Whispers of Redemption Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh Okay" Kayla said.

"You don't seem to say much" Doris turned her back on the stove, appearing to have finished preparing whatever it was that she was preparing.

Kayla blushed and pulled on one of the curls resting just above the curve of her breast.

"I-" Doris cut her off before she could defend herself.

"I bet that's why you and Jeremy get along so well. He probably just sits and stares at you as you do the same to him. I can give you his daily word count...that's how talkative he is." Doris chatted freely and Sarah rolled her eyes exasperatingly. Kayla giggled as she admired his beautiful family.

"I talk" She said defensively. Doris gave her a dubious look that had her giggles turning into full blown laughter. It was a refreshing sound that she hadn't heard leave her lips in a very long time, maybe even years. Soon enough Sarah was laughing as well as Doris and Serena. The women hadn't heard the front door open or feel Jeremy's presence when he entered the kitchen.

Jeremy entered his home to hear raucous laughter flowing from his kitchen; he recognized each voice of laughter as its own except for one. His mother's was high-pitched and extremely distinguished, Doris's was heavy and booming and Serena's was just loud. But the other voice of laughter was thoroughly melodic and true...it could only be Kayla's. He smiled to himself as her laughter rang in his ears; his brain pictured her head back exposing the perfect curvature of her neck...her curls wild and enthralling. He was headed for the kitchen before he even thought to remove his running sneakers. His mother had caught sight of him first.

"Don't you come in here without taking a shower!" She said feigning a seriousness that could certainly find no place in her genuine temperament. He was reaching for her before she had time to flee the embrace.

"No!" She squealed as he wrapped his sinewy arms around her, sweaty tee-shirt and all. Doris swatted him with a mini spatula and he planted a kiss on her cheek as she eyed him.

"Eggs?" He said in complete disbelief "What happened to my prima colazione?" He said

Doris elbowed his towering frame and sprinkled seasoning onto the scrambled eggs.

"I am cooking an American breakfast for Kayla. Go take a shower and fix your own prima colazione."

Her name had his body and mind freezing up. Out of character...yet unavoidable.

"Good morning, Jeremy" He heard her say. He walked around the island to do something he probably shouldn't have considered doing especially in front of the three most dramatic women in his life. Her black tresses were shining with the small amount of sunlight that peered through the kitchen windows that were built into every wall. Her skin looked radiant despite her latest bruise and her eyes shone relentlessly. Her pinkish lips parted and he suppressed the urge to claim them. A small smile curled his own as he blatantly assessed the bruise on her face before he kissed her cheek softly and bid her a good morning. Her cheeks burned a soft red that made her caramel tone look edible. When her eyes caught his he nearly forgot that his mother, grandmother and Godmother were still in the room. She stared at him with clearer eyes; it seemed as if Bruce's presence had clouded her very being...it seemed as if the abuse might have beaten down a portion of her personality that seemed to now shine through the very light hazel of her eyes. It was unnerving how ridiculously significant she was to him in that moment. Yes, significant. Her image could have suppressed every thought, word, and sound if it had wanted to in that moment. He broke their tangible connection for the sake of saving himself the jibes he would surely receive from the other woman in the room. Immediately she lowered her head to gaze at her twiddling thumbs and for nearly three seconds he had the audacity to envy those small dainty thumbs.

"And Good Morning to you too Mr. Alessi" Serena chided quietly yet knowingly, he thanked her silently for providing distraction. He kissed her forehead as he always did and grabbed a crescent piece of an apple from Sarah's apple bowl.

"Before I forget," Sarah said quickly "Your father called" Jeremy's eyes grew cold and he rose a dark eyebrow at her.

"He wants to talk" She explained lamely

"I have a cell phone" He said in resentment

"He wished to speak with me as well." she said slowly, suddenly that much more interested in cutting the peeled apple in her hand. Jeremy's right hand fisted in a reflex reaction but quickly relaxed.

"When are you leaving?" He said knowingly

"After breakfast" She replied tentatively

"Did he apologize?" Jeremy demanded.

"Jeremy, please" Sarah pleaded softly. Kayla watched the two carefully.

"He didn't." Jeremy stated bitterly.

"You have to learn how to forgive" Sarah retorted in a frustrated tone

"There is a difference between forgiving and excusing. He's not coming over here. I'll drop you."

