The Mission of the Heart Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"By the orders of the Agency?" I asked in confusion. "Who contacted you specifically?"

"By a woman named Carrie," he replied without hesitation. I growled, feeling my blood boil. What is that woman not telling me? Without haste, I walked towards the Chinook helicopter, feeling the helicopter behind us lift off. My body shook from its unpreparedness from this cold environment.

"We will talk inside!" I shouted, turning my head as we walked forth. "But for now, we must leave to...wherever our destination is at."

-------------------

The Boeing CH-47 Chinook is a feast for us agents: big enough to carry many weapons and ammos, on-ground transportation, gears, and, of course, many agents. The Agency modified it, made it more bigger than common ones. It was a whole new, spacious world inside, that can fit as many as seven cars in the anterior. It must've been very expensive, but anything is possible with the Agency.

Once inside, a medical doctor cleanly sewed me up.

"So early in the mission, yet you got yourself hurt?" the motherly doctor said in a british accent.

"I can't control the guys shooting at me," I replied, getting off from the table. "This won't affect me in any way, will it?"

"No I hardly doubt it would," she replied, her wise green eyes looking knowingly at me. "Just a little wound, but I am sure your pain threshold is quite...high, given your past history."

I froze.

"I should go back, thank you, Doctor Philips." With that, I walked forward, near the cockpit where most of the agents were. The bulky agent, with the person in his arms, walked towards me, and nodded as we passed each other. Frowning, my curiosity peaked on who this person was, with nine heavily guarded men and women around them. Must be one important son-of-a-bitch, I thought to myself. But sooner or later, I will find out who you are and why I'm risking my life over you.

In parallel, the agents sat patiently as the engine roared. I didn't know that the copter already ascended in the air, until I looked out from the window.

"Seventy-six?"

Agent forty-nine, without his mask, stood up and walked towards me with a big bag over his shoulder. I smiled faintly, as his face reminded me of a young Samuel Jackson. He grabbed the black duffel bag and threw it at me, which I caught with grace.

"Gear up," he said, "all weapons are in that room at the right. All the gadgets that you need are in that bag too."

I nodded, and walked to the room labeled as the restroom. As I switched on the light, I looked at myself in the mirror: my brown and blue eyes, that hard white face, and my brown highlighted short hair. Shaking my head, I began to undress.

"Just what did I get myself into?" I muttered to myself.

-----------------

"Alright, agents of the Agency," I bellowed with my mask and full gear on. I stood before then, tall and proud, as a leader. It felt great to feel the weight of my weapons. Their eyes burned through me, as they waited for me to continue.

"In less than twenty-four hours, I assisted two fortunate agents right after I finished my mission. We have been shot at, and chased at, yet I do not know the full story of this mission. Your mission, which, apparently, became mine as well. Agent forty-nine, please brief us."

Clearing his throat, he stood up from where he sat, his muscled body under the white and gray camouflage hardened. The only visible things were his eyes, and above it were his night goggles. "Our mission is simple, yet at the same time complex, depending on how you view it. We relocate a significant person of interest, which is a high profile priority to the Agency. We relocate them somewhere safe, and isolated. If you are wondering why it's so white and gloomy outside, then this I tell you: welcome to the wilds of Canada. I hope you don't mind the cold."

Most of the agents chuckled.

"We guard this person with our life. No matter what, no harm, not a single plucked from their head without consent, is to be done."

"What was the reason for the relocation?" I asked impatiently.

"We don't know," he replied. "But I assume that they are in danger. This is not our first relocation assignment, but commonly the reason for such thing is protection. Either from a mob husband, a mob wife, a famous world criminal, and whatnot."

I nodded. "And I see we are well equip. For how long will this person need our protection?"

"As long as they need."

"Alright, let's discuss equipments. The blueprint of the building we are staying. Your profiles. Any-"

"The person of interest is awake," agent forty-nine suddenly said. "They're behind you. And, well..." he whistled. I growled, arms crossed on my chest.

"Best you give the warm, welcome message extravaganza," I grumbled to him, not giving the effort to turn around. "We will land soon, and I want to talk to the agents before we do. Please do not scare them. Go."

He nodded, and walked past me.

"As I said, I want the blueprint of the building or house we will be staying. The map of the whole area also. Any transportation out there?"

