The Devonshire Brothers

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Not if Revan is already in your grasp." Gideon murmured before asking. "So, did he taste as good as you imagined?"

It was rumored that a vampire's one true mate's blood was the most exquisite blood to ever be tasted. It would taste no different to another vampire but would remain specific to that of its mate. It was also said that no other blood was as satisfying...

"Better. No one else will ever be able to satisfy me now."

"Not even Benjamin?"

"Not even Benjamin."

Silence fell between them as they both watched Quil move restlessly on the bed. The first stage of the change was upon him. He was consumed with a fever that would begin to cleanse away the human frailties. It usually lasted two to three days quickly followed by the purging. His body would evacuate any impurities to his system, any cancers, or wastes. It was a painful process and there was nothing pretty about it. It was a rebirth and no birth was painless.

"Have you changed Revan?" Gideon asked, curious as to the progress Mikael had made.

"No." Mikael answered softly.

"You know the importance of Revan's acceptance." Gideon stated as he turned to face him, censure clear in his voice as his mind filled with future complications. The brother's bond would be the key to securing them both and if Revan wasn't accustomed to his new role then Quil would not fall in line. "You've had more than enough time to convince him of his new role in your life. Have you made any progress at all?"

"It takes time to convince someone to change, Gideon." Mikael's voice held a slight warning as he leveled his gaze with Gideon's. He was being far more understanding of the connection between the brothers than most other vampires would have been and understood the driving urge to claim what you knew in your soul to be yours...but he wasn't about to rush into anything and possibly ruin what progress he had already made."And I have no intention of actually changing him. I like him quite well the way he is; I just want to bend him a little."

Careful not to tread any farther onto thin ice, Gideon murmured honestly. "I'm just worried. There is so much to loose."

Mikael, being one to appreciate honesty, relaxed somewhat at his words yet a chill still remained just below the surface. "The fever should be done on the marrow."

"But he will not accept me without Revan."

"Are you so sure, Gideon?"

"Meaning?"

"Don't tell me you didn't see the way he reacted to your presence upon arrival." Mikael laughed softly, his deep voice seeming to resonate throughout the room. "He recognized you. He may not have completely understood it, but his soul recognized yours. Revan recognized me as well but he has a very strong mind, my mate does."

"But what if its not enough?"

"It will be." Mikael assured him as he reached out to lightly grip his shoulder. "Instincts are heightened in the vampiric state."

"There are so many variables to consider." Gideon murmured apprehensively, tension emanating from his slim figure. "I don't want to make a mistake...I can't loose him. Not when I've just found him."

"I know." Mikael leaned against the opposite side of the door as he silently continued to watch Quil writhe upon the bed. Long minutes passed between them as they both silently considered the course of their futures and the impact of their mates not being there.

It was said that the true goal in a vampire's existence was to find their destined one, and as they both watched Quil, they both knew that there would be no way that either of them could survive without the brothers now. The bond had started almost immediately as they had first laid eyes on their mates and nothing could erase it now. The course had been set from that very moment and there was no changing it.

"Maybe I should try something else with Revan." Mikael suddenly replied aloud as he straightened away from the door.

"What do you mean?" Gideon asked, grateful for the distraction.

"Thus far I've been using Benjamin to help ease him into my life as he should be...but I think I may have pushed a little to hard with his gift." Mikael replied as he scratched his chin distractedly. It was an oddly endearing gesture...one that Gideon had never seen before...nor had he ever thought to see it.

"What gift?" Gideon tried to understand as he turned to face Mikael. Suddenly an image began to play in Gideon's mind. It was the moment Benjamin had his nipples pierced, and Revan discovered that the dream state he was in had been real. The shock and fear on his face was clearly evident before Mikael forced him into sleep. It tore at Gideon's heart to see Quil's brother in that condition which prompted him to ask sharply. "What exactly did you think that would accomplish?"

"I saw the thought in his mind and how he imagined what Benjamin would look like...and I just reacted. I see now the damage of what I have done, and I will fix it." Mikael replied, crossing his arms across his massive chest as he contemplated ways to fix the situation. " I honestly thought he would like it."

