The Loving Wife

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She had Mike cremated, and held a small funeral service. It was mostly family members and a few of MIke's work associates. Her neighbors, Rick and Kim stopped by. They all tried to comfort her, but she was struggling with the guilt of taking her husband's life. She had many lonely days and thoughts of committing suicide herself in the months that followed, but she had done what she did for her children, and their unconditional love pulled her through that dark period.

Mike had a life insurance policy at work that paid out enough money to keep them going for several months. She was surprised that it paid out, since the death was ruled a suicide, but she found out that some policies do if the insured has held them long enough.

The money wasn't much, but she wanted to be out of the house she shared with Mike. She put it on the market and found a three bedroom condo that she liked. The house sold in less than two months and she was able to buy the condo.

Her job search got her into an accounting firm as an accounting clerk. She performed well, and was given a quick promotion to junior accountant, as the firm realized she had the kind of skills that made her likely to move on if they didn't.

Once she had her career in order, she focused on her children. She was worried about the emotional damage losing their father had caused, and got them into family counselling. The counselor worked with all of them and the kids seemed to be adjusting well. She realized in the process that Mike's lack of attention to the kids, and their fear of his outbursts probably made the transition to life without him easier for them.

That only left her, and her own private guilt, to be resolved. In hindsight, she realized that she had handled the relationship with MIke badly from the beginning. His obsession with her was not healthy, and she should have sought help for them as soon as he became abusive. By keeping everything secret she made both the situation, and getting out of it, worse.

If she had it to do over again, she would just take the kids and leave. There was risk with that, of course, but she had taken enormous risks with what she had done, too. Most women who walk away from abusive relationships end up okay in the end.

Mary pushed the maudlin memories of her mistakes away and turned to Steve. She wasn't sure she deserved him, given her history, but she was doing her best to convince herself that she did.

"I think I love you." she told him.

He smiled and kissed her. "I know I love you." he replied.