Whispers of Redemption Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He called you Gianni" She murmured.

"That's my first name...the name he gave me. My middle name is Jeremy, the name my mother gave me"

"Gianni" Kayla said slowly, testing the name on her lips. She liked it. It was authentic.

"I don't use it."

"Because he gave it to you." she said without question. The car came to a slow stop at a red light and he took that chance to glance at her.

"I suppose so" He said quietly, his eyes carefully guarded; a talent Kayla envied

***

"When is your shift over?" He put the car in park as she unbuckled her seat belt.

"Twelve" She replied. "I can take the bus if you-"

"I'll be here. Wait inside, I'll send the valet for you."

"Why inside?"

"You didn't bring a jacket with you. It'll be colder tonight."

She gazed down at her clothing.

"Okay" She said "Thanks again"

"No Problem."

November 13th 2000

5:00 pm

Sacred Haven: Employees Room

"Total bitch" Mark shook his head. Mark tousled his blonde hair with his hand and smiled at Kayla. She had just started working at Sacred Haven and she was by far the calmest and most interesting person there. She didn't talk much but it made her words so much more profound when she did. He didn't know how he did it but he had convinced her to have lunch with him; although they both got their lunch break around the same time and most of the employees came to this room to have lunch, she was sitting with him. That was something at least. She had this subtle but completely magnetic beauty about her. He liked the way her smiles were always small and genuine and how when she really did smile everyone would stop to look. He liked the way her hair seemed to engulf her...like torrent black beach waves. He liked the light hazel if not gray color of her eyes and the integrity in everything she said. She had come to work with a bruise on her face and he had expected Koen to say something to her, maybe pull her aside...but he never did. The sight of her bruise made him want to hurt someone, not because he wanted to be heroic or possessive but just because he couldn't imagine anyone wanting even worse seeking to hurt her. He knew she was self-conscious of it because she made sure her hair was covering most of it at all times possible. Mark knew she knew he was staring at her but couldn't bring himself to look away.

"So she threw the wine on your uniform?" Kayla laughed

"Yeah, I guess I was rude. But I knew they were fake...I had to say something, you know?"

"No I don't know." she giggled "If she has fake boobs then she has fake boobs, you can't go around telling people that they might get breast cancer because of it. It's rude. I'm surprised you still have your job."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah... truth is the truth." He bit into his turkey sandwich.

"Kayla?"

"Yeah"

"How'd you get that bruise on your cheek?"

Kayla touched the sensitive spot with her finger tips and bit her lip. He instantly regretted the prying question. It seemed as if she was in an abusive relationship. The first time she had showed up she had several bruises on her face and neck that even her make-up couldn't hide; that wasn't exactly normal. He felt anger swell in him as he thought of a man hitting her. She was so kind and quiet...so beautiful. He thought of the man in the fancy BMW that drove her here. A guy with that kind of money probably had no respect for anyone. What was she doing with him?

"Was it that guy?" He whispered "The one that drove you here? You can tell me, Kayla"

A look of bewilderment crossed her face before her eyes flashed with understanding.

"Jeremy?" She choked, dismissing even the thought of what it would be like for him to hit her. He would never do that. "No! He would never do anything like that." She defended him with a vengeance so clear and tangible you could reach out and touch it.

"So what's the deal?" He pressed further, unwilling to let it go despite his better judgment.

"There is no deal." She said angrily as she grabbed up her lunch and started for the swinging doors. Mark's hand stopped her.

"I'm sorry" He stuttered quickly "I didn't mean to pry...it's just I wanted to know. And if you don't want to talk about it, I respect that." He said restlessly "Just don't leave me here alone with a turkey sandwich" A look of self-pity crossed his face and Kayla was surprised at how fast her anger dissipated. She tucked errant curls behind her ears and returned to her seat.

"You forgive me?" Mark lowered his head to peek under the blanket of her midnight black hair with a look of chagrin on his face.

"Yeah" She murmured with a smile.

