The Party's Over

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

There was a Denny's down the street. At lunch time it filled up faster than a rain barrel under a waterfall, but it was well after one and the place was almost empty when he walked in. He was in no hurry to get back so after he ate he sat thinking over a cup of java.

He really missed Alicia. The only thing he hated more than crawling into an empty bed at night was waking up in one the next morning. As he thought about the recording he suddenly became anxious to get back and see more. He hoped he would see what Alicia wanted him to. He could probably forgive her if he was positive it was her one and only time. God, I hope there's something there that will convince me of that," he silently prayed. He needed something to erase the doubt.

After sitting down again in front of his computer, Dexter fast forwarded through the other ladies showing off their oral skills but stopped as soon as he saw Alicia. He watched intently as the expression on her face showed her indecisiveness at the moment of truth. Yes, he could see it. It almost looked like she was going to refuse, then he heard one of the other women challenge her about taking it all. He watched as the cockster tried to ram it down her throat as soon as her mouth opened and he saw her choke on it and pull back coughing, almost immediately. The others laughed at her and he heard someone else say she would show him how it was done.

He had seen what she wanted and yes, there was now a smidgen of hope, but there were also tears for the first time. Maybe she was reluctant but no one put a gun to her head. He remembered how important it was for his wife to become a member of the little clique. He also remembered what he saw on Manny's phone. There was a lot to think about but he'd seen enough. He clicked off as more tears found their way down his cheeks. He stood up and went into the bathroom to wash his face before getting back to work.

On Thursday morning, Mr. Johnson called Vanessa into his office. "As you might guess, I've been trying to get ahold of the other secretaries to find out what's going on. You know that Sylvia quit, of course, but I hadn't heard from Meredith and I wasn't sure if Wendy went on her honeymoon or not," he said with a scowl.

"I have no idea what happened at that wedding but I finally got ahold of Aaron. He picked up when I called the home phone number I had for Wendy. I guess they were sharing an apartment. He told me he hasn't seen her since the wedding but knew she was staying with her parents. I don't have their number. Aaron is listed as the emergency contact on her employment application and he hung up on me before I could ask for her folk's number. Do you know it?"

"No, Mr. Johnson, I don't," Vanessa replied.

"Okay. Well, since I can't get ahold of her and she hasn't called me, evidently she's not that interested in saving her job. I want you to call personnel and tell them to run our usual ad for a new secretary."

"Yes, sir," she replied sadly.

"I was also finally able to talk to Meredith. She'll be back on Monday. Make sure the temp agency knows that, please."

Vanessa confirmed she would take care of it but before making any calls she had to run over to Alicia's desk with the news. "Meredith will be back on Monday," she announced.

"She will. How do you know?"

"Mr. Johnson talked to her. He also talked to Aaron..."

"Aaron?" she gasped. "How...I mean..."

"He called their apartment and Aaron answered. He said Wendy is staying with her folks. Mr. Johnson told personnel to run an ad to replace her," reported Vanessa. "They obviously never even went on their honeymoon. God, she must be devastated."

"Yeah," Alicia agreed, "but imagine how devastated Aaron was watching her suck that guy's dick."

"Yeah, I know. I was talking to the other girls earlier. Vicki's husband still isn't talking to her and Mindy hasn't seen Mark since that night. She's really scared. She said she'd never seen him so angry."

"He didn't hit her, did he?" Alicia asked.

"No, I don't think so. She would have said something if he had. She's praying he cools off but she doesn't think that's going to happen. She believes he's going to want a divorce."

Alicia didn't say anything. Her own situation came to mind. Vanessa guessed at what she was thinking. "What about Dexter, anything knew?"

"Not really," she sighed in response. "He came over for some more clothes the other night. He's staying in a motel instead of the studio. I don't know what I'm going to do if he wants a divorce, Vanessa."

"What about counseling? Would he go for that?"

"I don't know," she admitted. "I don't know if it'd do any good but I could try, I guess. It probably couldn't hurt."

That night Alicia wondered if Dexter would be open to couples therapy. She hadn't heard from him and wasn't sure if he had watched more of the video or not. She decided to wait until the weekend and see if he called her, first.

Friday afternoon the girls all got a shock when they looked up and saw Sylvia walking in.

