Whispers of Redemption Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Stay with me" She whispered through the tears in her voice.

"Close your eyes" He murmured kissing the crown of her curl-filled head.

Chapter 5: Assimilation

"I watch you spin from afar. I drink you in and breathe you out. I'm camouflaged by the timeline
'm camouflaged when the sun shines."

November 14th 2000

11:30am

Jeremy's Residence: Guest Room

"Ah!" Kayla shot up in bed. Sweat poured from her temples and her pajamas clung to her body. She ran her hands over her face and rolled over to check the time on the bedside table. 11:31 am. It was a good thing she wasn't working today...she would've been late. After she ran her fingers through her tangled curls; fixing it into a messy blob atop her head with several bobby pins, she headed for the bathroom.

As she washed her face she recalled Jeremy leaving in the early hours of the morning. His watch had gone off, a terribly loud beeping; he had unwrapped his arms from around her waist after kissing the nape of her neck and then slipped from under the comforter. But such a departure couldn't erase the mere fact that he had stayed. After she had stopped crying he had tucked her in and snuggled up behind her wrapping his arm around her waist securely; she could feel his inhales and exhales on her neck and back. Ironically it didn't feel foreign to be held by him while she slept...it didn't feel foreign to be comforted instead of attacked in the middle of the night. She savored every moment that he held her...his hand periodically caressing her hip or running down the length of her hair. She should have been scared...she should have been wired the whole night worried that he'd take advantage...worried that he'd turn into Bruce...but she wasn't because it wasn't Bruce, it was Jeremy and he had promised that she would be okay, that he'd keep her safe. The more she recalled the previous night the more she remembered the softness and heat of his skin, the unbelievable musculature of his entire body, the strength in his hands and the innate security that emanated from him. She felt like a woman in his arms; not the broken, subpar, complacent being she knew herself to be...but more like a desirable being...an exceptional being. She yearned to believe that she had the capability to be desirable and exceptional...to him. It was quite obvious that her growing obsession with him was unhealthy. She knew nothing about him. She didn't know why he was helping her or why he insisted she trust him; yet Kayla knew every detail of his god-like facial features, she knew the electrical touch of his hand, and the invisible caress of his voice...she knew the magnitude of compassion he kept locked up deep inside of him. When she had broken down in his arms the night before she had never felt so lost in her life; there she was at the very apex of redeeming herself and her life, starting new...yet she couldn't shake her past.

She couldn't forget Bruce and everything he had done. She couldn't even fight him in her own dreams. Kayla hadn't meant to beg Jeremy to stay with her...to never leave, but in the haze of her hysterics a single and lone question had floated through her mind.When will he grow tired of my inability to be normal?The weight of the question was so strong that it literally stabbed her in her chest. A sharp pain had traveled through her entire body and all she could picture was the day he would let go...the day he would give up; and instead of keeping this premonition locked deep inside and allowing it to eat at her soul, she had begged him to promise not to leave her...and too her surprise he had promised; his beautiful voice filling her ears and traveling through her body, warming her to the core. She knew she was wrong but had decided to ignore her subconscious, completely ignore the fact that she had no right to ask that of him, ignore the fact that staying with her meant pursuing a relationship...putting a label on what she was to him. And she knew for a solid fact that such a label would never exist to him.

So she would wait for him to break his promise and in the mean time she would revel in his presence; because with Jeremy she felt alive. And when he broke his promise...living would be an arduous task.

Kayla looked at her reflection for a few seconds...something she hadn't done since...well she had made it a habit to avoid mirrors. She scrutinized the healing bruise on her cheek and sighed. She looked like a hot mess. Looks were the last thing on her agenda...if she were to worry about that she would go crazy. So instead of wasting an hour of her life rendering herself aware of all of her imperfections she headed for the shower.

***

"Mr. Baker, as much as I'd like to sit and chat about this, I won't. We had a deal...you had a deadline. Pull through or I'll end this." Jeremy leaned back in his office chair.

"Yes, Alessi, there's just been a lot of complications with the company we've been trying to invest in. We're taking precautions...millions could be lost if we were to rush into it."

"You know what I call a precaution? A six month waiting period for one simple investment; I'm not suggesting we rush into it...I'm suggesting you get this under control. We're losing this investment and you know it. I'm the face of this project, we fall and I take the hit. So do your job."

"I still don't think it's a good idea to land the deal so early."