Before Sarah could respond Jeremy had walked away...gone to take a shower undoubtedly, but certainly in fumes.

"I'm sorry you had to see that" She said to Kayla. Kayla chewed on the piece of orange Serena had offered her.

"It's okay, Mrs. Alessi" She assured the anxious woman sitting across from her. Kayla wasn't exactly sure what had just taken place between Jeremy and his mother but she was sure that his mother did not live with him and he and his father did not have a good relationship. Piece by piece she was going to figure him out...learn his personality like it was the back of her hand...she was going to find out exactly who he was. A silence had fallen over the three woman and she was determined to have them talking once more...their voices were soothing and comforting.

"Do you guys have the yellow pages?" she asked

"Why do you need it?" Doris shared out four servings of scrambled eggs bacon and stove top waffles.

"I can get another motel room before I find an apartment" Kayla began. "I can try and get it before I leave for work, that way-"

"Why would you need a motel room if you already have a room?" Doris shook her head and set a plate of breakfast before her. "You don't have to go anywhere."

"Those motel plaza's aren't safe." Sarah said with a worried tone. Serena nodded in agreement and gave a slight shiver as if she was remembering a bad experience.

"This is Jeremy's home and I don't think it would be fair for me to intrude." Kayla pointed out as she nibbled on a piece of bacon.

"Jeremy won't let you stay at a motel. You had better luck trying to convince us." Sarah scoffed good-naturedly.

"I'm sure he will. I was staying at one before."

"Then why didn't he try to find you another motel?" Serena said teasingly. Doris laughed and Sarah chuckled.

"Well...I wasn't in a good state. Perhaps now that-"

"Tell you what" Doris said as she set up everyone else's plate. She and Serena found a seat around the island as Sarah pushed the plate of cut apples away from her food and into the middle of the island "When he comes down" she smiled wider "ask him."

"I will" Kayla said through a small stubborn smile. Sarah began to eat and Doris slapped her hand, growling-if she even knew how- something in Italian. Sarah rolled her eyes and Serena sipped her tea. In minutes Jeremy appeared. He was wearing black slacks and a dark red burgundy dress shirt. His grayish silver tie rested around his neck untied. His hair was tousled and still obviously damp from the shower. Kayla could smell the light scent of his cologne and found an otherwise nonexistent knot tighten in her stomach.

"Sit before I starve" Doris's quick mouth jibed. He sat at the head of the island, staring at Sarah who kept her eyes on her food. He whispered something in Italian softly and although Kayla knew nothing of the language she knew it was an apology of some sort. Sarah shook her head imperceptibly, kissing his cheek lightly and running a hand over his face.

Concurrently they all began to eat. And Kayla noticed that Doris had prepared a special breakfast for Jeremy. He had a simple loaf of herbal bread and a cup of coffee. Kayla thought of bringing up the subject of leaving but quickly and inexplicably lost her nerve. She watched the strong chiseled shape of his jaw move rhythmically as he ate. Shamefully, she yearned for the green of his eyes.

"Jeremy, Kayla has something to discuss with you." Doris said absent-mindedly as she sipped on the tea in her mug and ate a piece of sweet-smelling waffle. An incredulous look spread across Kayla's face unchecked and Serena giggled. Sarah gave her an apologetic look.

"What is it?" He asked, suddenly disinterested in his food.

"Well I-" She stammered "I was hoping I could find another motel before I have to leave." She swallowed but found no spit to sooth her dry throat. "I don't want to prolong my stay unnecessarily; it would be rude to intrude." She watched his eyes warm.

"I don't want you in another motel."

"Well it wouldn't be the same one, if you're worried about-"

"No. You should stay until you can find yourself an actual place. I can help you find somewhere."

"Jeremy, I don't know how long it would take to find somewhere...I don't think that's such a good idea."

"I'm not worried about time, you're safer here."

"I'm safe regardless" She retorted. He stared at her for a moment, his green eyes displaying no kind of indecision.

"I want you to stay" He said in an absolute tone. "I can find you a place." His eyes roved her body quickly.

"You have work today?" He asked. She glanced at the vintage clock on the wall behind Sarah and nodded.

"In thirty minutes" She said, chomping into a waffle. A small smile curved Jeremy's lips...a smile that only Doris caught as he watched Kayla dive into her food.

"Slow down. I'll give Koen a call." He said in an amused tone.