Alicia was the first to react. "I thought you quit." Her tone was not very friendly.

Sylvia picked up on it and answered uncomfortably. "I did. I just came in to get a few personal things and Mr. Johnson said I could pick up my check today instead of waiting for the mail."

She was hoping for a friendly face but didn't see any. "I...I'm sorry, girls. I really was going to delete that tape but I completely forgot about it. I didn't even know Manny had my phone until he started yelling at the reception. I'm so sorry."

Yes, the tape was the reason for them getting caught but everyone knew what they did was wrong. Sylvia's apology did a lot to soften a few attitudes.

"How's Manny taking it," asked Vicki.

"Not real good. It's not my idea to quit my job, he's making do it. I'm also sleeping in the guest room. He's not really considering divorce though, thank God. He's been talking about going to counseling lately, so I think that's what we're going to do."

"Really?" inquired Alicia. "Do you know of a good counselor?"

"Yeah, one of the guys Manny works with recommended somebody. She's a woman—supposed to be really good. Why? Do you want her number?"

"Yeah, you got it?"

"No, not on me but I have it at home. I'll call later and give it to you. What about the rest of you?" asked Sylvia, looking around.

They all agreed it couldn't hurt to have the number.

In the wake of the conversation she had with her boss, Vanessa was curious. "Have you heard from Wendy?"

"No but I heard from Cathy Henderson; she was one of the other bridesmaids. That Monday after the wedding Aaron saw a lawyer about getting an annulment."

"Oh shit," commented Vicki.

"Yeah. I guess Wendy is staying with her parents. I doubt very much if she'll come back to work."

"Yeah, Mr. Johnson is already running an ad to replace her," Vanessa informed her.

"Well," Sylvia said regrettably, "Mr. Johnson said he cleaned out my desk and has everything in personnel so I guess I'd better get going." She hung her head. "I really am so sorry for all the hurt I caused. I guess we all got carried away that night. We should have never done what we did—it was stupid. I was the stupidest of us all by taping it and then leaving it around to be found. It...it ruined lives. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," she said one more time. She had tears in her eyes as she departed.

Just before everyone was getting ready to leave that day, Sylvia called Alicia with the number for the therapist and asked if she'd distribute it to the rest. That would be the last time they ever spoke to each other.

Weekends were the worst for Alicia. At least on weekdays she had work to keep her mind occupied during the day. When she was alone at home all she did was wonder what Dexter was doing or thinking—had he seen a lawyer? If he has, what would she do—fight the divorce, try to force him to stay married to her? What good would that do? No, she screwed up, if he wants a divorce she'll agree with whatever he feels is fair. But...but how will she live without him?

As determined as she was to stay strong through this ordeal, she never could stop the tears from coming whenever she thought of life without him.

Dexter was also thinking hard that morning. He'd had a sleepless night so he walked to the beachfront to watch the sun come up over Lake Michigan. Vibrant hues of orange and red danced on top of the choppy waves like brightly colored fairies from a child's dream. A beautiful warm glow wrapped itself around the tall buildings of down town and shimmered along the reflective surfaces of glass.

Dexter did love the city. It was warm and friendly, so full of life and excitement. But would it feel that way without Alicia or would the city he loved turn cold and empty. It had been a week since walking out and he still had no idea what to do. Maybe if he talked to her, really talked to her face to face he'd be able to tell if she was sincere about it being only one time.

Alicia had been cleaning. It was the only thing she could think of to keep her mind off of her troubled marriage. If he hadn't called by six she was going to call him. In the mean time she needed something to do. Dusting and vacuuming seemed like as good an idea as any other. She was just about to take a break when the phone rang.

"Hi, it's me."

Her heart skipped a beat when she heard him. "Hi." Her voice carried hope but also fear. He could be calling to say all is forgiven and he was coming back home, then again he could say he was filing for divorce. She held her breath and let him speak.

"Are you going to be home in an hour? I want to come over and talk."

"Yes, yes of course. I'm just doing a little cleaning. How about if I make us lunch?"

"Yeah, okay," he replied. "I'll see you in a little while."

"Okay," she quickly replied. "Oh and Dexter..."

"Yeah?"

