Unwelcome

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Nothing. Poor Pam was at the farm when it happened and heard the shot, but of course she knew nothing until police cars came from everywhere and converged just...well within a couple of hundred feet from their driveway."

"But why would anybody shoot her? They don't even live at that damn farm anymore."

"I wonder if everybody was aware of that fact though."

"Just before we left Miami, she told Ben that she needed to get out of Sparta."

"I know, it's like she sensed something bad, but I'm sure she never felt that she was in danger."

"I don't know what to ask or say, or what to do."

"Just do what you can for Ben and stay close to a phone where one of us can reach you. I'm at the farm now with Pam, and Jean, and the others are on their way here. If we can learn anything at all, we'll be in touch."

"I'll stay with Ben at least until we know more about what to do or where to be."

"Thanks Jenny," and the call ended.

"Come with me Ben. I'm taking you home and we can get your car later."

"I'll drive," I managed to mumble.

"You will not. You'd end up crashing Ben, because you're in no condition to concentrate on Nashville traffic. If there ever is a time you'd listen to me Ben, make it this time."

"But my car."

"We'll get it later, now let's go so we can get to your place and make some calls."

I remember making the drive to Hendersonville, and I remember Jenny and me talking, but not what we talked about.

As soon as we were in my condo, Jenny called Ted where he worked and gave him the bad news. A minute later it was decided that Dee would stop for the car keys and the parking stub, and they would retrieve my car. Then we sat and held on to each other while we waited for more news from Mary or any of Ellie's friends.

Dee and Ted arrived just after five and they headed to Nashville for my car, but still no news came from Sparta, but Detective Unger called. "Detective," Jenny said, "I'm Jenny, Ben's secretary. I have the phone on speaker and Ben is right here."

"Thank you. Ben, I can't tell you how sorry I am about this tragedy."

"What the hell happened," I said more forcefully than I intended.

"Ben, we just don't know a lot right now. Jenny, are you still right there?"

"I am."

"Okay. Ellie was shot one time by a high power rifle. We're not certain where the shot came from or even the caliber, but we will know by the end of tomorrow. Our feet have barely touched the ground on this Ben, but you can bet everything that we will get to the bottom of what happened and why. We have theories, but they mean nothing unless the facts support one of them. Do you still have my card Ben?"

"Yes, in my office."

"Keep it close by, but I promise you we will keep you posted as much as possible."

"Mary and the others, all of Ellie's best friends. Please don't cut them off. They were all very close."

"I understand Ben."

My world had crashed around me, but I was starting to think again so I asked him, "You do think there is a connection to the farm, don't you?"

"We do, but at this point that's speculation Ben. We...all of us that have been involved in the farm, are missing something, but we won't stop until we have it nailed down."

"Thank you for calling," Jenny told him.

"Sorry we don't have more information for you, but we will have."

So began our long wait. Ted and Dee returned with my car and put it in the garage, and they stayed with me and Jenny until nearly midnight when I finally, with the help of a couple of pills, fell into bed with Jenny joining me soon after that.

I stirred and got up just before nine and found Jenny sitting in the kitchen sipping coffee and staring at nothing in particular. "Ben, I called Hugh and gave him the bad news, so he doesn't expect to see either of us for a couple of days. Sherri is covering for me. Oh, and Frank said to tell you that he's there for you if there is any way he can be of help."

"Thanks," and I poured coffee and dropped into the nearest chair. I tasted my coffee and then said, "Jenny, I'm going to the office."

"Ben, that can wait."

"I can't sit here and go crazy. At least there I can keep my mind busy."

"We both know you won't get much done."

"At least I'll be doing something, where staying here all I'll do is pace and drive both of us crazy with questions that have no answers."

"If you don't mind I'll stay here in case somebody calls this number."

"That would be great."

"Tell Hugh that I'll be there tomorrow. And Ben, I won't be here when you get home."

"Why not?"

"Because it wouldn't be right. You need time to grieve and to think without me distracting you, and I need time for the same reasons."

"I'll tell Hugh that you'll be in tomorrow," and leaving my coffee untouched I went to my bedroom to dress.