"I don't know if that's what I want though" He leaned back in his chair playfully "You're pretty hot when you're mad" He finished whilst popping a few grapes into his mouth. Her soft chuckles lit up the small room. He wanted to kiss her so bad. He settled for a promise. He reached out his hand.

"Friends, Ms. Warner?"

"Friends, Mr. Robinson." She shook his hand firmly.

A few minutes later all signs of awkwardness had faded.

"Man, I mean, I know my mom wanted me to go somewhere like Harvard or Princeton. But you know what? State University is just as good. I get to stay here with all my friends and make money and shit. It's perfect."

"Options are a gift from the Gods" Kayla said

"Sure as hell right about that. What about you? What college you attending?" He rested his chin on his knuckles and his elbow on the lunch table.

"Um..." a slightly red hue crept into her cheeks despite her caramel tone. "I haven't applied yet."

Mark was quick to ease her discomfort.

"Cool, cool. I have a shitload of friends that are taking a break too." he assuaged.

"Yeah" she barely whispered "breaks are good."

"I could picture you at Harvard, playing the violin in a music theory class surrounded by other prodigies." He said enthusiastically. She was shaking her head half way through his sentence.

"I should've never told you I played." She sighed exasperatingly.

"That hurt" He feigned pain.

"I bet you're a beast" He laughed.

"Well I could probably scare you away with a violin in hand." She jibed. He laughed loudly

"You don't know how funny you are." Mark took a gulp of his water.

"You're pretty funny too." She stuck her tongue out at him. Suddenly the laughter drained from his face and a serious look graced his visage...a look of admiration entered his eyes.

"You're so beautiful" He said almost absent-mindedly as she watched his eyes take in her entire face. Immediately she fidgeted uncomfortably.

"I just had to tell you. I'm not trying to hook up or anything...I just wanted you to know." He smiled shyly

Kayla stared into Mark's light brown almost golden eyes and found herself smiling back. She liked Mark; he was funny and genuinely sweet. She wasn't interested in a relationship...that much was quite evident and permanent; but she didn't find herself wanting to shy away or run.

"You're not too shabby yourself" She found herself saying. The bright smile that lit up his face had her grinning foolishly back. He popped the collar of his Sacred Haven Dress shirt as a smug but completely out-of-character look crossed his face.

"I know" He drawled flipping his blonde shaggy hair for a greater effect; he looked so boyish. She laughed.

***

"Who is that girl? How old is she?" Paul sneered. Sarah sighed tiredly as she brushed her hair.

"She's a friend of his; she's eighteen." She said truthfully. "And I'll have you know she's extremely nice."

"Do I care whether she is nice or not Sarah?" Paul growled. "That boy is a fucking screw up, he hasn't called or spoken to Angela since the restaurant opening and while the Pelosi's sit and wait patiently for him to address them he goes out and finds himself a fucking black damsel in distress." Paul fumed as he paced the length of their master bedroom in his suit...looking like a force to be reckoned with.

Sarah swerved around in a flash of uncontrollable anger. Paul was always the bigot towards anything non-Italian.

"What does her race have to do with anything?" Sarah retorted

"She's not Italian. And she doesn't belong to any of the 'families'. Do you think I'm stupid? A fucking twenty-four year old with an eighteen year old girl for a 'friend'...a 'friend' Sarah? He's fucking her. And I won't have it. She gets pregnant and not only does the Moretti family and all the other damn rats running around have leverage but he is stuck with her forever. This Pelosi marriage is a done deal."

"Doesn't belong to a family? Did I belong to a family, Paul?"

"That's different" He grumbled. She knew what he meant when he emphasized different...they were in love and he was determined; the perfect components for commitment regardless of the obstacles.

"It's not different...if he's in love with her he should have the freedom to pursue a relationship" Sarah knew this wasn't the case at least she had not picked up on any signs of intimacy. He was ironically nurturing around Kayla and that said a lot about the extent of the two's strange relationship...rapport. But she had brought up love for the sake of defending her argument.

