The Empath Cycle: 2001 It Takes One - Book 2

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After that, things were never the same between the two friends. Letters became fewer and further apart until they ceased completely.

When her husband was recruited for a position as head researcher in a specialized institute in St-Jovite, they offered Lucia a position in the adjoining clinic as an inducement.

Being back in her home Province for the first time in years, was a happy/sad experience for Lucia. She re-visited the landmarks of her youth, got re-acquainted with old friends, but things weren't the same. She wasn't the same.

She sat for an hour in the visitor's parking lot of the L-H Lafontaine hospital, but didn't go in. Why reopen old wounds? She didn't need to introduce a perturbing element in her marriage and Claude must have moved on with her life. She must have a partner with whom she was happy. She must... She must...

Three years later, Lucia, recently promoted to the post of Director, was talking with colleagues at a gala evening in honor of the Minister of Health.

Though the St-Jovite Mental Health Clinic and Research Center didn't receive governmental subsidies, it was a good idea to keep in touch with people in the field and networking was part of her new job.

Working the crowd, she came to a group where a man was recounting the story of one of his doctors who had come across a paper by Dr. Hunter Doherty Adams and had presented such a detailed and compelling proposition that he just had to allow her to go to the Gesundheit! Institute, in West Virginia, for a three months training course, then she had the audacity to ask for an extra unpaid month leave of absence to join a group of volunteers who were going to Eastern Europe to teach his techniques.

"Since I knew very well she would have gone whether I liked it or not, I approved her request. In fact, this was the first ever leave of absence I didn't have to fight with her to take. Heck, I owe her enough in vacation and overtime, she would bankrupt my budget should she decide to ask for it. I was glad to pay for the training and the trip overseas. It's the best investment I've made in years. You should see the difference it made in her ward. I only wish I could send more doctors there, but they are too conservative to even entertain such revolutionary ideas. I almost had a mutiny on my hands the first time she did her rounds with a red clown nose."

Others went on to talk about their more eccentric doctors, but none sounded as driven as that woman.

Lucia didn't get her name, but she was uneasy for the rest of the evening.

Curious about the supposedly revolutionary methods of Dr. Adams, Lucia researched him. Surprised and intrigued by what she found, she called her assistant to her office.

"Ali, I recently heard of a new technique, but I can't get credible information about it. Also, it sounds so off the wall that I don't know if I can trust the literature. I want to send someone to West Virginia to get the facts first hand. You know everybody here, so I need you to tell me who I can send and trust to give me an unbiased report."

"What do you mean? Anybody would be happy to go and I'm sure you could trust them to give you the real facts."

"I'm not so certain. Most people are set in their ways, even the younger doctors are brainwashed by the medical establishment, and, from what little I can find, this is ridiculed by the vast majority of the professional community."

"Now you've peaked my curiosity. What can be so controversial about it? Homosexuality has been finally taken off the disease list. Sexual psychotherapy is doing great strides. It must be something about the equality of men and women or between races. Come one, help me here. I can't think of what could be so reviled nowadays."

Lucia laughed. "It's nothing as blatant as all that. In truth, now that I've heard about it I'm surprised nobody thought of it before and I wish I could go myself, but I just don't have the time."

She teased Alison for a while more. She liked the old woman who should have been given the Director's job, in Lucia's opinion, but, as Ali said, she liked to boss everyone around without actually having the responsibilities of the 'big chair'.

When she started to explain, her assistant interrupted.

"If you mean Dr. 'Patch' Adams, the clown doctor, I know of him. Years ago, I met a doctor at a symposium and we got to be friends of a sort. She doesn't socialize much, you see. She works all the time and she's totally devoted to her patients. Well, I heard from a friend who works at her hospital about her recent training trip and the results she's been getting since she came back."

"That's roughly how I heard too. The director of her establishment was talking about it and I got interested. So who do you recommend I send on a fact finding mission?"

"Make it a week-long trip and I have the perfect candidate for you."

"Okay then. A week it is, but the report had better be complete and detailed."

"Perfect. I'll pack my bags and I'll see you two Mondays from now."

"What? You can't go. I need your help here. I'd be swamped in days and the doctors will walk all over me. It'll be chaos and anarchy by the time you get back. And don't think you can pull a fast one on me, missy. Today is Wednesday. One week means I expect you back next Thursday morning."

"That's exactly why you don't need me, Dr. Morgan. Even in a panic, you know what to do and you do it. You're as qualified a doctor as anyone here and it's not your fault if you have more training and experience in management than they do."

"Lucia, please. I asked you to call me Lucia when we're in private. I understand the need for protocol, but we've been friends since I came here and I don't know how I could have survived without you."

"Poor dear, why are you waiting to divorce that bastard? He's making your life miserable."

"Please don't talk like that about him. He's a good man at heart."

"I wouldn't know about that since he doesn't deign speak to peasants like me."

"He's just devoted to his work, you know."

Seeing how the direction their discussion had taken was affecting her boss and friend, Alison got back to the subject of their meeting.

"I will need a few days extra because I intend to stop in Montreal and visit with her to get advance information so I'm better prepared when I arrive at his hospital."

