There Must Be A Mistake Ch. 24

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

My friend's wife sprained her ankle. She slipped and fell, after the rain, and we had to carry her. That is what slowed us down. I have the bus conductor's area pass to prove I am telling the truth."

"Let me see it."

Paul took it out of his breast pocket and handed it to the police officer.

The officer returned to his car, and used his radio to verify our story. Then he walked back towards them, but did not return the pass to Paul.

"The bus missed its next checkpoint. We thought it had been robbed. We were on our way to see if there were any survivors. How far up the road is it?"

"How far are we from the town?"

"You are less than 1 km away."

"The bus is 50 km that way."

"You walked 50 km?"

"Did you expect the gringos to do it?"

The officer laughed, "No, I guess not. The doctor is waiting for you in town."

The three officers got back into their car and drove towards the disabled bus.

Rory and Paul started walking when Lucy yelled, "What about me? Pick me up boys, chop-chop. I have to look injured."

What they said to her could not be used in polite company.

**************

Lucille was used as a scapegoat again the next morning. This time she had severe cramps, and could not possibly continue the trip.

They took a cab back to Lima, where all hell was breaking loose. The news of President Toledo's assassination was all over the media. Since it happened in the middle of cocaine country, the cartels were being blamed.

The cartels said it wasn't their doing. They said it was General Antonio De La Fernando Rios, attempting to take over the nation in a military coup.

General Rios said to the press, "If I was trying to take over the country, I would be in Lima in front of the National Assembly Building, and the Presidential Palace. I'm in the jungle fighting the cartels trying to get rid of the people who are trying to make our country the drug capital of the world."

Finger pointing was everywhere. The National Assembly was called into session to form a new government. New elections would be scheduled as soon as a temporary head of state was appointed.

The television commentator added, "One of our president's guests, William Silver, the former vice president of the United States, was accidentally killed during the assassination of our president. The bullet went through President Toledo's body, and hit Mr. Silver killing him."

*****************

Paul called the Colonel.

"Hello sir, it's me."

"Hell of a shot Paul; in one ear out the other; and right through the bastard's throat. I wish I was there to see it."

"I did see it sir, and I still don't believe it. I will tell you all about it when we get home. Where am I going now?"

"Temple Texas my boy; you deserve a rest. Rent a private jet to Austin, Texas, and come straight home."

"We are on our way sir."

"Lucille, Rory, it's time to buy some new clothes. We are to go home in style."

Lucille asked, "What about our tickets?"

"If you want to go home by coach, you go right ahead. Rory and I are going home on a private jet."

"Fuck the tickets; I'm going home with you guys."

"Remember, you must look the part of a well-heeled traveler. It's all on the boss."

Paul was never married. He never learned the lesson of telling a woman she has carte blanche to shop. When they met at the airport at 12 o'clock the next day, he wondered if the Colonel was going to kill him.

Lucille was gold from the tips of her hair, to the tips of her pointed shoes. Her hair was styled phenomenally, with flakes of gold filtered into it. Her nails were white with flakes of gold. Her eyes were lined with black and gold highlights. Her dress, what there was of it, was white and gold, with a wide white belt, and a huge gold buckle. He knew she was not wearing a bra, because her nipples were clearly visible. He would bet a year's salary her panties were gold; if she was wearing any, under that piece of spandex she called a dress.

Rory's mouth was stuck in the open position. Paul tried to close it twice, but it kept opening, because his jaw muscles were slack.

Finally, Paul yelled, "RORY, your cock is on the floor."

That got through to Rory's brain. He reached for his zipper. He looked at Paul and asked, "Did I make that much of a fool of myself?"

"Rory, you and every other red-blooded male in the terminal had his mouth open."

Lucille tilted her head a little and asked, "Do I look that hot boys?"

Paul smiled. "Did the Colonel remind you that when we get back I'm in charge of training?"

"You're lying."

"The Colonel was a Lieutenant when I enlisted the Army. I've been with him ever since. He inhales, and I exhale for him. Does that answer your question?"

"I'm going to enjoy today and tomorrow, because when I go back to work, I think you're going to kill me."

