The Schooling of the Spell Caster

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Grace patted his leg just as Johnson Peters, the registrar and now a bailiff, standing next to the desk, shouted out for everyone to rise.

"All rise for the honourable Quinten Cuirass, headmaster of the Academy of Adventurer Training, the one true paladin of the One God!"

Chairs scrapped on the slate floor, and everyone stood. Quinten walked behind the desk and sat. The chair was positioned at a height that allowed him to tower over everyone. He picked up a gavel and struck it once.

Johnson spoke again. "This court is now in session. You may sit."

Quinten leaned toward Johnson and said something.

Johnson yelled out. "The defendants will stand."

Amy tried to stand, but Grace tutted at her. She sat back down.

Johnson glared at them as they remained sitting.

Quinten banged his gavel. "The defendants will rise!"

Grace was making a show of examining her nails. Then she looked up in surprise. "Oh, do you mean us? That can't possibly be correct. Defendants? My clients haven't been charged with anything. Nor has any evidence been presented."

Daniel heard a chuckle behind him from the front row, but he didn't dare turn to look. It didn't sound like his friends.

"Silence!" roared Quinten. "The defendants will only speak when asked a question. They will respond to the question with truth. I find your attitude to already be in contempt." His head turned slightly to look at Daniel. "Is this true? Is Grace de Moroingi representing you?"

Daniel nodded. "Yes."

Johnson barked. "The defendants will address the headmaster as 'Your Honour' during these proceedings." Johnson looked a little green.

Daniel cleared his throat. "Yes, your honour."

"As the headmaster of the Adventurer Academy, I have been granted powers by the King of the Realm. It is in my authority to try all who break the rules of the Academy. You are here to answer to multiple crimes. Johnson read the charges."

Johnson looked apologetic to Daniel. He produced a slip of paper and read from it. "Charge One. Assault of Reginald and Ronald Cray with magic. Charge Two. Using witchcraft on school grounds on multiple occasions. Charge Three. Second degree murder of Reginald and Ronald Cray. Charge Four. First degree murder of two legal authorities representing Duke Wilhelm Garcia, namely James and John Garcia, his nephews. Charge Five. Murder in the first degree of Eric Garcia, son of Duke Wilhelm Garcia. Charge Six. Theft of the belongings of Eric Garcia, son of Duke Wilhelm Garcia. This theft also includes the unlawful capture of the spell book of Eric Garcia, which is the rightful property of the Garcia Family."

The audience broke into cries. Shouts were heard calling Daniel and his circle evil. Some people were clapping. A few boos were heard, even a few cheers.

Quinten banged his gavel multiple times until silence returned. "The audience will remain silent, or I will empty the room. Thank you, bailiff. Do the defendants wish to enter a plea?"

Grace remained sitting and looking around the room as if bored. "Not guilty on all counts. I formally declare this court to not be legally binding. All charges are fabrication. I do not recognise your authority in this matter, Quinten Cuirass. This is a travesty."

Quinten smiled down at Grace. "Do you now? Bailiff provide Grace de Moroingi with proof of my authority."

Johnson walked down the small set of stairs from the stage to the floor. He walked over to Grace and handed her a document. Daniel could see a seal on the bottom. Grace read it over and then handed it back to Johnson.

"As you can see," Quinten said. "The King has granted me full authority to try this case and the charges. Do you wish to re-enter a plea?"

"No. That paper has no authority. The King may not delegate his punitive powers in Whitehaven in cases where murder is involved. Only the King's lawyers have that bailiwick as per the charter of the Realm. You have no authority here."

Quinten laughed, the sound jarring in the room. "Sylvan Castigon, please stand."

The room watched a figure rise in the audience. Daniel had missed him before, but there he was, the King's spy master.

"Can you authenticate the document?"

"I can. The King has decreed that because of the very real threat of a spell caster bound to a witch's circle presents to the Realm that they be tried at once. Since they are registered as students at the Academy, the King has no choice but to delegate his authority to Quinten Cuirass for the charges spelled out by the bailiff. He has ordered an ask and discover. This trial is the start of that ask and discover."

"Thank you, you may sit."

Grace was now sitting up. She looked from Sylvan to Duke Garcia to Quinten. "So that's how it is, huh? I warned you Quinten. When you swore to me you would protect Daniel, Amy, Jasmine, and Amber. You've done anything but protect them. You swore to me and broke that oath. Remember that." Grace sat back down.