"If you mean you'll spend a few hours with that doctor and the rest of the time with your grand-daughters, I understand and approve."

"That's another reason you'll do fine without me. Nobody can pull the wool over your eyes if you don't let them. Trust yourself and you'll be fine."

"If you say so. Now, scoot. Get back to work."

Laughing, Alison scooted.

Two months later, Lucia shook things up when she made a presentation at the monthly Board meeting.

"Dr. Morgan, we've read the supporting documents you submitted last week and I must say you have presented your point eloquently, but I fail to see the relevance of your request for another doctor on your staff. Though this new technique may have shown some promising results, it does not apply to our particular clientele."

"Mr. Chairman, if you look at page fifty-eight, you will see that doctors and researchers at Boston Children's Hospital have begun to use games at a variety of levels to reach autistic children..."

"Yes, yes, Doctor." He interrupted. "I told you we've read the document. My point is that we are not a children's hospital, neither do we treat autistic patients as a rule. We treat patients with severe psychological trauma."

"I realize this is the foundation of our institute, but it's also a research facility dedicated to healing all manners of patients too difficult or given up on by regular hospitals. Founder Sarah Grisholm's research..."

She was interrupted again by the Chairman. "That is neither here or there, Dr. Morgan. Things have changed in the last fifty years. We have to answer to our patrons and we simply don't have the budget to hire a new doctor. Our personnel is quite sufficient for our needs."

"I beg to differ, sir." Lucia countered. "We do have the budget. There are articles in the institute's endowment for just such endeavors. Dr. Grisholm specifically set up the charter for..."

"Dr. Morgan, I have already told you that there is no room in the budget for this."

"Sir, this is the third time you've interrupted me. Is this the way you conduct the business of the institute? I was lead to believe that civility and good manners were given place of choice here. That has certainly been my experience... so far."

"Young lady..."

"That's Dr. Morgan, sir. I was hired as a doctor for my professional expertise and promoted to Director for the same reason..."

"Oh shut up woman and let your betters speak." Said a loud angry voice from the side of the conference room to the shock of the entire assembly who turned as one toward its source.

The man was glaring at Lucia who cringed. 'Oh no!' She thought. 'I forgot him. What is he doing here anyway?'

"Dr. Mattheson, you are out of order for one and have no voice in these proceedings for another. You are only here at the request of the Director of the Research Department, though I don't know why since the matter has already been debated in previous meetings and has been tabled until such a time as the equipment you requested is perfected."

"That's why I'm here and I don't see why I have to listen to such drivel when there's a more important subject to be discussed." He shook off his boss' hand from his arm.

"Sir, I don't know what gave you the idea that you could barge in these proceedings and talk to us in this disrespectful tone. You are excused, Doctor."

"What? You can't do that to me? You're only a bunch of accountants. What do you know of science? I need that equipment."

"Dr. Craig, control your employee. Dr. Mattheson, you will leave these premises at once. One way or another."

It took two men getting to their feet and advancing threateningly to convince the man to make himself scarce which he did in a huff, slamming the door behind him.

Once they were all back in their seats, the Chairman sat with his elbows on the table, his head in his hands, until the angry buzz of voices died down. Taking a deep calming breath, he raised his head and looked at Lucia.

"Dr. Morgan, I must confess that I was afraid of just such a confrontation. I could see him fidgeting in his chair, priming himself up and I dreaded his actions. I'm afraid I took my anxiety out on you. For that you have my sincerest apologies. You were right to call me on it. I know better. Or I should, at my age."

"I understand, sir. Apologies accepted. Now, back to my proposal..."

She stopped when the Chairman raised his hand with a smile.

"You were perfectly right in your arguments, Doctor. I see you were exactly the right choice for this job if you went so far as to read the Founding Charter to support your presentation."

"Oh, I read it years ago. I only went back to it last month to refresh my memory. When I first came here, I heard stories, some of them so farfetched that I read the Public Archives to make sense of them. Then, I read the charter hoping it would clarify some of the more obscure aspects of the founders' story. It didn't, but I was impressed by many provisions in it. Now that I've had access to the Secret Archives, I understand the basis for the institute better. Still, there are some unanswered questions."

"Yes, the Secret Archives were created by Dr. Grisholm to guide the Senior Therapists and Directors to follow through on some of her most esoteric research. I hope you've been warned not to mention their content to your husband. Brilliant researcher though he may be, it was not meant for him."

"I have, sir."

"Good. As to your unanswered questions, I'm sure we can arrange something with the Family Archivist." He looked questioningly around the table and received enthusiastic nods. "Would it surprise you to know that you're the first Director of the Clinic, or of the Research Department for that matter..." He turned to Dr. Craig who grinned sheepishly. "Who has read either the Public Archives or the Founding Charter as far as I know?"

"It would, sir. How could I do my job properly if I didn't understand the underpinning of the institute? This is a small private operation with a fairly specific mission, not a large public or university hospital."

"I'm sure I speak for the entire Board when I congratulate you on your dedication and professionalism. Now, back to your project. I personally would like a first-hand account on this technique. Do I understand correctly that there is a doctor in the city who has some training in it? Or do we need to fly one in from West Virginia?"

