The Stuff of Legend Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At 9:00am, Chief Moynahan and I walked out of the gym door and up to the podium. "Good morning, everyone." the Chief said jovially. "Today, I am delegating running this ceremony to Commander Troy. Commander, it's your show." The Chief stepped to the side and sat down next to Chief Emeritus Griswold and Fire Chief Emeritus Gillem as I took the podium.

"Thank you, Chief." I said. "Welcome, everyone, to the Town & County Police Medals and Promotions Ceremony. This is our biggest one in a long time, and we're going to be making some history today. We have decided to proceed without outside speeches in order to give all our honorees their due recognition. So without further ado, let's get started."

"First, let's honor a young lady that showed tremendous courage and leadership during the recent kidnappings crisis." I said, nodding towards Davie Marsdon and Timmy Austin, who were wearing their gold 'Crowbar Crew' medals. I'd had three gold medals made nearly two years before, awarding two of them to Davie and Timmy for helping us get into First Baptist Church and evacuate it. Now the third would be awarded.

Davie went to the 'student section' of elementary schoolchildren who were in attendance, and brought forth Susie Haskins. He escorted her up to us, and Timmy held the small cardboard box, from which I took the medal and draped it around Susie's neck. Everyone cheered loudly, especially the young lungs of Susie's classmates.

I'd offered Cindy the chance to make the presentation, but she said that I should do it, and that she didn't want to get too emotional before her own promotion. Susie was blushing but beaming as she, Davie, and Timmy posed for a couple of pictures. I could see out of the corner of my eye that Cindy was indeed struggling to not get emotional.

I'd said before that Susie would become a nurse, as was Mrs. Veasley before her. What I didn't say then but will say now is that Susie would also follow her friend Davie into Army ROTC in college, and become an Army Reservist. Susie would not only be a nurse, she would lead nurses and medics, and one day Lieutenant Colonel Haskins would rise to command a Medical Service battalion... not unlike Lieutenant Colonel Veasley before her...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Next," I called out as the kids sat down with the other schoolchildren, "we have a special award for a great friend of this Police Department." I called old Mrs. Boddiker, who was sitting with the other old people of the Veasley Community Center. Many were wearing their silver 'Crowbar Crew' medals, but Mrs. Boddiker had donated hers to the Center for a display there. That was okay, as I was doing her one better today.

As Captain Croyle escorted the old lady up to us, I said "Mrs. Boddiker has helped us solve several cases by pointing out or bringing evidence to us, or being a witness for us. One of my first cases here was helped by her observations." (Author's note: 'Case of the Murdered Lovers'.) "More recently, she organized search and rescue teams to look for the kids that went missing. And so, for her years of contributions to the community and help to the Police, it is my honor to make Mrs. Boddiker an Honorary Auxiliary Police Officer."

Teresa had gotten a Police uniform for Mrs. Boddiker, standard dark blue, and while it was a bit big on the old lady's body, she was wearing it proudly as she stood before the assemblage. There were tears flowing from her eyes, and her fellow Community Center members cheered very loudly, as I pinned the silver badge of an Auxiliary Police Officer on her uniform.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Next came ribbons and medals for the Officers. Some had service ribbons with a '6' device awarded, for six years with the TCPD, and some had a '10' device for ten years. Six years was the line where eligibility for Sergeant stripes usually was drawn; ergo, the award of that service ribbon. Ten and twenty years were also celebrated. Also, Mary Mahoney Milton was awarded her Advanced Academy ribbon with gold lamp device for being first in her class at Advanced Course.

There were a number of Achievement Medals, including one for me for "G.P."... general purposes, for solving the Cialis murder and for defeating the Slender Man and rescuing the children. Yep, that was the best I got for doing all that. No Purple Order, no higher medal. But I didn't mind; I preferred my Officers be recognized for their achievements.

Things got a little more serious when I called up Detective Roy McGhillie. The Chief read the proclamation as I pinned the Star of Gallantry upon his uniform, the reward for his actions in rescuing Patrolman Barker during the 'Night of the Cobra', as it had come to be called.

Then came J.R. Barnes and Christina Cho from the CSI/Crime Lab group. They were being awarded medals for their invaluable service to the TCPD.

Retired Captain Briscoe was then awarded his Police Medal, pinned onto his uniform by Chief Emeritus Griswold as Chief Moynahan read the citation. This was one of Chief Griswold's three jobs of the day.

Last but by no means least, came the Purple Order. We had two for this ceremony. Detective McGhillie came back up, and, using crutches, Patrolman Barker came forward. His progress in his rehab on his legs had been slow and had had complications, but he was bound and determined to be here today. I admired his tenacity, and there was a huge ovation for him as he came up. McGhillie was walking alongside him in case he needed some help. He didn't. The Chief read the proclamations as I draped the purple-and-silver ribbons around their necks, then stood back as the applause for them only got stronger...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"And now, it's time for the reason you are all here: the promotions." I said, drawing laughter from the civilians in the crowd. Several Officers, including Johnson, Culver, Statler and Waldorf, were awarded pay grade increases. They received their stripes with extra 'rockers' on top, that they would wear only on formal uniforms.