A murmur broke out over the audience and Quinten looked uncomfortable for a moment.

Quinten banged his gavel. "Prosecution present your case."

Over the next few hours, the two attorneys for Duke Garcia, named simply White and Winner, went through charge after charge. After an hour, Daniel learned to just stay quiet and listen. His rage was simmering as lie after lie was presented. It was beyond ludicrous.

Finally, Grace was allowed to speak. She rose and turned and stared at Duke Wilhelm. "First, this is a farce. I'll come back to charges coming from the use of magic on school grounds. First, I want to speak about Eric Garcia.

"Eric Garcia was a spell caster with some talent. He was a member of my adventurer party, along with Jason Jackson and Brian Bitmyth, seated behind me. Eric was killed pursuing a goal the King laid at our feet. I cannot speak of the mission as I have sworn an oath to the King. Eric died on that mission under mysterious circumstances.

"His body was found by Daniel Davies not far from the meagre farm he ran outside Acron. Daniel had met Eric in the tavern in Acron some months before. He knew he was a spell caster, but not whose son he was. But that doesn't matter. Eric was killed by forces trying to intercept him and claim something from him. The prosecution would have you think a farmer, with no ability or training to fight a spell caster, could overpower him. Think on that for a moment. A complete noob, working a farm, kills a high level, formally trained, exceptionally powerful spell caster.

"Regarding the possessions of Eric Garcia. The Adventurer Laws are oddly specific about possessions, probably because adventurers die all the time. We all know if Duke Garcia had wanted the spell book and the possessions of Eric Garcia, he should have paid the ransom, for that is what is required when a non-adventurer comes into possession of the items from a fallen adventurer. This happens daily in the Realm and there are even law offices that specialise in this practice.

"The Adventurer Laws even contain examples of monetary amounts to be used as suitable compensation. This is to stop people abusing the system. Think of it as a finder's fee. I see one of the duke's attorneys has the volume on Adventurer Law open even now as I speak, so he knows this is the truth. However, no request to pay a ransom was ever made to Daniel Davies while he was a farmer. None. If it had, they would have a copy of the proposal, magically signed and notarised, and bearing the mark or signature of Daniel Davies. It doesn't exist because it never happened. The offer of a ransom could be made and by the laws, he would have to accept if the ransom amount were appropriate. Here, the price would have equalled a dukedom. I doubt Duke Garcia could have paid it.

"But sadly, everything has changed now. Now that Daniel Davies is a student of the Adventurer Academy, he is bound by those adventurer laws in a new way. No longer does he require to hand over the possessions of Eric Garcia. He is registered as an adventurer and as such is beholden to the Laws of Looting. The Laws of Looting are quite clear. For solo kills or solo finds, the individual may claim full asset forfeiture of everything found on a corpse. It is how the weak become stronger in the Realm, with laws to protect that going back hundreds of years. Laws that allowed the humans to stake a claim in the Realm and push back the monsters that emerge from the Wilds."

Grace looked right at Duke Garcia.

"Your son was a rapist who charmed women into his bed. I warned him to not carry such wealth around with him and that fucking spell book. But he loved to show off and flaunt that wealth. In the end, he lost his life, and his wealth with it. Everything Daniel found on Eric's body is his by right. Challenge that and you will challenge all the Adventurers and races in the Realm and beyond. I don't think you really want to do that, hmm?

"But back to Eric's murder. It truly was a murder. Duke Garcia believes a farmer did the deed. This should bring a significant amount of shame to the Garcia family. The man in line to inherit the position of Duke, killed by a peasant." Titters broke out in the room. "But how did he die? No one has spoken of this. Just that he was killed and with no evidence to support their wild claim that Daniel Davies did the deed. But their anger is about the spell book. Why? Because he had the audacity to loot the body? That he buried Eric with honours ensuring his spirit did not rise? What murderer does that? It's a sure way to be haunted to death. We all know this.

"Eric Garcia had enemies. Pick anyone who has had to deal with the Garcia family over the years. There is a lot of hatred there. I myself hated Eric to the core of my being. Why? Because he attempted to charm me once."

Gasps came from the audience, and Duke Garcia roared in anger at the accusation. "You go too far! You break your oath!"

