The Santa Barbara Sun Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Si. We are in trouble. The right kind of trouble." He laughed and hugged Maria tighter.

Diane said, "We have ten minutes to get out of here before the wedding party returns. You are sure it is not an imposition for us to stay with you?

Maria grabbed Diane for a tickle. "You are such a bright light in our lives. A children's doctor! How could we be so lucky?"

In the morning, Jeff and Allie tiptoed around randomly sleeping bodies, collecting party debris. Maya and Robin were in the pool, stroking quietly from end to end. Allie waved a finger at them and pointed to the kitchen. After handing out cups of coffee, she said, "Your folks need to leave in a day or two. They are AWOL from their jobs. You should go with them. It is a long shot, but Diane and Ernie think Maya should apply to be an entering graduate student in CS in September! Manuel and Maria agree."

The young ones were so shocked, they could do nothing except hug each other.

Jeff said, "Dad and I talked about it. You should put together a stronger version of the project demo for the interview. Throw in all the formal CS things you can think of. It should be like a senior paper, except in the form of a live narrated demonstration."

Two busy weeks later, Ernie got a call from Desmond Cartright, chair of the Yale Computer Science Department. "Ernie, this is Desmond, do you have time for lunch today?"

"Desmond, I surely do, especially if it has anything to do with the interview."

"Yes it does, but I would rather wait until we see each other face to face to discuss it."

Ernie couldn't concentrate the rest of the morning, and told himself to calm down. It was a nice day, and he walked to the Faculty Club, wondering whether Desmond was just trying to let him down softly as a fellow professor. It wouldn't be surprising, the application was way late.

After they went through the soup and salad line and found seats, Desmond smiled across the table.

"I must tell you that my faculty, especially the youngest ones, are still picking themselves off the floor after that interview! Those two packed a warehouse worth of talent and initiative into the performance. Originally, I was planning on two of my people handling the interview, and very nervous because it is out of sequence. But I respect you, and your son has been doing outstanding work in the undergraduate program. Then Maya and Robin gave us a note asking for a room with advanced computer facilities and word got around. Anyway, about forty faculty and grad students showed up.

"They went nonstop for thirty minutes, and twenty more for questions. Whenever one stopped, the other picked it up. Beautiful images, and exceptional coding. Better yet, they had all the latest design techniques at the tip of their tongues, including the potential pluses and minuses of each one."

Neither of them had had a bite of food, so they were silent for a minute to eat.

"Ernie, they were obviously scared to death, but the intensity and level of intellectual capacity was overwhelming for two people their age."

"One other thing, and don't quote me, because I know it sounds sexist, but to get all that in a Hispanic female who is already the software lead in a startup is amazing!"

Ernie smiled, "Robin can't stop telling me how special and how beautiful she is. Did you learn that his older brother Jeff, who is two years out of Yale Law, just married Maya's close friend and partner in RCS, Allie Jenkins?"

"I'll be damned, this just gets better. The diversity people are going to go bananas."

Ernie looked across the table, "Sounds like you are going to admit her."

"We are going to do better than that, and don't whisper a word of this at home until I work out the details. At our weekly faculty lunch yesterday, one of the assistant profs said the only sensible thing was to grant them both admission to the PhD program in September. Robin has only a few missing CS credits, and we can waive them."

Ernie sat back in his chair and said, "I guess Diane and I, and the Rodrigos, have a challenge to help make this happen for two potential stars."

Desmond put up his hand for a high five and said loudly, "Yes!" Heads turned to look at two excited professors.

"Tell me what I can say to them. They are in a terrific funk, mooning around talking about what a failure their demonstration was."

"What I would like you to do is tell them that I called you with a message that we would like them to attend next week's faculty lunch. That way, we can give them some applause and positive feedback. I may even get the Dean to come by."

"I can add that they wouldn't get an invitation like that if they had failed?"

"Yes. Give them your best noncommittal faculty look and say something about not counting chickens. And mention that I asked that this be kept completely private until the lunch."

Walking back from the club, Ernie called Diane in her office and said, "What about a nooner?"

"What!? You've got to be out of your mind..." Her voice changed and she said, "Where do I meet you? I have office hours at three."

"It's a wonderful day out here. Go to our special bench under the oak tree."

"Public sex? At our age?"

"You'd better be there in ten minutes, or else."

Ernie arrived first and leaned casually against the tree, but Diane snuck up from behind and poked him hard in the ribs. "This is more than sex, isn't it?"

Holding her hand tightly, he said, "You'll never guess what Desmond Cartright told me over lunch."

She kissed him and said, "You're smiling, so it can't be all bad."

"The CS faculty is so impressed by Maya and Robin's work that they are going to offer September admittance to the PhD program to both of them!"

"Oh my god, Ernie, it can't be!" She sagged against him, shaking.

"I'm afraid it is. They are going to be on cloud nine, but think of the hard work that lies ahead."

She stood, "I have to get back. What can we tell them?"

"Not much. Desmond wants to keep it private until next Tuesday's faculty lunch. I am to extend an invitation to the lunch on Desmond's behalf. Tell them I don't have any details, which I really don't except for the bottom line. And we have to help keep the surprise."

Diane laughed, and batted at him. "Maya hates people keeping secrets about her. She will drown me in the pool!"

Later that day, the family was sipping some wine before dinner and Ernie said casually, "I had a call from Desmond Cartright today."