"I have never killed any of my people, because death is the easy way out. I believe in suffering. Suffering means you come back to me the next day and suffer again, and again, and again. Ask the Colonel, he taught me by using that training method. I have used it on more than 10,000 recruits in my time with the Army. Now I have the opportunity to do it with 297 agents who will get to know me intimately. It's time to board our aircraft children. I understand the champagne on board is the finest. Just remember the day after tomorrow, we start training."

Lucille's smile and enthusiasm were 'Gone with the Wind.'

Paul smiled all the way to the aircraft. When Lucy couldn't see him, he winked at Rory.

On the six-hour flight from Lima, Peru to Austin, Texas, both men gorged themselves on the wonderful prawn appetizers, gourmet meal, and expensive champagne.

Lucille picked at her food, and drank water.

*****************

After they landed at Austin, and were congratulated on a job extremely well done, Lucy asked the Colonel if Paul was going to be the training instructor.

"No, Paul is going to be in charge of special operations, like the one you were on. He's too valuable an asset to waste as a training instructor."

Lucy dropped her purse and Paul took off running.

Paul had a distinct advantage. He was wearing shoes. Lucy was wearing 'Fuck Me Heels.'

Lucius asked Rory what was going on.

After hearing the story, Lucius started to laugh. He hadn't laughed since Margaret died, and it felt good.

When they were close enough, he yelled, "ATTENTION!"

Paul stopped instantly, and braced, ramrod straight.

Lucy couldn't stop, because of her heels. She ran into Paul's back, but he didn't move. She stepped back and assumed the position.

"REST."

"Are you finished Miss Ball?"

"Do you know what that son of a bitch did to me sir?"

"Are you of legal age Miss Ball?"

"Yes sir."

"Are you able to make decisions on your own?"

"Yes sir."

"Do you believe everything you read, see, or are told?"

"No sir."

"Then whose fault was it that you did not enjoy your flight home?"

"It was my fault sir."

"Are we ready to proceed back to the NEST?"

"Yes sir."

"Excellent, you can ride with Paul. He has a lot to teach you, because I trained him."

"Thank you very much sir. Can I kill him on the way?"

"I could give you a rocket propelled grenade, with a 10 second head start. You could not pull the trigger before he killed you."

"That's not possible."

"He saved my life, in the Balkans, doing it. Paul, you are bunking with me tonight, which is nothing unusual. I have to hear about that shot."

"Yes sir."

"You two have your own domiciles. You will be driven straight there. Come to the main building at 2 PM, and we will straighten out your finances. Let's move out."

"One more thing; you two were on vacation. You will not talk about this little adventure at all. Am I clear about this?"

"Yes sir, very clear."

***************

117. Fast-forward

(I am jumping forward, at this point, to late April. Work is still continuing at a frenetic pace on the spacecraft, but there have been no major hurdles to overcome. With the former vice president out of the way permanently, and no more fears of being attacked from outside, everyone's attention was now focused on the spacecraft itself. What else could possibly go wrong?)

Security had not dropped off one bit with the probability of an attack taken off the table. However, every time Dan looked at the shelf across his office, he would see Margaret's ashes sitting there. He not only got angry with himself, he got angry at the entire world. He would push the red panic button, with his knee, at least twice a week, which sent agents running to their security positions.

After months of this aggravation, and hearing about it from everyone on the security staff, Lucius had to take action.

His first problem was to get help from the computer department. He went there, and told them he needed Dan's offices to look empty, while someone was in there taking care of the alarm system.

They happily agreed.

His second problem was only two people had a key to Dan's office, and he was one of them. That would make him the obvious subject of an investigation. He had to be somewhere where he could be vouched for and who better to vouch for where he was, then Dan himself.

Problem number three was where could he be sure to have Dan by his side for a long enough period of time to make sure this operation was a success?

"Operation!" Accident, Doctor, HOSPITAL! What a perfect set up. Now all he had to do was put the pieces together and put everything into action.

***********

"Doctor Finch please, Colonel Lucius Canyon calling."

"Hello Lucius what's up?"

"Hello Joe, I need you to put me in the hospital overnight. What type accident should I have?"

"Who are you screwing with this time?"

"The same as always; Dan."

"What is it with you two?"

"It's a hate love relationship. We hate to love each other."