"Snowmobiles, at least five with equipped weaponry attached. And three rally fighters, tires appropriate to such Canadian roads."

"Any towns nearby?"

"No," one of the agents answered. "We are too far from any towns and cities. That's why we are carrying as much cargo as we can. Including food and water."

"Is the building habitable? Will it have heat, for both our sakes?"

"Yes, complete electricity, heaters, everything. But no fireplace. The smoke might give us away."

"Right, well let's-"

I felt a small hand on top of my shoulder. I was about to turn around, until I heard the person behind me talk.

"Thank you," a familiar feminine voice behind me suddenly said. "Whoever you are, thank you. I might've not made it through the night without you and your agents. I'm sorry, but this agent beside me did not give out your name. What is it, agent-?"

Cautiously, I turned my head, and goosebumps rose from my skin as a saw a ghost from my past. Those green eyes, light brown hair, those kissable lips, and that oval, perfect face. It was her.

It was Charlie Carlson yet again. Her body was covered with a long, bulky coat, her face tired, hair messy. She was bundled up. At the corner of my eye, I saw agent forty-nine by my side. Immediately, I pushed him against the wall, my hand on his chest. I looked up to him with urgency.

"Did you tell her my name? My number?" I hissed.

He shook his head, and patiently said," no. She did not give me the chance to do so. Why?"

I took a step back as anger rose from within.

"Tell everyone else, no, that I order them not to give out my name to her, or any, and I repeat, a-n-y information about the famous agent seventy-six. Do you understand, agent forty-nine?"

He nodded obediently, then walked away like nothing happened. I turned around again, and saw her standing awkwardly in front of the agents, who were talking among themselves. Carrie, I thought angrily to myself, you have got some nerves to do this to me. Behind her staggered the male agent. He waved at me, and put his hand at the back of Charlie's, guiding her to sit. They both did, next to agent forty-nine, whose eyes looked curiously at mine. I walked back in front of them, my confidence slightly lower than before now that I knew who this "person-of-interest" was to the Agency.

I cleared my throat, hoping my voice did not give myself away. Just to make sure, perhaps I can make it a little lower.

"Now then," I said lowly," just stay put. Any more information will be discussed later. Soon enough, this copter should land without any problems. Any questions?" I looked around my fellow men and women, but no one asked. As soon as my eyes landed on Charlie, hers sparked through mine like lightning. It was hard for me to pull my gaze away.

"Be ready for anything," I warned, as I walked back towards the backroom. As soon as she wasn't in sight, I put my back against the wall and sighed. Doctor Philips looked questionably at me, but I ignored her. I can do this, I thought to myself. She doesn't need to know I'm here. I can do this. Perhaps it's for the best.

--------------------

I felt the copter descending forty-five minutes later, with a bit of turbulence here and there. It was snowing hard outside as soon as I looked out from the window. Everything was white. Every agent was packing, getting all the supplies that we needed into the snowmobiles and cars. I grabbed a couple of extra ammo for myself, a few smoke bombs and grenades also didn't hurt. From the looks of it, it was if we were deployed for war with all the heavy ammos and gear. Is this what every relocation assignment was like? Or is it just because of Charlie?

"If you are wondering," agent forty-nine suddenly said behind me," this is no ordinary assignment. We don't know who that woman is, but she takes protection to a whole new level, because we only had three guys in every relocation assignment we had, with maybe a quarter of the equipment here."

"Damn," I muttered, crossing my arms in front, my eyes looking at the lonely woman chatting to the male agent beside her. "I really intend on finding out what makes her important."

The copter rocked.

"Everyone! Get on the snowmobiles! The girl will be in one of the rally fighters, while two trucks will be loaded with the supplies we need. Everyone else, get on the snowmobiles!"

I saw Charlie being loaded into the rally fighter with two men, one was with the male agent from before. Once the back opened, I unconsciously made sure my two SC pistols were on each sides of my hips. I grabbed my SC-20K from my back, and welcomed its familiar presence into my arms. The sky was grey and the moon was nowhere to be seen. I sat behind an agent operating a snowmobile next to the truck. As soon as I was about to put my night goggles on, I made contact with Charlie once again. She looked curiously at me, then let her head rest on the agent's shoulder tiredly. Swiftly, I put the night goggles on, as we ventured through the snow. Coldness crept through my body. Then another unknown coldness crept through too.