Maya and Robin jerked to attention. "What did he say? Tell us instantly!"

The parents smiled and Ernie said, "He gave me a message for you."

Maya screamed, "You are torturing us!"

"He said to tell you that you are invited to attend the weekly faculty lunch next Tuesday."

"That's all? Nothing else?" Their faces were disappointed.

Ernie waited a minute before suggesting, "Well, I guess it's better than being told no."

Robin whispered, "He's right, Maya. They wouldn't embarrass you by saying no in front of a room full of professors."

"But, but, but..." Her voice trailed off as she buried her head in Robin's chest.

The next days were agony for the two students, but glorious for the two families as the secret leaked out in phone conversations in which everyone was sworn to secrecy. Ernie and Diane did their best to distract Maya and Robin with hikes and social invitations, many of which were turned down. Instead they buried themselves in homework and in design for Gwen's project.

Finally, the great day arrived. When Maya and Robin went to leave for the luncheon, Ernie and Diane had disappeared. Robin said, "I guess they are as scared as we are." Maya asked, "What should I wear? This is so awful."

Robin hugged her. "A dress, not jeans."

She punched him, "I'm going to do my eyes and find my flaming red lipstick!"

He punched her back, "Not!"

They slipped into the room exactly at twelve fifteen, only to find it already full, although the faculty were notorious for not being on time to their own lunch. Trying to find a seat in the back, one of the young professors Robin had played soccer with butt fisted him and said, "Up there in front, creep!"

The two were so nervous they didn't notice Ernie and Diane hiding in a back corner. A few minutes later, Desmond entered, followed by not only the Dean, but the Provost. Everyone rose as Maya and Robin were introduced, visibly nervous.

The Provost began, "Please sit down. I know this is unusual, the Provost invading a faculty lunch!"

After the laughter died, he went on, "Thanks to Desmond, I've had a chance to watch some of the interview from last week." He looked at Maya and Robin and smiled. "Impressive. Very impressive. I understand the Department Chair has invited you today without telling you why. That is terribly cruel treatment, which I'm sure you don't deserve."

The suspense was really awful. Maya could hardly sit her chair. In the back of the room, Diane had her smartphone up and going on video, still unseen.

The Provost and the Dean, both smiling widely, nodded at Desmond.

Still prolonging the suspense, the Chair said, "Maya, we discussed your case at last week's faculty lunch. You present a difficult situation for us, your application coming so late in the admissions cycle. As you know, we receive many highly qualified applications each year."

He paused, and looked around the room. Maya was sure she was going to faint.

"However, the faculty and I are unanimous, on the basis of your strong academic records and your superlative presentation during the interview, in inviting you both to become members of our incoming PhD class in September."

There was total silence for an instant, and then everyone in the room was back on their feet, applauding loudly. Robin and Maya were hugging, tears in their eyes.

A rare moment, thought Ernie, remembering his own more sedate PhD days. They won't forget this for a long time. He leaned for a kiss with Diane, who was frantically trying to capture more video through the sea of bodies.

The Provost offered a congratulatory handshake, and got a hug instead. "Thank you. Thank you!"

His arm around her shoulder, the Provost said, "Don't thank me. Thank this room full of faculty who have decided to take a big bet on your future performance in their program."

After the Dean and Provost left, Desmond said, "I think we should excuse our new students and try to salvage something from our lunch."

Finally catching sight of Robin's parents, the four embraced and made their way out of the building. Maya wiped her eyes again and said softly, "I can't believe it."

Robin said, "I can't believe it, they are letting me skip senior year!"

Diane said, "Let's go home so I can send this video to California. Then we will get everyone on the phone."

Hours later, exhausted by tension relief and joy at their success, Maya and Robin lay on the sofa, snuggled tightly together.

"Mom, if Maya and I are going to be together for years in the PhD program, an accident might happen."

Ernie poked his wife, "Yes, what about that order not to get any ideas?"

Diane sighed loudly, "Oh my god, I'm going to be a grandmother twice over and have babysitting responsibilities on both coasts!"

There was more giggling and poking. Ernie called Gwen and invited the Andersons for a family celebration. His sister insisted on bringing the dinner, saying Diane must be a wreck from all the excitement.

After the dinner conversation slowed, Gwen looked at Maya and Robin. "I would have to clear this with my father, but why don't you consider creating an east coast branch of RCS? We will provide space and support. I know your degree work comes first, but the two of you have so much talent and so much energy, I know you will want to be doing things with your company too."

Holding his hand tightly, Maya said to Robin, "This is our lucky day!"

Chapter 14

They were naked in the pool. Maya was home for the summer after her first graduate student year. Robin was finishing a project for Gwen and would be along in a week or two, along with Ernie, who was delayed by service on a thesis committee.

Maria and Diane were on the sofa by the pool, watching young Alonzo in the water in his mother's arms at three months. They had suits on because they had declared that grandmothers had different standards! This only lasted until Manuel and Ernie showed up.

Maya was on the steps at the end of the pool, soaking up sun. She was three month's pregnant, and not by accident. They didn't know the gender of the baby and weren't going to ask. Maybe Alonzo would have a cousin to grow up with him like a younger sister.

Allie used her hands to paddle around. Baby Alonzo gurgled on her chest and waved his little arms. She thought that all the best things in her life were connected with the infinity pool and its Santa Barbara sun.