Mikael sounded so perturbed that Gideon began to chuckle, earning him an affronted glare from his friend. The glare only added to the his mirth as he fought to hold the full extent of it inside. His shoulders began to shake uncontrollably a second before the dam broke and loud guffaws echoed throughout the room. "I'm sor-" Gideon tried to say between bouts of laughter.

He wasn't sure if it was the stress of the situation catching up to him or if it was a single bout of lunacy, but Gideon could not control the laughter that poured from him.

"Alright, alright. Enough." Mikael commanded irritably as he watched Gideon. "If you're not going to help me then I'll just leave."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." Gideon laughed, wiping blood colored tears from his eyes. "You just looked so....cute!"

"Cute." The disgruntled expression returned in full force, nearly sending Gideon into another storm of chuckles. There was no mistaking the implied impression that Mikael thought he was insane, but Gideon could not think of a better word to describe his friend's odd change in behavior.

"Yes, cute." Gideon replied as an answer to his friend's problem began to circulate in his mind. "And this is how you're going to win him over."

"How?"

Seeing the suspicion on Mikael's face, Gideon was quick to reassure him. "This is not a ploy to get a laugh out of you. This is a really good idea."

A moment of silence then. "Continue."

"Show him how human you are." Gideon replied as he moved into the adjacent room, careful to leave the door of his study open to keep Quil in view. "Show him there is more to you than meets the eye...and take Benjamin out of the equation completely."

"But I'm exactly like the hero in his favorite book. I'm doing everything according to what he likes."

"But its not real. Its a story...a fairytale. Everyone knows that most of what you read in stories isn't actually true." Gideon countered gently as Mikael moved to join him in his study. "You can't be strong and enigmatic all the time. Though you are all those things, you need to be more. So far you've shown him his fantasy...an illusion if you will, of what he thinks is ideal. You need to show him the real things he should want, appeal to that side of him that makes him love."

"What do you mean?" Mikael asked curiously, seating himself across the scarred wooden desk. "I am appealing to him."

"Yes, but we all know fantasies are not real." Gideon stated softly, his molten eyes taking in the room around him. The room was oval in shape, lined from floor to ceiling with more books. These were more to his liking as opposed to the library where Mikael's interests reigned supreme. The floor was of a polished black marble, solid and unmarred. It was a perfect contrast to the buttercup yellow curtains that framed the full length window that dominated the far wall behind him. They seemed almost whimsical among the severe decor, but Gideon himself was quite whimsical as well.

The room sported two chandeliers as its source of light during the night and several small lamps to read by if the chandeliers started to grate on his nerves. It was simple, dark, classic and yet whimsical...just like him.

"Fantasies are just that...fantasies." Gideon answered thoughtfully as he once again focused on Mikael. "You need to show him that you are more than just a passing fancy. Reveal to him the things which make you...human."

"And if that doesn't work?"

"Obviously what you've been doing isn't particularly helping." Gideon laughed softly. "If this doesn't work then we'll try something else...but this will work if its you. Do not include Benjamin."

"I just feel bad for him." Mikael murmured, his eyes distant.

"Yes, but this is supposed to be between you and Revan...not you, Benjamin, and Revan." Gideon stated gently as he thought of young Benjamin. He was but a year or two over a hundred. Rather young by their standards, and he hadn't the smoothest of transitions. Magnus had never been known for his subtlety with his change lings and it had been an even more difficult transition because Benjamin had not wanted it. They had offered him sanctuary after he had been turned. Taught him to hunt, to control his new gifts, and to live as he was entitled...Magnus was not know for his subtlety, but he was more than known for his penchant for making his change lings dependent upon him.

Which made it all the more harder once Magnus tired of them...as he had with Benjamin once he had come to love him. To Magnus the challenge was gone once Benjamin conceded the fight to stay human.

Benjamin had become their student, but whereas he was only Gideon's brother, he became Mikael's lover. Gideon hadn't approved of their relationship at first, but as time passed, Benjamin became more independent; more sure of himself where he was broken before. He became a completely different man, and despite his earlier reservations, Gideon could not fault the results such a liaison created for him.