-----------------------

Perhaps twenty minutes later, we stumbled into a medium sized, two-story cabin. Woods surrounded it, and I was surprised we haven't encountered any animals yet. Two men and I went inside first, making sure no one occupied it or any traps were placed. I held my SC-20K up, then slowly put it down.

"Scan the place up," I muttered," make sure there are no bugs or cameras. Go."

As he scurried away, I whistled, more men went in. Regardless of the coldness, the place was decorated and had numerous furniture. "Agent forty-nine," I muttered, putting my hand on his shoulder. "Grab two more men, and get the remaining supplies from the copter. Go."

Charlie, and the male agent stepped in, gun in hand. She looked around, unsure of what to do.

"Get some heat in here," I ordered the men. "I assume that the electricity here is limited, so please use it with care. You, you, and you, circle the premises. You,"I pointed to the male agent," and Charlie, and your partner will stay here. I will also circle the premises." With that, I scurried my way out.

Minutes later, the agents and I covered ground fully, making sure that nothing will get passed us. One of the agents put up thermocameras everywhere, while others camouflaged the snowmobiles. Agent forty-nine came with the second batches of supplies, then camouflaged the rally fighters as well. I ordered five men to stand guard outside, while four remained inside. I was the one inside. Sighing, I sat down on one of the couches, painfully rubbing my wounded thigh.

"Busy night?" a voice suddenly rang out. The interior was dimly lit, and the windows were shut. No light can come in. I looked over and saw Charlie sitting down in front of me, her gray coat snuggled comfortably around her. I nodded.

"I can see that, with you all running around and about. I feel like you all need a raise."

A smile slithered across my lips, as my eyes looked at her.

"You know," she suddenly said," I knew there was something different about you..."

I frowned," what do you mean?"

"It's your eyes," she smiled. "Even under these dim lights, you have both brown and blue eyes. Heterochromia. Very rare, not to mention beautiful."

A blush began to creep from my face, and my smile turned into a small smirk. She laughed, shaking her head. "Sorry, I just needed to make the atmosphere light around here. It's hard to believe I'll be spending my days with all of you," she said sadly, putting strands of hair behind her ear. "Besides, everyone seems friendly, given the circumstances. Especially you, agent X."

I looked up and looked at her questionably," Agent X?"

"Well I was going to name you Agent Unknown, but Agent X seems easy enough to remember. You're the only agent that hasn't given their name."

"Agent X seems appropriate, thanks," I replied with a hint of bitterness.

"It's funny because your voice is very familiar to me," she said, sitting comfortably on her chair, her eyes sparkled. "It's not like we haven't met or anything...I would've remembered those eyes. But your voice is something else."

I frowned at her, slightly sighing. My voice is something else huh, I thought to myself. "My voice...is just another voice among the agents, ma'am." I looked behind her and found agent forty-nine motioning me to come outside. Pursing my lips together, I stood up and started to walk towards him, until Charlie's hand grabbed mine. Stopping, I looked down. She didn't look up, but stared at where I was sitting. "Before...you called me Charlie."

I cleared my throat," that's right. That is your name, right?"

She nodded, "It's funny because...every agent here has called me 'ma'am.' Never once have they called me by that name, because I didn't give it to them."

She then looked up, like a predator that caught its prey. "Agent," agent forty-nine rang out," we have to talk." He stood by the doorway, his SC-20 in hand. After quietly saying my excuse me's to Charlie, I walked out from her presence with a hurry. She can still recognize my voice? The night sky was clearing, and the moon was showing its light, but the coldness hovered around us. In my estimation, I'd say it was around -5 degrees Celsius, but this wasn't the most extreme coldness I have encountered. Comparing to Russian winter, this weather was like spring. "What is it?" I asked, with agent forty-nine by my side.

"Everything is in order, all supplies are in the house and stored away, but there is no word from the Agency. I tried contacting them," he replied, his boots making crunching noise as soon as he hit the ground. "The last word we ever got from them is relocation. Then I assume protection. Those two are a package deal from my experience."

