The Friend Zone

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You said something about a hotel room?" Barbara said.

Josh's heart stopped beating and he died, right then and there. No paramedic would be able to save him. He was gone, history, a blurb in the great scroll of humanity.

"Wha? I'm sorry, did you say something?" was the best he could do.

"Josh, you had mentioned maybe getting a hotel room. Did you? I think I'd like to stop by for a rest."

Josh was still in cardiac arrest and could only stare and nod. He finally regained some life and said, rather weakly, "No, I never dreamed.....I....No, I didn't get a room. I..."

Barbara cut him off with that disarming smile of hers. She took Josh's hands in hers and said, "It's for the best. Look, you've done so much just listening to me, as you've always done. I thank you." She got up from the booth and waited for Josh to rise as well. When he did, they walked to the parking lot together and when they got to Barbara's car, she hugged Josh and kissed him. There was no passion, just love. She got in her car and as Josh headed for his, he watched her drive off wondering if he had done something very stupid, or noble.

When Josh got home, Mary Jane was sitting at the kitchen table. She had gotten out of work a little early and couldn't wait to get home and start dinner for her hubby. Oh, there were times she hated him, but more often than not, he was her husband and she loved him all encompassing. When he walked in, she looked up and said, "My dearest, how was your day? You're a tad early aren't you?"

Josh sat down across from her, his entire body ached from frustration and guilt. He had an opportunity and yet, he couldn't just run with it. He wanted to tell her where he had been and yet feared telling her would bring about her wrath and what a wrath it could be. Mary Jane sensed something was wrong and took his hand, just as Barbara had earlier.

"What's wrong? You seem more tense than normal?" she asked.

Josh sat staring straight ahead at nothing. His gaze would touch on her, on the floor and on the refrigerator (he was hungry, even after such a wonderful lunch) but each eye movement was brief and he'd always end up looking straight ahead at nothing in particular.

Mary Jane was no fool and knew damn well her husband was troubled deeply by SOMETHING and she couldn't guess what it might be. She pressed the issue.

"What is it?" she almost begged, "Please, I'm your wife, you can tell me anything."

Josh knew that was a crock, she was a powder keg but he also knew she did love him, kind of. He went to the cabinet and took out the whiskey. He poured himself a triple and sat back down. Then, in spite of the inner conflict, he began.

"Mary Jane, I went and had lunch with someone today."

"Ok, and who was that?"

"Well, my friend Barbara. She needed to talk and I've always been her best listener."

"Uh huh...and?"

Josh took a gulp of the whiskey. The rye he enjoyed was smooth, but right now, it burned. He turned the glass in his hand and looked up at his wife and said, "Well, we almost had a moment. But NOTHING happened. I swear to God. I just listened as she told me about her marriage troubles. We hugged and she kissed me as she left, but that was it. It could maybe have gone further, but it didn't. Neither of us would allow it." He told a slight lie there. HE had stopped the action, not Barbara, but to reveal too much would be suicidal and he still wanted Barbara as a friend. It had been way too long.

Mary Jane simply looked at him. Then she took the glass from his hand and gulped down what was left. It was Mary Jane who went for the bottle. She brought it back, poured in more liquor, sipped a bit and then looked straight into Josh's eyes. Josh feared the worst.

"So, I'm glad you told me. I don't want lies. That's not what a good marriage is built on."

Josh nodded and took the glass back, sipping himself.

"What I want to know is," Mary Jane continued, taking the glass once more from Josh and pausing for a sip. She then continued, "Did you WANT to?"

Josh was feeling like he was dying again. How many times in one day can a guy die before he really dies?

"Well, you know I've known Barbara for many years and we're close but you also know how much I adore you."

"I asked if you wanted to; simple question." She had a very cold look in her eyes that Josh was trying to interpret. He felt he should just get all his cards on the table. If things went 'south' so be it at this point.

"Yes, I did. But I didn't," he responded with a passive aggressive attitude. 'There, that's the truth. What are YOU going to do about it?'

Mary Jane took the glass back, poured a little more Canadian whiskey in, sipped and said, "But you didn't."

"No. I didn't. I thought of you and how much I love you."

"Will you ever see her again?"

"I might, but again, as a friend," Josh was getting uncomfortable to the maximum limits before running screaming into traffic.