Chapter Fifty

On Thursday, except for a brief meeting in my office with Hugh and Frank, I stayed in emotional lockdown until just before one when I went out to tell Jenny that I was going to lunch. Out of habit more than anything else, I grabbed my sport coat and went out to find Sherri sitting at Jenny's desk. "Sherri, where's Jenny?"

"I don't know. Hugh called me last night to cover for her. Though a few minutes late this morning, here I am."

I changed direction and went to Hugh's office, said hi to Annie, his secretary, and then tapped on the door to his office and went in. "Going for lunch, but where is Jenny?"

"She's off Ben. She requested thirty days unpaid, so as long as Sherri can cover I told her okay. Don't ask questions okay Ben? She requested that I withhold more information, so I have to respect that request."

"But damn...okay, never mind."

"Ben, I will tell you this much. She told me that it's for personal reasons and not because of what happened to Ellie."

"Thanks for that much. I think Jenny has had it with all of this drama that seems to cling to me like bad fog. With her being a good friend and close to Ellie, I guess it was just too much to deal with. I just wish she would have said something to me."

"Ben, it could be that something happened with her family last night. I'm sure she does have a life beyond her job and her friends."

"Point taken. Okay I'll be back," and I left.

Losing Jenny on top of losing Ellie was almost more than I could handle, but I was at my desk Thursday morning and again Friday morning. I showered in the mornings, and ate and drank in the restaurant before going home at the end of the day where I buried myself in non-essential work details until bedtime. I was saved from myself when I pulled into my driveway and found Pam and Mary waiting for me. I found it strange that soft spoken and reserved Mary would pair with bold and daring Pam, but there they were. I abandoned my car in the driveway and joined them at the front door where we shared long embraces and traded soft words. The three of us went in and I made coffee, because I'd had about one too many drinks at the restaurant.

The three of us went to the living room with our coffee and I sat in the corner chair still holding my steaming black brew. "How have you two been getting along," I asked them.

"Okay," Mary offered

"Ben, we wanted to come see you, but we were going to wait until tomorrow, but we have just a little more news. It's about the farm Ben." She consulted her watch and then said, "About five hours ago they found another body. Of course we don't know who, but how is it possible that the rumor of a third victim was true?" Then before I could ask a question she told me, "It was very close to where the others were found. Maybe ten feet farther to the right."

"But Ben," Mary said, "Vicky occasionally writes articles for the Sparta Expositor and she's hearing things like there is more than one more guilty party yet to be exposed."

"But still nothing on why they shot Ellie."

"Nothing, but that doesn't mean they know nothing."

"I know, but damn it, to shoot a helpless woman who has no more connection to the town or the farm...I just don't get it."

"Well of course she was to testify against Ennis."

"I know, but I thought that case was all so obvious that they might not even need her testimony."

"I'm sure the prosecutor wanted her to testify Ben. You almost never hear of a slam dunk case against anybody. Thinking like that is a good way to lose in court."

"I guess. How is everybody else in Sparta? Roger and Fran doing okay?"

"I haven't talked to them in awhile, but as far as I know, they're fine. Vicki wanted to come with us, but she couldn't get away."

"And Jean?"

Mary smiled and said, "Jean is always okay."

"As independent as she is, I'm not surprised to hear you say that."

"That's Jean, independent. How is Jenny?"

I looked at my still nearly full cup and said, "I don't know."

"But...what happened after Miami?"

I looked up and then it dawned on me that of course they knew about that, because Ellie had spent the weekend in Sparta. "Well yesterday, I learned from my boss that she is on a requested leave of absence."

"But..."

"I don't know. She said nothing to me or anybody else except my boss and he can't talk about personnel issues."

"Oh Ben, that's too bad."

"I know it has to be on your mind so I want to say this. Jenny is a wonderful woman and I care for her. But I did not invite her to join me in Miami. Also you have to wonder why I didn't ask Ellie to go with me. It was my plan to spend a few hours enjoying the sun, but for the most part I was going to study and mingle with other attendees ahead of the conference. It's my fault that Ellie is dead, because had I asked her to go with me, she'd be alive now."

"Ben," Pam said, "You can't know that. If whoever is guilty of killing her was intent on doing that, it would have happened. There or here or maybe later, but we may never know the answer to that."