"This doesn't make any sense, we don't even know who we are protecting her from," I said harshly. Calm down, Pamela, I thought to myself. This is not the first time the Agency has become secretive. I took a deep breath. "Whatever. Regardless of what happen, I say we wait it out until we do get word. Until then, we do what we came here to do: guard the girl."

-----------------

Two days have come by without word from the Agency. All of us took turns on who will stay outside and inside. Me, as their leader, can come and go, checking up on my agents in any time of day or night. I wandered around the kitchen, only to find Charlie and the male agent, once again, chatting, his face unmasked. They were eating a small breakfast, sitting next to each other at a table. I should call you James, I thought angrily to myself. Because you seem to flirt with pretty faces with every chance you get. I pushed my angry thoughts away, and decided to walk the other way, until I heard the agent's voice say "Hey! Agent X! Come join us why don't you?" Sighing, I walked back, sensing Charlie's eyes on me. She was in a comfortable black robe, her brown hair in a pony tail. Even though she had her own bedroom, it looked like she hasn't slept ever since we got here. She smiled faintly at me as I sat down in front of them.

"Cozy I see?" I asked, looking at them both. Charlie blushed slightly, and the agent next to her just laughed. You guys go to hell, I thought to myself. Sighing, I took a cup of coffee, and stared at it. No way in hell am I going to eat in front of her. "We were just catching up," she replied, sipping her cup of coffee. "Of the do's and don't in my part. It sucks that there's no internet out here, but I can always keep myself company with a book on my lap."

"I'm sure there are other ways to keep you entertained," the male agent said in a flirtatious voice, then laughed. He stopped laughing as soon as he caught my angry glare. "I should, um, roam around. Check to see if everything is okay," he suddenly said, standing up. As soon as he walked away, I shook my head, and saw Charlie chuckling under her breath. "It's nice to see agents like him being friendly," she suddenly said. "It makes me feel a bit more at ease."

"I take it you don't like seeing agents with guns, all serious and anal-like?" I asked.

"I guess every agent is different," she smiled faintly, her fingers gliding on the mug. "Can I ask you something, agent X?"

"Sure, what is it?" I asked cautiously. She looked shy, almost timid. Tapping her finger against the table, she looked uncertainly at me.

"You've been in this "Agency" for quite a while now right? You know the news and whatnots that goes around there?"

"I'm sorry, but that's classified information-"

"I don't care about that, it's just...have you heard of an agent named agent seventy-six?"

My heart stopped, and the warmth from my body vanished. I looked down at her fingers, and asked in a steady voice, "that name seems familiar, yes. Why?"

"Do you know...where she is now?"

I shook my head immediately, my mouth dry. "No. I'm sorry."

"The last time I saw her was..." she closed her eyes and let out a steady exhale. "That was two years ago. I just wondered, that's all." With that, she fell silent. Slowly, I looked up and decided to push her buttons. "Why do you ask? Did you know her before?"

She shrugged, almost looking regretful of asking such a question. "She was assigned to me, some kind of protection mission. We were a little close, perhaps she even broke her code of conduct during those months with me."

"With you?"

"I mean, being assigned to me and all," she said in embarrassment, not meeting my eye. Silence filled the kitchen for a couple of seconds, until I asked her, "What do you mean a little close?"

She stopped playing with her mug, and looked at me once again. "Please don't tell anyone, especially the Agency?"

I nodded, then leaned forward.

"We were, I don't know...more, but again, not more. I'm not sure what we were, it's complicated," she chuckled. "But I know she viewed me as more than an assignment, and I viewed her more than an agent."

"What..."I cleared my throat. "What did you view her as?"

"I want to say as my lover," she smiled sadly," but given the circumstances, I was already with James, my boyfriend."

"That is quite complicated, ma'am," I mumbled as I unconsciously lifted my mask halfway and took a sip from the coffee. You really thought of me as a lover? "But you love this James person? Your boyfriend?"

"To be honest...no," she laughed sadly, looking at the half empty mug. "I only went out with him to please my uncle, which is like a father to me. He's the only living relative I had left. And ever since he died last year from a car crash during a business trip, I guess I've grown attached to James. Emotionally attached. I don't know if you call it love or a coping mechanism, but he seems to take it as love. He even asked me to marry him." She held up her diamond ring.

123456...8