The Return Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
davidpaul
davidpaul
116 Followers

-----------

Tom and his family welcomed me to Canberra with open arms. It was quite an experience living in a small town of 6,000 or so people to suddenly be living in a large regional centre with a population of over 300,000 people.

Tom had a large house in Bruce right next to the Australian Institute of Sport and the Raiders training grounds. I initially missed my Dad and friends immensely but soon I developed a healthy regime of attending school and then training 4 times a week with the Raiders. I spent a lot of other time at the gym and swimming.

I found school to be ok and was made easier with the fact that Molly Tom's oldest daughter was the same age as me and attending the same school. We became good friends and her boyfriend Liam was a nice bloke as well.

Having turned 16, I was too old to be part of the Raiders Harold Matthews team so I was drafted straight into the Raiders SG Ball Team (under 18's competition). The position for a place in the team was fierce but by the end of the trials, I was selected as the team's lock forward.

All the extra training had payed off. Coach Henry was pleased with my progress and I started making headlines for my fierce defence, ability to offload the ball and goal kicking abilities.

I was going so well that I also sat on the bench for the Raiders Jersey Flegg Team (under 20's competition) that year. My dream was eventually to play First Grade Rugby League for the Raiders and I knew I could do it.

By the end of the season, I had forged an excellent reputation and had won quite a few club awards as best forward and highest point scorer. I was also recognised nationally in the rising star awards. By Christmas break, I decided to head home for a few weeks.

-----------

Outwardly Iron Plain hadn't changed at all but I had. I was now standing 6 foot 3 inches and weighed around 220 pounds. I was proud, as it was all muscle and hard work. Dad met me at the airport and was shocked at my growth.

"Wow son you look great. Tom sent me the tapes and your progress is amazing."

"Thanks Dad it's great to see you as well."

I didn't bother asking about Mum as she hadn't bothered turning up to even greet me. I caught up with all the news and nothing much had changed. Dad looked different somehow, as if the world was beating him; I knew it had to be Mum. The Rugby team wasn't doing well as Paul had quit and Gary Beasley was the new half back and captain. I had a quiet laugh to myself about that.

The hardware store was doing exceptionally well and Dad had a solid reputation all around nearby town's of a man who was fair and knew his trade. I was proud of him but then again I always was. Dad had a surprise for me at home, as I was 17 and had my driver's licence. In the driveway was a Holden Torana SLR-5000. I couldn't believe it.

"It's all yours son, I found it when I brought the Ford."

"I can't believe it Dad. It's a classic."

"Enjoy it son, go see your friends."

I didn't have to be told twice, I tore down the road and went looking for Paul. I found Paul at Denise's house. It was great to catch up and to be with people that truly cared about me. We decided to go for a drive and went over to Stone Ridge. There was a river that was a hangout for teenagers, in hindsight I probably shouldn't have gone. We all decided to go for a swim and had an enjoyable afternoon.

We were packing up our gear and ready to leave when we practically ran into Gary Beasley and Jenny Taylor. I just knew he wouldn't be able to keep his mouth shut. Jenny wouldn't look at me and was staring at the ground as they went past us.

"Nice car Green, looks like a good ride. My Dad tells me something else you Green's have is a good ride as well" he laughed

I was ready to react when Paul put his hand on my shoulder.

"Forget it Rob, neither of them is worth it." He said aloud looking directly at Jenny.

We packed the car and left. Nothing had changed in Iron Plain, nothing at all.

-----------

The joy of Christmas didn't come to the Green house that year. It was the Christmas that changed the direction of my life and how I felt about everything. The morning started off as per normal with everyone exchanging presents. Well I had gotten mine in the form of the car but I got Dad some signed Rugby League Memorabilia and he looked as pleased as punch. I got Mum some perfume, no thought had gone into it and she knew it.

The Williams family came over for Christmas lunch and we had a good time but I could see something eating away at my Dad. My Mum was putting on her normal show in front of others pretending to be Martha Stewart so I couldn't sense anything there.

Eventually Paul and I went over to see Denise as I wanted to catch up with Justin her brother. We had a nice time at the Richards' and they were eager to hear about my budding football career and life in Canberra. Christmas night approached so I said my goodbyes and left for home.