Grace laughed and spoke to the audience. "Duke Garcia had me swear an oath to never speak of it. Problem is, the oath was made 'so long as Eric Garcia lived'. He's dead now. So yes, Eric Garcia committed the heinous crime of trying to charm me for the purpose of raping me. I had more reason to kill him than anyone else in this room. But Duke Garcia is only interested in Daniel, the man who looted his son's corpse.

"I ask you; just how do you kill a high-ranking spell caster? Many in this room know just how hard that can be. Could Daniel do it back then? Absolutely not. Could he now? Absolutely, yes." Grace looked right at the duke when she said that, and he glowered at her. "So how does everyone think he did it? A knife in the back? A club to the head? Isn't anyone curious? How do you kill someone like Eric Garcia?"

Quinten snorted. "He was killed by a falling tree. A blast of magic took out the base, and it toppled on him."

Grace whirled on Quinten. "You think Daniel cast a spell? Targeting the tree? Where would he gain those powers?"

Quinten snorted. "A simple wand. Anyone can use those. Aim at the base of the tree and there you have it."

Grace smiled. "Ah yes. An interesting hypothesis. Take out the tree and let gravity do the work. A simple solution for spell caster shields. I have to ask, though, do paladins always speak the truth? Please clarify Quinten, Paladin of the One God, you spoke truth about the manner of Eric's death?"

Quinten nodded his head. "Of course. Our powers come from such virtues. I cannot lie."

"So you didn't lie when you said a tree was blasted and fell on Eric, hmm? You say this truth with conviction, because you and your One God know it to be true?"

"Of course! Never question my One God and my oaths!"

"Then how do you know he was killed by a falling tree in that manner? Specifically, the part about the tree having been struck by magic?"

Grace grinned at Quinten, who froze in his seat. His mouth opened and closed.

"It was in the reports."

"No. No report was ever made. I was the one who reported Eric's death when I returned to Whitehaven. All I said was he was killed during a mission for the King outside Acron. That a tree fell on him. Nothing more. I swear this on my mother's name, Rhiannon de Moroingi."

Murmurs spread out across the audience.

"It was investigated." Quinten looked around the room, looking for someone. "The signs were there."

"No. The tree that killed Eric was chopped up and burned by Daniel Davies in his farmhouse. It was how he found him. He was out searching for fallen trees to replenish his wood stock. The only people who know the details of how Eric was killed are sitting right beside me.

"So, Quinten Cuirass, paladin of the One God, how did you know Eric was killed by a falling tree, struck by magic at the base? Speak the truth. What is your involvement in Eric's death? I find it strange you have knowledge no one else has."

Quinten looked for Sylvan and found his seat empty. He looked to the back of the room and saw the man leaving by the doors. He looked back at Grace.

The room filled with shouting voices. Quinten hammered the gavel repeatedly, but control was lost. Daniel could see the anger rise quickly within the paladin. He had been warned repeatedly about riling up a paladin. He felt he was about to find out why.

Quinten stood with light pouring from him so bright it hurt to look at. His sword was clear of his scabbard and raised above his head. Daniel had never seen anything so majestic. Righteousness flowed off him and turned everyone speechless. Many cowered. Here was the power of the One God for all to see.

Daniel could see Quinten was about to speak and hated that Quinten was staring right at him. A pressure descended on the room.

"The One God is not amused by your antics, Grace de Moroingi. You disgrace this room with your very presence as a Night Fae half-breed. And siding with witches! It is an abomination! Never suffer a witch to live!" roared Quinten.

Silence dropped hard and heavy at his words.

Then a giggle was heard, and all eyes turned to find the source. Glenda Gables, with her husband Roger Rockstone, walked down the aisle in the middle of the room toward Quinten.

"Hi Quinten," Glenda said, continuing to walk forward. "You've really been a naughty boy, haven't you? Time to lose that glamour. It's really very good, but now I am certain of the source. So remove it, okay?"

Quinten stared in shock at Glenda and said nothing.

"All right. I'll do it." Glenda chanted and waved her hands around. A bright light flew from her hands and exploded over Quinten. Her light consumed the godly light emanating from Quinten and in a blink, both lights vanished.

Everyone stared at Quinten. His armour was heavily rusted and dented. The sword in his hand looked cheap and fragile. The audience gasped. Quinten's face looked pudgy, with zits and sores marking his flesh. Gone was the paladin of the One God. In his place stood an overweight, comely man.

"Behold," declared Glenda. "the paladin of Loki, the Trickster!"