"You guys are insane."

"We've known that for over 30 years Joe, ever since he got me kicked out of the Army. Now what kind of accident should I get into?"

"The shoulder is always good, but the knee is better. What time should I expect you?"

"What hours are you working in the next 3 to 6 weeks? I don't want to keep you at work any longer than necessary."

"Like I have someplace to go, right?"

"You will in December."

"Only if my girls want to go, otherwise I'm staying here."

"We agreed on that, but one way or the other, those two little girls are going to be with you, until they leave your nest."

"I'm not even going to ask you how you are going to pull that off, but I wish you'd put that on tape for me to see."

"You can read about it in the papers. It will be too late at night to take good pictures."

"I start working 6 PM to 6 AM Thursday through Monday, for the next two month rotation, if that helps you any."

"That will be perfect. I should arrive there about 6:45, three weeks from Thursday. Put it on your calendar, I don't want to surprise you when we walk in. Have a great day, and keep your chin up, it's not that long anymore."

"Thanks Lucius, I'll see you in three weeks."

"You still have not given me a picture of your wife."

"That's because I burned them all. I'll have one for you soon."

"I need it very soon Joe. I have to put my plan in action, so you can get your kids by Thanksgiving."

"Thanksgiving, I thought you said Christmas."

"You have to give the girls some time to think about it, don't you? Your wife will be going to jail, so they may want to stay here, rather than going into space. You are already a wealthy man, because you saved Margaret, we keep our word."

"I'm wealthy; where is the money?

"When was the last time you looked at your savings account?"

"I don't look at my savings account, it's depressing. She took everything from it."

"I don't think so. If I were you, I would take another look. Don't forget to declare it on your income tax; I don't want you to wind up in jail with your wife. If you decide to come with us, make sure your parents are listed on those accounts. I'll see you in three weeks, you better treat me nice."

****************

Making sure everything would look normal when the day came; Lucius started a hand-to-hand combat school in the main building. It ran from 4PM to 7 PM seven days a week. This was not a voluntary item, this was obligatory training, which every agent had to attend at least twice a week, or at least that is what Dan was led to believe.

Lookouts were posted everywhere. At the sight of Dan leaving his office, four teams would begin training. The most skilled members of the security force refereed each match, and yelled instructions to both combatants. When Dan was in the room with them, he was very impressed with Lucius' program.

Everyone was prepared for that Thursday evening, when the signal was given that Dan was on his way. Lucius was on the far side of the room, supervising a match, when he saw Dan walk into the room. He waved and began jogging over to him. With the choreography of the Bolshoi ballet, two combatants fell towards Lucius right leg. He fell to the ground holding his knee, and screaming in pain.

Paul was over him in a second, telling him not to move. He quickly puts drops of 'Liquid Tears', which he bought at a local drugstore, into Lucius's eyes.

Dan got there and saw tears on Lucius's face. He had never seen this before, not even when Lucius had been shot in battle.

"How are you Lucius?"

"Danny get me to the hospital, my knee doesn't feel right."

"Get him into a splint, and get the cars ready to take him."

Lucius said, "Paul, you are ranking man; you have to stay here."

"Sir, pick someone else, I want to go with you."

"Sergeant, follow your orders."

"Yes sir, but I don't like them one bit."

"I'll see you in a few hours Paul."

"Yes sir."

As soon as the cars were on their way to the hospital, Paul raced up to General Morgan's office. He stuck the key in the door, unlocked it, and turned the handle to be sure it would open. Then he said, "READY," into his headset, and waited.

From the computer room the supervisor said, "GO!"

Paul walked carefully into the office, looking for anything the general may have left behind as a 'TELL.' He didn't see a string, a hair, or a piece of paper on the floor, or out of place. He marked the position of the wheels on the general's chair with small pieces of tape, and then moved it away. He moved under the desk, used a small electric screwdriver to take off the security alarm button. He dismantled it quickly; then spread a tiny amount of a non-conductive paste over both sides of the four contact points, rendering them useless. He wiped off the excess, put the alarm button back together, and secured it to the sidewall of the desk. He checked the floor to make sure there was no evidence he had been there, and backed out slowly. He moved to the general's chair to the tape marks, removed the tape, and took one more look around.