I walked through the door and I knew straight away that something was amiss. I had sensed it since my return from Canberra. My parents were in the lounge room and called me in. I looked straight at my Dad and knew something was very wrong I was thinking maybe he had cancer or something.

"Son I hope you had an enjoyable Christmas but we have some news for you that may spoil it."

"What is it Dad? Are you ok?"

"Son your Mother and I are separating and will be getting a divorce. I'm sorry."

"Ok Dad."

To be honest I wasn't shocked as I had expected this for a while. My Mother looked stunned at my acceptance of the impending divorce.

"Son I will be moving out of the house tomorrow and living in the spare apartment above the store. Your Mother will keep the house. I just want you to know you are the most important thing to me, you're my son and I love you. Just remember that no matter what you hear.

Your Mother will now explain the reasons while I go out and have a beer with Eric Rogers."

My Dad then got up from his chair and quietly left us alone. I heard his car pull out and then turned and looked at my so called Mother.

"Before you say anything, I ran into Gary Beasley today and he told me that his Dad enjoyed his free rides. So go ahead and try to stun me with your revelations."

Then the oddest thing happened, she actually did stun me with her revelations.

"Rob, Gary is your half brother."

"Say that again."

"Rob, son this is very difficult for me to tell you this but I have been having an ongoing affair with Angus Beasley for the last 20 years. I'm sorry but Angus Beasley is your real father not Johnny."

My jaw dropped and everything started boiling over. I couldn't think straight.

"What the fuck do you mean Dad is not my Dad?"

"Rob it means that Angus is your father due to our ongoing relationship. You were the result of our coupling."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes very sure, can't you see the resemblance to Angus? I mean you have black hair and hazel eyes you are 6 foot 3inches. Johnny is only 5 foot 10 inches with blonde hair and blue eyes. Anyway, your Father insisted on DNA evidence, which was provided as we still had your hair brush.

I know this is hard to take in but once you calm down and then meet your Father and half brother properly I'm sure you will come to accept this."

"You fucking whore...if I ever see Angus Beasley or his bastard son again I will make them remember Rob Green. I am Johnny Green's son not Angus fucking Beasleys' son. Go live with your asshole, we are done. I never want to see you again. I'll help Dad move out and we are finished. If you see me on the street, walk the other way. I can honestly say I hate you, you destroyed our family. You can all rot in hell"

"Son please.....don't be like that. I know you don't mean that! I love you. This secret life has been tearing me apart. Johnny is a good man but I don't love him."

"Then why did you marry him.....Belinda? We are done. Goodbye."

I walked out with my Mother crying bitterly. I had to find my Dad and went looking for him at Eric Roger's house but he wasn't there. I eventually found him at the Commercial Hotel where he was already drunk. I walked in and everyone stopped to stare at me, then realised who I was and then got back to drinking.

I helped Dad up and took him to his car, which I would drive. As I was about to get in the driver's seat, I saw Angus Beasley drive up in his Mercedes with my mother in the passenger seat. Well I did warn my mother but she never listened. I was only 17 but I figured I could take Angus Beasley in a fight, looks like I would find out. Thankfully, my Dad was passed out in the passenger seat of the Ford.

I was itching for a confrontation and I wanted this. Angus and my Mother got out of the car and walked over. He was the first one to open his mouth.

"Rob please wait, I think we need to talk."

"We've got nothing to talk about Beasley. You and your whore piss off and leave us be."

"I can't do that Rob, I only found out recently you were my son. I'm sorry you are hurting but I love your Mother and she loves me."

"Shut up. You aren't my Father and that women you're with isn't my Mother anymore. You are both home wreckers now go away before you get hurt."

"Rob...please be reasonable."

That did me and I lost all control. The Beasleys' had made my life hell and they had destroyed my Dad. I remember my Mother screaming as I launched myself at Angus Beasley. I took out my rage on him for what they had done.

My first few shots landed directly on his nose and I had the pleasure of hearing his cartilage snap. He was stunned as he staggered back I then started working his body and reeled off another shot to his head when he dropped to the ground bleeding.