"She made you an offer. Was it a legitimate offer?" asked Mary Jane.

"I believe so. But I said 'NO'!" Josh replied. He took the glass and emptied it.

"I love you, you know that, right?" asked Mary Jane.

"Yes, of course and I love you, too," replied Josh, pouring more whiskey. He thought as he did, "this is getting low. I wish we had another bottle."

Mary Jane looked deeply into his eyes and said, "Would you leave me for her?"

"No, I wouldn't. You're my wife and we've made a decent life together. I can't just up and leave you." He said 'decent' because honestly, it was FAR from perfect and she was out of her mind, so, he just enjoyed what happiness he did have with her. Plus, he would never want to hurt her.

"So, you were tempted but passed. That's good." Mary Jane sipped again. Then she added, "This woman, Barbara is someone you've pretty much carried the torch for, for YEARS and you passed for my sake."

"Yeah. I just couldn't."

"Hmmm," Mary Jane hesitated and then, putting the glass down asked abruptly, "ARE YOU NUTS?"

Josh didn't hear her at first. His mind made him deaf but when he did suddenly hear her words, his gaze shot up at her.

"You had a shot at a woman you've pined for, for DECADES and you turned her down?" She added, "I'm honored and I'm thrilled that you'd stay with me, but DECADES?!?!?"

Josh nearly did a spit take, but luckily he had swallowed the whiskey just prior to her declaration. He did choke slightly however.

"I, I....." Josh couldn't get any rational thoughts out.

"Josh, I do love you. Maybe I get a bit jealous now and then, but you've wanted to be with her for so long it's unreal. So long as I know you'll come home to me, I could deal with you sleeping with her."

Josh wished he was wearing an adult diaper. When you die, your body shuts down and you expel waste, or so he had been told. He was now fully dead and in heaven and yet, couldn't fully appreciate it. Numbness was overwhelming him.

"Honey, I don't know what to say," thus spoke Josh stating the most honest and sincere statement he had ever made in his life.

Mary Jane convinced him to call Barbara and make another lunch date. Josh was confused, elated and bewildered, which he knew was a synonym of confused, but he was so out of it at this point, he didn't care.

Barbara picked up on the third ring.

"Lunch, tomorrow, anywhere you say."

Barbara was silent for a moment and then said, "And this is who?"

"Josh. I'm sorry. It's Josh. I want to have lunch again, a LONG lunch. Hell, we can get take out and go somewhere private and talk more. Anywhere, you name it."

Barbara thought for a moment, unsure what was going on, but agreed and she recommended a place near her work. Josh agreed and that night, he and Mary Jane slept very well....

After some very hot sex!

Josh was hard and Mary Jane could clearly see it. Even though it had been her that had cock-blocked Josh for weeks on end, she would occasionally get as horny as he often was and in seeing his boner, she became horny. She scurried into the bedroom just before him and stripped down to nothing by her birthday suit.

As Josh entered, he saw her lying on the bed, totally nude. He stopped and asked, "You and ME?"

She grinned and nodded. Josh was naked in 3 seconds. He had a tough time with his socks, too tight, and that delayed his nudity. He jumped on the bed, and then jumped on Mary Jane. He kissed her neck and shoulders, back to her neck and up to her ears. He would alternate between the left side and the right side and Mary Jane seemed to appreciate his fairness. She tasted so good to him, as she always had.

His hands were busy on her ample bosom and the feel of his rock hard member against her skin was, as it always had been, an amazing turn on. She grasped him as she kissed and tasted and simply fondled him, not wanting him to climax too soon.

Josh pressed his body against his spectacular wife and let his mouth sample ever inch of her and he made his way down her torso until he got to her hips. He kissed back and forth, never really approaching her mound. He wanted her to build to that point where his very touch might send her over the moon. He could sense it. Mary Jane's body always betrayed her status when it came to cuming. Not one to be able to hide her physically sexual apex, she would tense, shiver and shudder so much that, when they first became sexually active, Josh feared she was having a seizure. She wasn't and he grew to appreciate her physicality. An occasional squirter, Josh knew when Mary Jane was legitimately pleased and when she might be faking it. Yes, he knew 'might' was a factor.