"Just come in. This is still your house."

"Alright, see you in a bit," he said, then hung up.

That's when Alicia realized how she looked and quickly jumped into the shower. By the time Dexter walked in the door she was fresh, clean, nicely dressed, and wore just a touch of his favorite perfume. Not that he really noticed, he had other things on his mind.

She poured the coffee and they sat down to eat. There was very little conversation until they were done. Alicia was on pin-and-needles. She also had something she wanted to discuss but would wait for him to talk first.

"I watched that video, at least part of it; enough to see that you did look like you weren't sure what to do before lover boy stuck his dick in your mouth."

"I...I can only imagine how hard it was for you to see that. I know you had to force yourself to watch and you don't know how much I appreciate you doing that. I'm just so sorry I did it. I have no excuse, Dexter, I..." she had to catch her breath before being able to say it. "I did cheat on you, but I swear that was the only time." She could virtually see the doubt he still held.

"You're sorry you did it or you're sorry you got caught?" he asked.

"No-no, I'm sorry I let it happen. I knew better. I had no delusions about what I was doing. I knew I was cheating on you. I didn't start out to do it deliberately. I...I just kind of got caught up in all the excitement and when the situation arose I gave in. My only regret about getting caught is what it's doing to you."

That phrase, "I gave in," brought back memories of all the times he was tempted but didn't give in. He was unaware of his expression as he wondered why his wife's resolve wasn't as strong as his own. Did that mean she didn't love him as much as he loved her?

Alicia could see the inner turmoil in his face. She was sure she'd lose him without professional help. "Dexter, would you be willing to attend couples therapy with me?"

He thought for just a second. "I don't know; what good it would do?"

"Dexter, I broke your heart and I have no idea how to repair it again...or, if that's even possible. I don't know but I want to try and I need someone who's trained to help...please," she implored. "I got the name of a therapist that's supposed to be very good. Please let me make an appointment with her."

He didn't see how a therapist could ease his mind if his wife couldn't, but if it was possible... "Go ahead," he answered. "But call me and let me know what's available before making a firm appointment."

"I will," she said with some relief—some hope.

On Monday morning, with Meredith back on the job, it looked like the old gang was about as complete as it was going to get so the five of them went out to lunch together. It was the first time they'd gone out as a group since the wedding but it wasn't like old times; there were no jokes, no laughter, not even any snide remarks, it was more like a support group.

Once they were all seated, Meredith started the conversation. She had been out of the loop and knew nothing of what was happening. "So, did everyone's marriage survive?"

"NO," answered Mindy. "Well, I don't know for sure. I haven't heard from Mark since that night but I'm pretty sure he's going to ask for a divorce."

Meredith was surprised and felt sheepish for asking the question like she did. "Really? Geeze, I...I'm sorry. I know our husbands were mad but I didn't really think anybody would be getting divorced. Wh..." she was almost afraid to ask. "What about the rest of you?"

"We're all having our problems," volunteered Alicia. "I still don't know what's going to happen. Dexter is staying in a motel. We talked over the weekend and he's agreed to couple's counseling so I'm still hopeful."

"Oh God, Lees, I'm so sorry." Meredith was starting to see how devastating the situation was.

"What about you?" Vicki asked, jumping in.

Meredith's expression changed. "Well, it's no secret that I've thought David has been cheating on me for a long time. That night, after the wedding, he admitted it."

"He did!" exclaimed Vanessa.

Meredith slowly nodded her head. "Yeah, well not right away. He started yelling at me as soon as we got into the car. Finally, by the time we got home, I was just so tired of it I yelled back and said, 'what about you, how many women have you slept with?' I'd never had the nerve to accuse him of anything before so at first he was surprised; then he got this real guilty look on his face."

"Sure," volunteered Mindy, "he knew he'd been caught."

"Yeah, he didn't even try to deny it. He asked me how long I knew and I told him for a long time. Then he asked why I never said anything before."

"What did you say?" asked Alicia.

"I told him I never said anything because I still loved him and asked if he still loved me. He said he did. We talked through the entire night. I asked if he wanted his freedom, if he wanted a divorce but he said no. We both started to cry and decided we're going to try and put our marriage back together."