Next I heard feet coming towards me. It was my newly acquired 'brother' Gary Beasley. who came charging forward so I neatly side stepped him. He turned around and tried to kick me. I swerved again and landed a nice hook to the side of his head. He was briefly stunned so I kneed him in the groin. Then as he bent over I grabbed his head and lifted my knee directly into his face and heard another satisfying crunch as his nose broke.

By then there was a crowd. I had justified the ongoing rumours of the affair and this family tragedy was played out in front of the whole town. Belinda Green was nursing Angus in her lap sobbing while Jenny Taylor was doing the same for Gary. I smiled for the first time in a long time, a two for one special.

I then drove my Dad back to the house and put him to bed. I then calmly walked back to the pub to get my car and perhaps get arrested for assault. I was very lucky the cops weren't about so I drove to Stone Ridge and booked into a hotel.

-----------

Sergeant Rogers found me easily the next morning as I was having breakfast at the hotel.

"We have to stop meeting like this Rob. Well the good news first I have a dozen witnesses that state the Beasleys' attacked you first and you were only defending yourself. The bad news is this news is all around town and I believe the Raiders are looking into the incident. You may have your contract torn up.

Now go see your Dad as he is worried about you."

"Will do Sir and thank you."

"Don't thank me Rob ...you were very lucky. I won't tolerate vigilante actions in my town regardless of the reasons."

"Yes Sir."

I made it back to Iron Plain in quick time. There was a moving van out the front of the house. It was one of those rent a wrecks and my dad was packing it very slowly. He smiled when he saw me, nothing was said as I helped pack up all his worldly possessions.

It only took a couple of hours to pack up everything we then drove to the store and we quickly unpacked the truck. I followed Dad out in my car when he returned the truck and we then went back to the house to collect his car. By that time Mum had returned. Dad gave her the house keys and he drove back to the store.

I just looked at her and smiled like a shark. She burst into tears and I left as well. For the rest of Boxing Day I helped Dad set up his apartment. He had everything he needed including a spare room where I could put my gear.

Dad smiled and we talked like old times. Dad knew that I loved him unconditionally and nothing had changed. I decided to head back to Canberra early as I could now drive. I wanted to begin training early. Dad promised to get down to Canberra to watch me play when he could.

-----------

It was a bitter divorce but in the end, a settlement was reached. Dad got to keep the store while Mum got everything else. She then turned around and married Angus Beasley. They actually had the gall to invite me. I threw the invitation in the bin. The weekend they got married I got Dad down to watch me play. By then Paul Williams, my best mate was working for Dad as an Assistant Manager and he could run the store with his eyes closed.

I turned 18 that year and finished school. My Rugby League was taking off and I was in the Raiders reserve grade team. I was now 6 foot 3 inches tall and a muscular 230 pounds. It wasn't long before I was knocking on the door for first grade selection. I made my first grade debut in June that year, in the second row. I was nervous but I had a solid game, I was in awe playing with and against my football heroes.

The Milne family were my surrogate family and I loved them. They were without a doubt my biggest supporters. Dad was proud and now that I was entrenched in the Raiders first grade side he saw me regularly on TV. I was young but everyone in the Canberra Raiders organisation believed I had a bright future and I was stamped as a future representative star.

Paul and Denise got down to see me play throughout the year. They tried to avoid the subject of the Beasley clan but it was hard. At the end of the year I returned home to have Christmas with my Dad. It was a different Christmas than last year but fairly pleasant, we celebrated with the Williams family. At Christmas lunch, Paul and Denise announced their engagement, which made it an even more joyful occasion.

A Christmas card from my Mum was in the letter box when we got back to the apartment. It had obviously been hand delivered; I threw it in the bin. Dad was still coping with the loss of his wife but I tried to take his mind off it and we talked long and hard about the upcoming season. Dad was still more passionate than ever about my football career.

-----------

Why did I help close up that night? I can't say. I was due to drive back to Canberra in the morning and Paul needed to leave early that day. I just thought it would be a nice gesture on my part.

The robbery happened fairly quickly and I was in the backroom packing up some stock when it happened. I came out when I heard the shouting and arguing. There were two of them.

"I said fill the bag old man....."

Why did I know that voice? I quietly crept up. The other guy was nervous and I figured I'd hit him first.

