Venturer

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Taking out her pack, she pulled her clothes out laying out a new skirt, blouse and undergarments. She began to remove the wet clothes as Kade stepped inside the tent, remaining beside the tent flap which he closed tightly behind him ensuring no others would see her. 'Will he never let me be?' she grimaced. Closing her eyes in humiliation, she turned her back to him changing as modestly and quickly as she could.

He physically blanched in shock as he glimpsed the scarring on her back as she removed her undergarments and redressed quickly. He said nothing but his jaw clenched together as he watched until she was done. "Put your hair back up into that bun you always wear I do not want my men recognising you." He continued his voice softer than his usual brusque tone, "I do not think any but Jarrau met you at your father's castle but they have heard descriptions including the long flowing apple brandy coloured hair."

"Surely you do not still want a girl you call a whore so regularly to be your wife, Sir?" she was aghast at the idea.

It was the first time she had spoken directly to him since he had discovered her in the troupe and he smiled remembering the musical qualities her voice held. She glared at him as she tied her hair up loosely and he laughed with genuine good humour saying, "You'd be surprised what I want little lady. But first some food, come." She gave him a cold hard stare and marched out of the tent her face blushing furiously.

"How could he laugh at her? He infuriated her, so smug and self righteous, why would he want a wife that did not want him?" Her inner voice berated her for letting him get the better of her. "She would not talk to him again, ever!" she determined.

She squeezed herself onto a bench seat between Alec and Maurice. She felt so small between the two muscular acrobats. She cared for them both and the troupe was in trouble because of her. She tried to apologise, but they of course had no idea what she was talking about and one look at Kade, who shook his head slightly, told her she could not explain. She ate quietly, concentrating on being with people she cared about if only for one last meal, tomorrow she would be made to leave them without even a goodbye most probably. She felt tears prick at her eyes and she kept her head down while she ate lost in her own thoughts.

Tired from the long days of travel and with satisfyingly full bellies, the troupe retired early. Honey lingered at the camp fire listening to the jovial jibes and jokes of her friends as they retired. Kade's men at arms even joined in with the troupe from time to time. She would miss them all and performing in the arena. How she had loved being an acrobat. Sadness swept over her and finally she gave in approaching the tent and her bed knowing only nightmares awaited her. She was dimly aware of a watcher following her at a slight distance. It wasn't Kade for once and she wondered idly where he was until she entered the tent.

Seeing her enter Kade, went to talk with her watcher briefly and returned looking gravely at her.

"Oh gosh," she thought, "What in the name of Tarana has happened now?"

Maurice appeared nervous and flustered as Kade resumed his chair beckoning her over, 'Kneel beside me. Apparently you have spent a lot of time on your knees so you should be comfortable down there."

Her eyes flew wide as she looked at Maurice who could not meet her gaze. All business like she heard Kade continue, "So to get to the crux of the situation, you did sodomise the young man but you did not realise his age and you only use the mouth of this whore for your pleasure and that occurs seldom. Do I have it right?"

Maurice's horrified look and strangled "Yes Sir" made Honey cringe.

Kade continued on unfazed. "Well I am sure we can come to an agreement then about not returning to certain areas of the realm and avoid a lengthy trial." He stroked his chin thoughtfully, "The young man said you did not force him, though there is still the question of his age of course." Maurice looked more relaxed but still miserable as he was guided to a table full of maps where he and Kade talked in hushed tones.

Honey fidgeted, unsure if she was dismissed so she stayed where she was. Finally leaving the table of maps Kade spoke again as he neared Honey. "Now that that is dealt with, there is still the matter of harbouring this fugitive. While I can speak for the King on some matters on others my hands are tied. I am afraid when we reach the city you will lose this girl to the dungeons."

Honey was horrified, "Dungeons!" her mind whirled, "Had he told Maurice who she was? Surely not," the conversation went on as if she was not there.

"Is there nothing we can do for her?" Maurice's plucked up some small courage as he looked sadly at Honey who had been physically rocked by Kade's statement. "What is she accused of? I cannot imagine this sweet girl committing any crime worthy of a dungeon."

