend *****

The strong storm winds buffeted the trees above the SUV as Andrew and Sara drove down the highway. Andrew's parents had pleaded with them to stay, even offering for Sara to spend the night. Everyone was surprised when Sara rejected their offer with a pout. She explained that she was worried about her cat and didn't want to leave her home alone during the storm.

Dave and Michelle insisted that Andrew stay at Sara's, not wanting them to be on the road any longer than necessary. They already had all of the painting supplies they needed, so that freed up the car until after school the next day.

"So, what is really going on, kitten?"

Sara laughed while she watched Andrew drive the car down the blustery road. He was driving at a respectful pace, a little slow for Sara, but a pace she could still appreciate considering the storm.

"Why does something have to be going on?" The tone of her voice raised at the end of her baiting question.

"We both know you want nothing more than to have a sleep over."

"Weren't you listening? I still get my sleep over." Sara's voice was happy as she brushed his cheek.

"So, we are actually heading to your place then? Great. Because I really don't want to be driving in this weather any longer than we have to."

Lightning flashed across the sky as rain started pouring onto the windshield at a steep angle. The car jerked as they came into a clearing in the trees. The powerful storm winds pushing the car towards the shoulder.

"OK, so maybe we do have one other stop to make." Sara said with a guilty grin while she watched Andrew. Her adoring eyes never leaving his face. She had complete trust in her man as he drove them down the wettening road. His skillful grip on the wheel keeping them centered within their lane.

"I knew it!" Andrew yelled in triumph as he adjusted his speed, feeling the tires slipping as they took a wide lazy curve in the highway. He could almost feel the car strain as the storm jostled and jolted the timid vehicle. With tremendous care Andrew navigated them through the storm while Sara directed him where to go.

Andrew knew that Sara wanted this to be a surprise, so he focused on a different topic.

"I called your mechanic earlier, and I may have to break my promise. 'The Rocket' may be going to that junkyard in the sky."

Her eyes widened as her fears were confirmed. 'The Rocket' had been her first car, and despite how it appeared she had spent a lot of money to keep it running.

"So, how much will it cost?" She was uncertain if she wanted the answer, but she had to know.

"Five thousand, minimum." Andrew risked a brief glance to the side, where he took in Sara's somber expression. "So, how do you feel about car shopping?"

"What, like together?" The excited anticipation in her voice brought a smile to Andrew's face.

Gripping the wheel against a strong gust of wind he responded, "Why not? Have we done anything else in a traditional way?"

"I would love to get a car with you. It's just a lot of money, and I can't expect you to pay for it."

Andrew laughed as he listened to Sara's concern. "Kitten, don't worry about money. I am sitting on a decent sized nest egg."

"If we are really considering this, then let's split it."

"But I'm the one who broke her. It's my responsibility."

It was Sara's turn to laugh as she cupped the side of his face. "Well, just like the death of 'The Rocket,' I think that 'The Sequel' should be something we get together."

Andrew chuckled. "We can settle on a name when we find our new car. Are you sure you can afford to do this?"

With an infectious laugh, Sara responded, "This won't be the first thing my mother's guilt has paid for, prince."

"I guess that's settled then. So that just leaves one question. Prince?"

Raising her hands in triumph she acclaimed, "Purple Rain!"

The SUV settled into the driveway of a small rambler style house nestled into the woods.

"Wow, tiger. I'm impressed. That's one hell of a nickname." Pride shined through Andrew's smile as he leaned across and gave Sara a passionate kiss. Caressing her cheek he asked, "So, anything I should know before we go in?"

Sara's cheeks flushed as she responded, "Well, my friend wanted to talk about what happened last night. Just don't freak out when you meet them, OK?"

"Why would I freak out? Is he some kind of monster? Ohh, please tell me he is some kind of monster! That would be amazing."

They both laughed as Sara shook her head and grinned at Andrew's excited smile. "Silly nerd. You will understand in a second. Ready?"

Soft light diffused through the large raindrops that fell around the short unassuming house. The tall trees served their purpose, protecting them from the strong storm winds that howled through the branches above. Andrew studied the house for a few moments, listening to the soft music of wind chimes that filled the air. The melodic tone adding to the mystery that stood before him.

"OK, tiger. You trust this person, and they may have answers that we need."

