The Way Back Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Let's have her in then. You can tell her the details when we're gone."

Geoff pressed the intercom. "Judy, would you come in please?"

I stood as she entered the room and she smiled at my politeness.

"Judy. Can you promise not to let anything go out of this room of what we reveal to you?" Geoff asked.

"Yes of course Geoff."

I spoke. "Hello, Judy. I'm back."

I was getting used to the reactions of various people. It amused me. This time she looked at me for a long time and shrugged.

"You don't know me, and for a different reason I don't know you, but I believe we knew each other two and a half years ago. Until I disappeared."

I waited while the statement went home.

"Allan?" she whispered, her eyes wide. Her next reaction was totally unexpected. She fainted away.

I, being the only one standing, leapt forward and caught her as she fell, falling to my knees in the process. It was excruciatingly painful but I stopped her hitting the floor and held her in my arms. The other two had sprung to their feet but I held on to her while they stood round us, a strange tableau.

Then she began to come round. Her eyes opened and she realised that I had her in my arms on the floor. She struggled to get up.

"No Judy, just lie here a few moments. Take it slowly," I said softly.

Her eyes darted over my face and I saw the tell-tale flashes of unbelief, horror and pity.

"W-w-hat?" was all she could get out.

"It's me, Judy. As you can see I've been in a bit of trouble. Geoff will tell you the whole story. Some men mugged me and tried to kill me. As you can see, they made a thorough job of my face."

She reached up and stroked my face.

"Oh, you poor, poor man," was all she said, her eyes filling with tears.

Then she began to get up and David helped her to a chair. I remained where I was. My knees were hurting me badly and I hoped I had not damaged them further. Geoff noticed and helped me to stand. I tested them and the pain did not increase. I sat in another chair.

Geoff and David then told her the story between them, each filling in gaps for the other. She sat transfixed. I massaged my knees.

"Three years?" she asked, "and no one came looking for you? I don't believe it. There was no woman?"

I shook my head. "Not that I know of. Judy, it's important to me that no one beyond a few trusted friends knows I'm back. It mustn't get back to Ann, for reasons Geoff will explain to you."

"So how do we explain your presence here?" she asked, echoing Geoff's thought. A good question.

Geoff thought. "You could be a consultant. Someone I've brought in to assist me because you're gone, Allan. Len Jones. How's that?"

I wrote the name down. "Won't do to forget my own name, will it?" I laughed. "Why Len?"

"If I forget myself and call you Allan, it sounds near enough."

I nodded; this man was clever.

"It must be very strange for you," said Judy.

"It's frustrating to know I had a life of nearly forty years, all those experiences and I can't remember any of them. Not yet, anyhow."

"You know," Geoff reflected, "Ann hasn't been here for nigh on half a year. We got a Christmas Card but no special message. She's not told us her new address."

"Perhaps she feels guilty," David offered. "I have her address."

The conversation lapsed.

"OK, Geoff," I said, breaking the thoughtful silence that had descended, "Let's get to business."

Judy took the cue and stood to leave. I stood also and she smiled.

"You were always the perfect gentleman, Len," she said. Then, "If I may take a liberty."

She came across and kissed me on both damaged cheeks. "Welcome home, Len. You've no idea how happy I am to see you again," then she left.

"Lucky bugger," muttered Geoff with a grin, "More than I ever got! Now to the job in hand."

We talked about the latest challenge from Ann and Derek and I agreed that if necessary I would blow my cover to keep control of the company.

Geoff had really taken to heart my lack of memory and proceeded to take me round the factory, introducing me as a new consultant to all the work people, none of whom I remembered. He explained what they were doing, and when we got back to the office he went through all the orders and research we were doing. It was only when he began to talk science and technology, using specialist terms, that I realised I understood everything he was saying. My heart leapt. I was really back!

David had gone back to his own office in Sale; it was after all a working week and he was busy. Geoff offered to take me back to the hotel and I gratefully accepted.

Once back I settled to listen again to David's and Viv's exposition of my life and situation. I had had the Dictaphone running during the morning meeting with Geoff, and listened to that as well. Then I did it all over again until eventually I heard the car arrive, and Trish burst into the room with an armful of bags.

She'd bought me a collection of clothes, most of which I thought I could wear without too much embarrassment. She tried on her stuff and I approved of it all; how could I not? I liked her choice of lingerie especially. She had a knack of choosing knickers that were comfortable as well as sexy.

We came to the end of her undressing and dressing, and lay down for a nap. Trish actually read a novel while I slept. The activities of those two days had really got to me.

David called in while we were eating dinner with some documents for me to sign and I signed at the table without reading any of it. He gave me a folder with bank details, a debit card, its PIN and other things with which I would need to deal, and left hurriedly, assuring me he would phone if he needed anything else from me.

That night, Trish and I watched TV from the bed, and hugged before turning the lights out and going to sleep. We were both too tired for sex. The next day we left for Newcastle which until recently was the only life I knew.