Honey looked around for a way out of the tent wondering how far she could get before they dragged her back.

"There is no need to warn you I am sure that anyone trying to aid her in flight would be dealt with most harshly so best not to tell your troupe until after the event me thinks." Kade stared at Maurice his face serious showing he meant what he said.

"So there nothing I can do to plead her case," Maurice tried a last time looking at her sadly, "She is one of the best acrobats we have ever had. I hate to lose her talent."

Kade raised an eyebrow at him then shook his head "No, I am afraid she must make amends for her deeds."

"And you will not tell me of the charges?"

"No. It's best this case is kept discreet," he said the last word pointedly and Maurice nodded sadly.

"Now could you give us some time alone please, my friend?" He patted Maurice on the back consolingly as he walked him to the flap of the tent. "Do not to worry any further about this matter and the misunderstanding about the boy can be sorted out. The boy obviously lied about his age." Reassuring him Kade gently pushed Maurice from the tent.

As Maurice disappeared Kade closed the tent flap and taking his time executed a series of intricate knots to seal it shut and then, returned to the chair she knelt beside. Once settled he reached out to stroke her cheek and she flinched away as if scalded, his brow furrowed and he withdrew the hand reluctantly. "Let your hair down, little lady."

Knowing he could make her life and the lives of her friends even more unbearable she reached up to loosen the bun and let her long hair flow down over her shoulders and back. Again he reached out and she shied away before stilling her movements stoically. His hand went to her hair stroking it gently. "Good girl." He said in a soothing voice as if he was patting the mane of a skittish horse.

"Tell me of the scars on your back. Maurice claims to have never seen you naked and has no knowledge of them. Is this true?" She stiffened and swallowed noisily. "I believed him anyway," he continued as she did not answer, "Women are not his taste. I wish to know the cause of your scarred back," his tone was soft but commanding.

She lowered her head, determining not to speak to him earlier was a moot point now as her tongue froze. She trembled, unable and unwilling to relive her painful past. Taking a handful of her hair he pulled her head back slowly until she looked up to him and he could see deep into her eyes, "Tell me how you got them," his voice became hard. Unable to lower her head her eyes dropped and she bit her lip. "We will do this the hard way then shall we?" He pulled her to her feet standing beside her.

The roughness of his hand in her hair and his closeness unfroze her tongue, "Why do you care?" She lashed out at him as he dragged her to her feet. "Why do you care about one whore? There are prettier, finer virgins out there in the kingdom, go find yourself one of them to torment and gamble with." She kicked at his legs as he held her by her arms, fear and pain and anger at her plight making her rash. "You can have your pick, I am sure. Better than winning a whore in a game of dice..."

"STOP!" he roared. Picking up her thrashing body and holding her against him tightly he moved to the other end of the tent and threw her on the bed.

"Take the blouse off or I will do it for you, but you will run out of clothes if I destroy them because you cannot obey me." He glowered at her.

"No!" she shrieked at him, "I am not YOUR whore nor will I ever be. Lock me up in your dungeons or whatever you're going to do." Her eyes darted around the room looking for escape her fight or flight instinct making her seem feral as she looked up at him preparing to kick him again.

A loud commotion outside the tent interrupted them. "See," he snarled "Your childish tantrum has endangered your friends. Is that what you want?"

Horror filled her face. "No" she whispered. "No."

"We will continue this..." He left it hanging as he stalked over to the tent entrance, simmering rage barely kept in check as he undid the knots deftly and stormed out into the night.

The commotion ceased and she curled into a ball on her bed and cried. 'Why did he care about her scars?' awful images of her big brutal father danced across her mind and she shook remembering the extreme punishments he lavished on her as a young girl. "What does Kade want from me? Why can't he just leave me here?"

She felt the bed sink with the added weight of someone sitting beside her. She curled into a tighter ball refusing to look up dreading to see Kade's face there. The big familiar hand of Alec touched her shoulder gently as he asked, "You okay, Honey? Did he hurt you?"