Before I could do that, I heard gun fire and my Dad slumped to the ground. He had been shot!

"Shit...Mr Green I'm sorry..."

I didn't dally any longer and I launched myself at my father's attackers I knocked the first guy down easily. I then got up and charged the man who shot my father. Dad shouted a warning but I didn't hear it in time.

The bullet went through my shoulder, it was red hot searing pain but I was angry and ignored it. I continued on, knocked him down, and started laying into him with my fists. He was stunned but I continued my attack until he was unconscious. I ran to my Dad and called 000. Police and ambulance were on their way.

"I love you Dad, please hold on."

He could only nod; I then heard a noise and turned around. The other robber was getting up and trying to make it to the door.

"Just stay put. I'm leaving." He said pointing the gun at me.

My Dad was nodding his head trying to tell me to let him go but I was just so angry. I gently laid Dad's head down and got up.

"Please just stay there I don't want to hurt you."

I let out a primal cry and charged him. He was scared and the first bullet he fired went into my left knee but I still made it. I grabbed him by the throat and started strangling him. He got off another round, which went in my stomach. I screamed and started bashing his head against the wall. I used all my remaining strength and kept bashing him until he was dead. I then slumped to the floor and the darkness found me.

-----------

I was in a coma for 16 days but I finally awoke. I vaguely remember my Mother peering down at me crying. I gurgled and tried to grab at her but passed out again. I awoke late at night my mind was all over the place and I fell asleep again. I later found out I was on morphine.

The Canberra Raiders were fantastic they flew down the best surgeon available. I had a shoulder and knee reconstruction but my playing days were over. I would be permanently disabled.

Paul and Denise broke the news to me, that my Dad was dead and he had been buried while I was in the coma. I wept bitterly cursing the town and everyone in it but worse was to come. The robbers were people I knew. The man I had killed was Barry Winters, Gary Beasley's friend.

The man who had shot my Dad was none other than my former friend David Fitzsimmons. He was now sitting in jail awaiting trial; I was stunned apparently this was all over money for drugs. In the end he got 20 years jail due to a very liberal judge and a deal done by the lawyers to convict him only for manslaughter.

I was inconsolable. I was determined to complete my rehabilitation and get the hell out of this god forsaken town. Angus and my Mum tried to come as see me as did Jenny and Gary but I refused any contact.

It took 6 weeks until I was able to stand, Tom Milne then pulled some strings to get me to Canberra to complete my recovery. I was never more grateful.

By that time a lawyer had contacted me about Dad's will. I was left everything including the store. All I wanted was Dad's car and some mementos. I asked Paul to take over the store and I would be a silent partner. We agreed to a 60/40 partnership in my favour.

I didn't want any money, because it felt a bit to me like blood money. Instead it would be invested back into the store for expansion plans. I put the Torana in storage and had the Ford freighted to Canberra. The Canberra Raiders club again came to my rescue and organised a medicab flight for me to Canberra from the Stone Ridge airport .

-----------

The rehabilitation was lengthy and painful but I didn't care. By the time I was 20 I could walk with the aid of a cane. My dreams were shattered and I was a bitter man. Paul and Denise kept trying to get me to return to Iron Plain but I refused. My Mum kept trying to contact me but I had no interest in any form of a relationship.

To add to my pain I was sent an engagement invitation for Gary and Jenny. I tore it up and just had to laugh. What a bunch...they could all rot in hell.

The Milne family was my salvation. They loved me unconditionally and helped me with my recovery. In fact, Tom ended up getting me a job with the Raiders as a scout. I enjoyed the work and went all around Australia.

Something was very wrong with me. I had a drinking problem and enjoyed taking risks. I became a degenerate gambler and womaniser; it was starting to affect my work and all aspects of my life. I trusted no one and everyday blamed myself for my Dad's death.

I ran up tabs everywhere and was soon borrowing money to feed my gambling habit. I took money from anyone who would give it to me. Tom Milne finally stepped in. He called me into his office for what I thought was just a routine meeting.

"Hey Tom. What's on the agenda?"

"Rob this is very hard for me and you have put me in a hell of a predicament. I want you to know I have done everything possible for you."

davidpaul
davidpaul
116 Followers