And then an award that greatly pleased Councilwoman Malinda Adams: Patrol Officer Inga Gundottar was promoted to Corporal, the first since Ronnie Kirkpatrick and only the second since the late Corporal Peter M. Feeley. I felt nostalgic as Teresa (at Inga's request) pinned the metal insignia of two stripes on Corporal Gundottar's collar.

"Next," I said, "we're going to do these promotions simultaneously. Would Myron and Mary Milton please come up." They did so, and after the Chief read their proclamations, they faced each other and pinned the silver Lieutenant bars on each other's shoulders simultaneously. Very touching, I thought to myself, as the Police Force and especially the Detectives applauded loudly for them.

"Next up," I said, "is the promotion for Second Precinct Lieutenant." I called up Micah Rudistan. His girlfriend, a lovely young black woman, came up to pin one of his Lieutenant bars on his shoulders, and I pinned the other one on as the Chief read the proclamation. Rudistan was grinning, and I suspected he was barely refraining from cracking a joke.

I announced the promotion of James 'Curly' Goodwin to Precinct Captain for 1st Precinct. His mother and Chief Moynahan pinned his gold Captain bars on his shoulders. I then announced Lt. Carswell's promotion to Precinct Captain for 2d Precinct. His wife and mother pinned his gold Captain bars on his shoulders, to much acclaim from the large contingent of persons of color in the audience. But they were here to see what was coming next. Chief Moynahan took over the podium.

"And we are honored to-day," intoned the Chief, "to promote Damien Thompson to Captain as our new Public Relations Officer. We would like to celebrate that he is the first person of color to become a full Captain in Town or County Police history."

A long and loud ovation began as Thompson came up, his uniform looking sharper than mine (despite my every effort to match him). His father came up with him as one of the persons to pin the silver Captain bars on him. The other, to the surprise of many, was Chief Emeritus Griswold, who had happily agreed to Thompson's request. Thompson had not said why he'd asked Chief Griswold to do it. And this was the second of Chief Griswold's three jobs at today's ceremonies.

As Chief Moynahan read the proclamation and Damien Thompson made history, I observed his father, who had retired from years of employment with BigAgraFoods, harvesting crops in one of those huge tractors that kids like Davie Marsdon wanted to drive around. And it hit me that he looked familiar. Indeed... Captain Thompson's uncle, his father's brother... was 'The Teacher', the de facto organizer and controller of much of the petty crime in my County.. Hmmm... I might need to remember that for the future, I thought to myself.

We paused for a few moments as extra photos were taken, including one at Thompson's request with me and Chief Griswold flanking him.

"Okay, folks," said Chief Moynahan, "Captain Thompson has agreed to have pictures made with guests over to the side here, and also after the ceremonies. We again recognize his history-making promotion, which he earned through hard work and unswerving ability." Thompson went off to one side to take pictures with Reginald B.F. Lewis and other personages of the black community, acknowledging the continuing applause from the guests and the Press.

"Okay, Commander Troy," said Moynahan,"I bee-lieeve that you are the one to read this next proclamation." I nodded and took the podium.

"Congratulations, Captain Thompson." I said. "Your history-making promotion is well-deserved." After a pause, I said "Our next promotion is to Deputy Chief. Cindy Ross is one of the finest Police Officers I have had the honor to work with, and she very much deserves this recognition." Cindy was coming forward, accompanied by her mother Maggie and Callie Carrington.

There had been Disturbances in the (Police) Force all morning when the male Officers, and perhaps some female Officers, caught sight of Callie. Ms. Carrington was wearing a light blue form-fitting summer dress and matching high heel sandals. Damn, she looked good! thought myself and many other testosterone-fueled men in the audience.

I read the proclamation, managing to get through it without my voice breaking, as the round insignia of silver oak leaves denoting the rank of Commander were pinned on Cindy's shoulders. After hugging her mom and Callie, Cindy surprised me by turning and coming up and hugging me, then getting me into a couple of the pictures being taken as the Chief took over the podium.

"Congratulations, Commander Ross." the Chief said. "I know how hard you have worked to achieve this." He meant not only her Police work, but her going to school and getting her business degree to help qualify for the job.

Then the Chief said "Commander Troy! The promotion of Commander Ross leaves a vacancy... in the Chief of De-tec-tives position. Do you have a plan for that, Mr. Crow-barrrr?"

I caught Rudistan's face breaking into a huge grin, and heard murmurs begin as I took to the microphone to deliver my part of this scripted repartée: "Yes, Chief, I do have a plan for that. Let's meet our new Chief of Detectives, shall we?"

I looked to my right and nodded. Chief Griswold had quietly gone over and stationed himself at the closed door to the gym, finally getting to do his third job of the day. All eyes were on him as he reached for the door handle...

To be continued.

Hmmmm, I wonder who it will be. You've been given the clues needed to figure it out...