The Mission of the Heart Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She kissed the agent's head one last time, whispering," Shhh now, everything will be okay...I promise you, it's better this way..."

Then she walked away with a heavy heart, accepting her position as the head of the Agency.

Ever since, she kept an eye on seventy-six, hoping to help her in any way. As her desk agent, she did help her in any way she can, but it pained her to see how seventy-six looked at her.

That loving stare that once was there was forever lost. Carrie's heart screamed in pain whenever her eyes looked at the beautiful agent, but know she can't do anything about it.

It was her curse.

But it was also her love.

-------------------

Carrie, behind a bulletproof glass, was at the second floor, while the operating room was below her. Surgeons were preparing for the operation, and among them was Doctor Philips. Minutes later, other surgeons rolled in two individuals: Charlie and the other, Seventy-six.

Carrie's heart ached once again.

Charlie was semi-conscious, looking lazily around the room in confusion, but seventy-six was still under. The doctors put the two side by side, Charlie painfully turned her head towards the agent with effort. Carrie saw twitching on Charlie's mouth, as if mouthing something towards the agent.

Charlie's hand slowly inched it's way over, until it touched the sleeping agent's hand, while Carrie reached over, putting her hand on glass, witnessing what was happening below.

Her heart ached even more.

One of the surgeons put Charlie under once again, and her lucid green eyes slowly closed, but her hand still touched seventy-six's.

Carrie trembled, her hand clutching the necklace around her neck. Hurriedly, she turned on the mic. "Doctor Philips," she said. The female doctor looked up upon hearing her name. "There has been a change of plans."

------------------------

"Let me get that for ya!" the plump, middle-aged waitress suddenly said, starling me. Closing the book in front of me, I looked at her, grabbing my empty plate. "No date for tonight, sweetie?"

"I'm afraid not, June,"

"Aww that's too bad," she replied, pouring me another glass of iced tea. "But I'm sure someone will turn up! It's Chicago for god's sake, this city has its own magic."

I chuckled, sipping the cold iced tea. "If magic you mean snow, there's a lot of that going around, being December and all."

June gave me a dirty look and went back into the kitchen, leaving me alone with my book. I looked out and saw more snow coming down. I wish I had a car, I thought to myself. Commuting through Chicago's public transportation is such a hassle, especially during the holidays. With my gray scarf around my neck, I was still a bit cold even under my turtle neck black long sleeved shirt and coat. Sipping on my iced tea one last time, I grabbed my book, and stood up, going to towards the exit.

With a loud 'umf' my body crashed against another, which resulted me, landing on my bottom.

"Ow!" I said, looking at the floor.

"I'm so sorry!" a feminine voice said. "Are you okay?"

I saw a hand reaching out to me, but it was the owner of the hand that caught my eye. A pair of emerald eyes look down at me, her light brown wavy hair framed her oval face beautifully. She was wearing a long, tan coat, but it shaped her perfectly. I had my share of déjà vu moments in my life, but this one was number one in my list.

In a trance, I took her hand, and slowly stood up. She bent over, and grabbed something from the floor. In her hand was my book, and she was handing it over to me.

"Tom Clancy," she suddenly said with a hint of surprise in her voice. "Not a lot of women read novels of his these days."

"Well, I guess I'm not most women. I'm a sucker when it comes to military and spy novels," I chuckled. I reached out and grabbed the book. Then reached out again. "My name's Ashley."

"And mine's Anna," she grinned, taking my hand and shaking it. My body trembled upon contact, and I swore I felt a spark. "Forgive me for saying this, but...have we met before?"

"You know, I was thinking the same thing," I said, slightly frowning, trying to dig deep into my memory. "Are you friends with Michael Reyes?"

"No actually I just moved into Chicago a week ago," she confessed. "I was originally from New York."

"Huh," I replied. "Well I don't know anyone from New York, sorry. Why did you come here?"

"I got offered a job here, as an attorney," she replied, smiling. I smiled back, feeling my heart about to erupt from my chest. "I see you were just leaving-"

"No," I interrupted. "I, uh, mean I was, but I changed my mind."

"And why?" she said, smiling shyly up to me. God damn, I thought to myself. I could get lost and easily get distracted with that smile if I'm not too careful.

"Not quite sure, but I don't want to go home just yet," I confessed. "My booth is here, do you want to join me?"

She gleamed, nodded, then sat in front of me.

"It's been a hard move, but I'm glad I finally met someone," she said.

I looked at her questionably.

"I mean to show me around and stuff," she added quickly, looking flustered. "I hope you don't mind?"

"No, Anna," I smiled. "I don't mind at all."

-------------------

Carrie, with her hands behind her back, looked at the screen that revealed two young women, talking like old friends in an old, peaceful diner in Chicago. She smiled, then turned off the screen. Walking back to her desk, she got a lighter from her pocket, then sat on her black, leather desk chair.

Two bulky files were in front of her, labeled as classified. She opened them simultaneously, and saw the pictures of two women of each: Agent seventy-six and agent X, who were then known as Pamela Pierson and Charlie Carlson. Description of their relocation operation was a success, thanks to Doctor Philips and her team; despite the 45% surviving rate, the two young women survived and accepted the new memories. The operation was done a year ago, and the Agency have kept their eyes on the two to see if there were any more adverse effects, but seeing how capable they were without any major relapse in their memories, the Agency will permanently erase any trace of existence of their previous lives after tonight.

She closed Charlie's file, and stared at agent seventy-six's picture, her fingers lingered on the photograph. Closing her eyes, she closed the filed, and piled it on top of the other one. With one hand, she grabbed the two files together, while the other flicked the lighter on.

She looked closely at the flame, then, as if in a trance, let it get closer and closer to the files until the flame made contact with the tan folder, spreading itself. Seconds later, half of the files were in flames. She threw them away, onto the cemented floor, where the flame continually engulfed the files altogether. With all her strength, she smiled as her hand glided on her necklace.

Perhaps she had did have seventy-six at that time, and forever her heart belonged to the agent. But love is a fickle thing, yet it was kind and patient enough to do the right thing. With two hearts together, it can be capable of many things, both dangerous and beautiful.

She looked at the file, all burnt out.

Charlie's and Pamela's hearts did find one another once again, through many frustrating circumstances. Nevertheless, they found each other despite the odds.

Many guess that love is destiny, always traveling, always looking for that compatible someone. But for the head of the Agency, it was like a mission, fighting its way for justice, never giving up for the ones you love, even if it means not getting what you expected.

Or what you hoped.

Yes, Carrie thought to herself, that's how it is.

The struggle was worth it.

The mission of the heart.

END.

1...345678