Quinten then laughed. It started small but grew quickly until he sounded insane. He brandished his rusted sword and pointed it at Daniel.

"Enough! I sentence Daniel and his witches to death! I will never suffer a witch to live! The One God demands it!"

Quinten leaped on top of his desk and shrieks of fear came from the audience. Daniel stood and faced Quinten. Daniel's mind couldn't understand what was happening. Quinten glared at him, his laughter bubbling up uncontrolled.

Quinten leaped off the desk, right at Daniel, and thrust his sword forward. So sudden was the move that no one reacted. The audience screamed and Daniel gasped. He looked down and saw Quinten's sword driven into his chest. Quinten's blood-shot eyes bore into his. His eyes danced with triumph, mischief, and glee.

"Mommy?" whispered Daniel, before all strength left him and he collapsed, Quinten pulling the sword out of him. A spray of blood fountained out of his chest. He heard and felt the distress of his ladies through their circle. All around him were screams and crying. He slumped to his side, no longer able to move. He felt so weak and so tired. He struggled to keep his eyes open.

He saw Grace pounce on Quinten. Her arms were blurs as she engaged Quinten. Quinten fought back, still cackling with amusement. Daniel looked over to where Glenda was and saw Roger intercept Duke Wilhelm, who had been moving over to Daniel. A long dagger was held to the throat of the duke.

Daniel looked back at Grace and admired her form. Her fighting was an art. She dodged and twisted, parrying Quinten's sword with her bare hands. She was beautiful to watch. Quinten was leaping about, rust showering off his armour. He was completely outmatched but didn't seem to care. His laughter was haunting.

Grace did something then. She moved faster than his eyes could follow, and a metallic snap was loud in the room. Daniel watched as Grace shattered the sword with a palm. The shards spun away, and Quinten found himself holding just a hilt with a jagged piece of the sword still attached.

Quinten stared at his broken sword, and then all energy seemed to flow out of him. He collapsed to his knees and opened his hand to let the remains of his sword fall to the floor with a clatter. He stared at it, and Grace stopped and looked down at him.

Quinten looked up and Daniel saw his madness. He grinned up at Grace and then leapt away in a strange jilting way. He bounded up to the stage and ran through the side door, his laughter echoing strangely in the corridor until it faded.

Daniel felt the bonds in his circle hammer into him. He rolled on to his back as Amy landed beside him. Her hands reached out just as Jennifer Jousts' hands landed on him. Together they drove healing magic into him. It burned through his body like flames and part of him relished the feeling. The flames coursed through him faster and faster. He heard Jennifer gasp and she let go.

Amber and Jasmine joined Amy and placed their hands on him. The flames burned hotter, and Daniel screamed with the pure pleasure it gave him. He struggled to keep himself aware and reached for his own magic and handed it to Amy.

Her heart took it and her power shifted and amplified it. Daniel felt the flames drive into his wound and for a time, the wound felt like it was being renewed. He could feel the sword penetrating his chest, puncturing a lung, and severing an artery. Amy's magic, combined with the power of the circle, hit the wound with force.

Daniel felt the need to explode with his inner flame. To release it. His whole soul demanded it. He drew his strength to do that when Glenda reached down and touched his forehead.

Daniel's vision faded and then went black.

Fourteen

THE NURSE IN the Academy infirmary checked on Daniel for the fourth time that hour. She couldn't help herself. He was gorgeous. And he needed all those sponge baths, didn't he? To keep that wonderful cock of his clean.

She smiled down at his exposed penis. She wanted to kiss it again. What little precum she had managed to extract had filled her mana pools. This wonderful hunk of man was special. His little harem of witches would return soon, she knew. She had to take every advantage she could while she could. She reached out and touched him, loving the soft feel of his cock. She felt his balls and marvelled at the size of them. She wanted him back in her throat. She grinned, or her pussy.

She heard a noise in the corridor outside and dropped the thin sheet. She grabbed the chart and made a mark on it while glancing toward the door. When she heard nothing, she thought to play with Daniel a little more when a sudden need to leave compelled her and she left the ward.

No sooner had the nurse left, then Gwydion slipped through the doorway and closed it. She put her back to it and stared at Daniel lying in a coma on the bed. She could sense Glenda in him. She had knocked him out. Gwydion had heard what had happened at the mock trial at the Academy. The entire city was talking about it.