He saw it as he moved to the left of the general's desk. The son of a bitch doesn't trust his own people. He waved into the security camera.

"We have a problem; get up here."

The supervisor was there in a minute.

"What's wrong Paul?"

Paul pointed to the little red light behind Margaret's ashes.

"That sneaky son of a bitch."

"Do you think there may be more?"

"There may be, but there is one good way to kill most of them, with one shot." He took out his cell phone and called his office. "Sylvia, we have a problem. Bring up the Electronic Magnetic Amplifiers; we are going hunting."

***********************

They carried Lucius into the emergency room, and all he was doing was complaining.

"Leave me alone, I can walk."

Doctor Finch walked out from behind a curtain and laughed.

"Did you finally get even with him General?"

"Doc, I wish I could say it was me, but it wasn't. It was a training accident."

"In other words, you threw him off the roof of the building without a parachute."

"Honest Doctor, two men were practicing hand-to-hand combat, and they fell on his leg. Do you need help cutting it off?"

"He is so small we can use a penknife."

"Are you two finished yet? I'll go home now and take an aspirin."

"Before you go Colonel, can I see you walk?"

"As long as you let me go home, I'll dance for you."

Lucius took one-step forward, and fell on his face.

Doctor Finch laughed. "How was the landing Colonel, because the fall was flawless."

"When I get to you Doctor, I'm going to bite your shoes."

"Tim get me a gurney, Gail strip him, and let me look at that knee."

"Gentlemen, you know the drill. Sit down; this is going to take some time."

They put Lucius into an examining room, closed the curtain, took off his clothes, and put him into a gown. They filled out all the perfunctory forms, until Doctor Finch walked in.

"Gail, we are going to be part of a performance that is being put on for the benefit of General Morgan. Help me along here if you would please."

"No problem Doctor, I failed acting in high school."

"In that case you will do wonderfully here."

"Holy cow Lucius, look at the size of that thing."

"I don't think it's that big."

"Gail what do you think?"

"I've seen a few bigger, but not many. I think that thing is huge."

"Gail, you're looking at the wrong thing. I'm talking about this thing."

"That thing is ugly. I'd rather look at the other thing."

"Keep your mind on your work young lady."

"I'd rather she keep thinking about what I'm thinking about doc."

"If she was 12 inches away from you Lucius, you couldn't get to her."

"He could with that thing Doctor, but not the other thing."

"If you keep talking like that young woman, you are going to lose your raise."

"He is already giving me a raise Doctor, a really big raise."

"Lucius get your hand out from under her uniform."

"I'm just trying to keep my mind off the pain."

"Take him to x-ray, and stay out of the room, unless there is someone else with you."

"That's not fair Doctor. You don't mind when we're in that room alone."

"That's different, I'm only examining you."

"Three times a night."

"I'm doing a study."

"I don't mind the first two parts of the study. It's the third one that hurts."

"Why didn't you say so? I'll change your position. Instead of doing it to you while you're on your knees, I'll put you on your back with your knees over my shoulders. When I insert my tester into your colon it might not hurt so much."

"That is extremely kind of you Doctor. I'd like to try it that way with Mister Canyon."

"I wouldn't mind filming your posterior for posterity."

Lucius said, "It's possible that you two are the worst actors I've ever met. A great medical team possibly, but you can't act."

"Would you like to hear us sing?"

"I'll pass, if you don't mind."

"Off to x-ray you go."

"Have fun with him Gail."

As he entered the waiting area, Dan jumped on Doctor Finch.

"What the hell was going on in their Doctor?"

"What do you mean General?"

"It sounded like you were having a smoker in there."

"You must be mistaken. I was in there with Lucius alone most of the time, and that knee is in bad shape. If the scans show what I believe they are going to show, he's got three meniscus tears and possibly a year or more of physical therapy ahead of him. What the hell goes on over there? You sure believe in keeping your people in top shape, but it sure is taking a toll on them. How old is Lucius now, 70, or 71. I didn't count all the bullet wounds, but there has to be eight or nine of those. The jagged marks on his legs must to come from barbed wire, shrapnel, hand grenades, or mines.