"There is one, sir. I'm sure she would be happy to explain it to you."

"Okay, then. Please invite her to come here next month if she can. If not, we'll make some other arrangement. What's her name? Where does she work?"

Lucia shuffled her papers, trying to gain some time while she tried to come up with an answer. That was the one thing she didn't know. It hadn't seemed important, or so she told herself, strangely reluctant to ask for it.

"I... Hum..." She stammered. "I don't know, sir."

"You don't?"

"Well, you see, sir, when I first heard of her, her name was not mentioned, neither was her establishment, then my assistant knew her and she's the one who spoke to her. She didn't mention either in her report and I didn't ask. I didn't think it was relevant. I'm sorry."

"It doesn't matter for now really. Ask Ali to get in touch with her and let us know if she agrees to meet us."

"Yes sir. I'll take care of it."

"If we're finished with your department, we can move to the next item on the agenda."

"Hiya, kiddo." Alison immediately recognized the voice at the other end of the line.

"Hey, big sis. How's life treating you these days?" She asked her older sister, Béatrice.

"Fine, fine. I was really calling to ask how she is today."

She didn't have to specify who she meant. Ali had shared her worries with her long ago.

"She said she was fine, but she was favoring her left side this morning. She said she tripped getting out of the bath. You know how clumsy she is."

Neither woman was fooled by Lucia's explanation. Nor by her self-deprecatory comments. They knew a battered woman when they saw one. The law being what it was, they couldn't do anything until Lucia herself asked for help. Even then, it would be an uphill battle.

"Yeah. Did she ask you for the name of a doctor in Montreal?"

"No. Why?"

"I was afraid of that. The bastard was at the Board meeting. He caused a scene and was almost thrown out manu militari. He didn't take it well and I suspect he took it out on her. He was also probably jealous that her project has every chance to be approved and his has already been rejected."

"Oh no! She was so enthusiastic about it. She worked hard at her presentation since I returned from the States."

"I know. Now I'm afraid she'll let it slide."

"Do you think the bastard would...?"

"I'm sure he already did. So, we're going to have to do it for her. I want you to call that doctor and arrange for her to meet the Board. Ask her to come over any evening next week and I'll make sure everybody is there."

"Should I tell her?"

"Don't. If you do, I'm afraid she'll find a way to sabotage her own project."

"Fucking bastard! Maybe he should have an accident. He could break his neck falling down the stairs. It happens, you know."

"Please, Ali. Stop talking like that, even as a joke. Should something really happen, you'd be a suspect and I don't want you to get hurt for something you didn't do. Someday, he'll go too far and we'll be able to move then."

"All right, but I can dream, can't I?"

"Yes you can. Only keep it to yourself. Please, little sister. Do this for me, and her. She needs you by her side, not in prison."

"Okay. I'll behave. I'll call the doctor this afternoon."

"Good. Are you coming over for supper Saturday? The boys will be there."

"I wouldn't miss a visit with my favorite nephew and his gorgeous partner for the world. Why oh why are the good ones either married or gay?"

The sisters laughed together for a few minutes before Alison had to get back to work.

"So you see, doctor, we need you to come explain Dr. Adams' methodology from the point of view of someone who has personal experience with it. It's more of a formality than anything else. You will be preaching to the choir. My report on my trip to West Virginia and the presentation our Director made impressed them, but the members of the Board need this to justify the approbation to themselves. You know how it is."

The woman laughed. "Indeed, I do. I know the hoops you have to jump through to get anything done when it's out of the ordinary."

"Good. The Board will make itself available to hear you any evening of next week. It's up to you."

"That's sure unusual. They must really be interested."

"We all are. This is mostly a research institute and we are always looking to add a new weapon to our arsenal in the fight for mental health."

"I know your institute. When we first met, I didn't make the connection, but when you came over a couple of months ago, it clicked. Would it be possible for me to meet the Board sometime over the week-end? That way I could visit my family while I'm there."

"I'm sure something could be arranged. I've lived here all my life. Maybe I know your family."

"How is your rose garden, Miss Alison?"

"It's in full bloom right now. Thanks for asking, but how do you know about it?"

"Do you remember the tall skinny kid who helped Mr. Lemaire, the gardener who serviced the whole compound? I was the one who ripped out the row of peonies under your bedroom window after he convinced you to replace them with rose bushes so you would enjoy their fragrance longer."

"I do now. And I also recall that you took entirely too much pleasure in the destruction of my beautiful flower bed."

"It was worth it, though."

"Yes it was. He got me hooked with those first bushes and now I have a dozen different varieties. People come from all over the region to admire my rose garden."

"Good for you, Miss Alison. Maybe you can show it to me while I'm there."

"It would be my pleasure. I'll get back to you to confirm the time for the meeting."

"Thank you for your time, doctor. You've confirmed the information we already had. We already knew that this technique is showing results in a category of patients and showing great promise for many more, including those we treat here."

"Yes, sir. I've been working at expanding its application myself, but I'm unable to get the resources to do it in any significant way, so I must confine myself to my own patients when I know I could help more."