"Who is that?" She swallowed a piece of her waffle.

"Koen Linden, your boss."

"Oh, Mr. Linden"

"What did I tell you" Doris said in a smug tone.

"I'll win next time" Kayla said contentedly. Jeremy gave her a queer look as Doris's gaze found hers at first in surprise and then in mirth.

"We'll see" She replied, glad that the girl seemed to be opening up. Doris was always one for insight and she knew for a sure fact that a hell of a personality lay just beneath the damaged demeanor of this girl.

***

"I would like to pay rent" Kayla said. They sat at the island alone. Sarah had gone upstairs to pack up her things and Serena and Doris were in the backyard watering plants.

Jeremy set down a document he had been reading.

"Kayla" He sighed "That won't be necessary"

"I don't want this to be some type of human relationship of commensalism. You have no reason to keep me here if I can't pay you back, in addition to the fifteen hundred I already owe you."

"You don't owe me anything." He reached for her hands before she could speak once more. He studied them closely feigning a sort of epiphany. He was well aware of what she was good at and what she had done. She played several instruments and was a part of her county orchestra until a year ago. She had also been involved in an art club in high school in addition to the ballerina lessons she had as a child. She was what he would have called an "artsy chick" when he was in college.

"You play instruments?"

She gasped audibly and snatched her hands back, a look of disbelief and perplexity in her eyes.

"So you do"

She stared at her hands subconsciously before shoving them into her lap.

"How did you know that?" She eyed him cautiously.

"I didn't. I simply asked"

"But why would you even think to ask" Her voice raised a clear octave.

"I dated a girl who played every instrument you could think of...her hands looked like yours."

It wasn't entirely a lie. He had dated an "artsy chick" at Stanford. Her skin wasn't as soft or enticing as Kayla's...if anything it was calloused and her fingers were constantly being bandaged.

"Violin, mostly" she murmured. "But this has nothing to do with me paying rent."

"I have a niece that is moving in with my parents for some time. She's five." As he spoke he reached for her hand once more and she allowed him to capture it. His fingers traced the soft lines of her palm.

"I would like you to give her lessons when you're not working. An hour or so, each time you have one. Teach her how to play the violin" He said almost admiringly.

"Jeremy that's crazy. I'm no good anymore. I haven't played in nearly a year."

"I bet you're wrong."

"I bet I'm not"

"This would be your rent"

"That's not rent. I would do it for free regardless."

"Do you know how much violin lessons cost?" He asked with a smirk.

"They are probably extremely expensive because you would be paying someone with tons of experience to teach her."

"How long have you been playing for?"

"That's irrelevant"

"Tell me"

She bit her lip in hesitation and sighed.

"Since I was five" she admitted "It's the only thing I can remember...how to play instruments and draw."

"What do you mean it's the only thing you can remember?" Jeremy's green eyes sought hers desperately. She turned away, feeling an old ache return to pierce her chest. Her breathing became erratic and she closed her eyes.

"Kayla" He whispered. She pushed herself farther away from his prying eyes. She felt his finger tips at her cheek and shuddered involuntarily wishing she had the capability to cringe away from him.

"Don't shut me out" He said softly.

"I'm not ready to talk about it" She had finally admitted that to herself...the fact that she might never be able to speak of the day that had so drastically changed her life yet remained impenetrable to her memory.

"Okay" He said, turning her face to his. He peered into her eyes with a look of determination and deep interest. He placed both hands on her face, cradling it.

"Okay" He repeated...assuring her of his understanding.

"You don't have to ever hide your face from me" He said. "Just promise to tell me what's going on in your head"

"Or let me see your eyes...they'll tell me" He smiled and she smiled back. Tentatively she placed her hand against his.

"I don't want to be your burden Jeremy. What if the cops come looking for you? I shouldn't be here...I just know it. As if you haven't sacrificed enough" her voice broke "I don't want them to take you away from Sarah and Doris and Serena." She didn't want them to take him away fromher. "I couldn't have that guilt on my conscious. I'm not worth life in prison, Jeremy. Let me go and find somewhere else to stay, I'll keep in touch I promise. I just-"

"Look at me" He commanded in his strong virile voice, his deep tone filling the room. "They won't come after me or you. You are safe here. Do you understand me?"