Sara sensed his nervousness as she watched his inquisitive eyes dart around the dark exterior. Kissing his cheek she left the car and dashed to the house. Andrew took a deep breath, steadying himself against his fear of the unknown. He wanted answers. Deep down he craved answers, but he was afraid of what he might find out. Remembering Sara's car he worried that he might be dangerous.

"Well, whatever I am, it's better to know." He mumbled to himself as he exited the vehicle. The raindrops pooled in the upper canopy before falling to the ground with a pronounced thwap that sounded alien to Andrew's ear. As the large drops landed, sending cold water running down his back, he shivered against the surprising chill. He grabbed his rucksack from the backseat and rushed to the house, watching the ground with careful determination through the gloom of the cloudy night.

Andrew stopped five feet before the door, brought short by the sight of Sara hugging her friend. Karen smiled at his shocked expression as she released Sara from her embrace. She waved for the young couple to enter her house. Andrew stood in mute surprise, looking at his teacher with a new found perspective. Sara disappeared into the welcoming warmth of the building, eager to get out of the rain.

Karen laughed, her voice musical and happy. "Come in, Andrew. You must be cold."

Clutching his bag, he continued his journey into the house. Entering the home he was pleased to find it was indeed welcoming and warm. Nothing like what he expected. His secret desire was that he would enter the room and find mountains of tomes and scrolls. An endless sea of knowledge, shrouded in mystery and begging to be explored. Magical devices littered around the room with no rhyme or reason. Everything cast in the flickering glow of countless candles that burned away, adding to the wax of the candles that had come before them.

Instead, he was surprised that the room seemed much like the house outside, unassuming and normal. The living space was large and well appointed, with all the modern furnishings you would expect to find. There was a sofa, several chairs and a coffee table that was covered with newspapers and magazines. The far wall was dominated by a large fireplace which belched out comforting heat as the logs burned slowly within. The fireplace was framed with a massive built in bookshelf, and from across the room he spotted a few familiar looking prints. There were several small piles of books here and there, but nothing that seemed out of place to him. Sara stood, warming her hands before the fire, the radiant light framing her with a sexy glow.

The sound of the door closing shook Andrew from his study of the cluttered but somehow organized room.

"May I offer you something warm to drink? Tea perhaps."

Andrew turned and studied Karen. She was no longer wearing a plain long dress like she wore at school. Her light blue blouse accentuated her curves, and her jeans highlighted the flair of her hips. While she had an average build, the casual clothes she wore showed off her body well, providing her with a much younger appearance.

"I would love some tea." Sara said with a cheerful tone as she soaked in the warmth from the popping and crackling fire.

"Tea would be fantastic. Thank you, Karen." Andrew said as he continued to study Karen's hips.

The teacher shook her head and chuckled as she replied, "Please, make yourselves comfortable. Should be but a moment."

As Karen left the room, Andrew came up behind Sara. Pulling her back against him, he wrapped her in his arms while he rested his face between her shoulder blades.

"You're friend seems nice. He looks familiar though."

They both laughed as Sara responded, "Yeah, I might have bent the truth a tad. But come on. You woulda figured it out right away if I said 'she.'"

Andrew squeezed her for a brief moment before turning her around to face him. Leaning up they shared a soft and tender kiss for a couple of moments. "I know, baby. I love how much you protect the people you care about. She must mean a lot to you, for you to protect her identity from me. I know how difficult it is to keep secrets from you, so this must have been important."

They shared another embrace, basking in the heat from the fire, and the coziness of their affections.

Pulling apart, Andrew took the opportunity to inspect the shelves around them. The books were plentiful, and many were quite old. He was surprised to find most of them were in French, Italian, and a few were in German. He was studying a small framed black and white picture when Karen entered the room with a heavily burdened tray. Sara began clearing a place on the coffee table with eager anticipation.

"It's been forever since we sat and shared some tea." Sara's voice was happy as she spoke to her friend.

Andrew picked up the picture and studied it. A middle aged woman with short dark hair stood in an open field, a World War 2 fighter plane sat just behind her. She wore a white gown with a dark cross on the breast. Her face held many contours and details reminiscent of Karen, who sat across the room preparing her tea. A young boy stood beside the woman in the picture, the right side of his face was bandaged, and his arm was in a sling. A fake smile failed to hide the fear written across the boy's face. She held his left hand and her expression beamed out of the picture with a calm confidence that was remarkable. Andrew thought she looked out of place, her smile too sincere for the destruction he could see in the city that was in the distance behind her.