He inserted himself into the deep wet chasm between her legs and began to thrust himself forward as far as his member could get, withdrawing and thrusting over and over again. He held out as long as he could and he could sense Mary Jane gritting her teeth as he slowed the pace long enough for her to climax first. When she did, he knew it. Sometimes he would roll off of her and help her along manually after he came, but other times, like now, it was obvious that she was DONE! He finished immediately after and it was spectacular.

Breakfast the next morning was far from typical. Mary Jane had made him a wonderful breakfast and even rubbed his shoulders as he ate, kissing his ears now and then. Very little was said between them. Just before he was ready to leave, Mary Jane said, "So, today you have another lunch? You're not going to ruin this one, are you?"

Josh had an astonished look on his face which Mary Jane picked up on and she added, "You just do what you have to do. When you get home, I want details and maybe a repeat of last night, if you're up to it." With that, she gave him a wink and off he went.

Josh had a whole morning to kill. He worked evenings, though he felt he might be calling in sick again, he went back to the beach and relived the moments from the day before. Yup, he called in sick. His supervisor sounded skeptical, but Josh made it clear that he RARELY called in and he didn't need to explain, pure and simple.

When lunch time came, he met Barbara at the predetermined location and went in for a lovely meal; maybe not as lovely as the day before.

They chatted and then Josh simply made his statement, "I want to go to bed with you. I've always dreamed of it and have regretted yesterday like you cannot imagine."

It was so sudden and so abrupt that Barbara didn't know what to say. She sat gaping at Josh for a few days and then said, "I'm not sure if..."


Josh cut her off, "I have to. You have no idea how much I have to do this. I've lusted for you, adored you since we were kids. You opened the door yesterday and instead of pushing it closed, like yesterday, I'm FLINGING it open today, charging in and making myself at home!"

He suddenly panicked and added, "If you'll let me, of course."

Barbara sat staring blankly. Yesterday he balked. Today, he's charging ahead with such determination that a concrete wall couldn't stop him, "and yet, I'm not sure if I can today." The thought was stuck in her mind as she simply smiled and let the color drain from her face.

Then she stood up, grateful they hadn't ordered, threw $20 on the table (way more than was necessary), grabbed Josh's hand and essentially dragged him to her car. They go in and immediately began an intense make-out session.

The kissing was passionate and hurried, as if they were trying to make up for lost time. Josh actually was. Suddenly, Barbara stopped him and shuffled back a bit in the seat. She took a deep breath and held Josh's hands. Josh had a look on his face like a hurt puppy but Barbara had to ask, "What about Mary Jane? You say you're sure about this and frankly I've never seen you more sure about anything, but you will no doubt regret this."

"You won't believe me, but here goes," Josh squeezed her hands, stared deeply into her eyes and explained the conversation he and Mary Jane had the night before. He swore it was all true but Barbara was skeptical of course. He sensed her doubt and said, "No, I'm absolutely serious. No one was more shocked than I was. I really do have her blessing."

Barbara sat looking at him, then around the parking lot mulling over this revelation. Should she believe him? He'd never lied to her before, that she was aware of anyway, why now. He's always been stand-offish, why would he suddenly become so interested, or at least express his interest?

"This is not the place for this but we can't go to my house. A cheap motel?"

"I could live with that but I'm broke."

Barbara said she was broke, too. They headed to the reservoir like when they were kids. What the hell. They just both agreed that they couldn't get TOO busy there.

Once the car was parked in a nice spot out of the limelight next to the fence which surrounded the water, they went for each other, kissing deeply and holding each other tightly. Josh's mind was in a total fog. His thoughts were almost non-existent but he focused all his mind power on how soft her lips were and how beautiful she smelled. Her tongue was darting around his mouth and his explored hers. Suddenly her hand plunged from holding his back to between his legs. He spread them but knew under the circumstances he would have to leave his pants on. Barbara rubbed his crotch and his thighs and could feel him grow in spite of the restraints of his pants.


Josh's breathing was becoming shallow and quick. He leaned into her neck and began to nuzzle her with his face, kissing her neck as he did. She smelled of lavender. He had never really liked lavender but now it was the most heavenly scent in the world.

"We have to go somewhere else. We have to get naked," groaned Barbara.

"Or at the least, plan another visit and plan better," replied a breathless groaning Josh.

With that, there was a knock on the window and both nearly had heart attacks. There was a water department employee standing outside the car with an impatient look on his face. Barbara rolled down the window with a very sheepish look on her face.