"Still, what Jenny and I did was wrong. She wanted to share in the sun and sand, and of course I was happy to see her there. We didn't make love until the last night we were there, and that was something that she and Ellie talked about that evening."

"So Ellie knew you two would make love."

"I don't blame either of you for not believing that."

"I do believe it Ben."

"I do too," Mary added.

"Damn I'm glad you two appeared at my door."

Chapter Fifty One

Ted and Dee were back Saturday and emotionally held my hand and kept my mind occupied. The phone rang again and again, and each time Dee would talk to whoever it was and take their message.

I spent the next week hiding in my work and glad when the day was done. I tried hard to avoid the memories of yesterdays and refused to think about tomorrow. It was all about the moment that I was in.

Then Thursday evening Vicky called me and said, "Ben, I've just read a news release. There's been another arrest."

"Who, or would I know him?"

"Oh you know him, it's Noah."

"Old man Noah?"

"Ben, he may be old, but he's sharp, hale and hearty. It was Noah that operated the tractor when they buried the bodies and the other items, not Ennis. After things settled down, Noah was going to get that very expensive tractor as payment."

"That's unbelievable. So was he in on the murders and the drug dealing?"

"Well that's not in the release, so who knows. Right now he's being held on aiding and abetting the commission of three murders."

"Holy shit. Thanks for calling me Vicky."

"This sure is a long way from that awesome Halloween party isn't it Ben."

"That seems like a previous life to me now."

"I'm sure. Ben, what I'm going to say is obvious, but I'll just say it as a reminder. Things will get better. You hurt now and you will hurt, but..."

"But we'll survive and move on. I know Vicky and thanks. Though that seems impossible right now, it is good to be reminded of that."

The weekend, for whatever reason seemed to be my lowest point. I thought it would never end, but even though others called, I dodged all invitations and hid, suffered and paced. I talked to myself and I cried more. Monday morning felt like a gift to me until Hugh called me to his office. "Ben, Jenny contacted me and told me she had to resign. She won't be back, Ben. I just wanted to tell you that away from Frank. Sherri will continue full time."

I took a deep breath and worked hard to hide any strong reaction. "Well," I said, "I will really miss her."

"We all will. That's all I have. Do you need to use some vacation time Ben?"

"No, I'm making it, but thanks."

"And the meeting in Atlanta in two weeks?"

"I'll be ready Hugh."

"Okay," Hugh said, and I went back to my office.

Saturday was the funeral, and Ted and Dee rode with me to Sparta. I got to see my Ellie one last time and I fell apart. I settled down enough that I was left alone with her. I may have talked to her, but I don't remember that. I just sat next to her and leaned against the casket with my eyes closed. I'd met what family she had in the area, and I saw them again plus all of her friends, and sadly, some self proclaimed friends that were there just because of the notoriety of her death.

Pam and Corey stood with me for several minutes and then Mary stayed next to me with her arm around me. We talked very little, but we didn't let go of each other for some time, and a couple of times she turned and held me close to her. Then Dee did much the same for me. Very little conversation, but frequently I would feel her arm tighten around my waist a little and she would look up at me. Not smiling, but it was like she was reminding me that the agony of the funeral would be over soon and then the real healing could begin.

Then Sally and Hank walked up to me and after paying their respects, Hank slipped away and Sally stayed with me for another minute before she said, "Can I offer a suggestion Ben?"

"Of course."

"Let's go to the little break room for family. You need to sit down and have some coffee or something. You look exhausted and there's almost another hour to go."

"I guess you're right," so with her arm around my waist she guided me to the little quiet room and she served the coffee before stepping behind me. "Lean forward and relax as much as you can and close your eyes." Then I felt her hands gently work on my neck and shoulders as she spoke softly. "Your muscles are like bow strings, Ben. Take a nice slow deep breath and then let it out slowly," and she continued to work on me. I didn't think it was possible for me to relax, but what she was doing was helping me a lot. She continued to talk, but not constantly and said nothing that urged a reply of any kind. She made simple statements, and some of them were even light in nature. She finally stopped, bent down and kissed my cheek before she sat next to me and took my hand.

"Thank you Sally, you are a very good therapist."

"I hope it helps a little."

"It does help."