"What you think and don't think is no longer a major necessity for this project, Baker."

Eric Baker gave Jeremy a skeptical look and left his office, face red and all.

Jeremy's office phone rang.

"Yea, Cassie?"

"Your father is on line two" She said in a nervous voice as if she contemplated not even letting him know. Jeremy glanced at his watch and then his computer screen.

"Alright, Cassie." He sighed. He connected the call.

"Alessi"

"What's her name again? Cassie? I think you can get a more professional secretary; she was very hesitant, extremely unprofessional and-"

"Did you call for something in particular?" Jeremy cut him off.

"Christy is on her way, do I need to send Ray for her or did you inform Leon?"

"I informed Leon." Jeremy said succinctly.

"That's good, that's good."

"Pa" Jeremy sighed "Why did you call?"

"Listen Jeremy..." Paul never used his middle name, but when he did it was either before an apology or a compliment...both were rare.

"I would never hurt your mother purposefully. And you know that."

"You called my office to talk about this?" Jeremy said clearly irritated.

"Be my son for a minute and bear with me, eh?"

Silence. Jeremy's version of 'okay'

"I love your mother, Jeremy" Paul said soberly

"Then control yourself"

"Watch yourself, Jeremy. I am aware of my faults. Know your place."

"Yes, father." Jeremy said in sarcastic contempt.

Paul sighed.

"I'm calling a meeting with the family." Paul said vaguely. "I want you to come."

Jeremy would have said no, like every other time, but this time he knew why Paul was calling a meeting. He knew that their family was in danger and Paul was too prideful to voice it. He knew this was the critical point he had been expecting all of his adult life...where he'd have to make the decision between his life as it was and the life Paul had molded for him the day he found out he was having a boy; he'd have to make a decision between an underground life and the life he yearned for, a choice between morality and perdition.

"I'll be there"

He heard a large inhale and a light unexpected laugh escape his father.

"Good. I'm glad."

"When is it?"

"Tonight. I want to have dinner with the family, you know since Christy is here. That should go well."

They were on the office phone so keeping the conversation ambiguous was important. It was obvious to Jeremy that Paul wanted to have a family dinner and then have the meeting after.

"Right."

"I would like to discuss something else with you. Pick up your cell phone." Immediately Jeremy's cell went off...he picked it up.

"What is it?"

"Sam told me everything." Paul said in a serious tone. "If I didn't know you were capable of perfection I would be irate with you."

Paul had taken Jeremy by surprise...but he would never admit it.

"Did what I had to."

"There's a first for everything." Paul drawled. "You're my son and I love you, despite what you may think, that is why I'm letting you know thatthis, you handling things this way...it doesn't end there. I know your philosophical classes at Stanford taught you that 'certain things' are immoral and unjustifiable" Paul said mockingly "but this is the real world, and only real people live in the real world."

"I wasn't looking for an initiation" Jeremy retorted. "Don't get excited"

"You did it because you care about her" Paul said quietly. Jeremy didn't respond; an affirmation.

"And if we were to use logical reasoning on this assessment of motives I would conclude that you would do something like that for anyone you cared for and loved. Am I right or am I right?"

"I'm not a potential contact or another air head who thinks he's the next Al Pacino...so don't bait me like I need it. I said I'll be there, I'll be there."

Paul chuckled at that. "Angela will be at the dinner." Paul said abruptly

"Thought this was a family dinner" Jeremy replied

"Family and friends" Paul said through a smile. "If I'm inviting all the people on my pay roll why not invite some friends as well."

"Right" Jeremy said dryly. "I have to go."

"I appreciated getting the time of day" Paul said lightly

"I appreciated giving it to you" Jeremy responded slowly.

November 14th 2000

11:55am

Jeremy's Residence: Guest Room

Kayla stepped out of the shower and wrapped her towel around her dripping wet body. She slicked her wet hair back, twisting the thick mass and wringing it out. She opened the bathroom door and stopped dead in her tracks at what she saw. Marie and an unfamiliar man were leaning over a massive looking suitcase unpacking its contents.

"Jimmy just put the Aloe Vera parcels on the bed before you burst one. Jesus H. Christ Maria, those shoes cost more than two weeks pay for you...put them down before you soil them" a tall skinny dark skin woman with shoulder length dark brown hair said in a very heavy British accent. Marie sent her an evil eye as the man known as Jimmy followed her order quite quickly.

