The Phoenix Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They reached an old small warehouse. It was a bit out of the way and gave Erin the creeps.

"Wyatt, where are we?" She asked, trying not to frown. She didn't like it.

"It's a surprise. Follow me." Wyatt walked ahead of her, but Erin stopped.

"Wyatt." She eyed him.

Wyatt frowned, then smiled softly. He extended his hand. "Do you trust me?"

Erin looked down at his hand. She looked back up at his green eyes and smile.

'Here goes nothing.'

She clenched her left hand and gave her right hand to him. He pulled her along into the dark warehouse. It reminded her of the one from The Departed, and that didn't help ease her apprehension. They entered a freight elevator and began to ascend. Erin frowned deeply and held Wyatt's hand tight. He smiled down at her and squeezed her hand.

"Ok, so-" he said as they came to a stop, "this is going to be a little unorthodox."

The doors opened and Erin gasped.

Before her, a jungle emerged. Gorgeous flowers and shrubs burst all around her. The intense floral smell hit her, filled her nostrils, her mouth, her lungs. Green vines draped from the glass ceiling. The colors and scents overwhelmed her. Her mouth hung open; her eyes darted every which way.

"Welcome to one of the last greenhouses in the city," Wyatt said proudly.

"What?"

"Yeah. It was a pet project of mine when I started rehab. I know it's not very big-"

"It's breathtaking Wyatt," Erin said up to him, "It's like a dream in winter." She walked through the aisles, caressing the delicate flower petals with her fingertips.

"Casey helped me build it. My kids volunteered here once, but we couldn't swing it again. They don't like the area. But I do. It's old and industrial, but it's quiet. I've never had any trouble here."

Erin listened, but she was in wonder. She saw roses and lilies, which she recognized, but most of the other flowers she didn't.

"Is this real?" she asked herself.

Wyatt answered. "Yeah. And it wasn't easy, believe me." He held her hand as he showed her the different buds and blooms. She was fascinated by each and every one.

'She likes it! She really likes it!'

Wyatt was happy. He described the planting process and all the reading he had to do.

"The guys at Lowes only knew so much." He laughed. He led Erin into an office in the back.

There was a cozy office with a table for two set in the middle. Erin smiled.

"This is lovely Wyatt. What made you pick here?"

"You," he said, admiring his work.

"Me?"

"Yeah." He sat her down and took her coat.

"How did I inspire any of this?" Erin watched him. He placed her coat and his on the couch by the door and sat across from her. He shoved his iPhone into its home and turned on Pandora.

"The rest of the world is loud and harsh and it feels inescapable at times," He said, "you told me once that you used dunk your head in water sometimes when you have attacks. I figured that was a way to drown out the noise in your head."

He looked at her earnestly. "The world is quiet here."

Erin wanted to cry.

"You heard me."

Wyatt nodded and smiled.

They ate heartily and lounged on the couch. Wyatt was stretched out with Erin on top of him. The sweet smell of flowers lingered in the air. His heartbeat was steady and soothing in her ear. His hand was buried in her hair, while the other was around her waist.

"Thank you Wyatt," She said against his chest.

"For what?"

Erin sat up and looked him in the eyes. "For this. For all of this."

Wyatt gave her a lazy half smile. "Thank you for coming."

Erin couldn't help but laugh. "Of course I came."

"Yeah but," Wyatt shook his head, "you didn't have to. You didn't have to choose me." He sat up, speaking seriously. "I know I'm not exactly normal. I spend so much time trying to fight off..." He trailed off.

"The Thirst?"

Wyatt nodded. "I'm alone a lot. Trying not to give in. It's like-"

"Like you're not a real person. Not like everyone else. You're some anomaly, but not interesting enough to study."

Wyatt swallowed. It just occurred to him how close their faces were. They'd yet to kiss.

"Yes," he whispered.

As if on cue, the words of the playing song crept between them.

Honey just put your sweet lips on my lips, we should just kiss like real people do.

Wyatt's eyes darkened. Erin watched him brush her hair from her eyes. Her gaze slid down to his lips. She studied them. Wyatt did the same, moving his thumb to lightly glide along her bottom lip. He opened his mouth then and sang along, his voice hushed and deep.

"I could not ask you where you came from,

I could not ask it and neither could you.

Honey just put your sweet lips on my lips,

We could just kiss, like real people do."

Erin leaned forward and pressed her lips to his. Their tender kiss was more than she expected it to be. Wyatt's lips were as warm as she hoped they would be, but they were also sweet and supple. She opened her mouth and took his bottom lip between hers. His tongue slipped forward, like a guest she'd been waiting to arrive. She greeted his with her own, eliciting a drowsy rumble in his chest. Her lips parted wider, inviting him in. Wyatt held her head still with his grip and plunged forward, trying to taste all of her at once. Erin's breath was gone, making her lungs ache. But she was afraid to breathe. She didn't want it to end.

It was Wyatt who pulled back.

"Are you real?" He murmured.

Erin shook her head slowly. "But then, neither are you. We're perfect for each other."

Wyatt grinned.

He hadn't felt Thirsty all night.