"Then I'll stop at your house tomorrow evening and give you another massage. There's nothing else I can do to help you through this sadness, but I can do that much."

"I'd love that."

The funeral followed the viewing, and I was used up by the time that was over. I begged forgiveness for not lingering in Sparta and made the long drive home without remembering most of it.

As promised, Sally came and this time she said, "Take your shirt off because the collar is in the way." I stripped it off and tossed it aside then as she said, "Sit backwards on the kitchen chair Ben and bend over the back. Let your arms hang down. Yes, like that and now relax."

A few minutes later I uttered, "You're very good."

"Thank you, now just be quiet and focus on your own body. Tell your muscles to just let go. We can talk in a few minutes."

I enjoyed sitting there with my eyes closed and draped over the back of the chair, and I enjoyed her magic touch. When she finally stopped maybe ten minutes later she softly told me, "Now let's go sit in the living room and talk." I dropped onto the sofa and let my head drop back as I closed my eyes.

"Thank you Sally. I remember you saying you gave massages a long time ago."

"It's been over five years, but I haven't forgotten how."

"I can tell. You are very good medicine for me."

She smiled and said, "Then we'll do this again and again until you're feeling somewhat whole again."

"What a nightmare life can be sometimes and that damn farm in particular."

"You were caught up in something that has been brewing for a long time. It's a very nice farm that has been used for evil things. Well your party excluded of course."

I let my head roll toward her and smiled as I said, "You liked that party I take it."

"I thought you could tell. We had a great time that night. Almost too great," and she smiled.

"Care to elaborate?"

"Mmm, maybe the next time I'm here."

"So how is Hank doing...well rather you and Hank."

"He's fine and we are too."

"But still no wedding band."

"No ring. We are great together, but neither of us is in a hurry to make it legal. Do you object to that lifestyle?"

"Me? Ellie and I lived together for awhile before I even proposed to her, so I'm not going to cast disparaging remarks at anybody."

"Oh that's right, you and Anita, at the party and..."

"Yes, that's right, and then I proposed to Ellie."

"I couldn't believe you that night."

"I've caught a whole lot of flak from that, but never from Ellie."

"You lucky sot. I would have flogged you with the scepter," and then she smiled. "That's another thing. God Ben, where did you ever get that idea?"

"The product of a perverted mind is all I can say. It now belongs to the new owners of the farm."

"If they loved that barn and she liked the scepter I'd like to meet them."

"You'd like them, but you might want to be wearing body armor."

"Is that right. We'll have to talk about this again."

I took her hand in mine and kissed it before I asked her, "So you really will give me another massage?"

"Of course I will. Say Wednesday night at seven."

"I'm looking forward to it."

"I'll dig my massage table out of the basement and bring that."

"Now I'm really looking forward to that."

Chapter Fifty Two

Monday afternoon Sherri called me and said, "I have a Detective Unger on the line for you Ben."

"Thanks Sherri," and I picked up. "Hi Detective."

"Ben, I'm sure you're busy so I'll keep this brief. In case you haven't heard we arrested Noah as an accomplice."

"Yes, Mary and the others told me about that. What a surprise that was."

"Now there's more to share with you. You know about the third body right?"

"I do."

"Okay, so with that body was a small empty metal box, not unlike the one we found buried not long ago. The box was empty except for one thing. Fingerprints that have survived being buried all that time because the lid was closed. Ben those fingerprints came back to Deputy Ray Masters, or as his friends call him, J.J. He's not telling us much at the moment, but he's sitting in jail so he'll have time to think about life behind bars as a former law enforcement officer. It won't be a good time for him. We got the lead about the body and the box from Noah after we interrogated him a second time. He just opened up and told us what he knew."

"So he had nothing to do with any of the murders."

"Nothing like that, but he's guilty of lesser crimes so he'll go to trial in a few months, and probably right after Ennis Ensley is tried."

"So is this taking you to who murdered Ellie?"

"That question will have to wait for an answer, but I can say we're getting closer. A whole lot closer in fact. Another question of course is did the person that shot Ellie also kill your relatives and the third unknown person. It's all linked, so all we have to do is question, probe, test and push. We'll win Ben."

"I have no doubt of that. Sorry for being impatient."

1...1819202122...28