(I know you want him to feel accepted, Mikael. I do to, but the bond between you and Revan must come first.) Gideon projected softly, sure that Mikael would hear him.

(It does...it has come first.) Mikael argued, shifting his weight slightly in his chair. It was a tell tale give away that indicated that Gideon had struck close to the truth.

(You care for him, as do I, but this time is for you and your mate. Benjamin's turn will come and when it does, he will come to us for advice on how to handle it. I also sincerely doubt that he would include you the way you have included him.) Gideon laughed gently as he silently studied Mikael. There was a definite lessening of tension about him now, but he remained stiff in his seat. (That doesn't mean that you could not include him in future or that he would not include you, but for now, it is a crucial time between you and your mate.)

(Then what do you suggest?) Mikael sounded almost surly in his reply but underneath that he was gradually conceding to Gideon's advice. He knew the truth of his words and despite the general irritation of not being able to solve it on his own, he was willing to listen.

(Talk to Benjamin. Let him know firmly that you will not be needing his services in regards to your mate any longer. Secondly, do not erase those memories from Revan's mind. It will only anger and confuse him more but explain the situation to him and be as truthful as possible.) Gideon paused a second before continuing on, letting Mikael absorb the information presented to him. (And lastly, change the location of his 'seduction' to a room personal to you. Let him see you, smell you, accustom himself to your presence. Let him learn who you are as well...not only what makes you a formidable vampire but what also makes you his mate. Fantasies are wonderful, Mikael, and I find it quite charming that you would pay that much attention to such things but its time for reality to take over. I believe he'll appreciate that more than your initial 'approach.')

Silence ensued between them as Gideon finished his speech. It was a companionable silence almost. No man liked being told how to manage his mate, and that was just humans. Vampires were far more territorial in that regard. It was almost considered a challenge in some ways.

"All right. I'll try what you suggest." Mikael stated numbly, immediately rising from his chair as if he couldn't wait to escape his company fast enough.

"And I'll keep you informed of Quil's progress." Gideon replied, his full lips curving into a smile. "And it wouldn't be such a bad idea to keep Revan informed as well."

But before Mikael could pass through the doorway, he paused to warn. "This had better work, Arden, or what damage is done will come back upon you times three."

The threat echoed within the confines of the room even after his departure, each syllable infused with power as to punch the point home. Gideon had no doubt that Michael would make good on his threat, and he was more than certain that if Michael ever reached that point...Gideon would loose.

Chapter 6

The morning sun streamed through the heavy draperies covering the windows, their bright rays chasing away the darkness that otherwise permeated the room, revealing the hunched over form of Mikael as he watched over his mate. He'd been that way for hours, hunched over in an old armchair, and just watching Revan sleep. He'd been thinking of any way that he could to show Revan that he was indeed capable of being human...a human worthy of his love. And he had absolutely no idea how to do it.

He had made some headway in his plan when he had explained to Benjamin that he no longer needed him to seduce Revan. He was needed elsewhere. It had been a perfect opportunity to send him away for a time, although the situation why he was to be sent was a grave matter indeed.

Five hours earlier

A hesitant knock sounded on Mikael's study door as he silently contemplated the merry flames dancing in the hearth.

"Enter." He murmured distractedly, already knowing that it was Benjamin who resided on the other side.

"You wished to see me." Benjamin stated softly as he walked around Mikael's chair to face him.

Without bothering to look up, Mikael replied. "I will no longer be requiring your assistance with Revan."

Silence met him at the announcement. They remained that way for several minutes before Benjamin finally spoke. "I see."

"Your assistance is needed elsewhere." Mikael stated softly as he picked up the opened letter from his lap. "We will be moving on again in a few days. The location has already been decided. You will be going on ahead to ensure that all is ready for our arrival."

The truth of the matter was that their King had sent word to Mikael ordering them all back home. There was great unrest in the Council and their old enemy, Vlad The Impaler, had returned. Once upon the Council himself, Vlad had been sentenced to death for his assassination attempts upon the previous King, Tristan's very own father, but Vlad's friends on the Council had pleaded for his life. Tristan's father then sentenced him to exile. He was not to set foot upon Carpathian ground for if he did, it would be the equivalent of signing his own death warrant.