"What if-"

"Kayla" He declared, slightly shaking her "No one is coming. No one is going to punish you. You are safe, do you understand me?" His green eyes worked some kind of magic in her chest. She stared back with no inhibition knowing her translucent hazel eyes would tell him everything.

"Yes" She whispered, drinking in his eyes as if he held her lifeline...her air.

"You trust me?" He said softly. His thumbs caressed the sensitive skin of her face, careful to avoid the bruise that stood no chance at marring her beauty.

"I do" She exhaled. He rested his head against hers, they're eyes locked. Her heart beat slowed down to a rate of pure serenity. And she breathed in his intoxicating scent greedily.

One would think it foolish to believe what he had just told her; stupid and disgustingly optimistic. But as his scent drowned her and his skin warmed hers she knew that she wouldn't be able to dissuade herself from believing him. For the first time in her life she was willing to trust someone wholeheartedly...she was willing to believe the impossible.

***

Jeremy drove into Dalton Heights and turned onto Creek Drive heading straight for the home he had grown up in.

"Christy will be here tomorrow" Sarah said with a joy in her voice that could not be mistaken.

"I know" Jeremy sighed. He turned the steering wheel of his sleek BMW-his favorite out of the five cars he owned. Minutes later they drove unto Paul's driveway. Surprisingly he stood outside of his mansion, smoking a Cuban beside Ray and Marco. Jeremy muttered something in Italian and Sarah smacked his arm. Kayla giggled and Jeremy sent her a smile through the rear view. When Kayla got a look at Jeremy's father's home her breath literally couldn't find its way past her lips. It was three stories high and took up a substantial amount of space landscape wise. The front of the house was covered in at least five white Roman columns and the gloriously large and clear windows framed with what looked like a forest green Grecian molding. She gasped. And Sarah spoke.

"We don't need all of that space. Paul has always been ostentatious." She said. When they parked Jeremy got out, opening the door for his mother and retrieving her bag from the back. Kayla contemplated whether she should get out and almost immediately Sarah enthusiastically motioned for her to come out. Kayla took a deep breath and exited the car and instantaneously knew it wasn't what Jeremy wanted. If he had wanted her to get out he would've opened the door for her. But she was already out and she would look utterly stupid if she slipped back inside. Sarah slunk her arm around Kayla's and walked over to where the three men stood. The one in the middle had to be Jeremy's father...he was the man from Jeremy's family portrait...and looked maybe a year or two older, although she was sure he was now around twenty years older. He wore a tailored gray suit with a pastel pink dress shirt and tie. His dark brown hair was slicked back and his face newly shaven. He certainly didn't look twenty years older. Jeremy handed Sarah's Louis Vuitton to the man on his father's right.

"Salve" she murmured to Paul. Immediately a lazy smile claimed his lips and he slunk his arms around her waist, planting a meaningful kiss on her lips. Kayla turned away slightly on instinct and Jeremy seethed visibly. Sarah blushed and pushed away.

"Ciao Gianni" Paul said good-naturedly but Jeremy remained silent his eyes boring holes into his father. Kayla found it extremely weird. Had he called Jeremy Gianni?

Sarah cleared her throat.

"Paul this is Kayla" She smiled and rubbed Kayla's arm. The name sparked a sharp recognition in Paul's expression and his face lit up incredulously at first and then deceivingly settled into a look of pleasantness.

She offered her hand and he took it gently before kissing the back of it slowly, his eyes lingering on hers. Kayla smiled uncomfortably. Suddenly she felt a large warm hand enclose her free one, it was Jeremy. He tugged her off...away from the house and his father and towards the car.

"Jeremy!" Kayla yelped "That was extremely rude." His face was stoic. She turned to gaze at the scene they had left behind to see his mother with her face in her hands and Paul glaring daggers into the back of Jeremy's head.

***

"Why don't you like him?" Kayla finally asked him. They had sat in silence for nearly ten minutes as he drove her to work. She had contemplated asking him just exactly whoDraculawas again, but decided to broach the subject at a later and more fitting time.

"What?" he looked like she had shaken him out of deep thought.

"Your father. Why don't you like him?" She inquired.

"It isn't dislike, its indifference" He lied...as he had lied to many others.

"Indifference would not have moved you to literally drag me away from him." She said boldly

His eyes were on her before the last word had left her mouth.

"You don't know him. You can't trust his mouth. He would've said something stupid" He muttered. Kayla decided to leave it be.