"Miss," he began, "This is a no trespassing area and although I'm not one to stand in the way of true love, or even pure lust, ya gotta go." Then he added, "Or get REALLY into it and make this inconvenience to my schedule really worthwhile."

Josh was beside himself with embarrassment but Barbara was on the verge of rage at that last comment. She shot a look at the water department guy and started to say something. Then she caught herself and in a flash of madness, lifted her shirt revealing her breasts, though they did still have the bra concealing a large portion. The water guy's face went blank but his eyes widened.

"There, I made your day," growled Barbara and she put the car in drive and left.

Josh was aghast but started to laugh as they pulled out of the reservoir property. He laughed so hard tears began to stream down his face and he couldn't breathe.

Barbara at first was still filled with anger and yet, as she listened to Josh, she too began to laugh. She pulled over to the side of the road and the two of them laughed for about ten minutes. They'd no sooner stop and calm down and one would start again.

"Did you see the LOOK on his face?" Said Josh, "You either made his day or totally mind-fucked him."

"I think BOTH!" she replied which set them off again.

Finally, they HAD to go somewhere. Josh had called in sick again and Barbara had called work saying there was a minor crisis at home that needed some attention.

Reminding Josh that Mary Jane had given the OK, she suggested just going to a motel and using his card. "So, she sees the statement, it was HER idea." Then she paused, "Unless that was a crock of shit you handed me."

"It wasn't, and you're right. There's a place on Rte. 22 that looks kinda clean, it's only about a 10 minute ride. Let's go there."

And they did.

When they arrived, Josh went to the office to check in. The clerk, a woman in her early 70s probably gave no thought to a guy from the neighboring town checking in without luggage. She had seen it all before and it meant nothing to her anymore. Josh was nervous and felt judged and started to make up some kind of story but when he got a look of total apathy from the woman, he shut up and finished the transaction.

Josh and Barbara went to room 21 on the second floor and entered. It was clean enough and very up to date for 1980. Too bad it was 2016. Hell, it's not like they were going to live there, just screw and dash.

"I just thought about something," said Josh, "not to be a downer, but, what about Stan?"

"Who?" she asked seemingly sincere that for a moment she totally forgot about her husband. "Oh, yeah, whatever. Take off your clothes."

Josh stripped faster than a roadrunner could run. Barbara took her time, to some degree. When Josh went to help, she brushed him off. "No, no, get on the bed!"

Josh did as he was told and waited until she was nude, then she jumped on him. They kissed passionately again and held each other tightly. Barbara got up and positioned herself over Josh's pelvis and essentially shoved his throbbing cock into her, so much for foreplay.

Josh thrust himself upwards from the bed and Barbara, resting her palms on his chest, bounced up and down. They managed to get a nice rhythm going together which lasted all of 3 minutes before Josh could feel himself ready to explode.

"I'M GONNA CUM! SHOULD I PULL OUT?"

"No, no, my tubes were tied years ago, just keep going," she bellowed.

The bucking and grinding was at its peak with both let out a loud groan that shook the walls. Barbara rolled off Josh and lay beside him and began to feverishly rub herself. Josh looked over and asked, "Didn't I get you off?"

"It was awesome, but I'm not 100% there yet. Lick my titties, help me finish."

Josh did as instructed and began to lick furiously.

"No, slow down, gentle, well, not THAT gentle, just, oh oh oh oh...."

Barbara came and came hard. Her body became so rigid and her groans so long and drawn out it almost scared Josh. Then, she simply went totally limp. They lay there on the bed processing what had happened and then Barbara asked, "So, did your wife actually encourage this? You're not screwing with me are you?"

"I swear it. I can't say if she'd sanction a second time, but..." his voice simply trailed off. He didn't want to speak; he just wanted to enjoy the moment.

After a bit, they got up and got dressed. They both suddenly realized that Josh's car was still back at the restaurant and they both realized they were starving.

"Do you think they'll let us back in?" asked Barbara.

"You threw down a twenty for one cup of coffee and a seltzer and we occupied the table all of 8 minutes. I'm sure they'll be glad to see us come back and repeat our visit," stated Josh.

They went back and were greeted by the hostess who gave them a knowing grin saying, "So, we more hungry now?" Barbara and Josh blushed and grinned and simply grunted.