"Where will I be going?"

"Our King has requested our presence in the Carpathian Mountains. He wishes to have his allies close to him at this time. We will be setting up a permanent residence there." Mikael replied, slowly rising from his chair to face Benjamin. "There is evidence that Vlad has returned. There is unrest in the Council. He believes a war is about to start."

"But I thought Vlad had been exiled from the mountains long ago?" Benjamin murmured softly as he stroked his lower lip.

"He has allies on the Council. We don't know who, but someone has used a great deal of power to sneak him back in without the enforcers noticing." Mikael stated thoughtfully. The previous Council members had all been resigned with Tristan's succession. He had believed that with a new ruler there needed to be a new Council as well. They weren't strong enough to pull something like that off. They weren't magic users...but most of the new Council was.

"Tristan has chosen a residence for us close to Rose Haven so that we will be in reach at all times." Mikael handed Benjamin the letter with the King's seal upon it. "You will go there to make sure that we do not lose the faith of our King. I can't leave here until Revan is changed...he would be in grave danger if we were to take him there and he was still human. You will relay my message to Tristan and ensure that everything is in place. He has a task for you as well."

"What kind of task?" Benjamin asked as his eyes scanned the letter.

"He did not say. He only asked that you meet with him to discuss it."

"I will leave immediately."

As Benjamin turned to leave, Mikael cleared his throat uncomfortably to get his attention once more. "Is your chest healing?"

Benjamin smiled as he turned to face him once more. "Yes. I even left the jewelry in."

"Good."

"Although...I'll be waiting for the chance to play with you and Revan once more." Benjamin laughed huskily as he turned to leave. He stopped just short of the door and replied cheekily. "Maybe by then Reva will finally be a vampire, and I'll have found a beautiful mate to surpass even you."

Benjamin laughter echoed after his departing back, slightly mocking yet full of warmth. It brought a small smile to Mikael's lips. "Cheeky bastard."

Present

The silence was maddening as Mikael impatiently waited for Revan to awaken. His mate's still form lay almost completely submerged beneath layer upon layer of furs, with only his head peeking out...there was something almost childish in the way he laid curled up in a ball beneath the covers. An endearing quality that Mikael had never noticed before. He knew Revan hated the cold, but he'd never seen his mate sleep in quite the same way before. It made Mikael want to climb beneath the furs and cuddle with him....he'd never had that reaction to anyone before. It was a little unsettling.

Suddenly, Revan moaned and stirred beneath the heavy covers, dislodging them as he tried to get comfortable once more. He shifted about until he finally flung back the covers completely, revealing his naked torso to the sun's illuminating rays. His skin fairly glowed as it was lovingly caressed by the sun. Mikael's fingers fairly itched to touch it, the strong compulsion to touch stirring his powers into action.

It wasn't nearly as good as a real touch, but Mikael's energy reached out and soothed a line down the center of Revan's lean chest before returning upward to stroke his flushed nipples. They immediately hardened, their pointed tips reaching for the sky as if begging for a firmer touch. One that Mikael was all to ready to provide as he arose from the chair to cross to the bed.

(Beautiful.) Mikael thought to himself as he stood over Revan. His power pulled away as he sat beside his mate, soliciting a groan from Revan. He might not consciously want to bottom, but the submission was there just beneath the surface.

Suddenly Revan abruptly changed positions once more, groaning softly as he curled into a fetal position.

(Back hurts.) Mikael smiled slightly as he heard Revan's voice in his mind. Their mental connection was strong now. It would be even stronger with Mikael's blood running through Revan's veins. (Rub back.)

The demand was strong this time, petulantly ringing in Mikael's mind as it forced him into action once more. Rounding to the other side of the bed, Mikael slid beneath the covers until he was almost cuddled behind Revan and reached out to stroke his back. Alternating between deep and firm to light and soothing strokes, he kneaded the tight muscles of his mate's back. Revan's breathy sighs and deep moans drove him on as the muscles began to loosen under his rhythmic touches.