Kayla cleared her throat seeking to gain the attention of her intruders. The tall woman swerved around with a brilliant smile on her face. She clasped her hands together endearingly and rushed towards Kayla.

"Oh, you must be Kayla Warner" she said jovially "My name is Bree, I'm Jeremy's stylist" Bree bared her teeth in a wider smile and Kayla shook the woman's hand in confusion...her other hand clutching her towel.

"I don't understand" Kayla said as her brows furrowed, she looked past Bree and at the suitcase. Marie and the man named Jimmy were unpacking. They unpacked fancy looking shoes boxes and loads of shopping bags.

"Well he requested I set up your wardrobe and renovate your closet." Bree chirped. She glanced at the hollow closet and added "Well...create a closet"

"There must be a mistake-"

"No. No mistake" Bree chuckled whilst snapping her fingers at Jimmy. "I'll unpack the rest and I'll call if I need anything." She handed Marie a tip and wiggled her fingers in a "goodbye" gesture. Marie snatched the tip and left. Kayla was too shocked at the entire situation to speak.

Bree reached out and twisted one of Kayla's curls around her finger.

"What are you?" the bold stylist questioned freely

"My-my mother is of Cherokee decent and my father is half Black-American and half Scottish ." She said tentatively still trying to figure out why 'Bree' was in her room.

"Wow!" Bree exclaimed "Well you've got an exotic look...real sexy"

Kayla quirked a brow.

"Jeremy called me on late notice so my shopping was hurried and I literally had nothing to go off of...as far as preference goes" Her accent made her sound borderline haughty but by the way she smiled and her dark brown eyes gleamed it was quite obvious she wasn't. "But he got your size quite right."

"What?" Kayla sputtered, baffled.

Bree tugged on her arm dragging her towards the suitcase and as Kayla neared the massive looking thing she realized that it wasn't a suitcase...more like a life-sized kit filled with everything from shopping bags to cosmetics. She wondered how they had gotten it through the doorway without her hearing a single thing.

"Just tell me what you like and what you don't like and we'll go from there." Bree said already reaching for the first shopping bag, "You're a 32 C, right?"

"Wait, stop" Kayla took the bag from Bree and set it on the bed. "He asked you to buy clothes for me?" She asked incredulously. Bree's eyes wandered in a "well, obviously" look.

"Um, yes" Bree said

"Why?" Kayla asked, her face plummeting into a scowl.

"Well, it's not my job to ask why. My job is to-"

"You're a stylist, I know what you do" Kayla stated firmly. "But I don't want these things" She finished, chin up and chest heaving with disbelief.

"Oh, dear! Don't be ridiculous, let's get this unloaded, how bout it?" Bree dismissed Kayla's rejection with the wave of a hand.

"I'm serious." Kayla insisted. "I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I won't accept any of this"

"Most of these things are nonrefundable" Bree said with a hand on her hip.

"Take back the ones that aren't" Kayla replied stubbornly.

Ree gave her an exasperated look.

"Quite frankly everything you see here is nonrefundable." She retorted

Kayla didn't believe a word of what she was telling her and the look on her face showed it.

"I swear it!" Ree exclaimed "Check all the tags" she challenged in her deep accent. Kayla grappled for the bag on the bed and reached into the opening of it. She pulled out a light pink silk sleeveless blouse. The texture of the piece of fabric had her fingers gliding over the expanse of it before she realized what she was doing. Bree smiled.

"Prada at its best" Bree giggled. The sound shook Kayla out of the slight trance she was in; she quickly grabbed at the authenticity tag and scanned the fine print that sure enough said 'Nonrefundable'. She shoved it back into the sturdy bag and slowly placed it on the bed.

"I don't want any of this" she murmured distraughtly...her skin had already air-dried and her hair only partially damp.

"Tell you what darling" Bree whispered-her demeanor softening- "we'll put everything away and when Jeremy comes home you can just tell him you don't want it." She finished. Kayla looked up at Bree and licked her dry lips.

"Sounds good?" Bree asked.

"Okay" Kayla replied. Both girls proceeded to unpack the 'suitcase'.

***

November 14th 2000

8:30 pm

Leon's Limo

Uncle Jewemy?" Pricilla watched as her five-year old daughter plastered her chubby cheek to the Leon's limo telephone and called out to her uncle; butchering his name in the most adorable way.