She sat up slowly hugging her knees to her, "No, Alec" she sighed wearily, "He did not touch me. I might have hurt him though, I kicked him pretty hard." She grinned up at her friend but the smile did not hide the fear and pain in her eyes.

He pulled her into a bear hug and she squeaked. "You're going to run again, aren't you?" he whispered sadly.

She nodded unable to speak. "I knew the time would come but I had hoped..." he shrugged and rocked her in his big arms. "I will miss you, you know. Try and come back to us one day." From deep within his tunic he pulled a leather sheath, putting his finger to her lip to silence her he showed her the small dagger within and pointed to her pack. Her eyes widened and she hugged him hard. "Erato is a big town. It will be easy to slip into the shadows."

"Thank you," she whispered burying the dagger deeply in her pack.

He nodded at her, wishing to give her more to keep her safe, to run with her, but she would not let him he knew. She was a solitary creature; he hoped she could find a place of safety where her fears could be put to rest and her nightmares cease.

Jarrau entered the tent disturbing them to hand her a small glass of mulled wine, "Drink. It will help you sleep."

They talked lightly as she drank the wine, Jarrau joining in talk about the town of Erato, laughing easily as he chatted with them in his relaxed friendly way. Honey had warmed to him over the last couple of days despite his knight's attire. Too soon Alec made her lie down saying he would stay until she slept to chase away her demons. Feeling safe as always with Alec watching over her, she lay down, exhaustion quickly sweeping over her, she was grateful too that it was Jarrau watching her tonight rather than the ice blue eyes of Kade. ...............................................

She had woken slowly from a deep sleep and blinked clearing the last remnants of strange dreams from her mind. She stretched and rolled over her eyes coming to rest on Kade. "Urg," she groaned and he looked up from the map he was studying.

"Awake at last. Good." Getting up and walking to her he picked up a plate from a small table beside her, "Eat. You missed breakfast." It was a command and she looked up at him sharply. "Please." He added. "The rest of the camp is almost packed. They wait to pull down this tent."

He sat contemplating her as she ate. "Will you still not tell me how you came to be scarred so deeply along your back?"

She stopped eating and pushed the plate away at his question. Not answering him she arose from the bed smoothing out the skirt she had fallen asleep in and noticing a wine stain decided she needed to change her blouse. Taking her pack and moving away to the opposite end of the tent from him, she lifted her hands to the buttons and removed the blouse reaching quickly to take up another. He was suddenly behind her slipping the straps of her camisole from her shoulders to see her bare back. She stiffened and gasped but did not want the commotion of last night so she clamped her mouth tightly shut as she shook.

He grimaced, scars from years of beatings crisscrossed her back most faded to fine white lines the deeper holding a slight pink tinge to them still. His finger traced the lines and she crossed an arm over her breasts trembling under his tender touch.

She bit her lip at the feather light touch and taking a deep breath she tried to relax as he spoke quietly "These are mostly faded so I truly believe Maurice that they did not happen during your time as his mistress." His fingers traced down her back and up her ribs touching the side of her breast making her quiver visibly.

She could hear the smirk in his voice as he asked "Are you cold, little lady?"

She stiffened and taking a step away from him pulled up her camisole straps and redressed in the new blouse, stowing the old one in her pack, carefully hiding the dagger Alec had given her deeper.

He remained standing close behind her watching, turning his eyes and following her as she moved away. He marvelled at her, beautiful and lithe, her eyes showing a wide eyed vulnerability that gave her a sweet innocent appearance. Even in these plain clothes and with her hair pulled tightly into a knot behind her head, she still exuded everything that had drawn him to her so long ago, beauty, frailty, and breeding and that was why he had searched the last six seasons for her.

He had first seen her when she was barely sixteen, a small quiet girl jumping at her fathers demands, during a visit to her uncle, the King. Something about her had touched him even then and he found himself volunteering as the Kings emissary to the lands of the East. Her father was overprotective and let no man close enough to talk with her other than the expected formalities. Kade had coveted her from afar. He had tried to ask for her hand in the formal way but her father had refused to give her hand to anyone and there had been several suitable candidates besides him self who had courted his favour in this regard.