Vicki was the first to congratulate her, the others followed. By the time they were done with lunch they were all caught up on each other's marital woes.

Two days later Alicia called Dexter with three possible times and dates for his counseling appointment. She explained that the therapist wanted a one hour session with each of them individually, first. She had already made her appointment so Dexter picked one for himself and Alicia booked it.

Dexter had no idea what to expect. He'd never been to any kind of therapist before. Would there be 'his' and 'hers' couches, he wondered with amusement.

As he stepped from his car a seven-forty-seven was flying right over the building. He looked up. It was monstrous and so close he could almost count the rivets in its belly. He watched as it sliced through the sky, over the bordering cyclone fence of O'Hare and onto the landing strip. He waited until a small puff of smoke told him it had landed safely before turning and entering the building.

Inside, he looked down at the hand written note for the room number then proceeded to suit three-nineteen. The first thing he noticed was the carved, wooden plague on the wall of the small waiting room. 'The perfect marriage is two imperfect people who refuse to give up on one another.' It was a nice sentiment and made his smile.

"Yes, Sir, can I help you?" inquired the receptionist.

"Ah, yeah, I'm Dexter Samuelson. I have an appointment."

"Of course, Mr. Samuelson, let me tell her you're here." The young brunette pushed the income button and announced his arrival. He heard the doctor's voice telling her to let him in.

The doctor's name was Mrs. Angela Lindstrom. She was a rather plain looking woman in her late thirties. Dexter really didn't care for her bedside manner but she did seem to know her stuff...at least the questions she asked were poignant and targeted to his concerns. After the first hour he may not have liked her but he respected her.

The second week was their first joint session. They both knew it wasn't going to be a walk in the park but neither was prepared for Dr. Lindstrom's unorthodox methods. She leaned confidently back in her leather chair. "Mrs. Samuelson, you told me something about your feelings in this matter that you haven't expressed to Mr. Samuelson because you thought it sounded self-centered. I'd like you to tell him about those feelings now."

Alicia was blindsided. "Dr. I told you that in confidence. I...I can't tell him. It sounds horrible. I should have never even told you," she cried.

"Mrs. Samuelson, it's the way you feel. The very first thing you two need to do is bare your souls to each other. If you're not willing to do that then this is going to be a waste of time."

Alicia couldn't look at him. There was no way she could look him in the eye and say it so she hung her head and spoke softly. "I, ah...well I, my, ah," she took a breath and let it out with a sigh. "You hurt my feelings. I know how that must sound after what I've done but it's true. I love you. I know I screwed up but I can't believe you think that I've cheated on you before." Her emotions were already getting to her. They hadn't been there for more than ten minutes and already her eyes were welling up.

"You got to be kidding me. I hurt you feelings? Well excuse me all to hell. My God, you ripped my heart out and I hurt YOUR feelings?"

He was almost ready to pack it in and forget about the therapy-and the marriage but Dr. Lindstrom expected his reaction and urged him to continue. "Why don't you believe her when she says it was her only time?"

"Because...it's more than just the cheating part; that's bad enough but she was sneaky about it...dishonest. She knew that guy was going to be there. You should have seen the way she was dressed that night. She knew damn well they hired a stripper..."

"Yes," cried Alicia, "I knew he was going to be there but I had no idea things would go that far. I thought he'd strip down to a speedo or something; we'd stuff dollar bills inside the waistband and that would be it. If I had known what was going to happen I'd have never gone to the stupid party," she shouted as she started to break down.

"Why didn't you tell me about him before you left? Why the secrecy?"

She was still crying but answered through her tears. "I don't know, I...I guess I didn't want you to get the wrong idea."

"Wrong idea? You cheated on me. You mean the right idea. You went behind my back, Alicia. So, now I wonder how many other times have there been? I only know about this because of your stupid friend. How many other times have you done something like this and never got caught?"

Alicia was finally starting to see all the implications of what she'd done—not only the cheating, but her dishonesty both before and after.

"Alicia, under the circumstances, I could have forgiven a onetime slip. Had you told me up front about the stripper, then admitted what happened when you came home that night it would have been different; but keeping secrets, being so devious, and then not taking responsibility for what you did afterward, that's what makes me think it's happened before."

1...345678