"Hey baby girl" She heard Jeremy say sweetly in reply. Her daughter stared up at her with her big doughy brown eyes and Pricilla placed her index finger on her plump lips signaling for Christy to keep their little secret. She was surprising Jeremy. He had expected her to just send Christy for a lengthy visit but at the spur of the moment Bobby had suggested they all go visit...she was too excited to see her family to protest. She didn't know where Bobby got that kind of money to take them all on vacation but she had decided not to ask. She needed this. Bobby chuckled when his daughter winked and proceeded to talk to her uncle. He leaned over to peck his wife on her cheek as she played in her Christy's black tresses.

"Thanks for this, Bobby" Priscilla said gently

"Baby you shouldn't be thanking me for taking you guys on vacation." He whispered into her ear as he placed light kisses on her neck and ear. "I'm gonna make things better, I promise"

"Stop it, Bobby" She turned to kiss her husband. Pricilla cradled his cheek and smiled "I've got all I need."

"Leon let you use the limo phone?" Pricilla heard her brother question his little niece. Christy nodded as if he could see her.

"Aw by myself" Christy said cheerily. Jeremy's laughter rung through the telephone

"My god, you're a big girl now, huh?" He asked. Christy nodded once more and Pricilla nudged her daughter.

"He can't see you over the phone" she whispered

"Yes" Christy drawled whilst playing with her mini gloves in her jean clad lap.

"Leon's gonna take you to Grandma and Grandpa's house and you're gonna get to see Uncle Rocco and Aunt Rita" Jeremy said enthusiastically hoping to excite the little girl. He heard Christy giggle and knew he had succeeded.

"Mommy told me to tell you she misses you." Christy said

"Oh, yeah? Well I'm going to give mommy a call real soon." He promised.

"Yay!"

Jeremy smiled at the sound of his niece's laughter.

***

8:45 pm

Jeremy parked his 2000 Pagani Zonda C12 and reached for the navy blue Armani evening gown that lay neatly across his passenger seat, gleaming under the plastic protector. He jumped out, headed for his front door. As he walked through the foyer Maria took his over coat with a sweet smile on her face. He smiled back.

"Hola" He said to her.

"Hi, Jeremy" She replied in her Spanish accent, walking off with his overcoat.

"Where's my grandmother?" He called to her.

"Kitchen" Maria threw over her shoulder.

As Jeremy entered the kitchen he caught sight of Kayla on her tiptoes reaching for something in one of the many cupboards that lined the entire room. As she leaned her head back her hair tumbled to the small of her back. He staunched a vivid memory of how good she had felt in his arms just the night before. Doris sat around the island, her head resting on the tops of forearms which rested on the cool marble. Once Kayla found what it was she was looking for he watched her sprinkle it into a big pot coughing up steam. She scrunched her nose and used her hand to waft the steam her way.

"So you're a cook now?" He walked into the kitchen, a small smile plastered across his masculine face.

Kayla jumped turning quickly to find Jeremy standing in the entryway of the kitchen, a smile on his face and something covered in protective plastic, carefully draped over his arm. She looked at him.

"The least I can do" she replied.

"Are you any good?" He jibed whilst heading for the stove. Jeremy grabbed a spoon and dipped it into the mystery pot. Kayla folded her arms. He cooled the thick liquid and then tasted it. As the spoon left his perfect lips Kayla stared at the way his Adam's-apple danced as he swallowed. His brows furrowed and her lips parted ready to defend their owner.

"Doris helped." He stated shrewdly as he went to dip his spoon back in the pot. Kayla stopped him, grabbing his wrist.

"How shrewd" She said indignantly. Her statement had Jeremy smiling once more; her breath caught at the sight.

"And don't dip the same spoon back in, nasty" She teased turning away from him before she embarrassed herself by staring.

"But she did" He insisted. Kayla's eyes narrowed.

"And what if she didn't?" She tested

"But she did" He replied. Kayla grabbed the spoon from his hand and tossed it into the sink.

"So?" She shot back. He chuckled and she couldn't help but smile at the beautiful sound. She continued to stir the stew Doris had taught her to make. He made no move to leave. Suddenly she felt the warmth of his hand travel from the very tip of her shoulder to the high bone of her clavicle...he slowly brushed her thick hair off of her shoulder. Kayla's heart beats grew at a quick pace and she was unable to slow them down.