Not one to give up easily Kade had studied the Duke and biding his time had learned the Duke's weaknesses. Over two years later, during one of his visits to the Dukes castle to deliver a birthday present from the king to her, he had been able to talk with her. She had thanked him for his trouble in delivering her gift and had smiled a smile at him that lit up her face. The smile had totally disarmed him and she spoke with him easily until her father appeared and she reverted back to her timid mouse like persona. Finding her accomplished and bright, he knew without a shadow of a doubt that she was his perfect mate and that she could light up his life with those smiles.

That evening he had plied her father with drink and had won Honiara's hand from her father through manipulation and subterfuge in a game of dice but she had disappeared the following day as they had detained her father in dowry talks. Unwatched and unfettered by servants who were scurrying to prepare a feast for their betrothal, she had escaped the castle in the early morning darkness when all thought her to be asleep.

Realisation hit him suddenly like a flash of lightning and he cursed the man that could scar his only child in such a way. Her father had kept his daughter close, and out of reach of any other, and now Kade knew why, He felt his anger rise again. Her father had treated her abominably. No wonder she had run at the first opportunity.

His brooding thoughts melted some of the ice around his heart and he moved to her purposefully. His hand travelled over her back again as she flinched and stiffened, she was skittish, afraid to be touched and ready to scamper away any moment. She was not the naïve spoilt brat on an adventure he had expected to find and punish into submission, but rather a girl surviving her past, running from its memories.

His desire that she be his grew even stronger. "She would be his. He had known from the moment he first saw her she was his perfect mate he felt it in his heart and soul each time he looked at her. If only she knew it." He lamented. "He knew he could bring her peace if she would just let him." He was determined but he realised now just how hard it would be to win a small smile from her let alone her trust and affection.

Moving away from his light touch which confused her, she looked at him and the odd look he had in his eyes; sad, angry and hungry all at once in a way that disturbed her. Not wanting to be near him any longer she curtsied to him in a farcical move she hoped would disconcert him. She whispered, "With your leave, My Lord." Then she turned and slipped out of the tent leaving him staring at flapping canvas door.

Kade watched her as the last of the camp was packed into the wagons for the final trek to Erato. Each of the troupe members had approached her as she wandered around hugging her to them making Kade increasingly uneasy. Scowling he approached Maurice, "You told them I am taking Honey when we reach the town." It was a statement more than a question and Kade voice told of his anger and the threat behind his words.

"No. No. No." Maurice held up his hands before him his eyes wide. "You've misread the situation."

Kade growled and raised an eyebrow. "Tell me what is going on." His voice was low and menacing.

Maurice motioned him to follow and walked beside Kade away from the camp activity slightly. In hushed tones, Maurice spoke quickly, "We found her half starved in a village back toward the East. She was running from something." He looked to Kade's face seeking a reaction but he saw nothing but the impassive stony glare that had been there from the beginning of this conversation. Exasperated Maurice sighed, "With my troubles bringing the Kings men along with us, they believe she will run again once in the town." Still no reaction, not a muscle moving Kade's rigid face Maurice sighed, "They are saying good bye in their own way."

Honey moved among the wagons cursing Alec for letting word get out that she would be leaving them discreetly once they got to the town. She could feel Kade and his men at arms watching her intently as if they realised something was amiss. She saw Kade move away with Maurice toward the edge of the camp and Honey took the opportunity to walk down to the stream just for a few moments of peace and freedom before she was locked away. "Dungeon" he had said and she despaired. As soon as the troupe was safe in town she would run. She just had to know they would not be held responsible.

There was a crashing sound in the sparse wood behind her and she turned to see the livid face of Kade. Breathing heavily, he strode to her purposefully as she looked at the relief in the face of Jarrau, who had appeared just behind him. Kade picked her up bodily and slung her over his shoulder. She beat on his broad back with her fists as he marched back to the camp his rage oozing out of every pore as he roared. "You WILL stop running from me!"

He slapped her ass and she shrieked at him as she beat on his back. "Let me go. Why do you care so much? I am not a bag of gold to be won or lost in a game of dice!"