"Oh please, Sarah. That girl is nothing more than a tool of rebellion for him to torture me with."

"You're delusional. Not every damn thing is about you, Paul! You can't see anything past this supposed business. You can't see your son's happiness, or how-how calm this girl makes him...you can't see that you hurt everyone around you. You can't see that everyone that loves you enough to die for you won't be around for very long if you keep this up. I love Angela, but if she is not what my son wants I am inclined and willing to respect that." Sarah said morosely. She tried to push past his hovering body and he grabbed her arm.

"Supposed business?" He growled "What the fuck do you think keeps you alive, Sarah?"

"What do you think put me in danger in the first place?" She spat back at him

"You put yourself in danger when you chose me."

"Yes, Paul I did. Because I love you. Can't you see that? I love you" She nearly cried. His eyes softened as did his grip. But his jaw never unclenched. This was his way of saying he loved her too.

"Sarah I am responsible for this family" He said calmly "You can't turn back once you're in the family and I need you to understand that. I was born into this and was expected to play my role for the very same reason that Gianni must play his. To protect his family. We let go now and they'll go after our daughters first then your aunts and uncles and Doris and my uncles and father. And if I'm not dead by then they'll come for you and they'll come for me. Then they'll come for Jeremy...to strip this family of everything we have...just because they can. And I guarantee that your token son...your son that could do no harm and have no faults would kill every last soul if it meant protecting his family; if it meant protecting you.

Sarah closed her eyes as tears streamed down her suddenly haggard face.

"He's not as innocent as you think he is." Paul whispered as he wiped the tears from his wife's face and waited for startled baby blues to assail him.

"What?" She whispered, her tear-filled voice breaking. Paul knew how it would break her spirit if he told her what he had found out only this morning but he also knew how important it was that she made herself realize Gianni's fate.

"One of my men informed me that Gianni killed that girl's godfather." He said. Sarah scowled at him and roughly pulled her arm out of his grasp.

"And I'm supposed to believe you?" she growled despite the cry of her voice.

"Sam informed me, Sarah" He sighed. Sarah had known Sam from the day he was born; He was only five years older than Jeremy and extremely close to the family. She felt her throat tighten to the point where it became physically impossible to breathe. A cry left her lips before she could picture her son murdering another man. She covered her mouth with both hands as Paul enveloped her in his strong arms. Despite her hands a louder cry left her lips only seconds later as more tears gathered in her burning eyes.

"You're lying!" She screamed angrily, her hoarse voice echoing throughout the spacious room. Paul tightened his arm around her as she fought him in vain. The deep sobs that wracked her body shook him to the core and slowly but surely he began to resent his decision. He loved his wife. He might be a sad excuse for a man and a recovering alcoholic and that may have rendered him incapable of expressing that love...but he loved his wife.

"Sshh" He whispered lovingly into her ear. He fell unto the bed with her writhing in his lap. She called their son's name over and over again until her voice began to fade.

"No" She wailed softly. "Not Jeremy" She rocked back and forth mournfully. Paul buried his face in her soft neck knowing his body would eventually absorb everything she didn't want to feel. He would be her husband for a few more moments...he would forget that he had a family to save for a few more hours.

"Don't cry, Sarah" He whispered pathetically...aware of his inability to comfort his wife. Years ago her tears would've dried immediately and she would've buried her face in his chest for ideal comfort. Things were different now because he had become worthless. He hadn't hit her in years but he had changed things that night he had decided to drink.

***

November 13th 2000

6:30 pm

Loans and Investments:(Jeremy's workplace)

"What's up?" Jeremy shuffled around his desk for a file he would need in another thirty minutes for a meeting.

"Thought I'd stop by with some lunch" Rocco smiled his signature smile as he plopped a Tupperware dish on Jeremy's desk filled with Rita's famous lasagna.

"You're kidding me?" Jeremy reached for the bowl as if his life depended on it.

"She was quite happy today...got her to make the good stuff."

Jeremy laughed knowing that Rocco had gotten laid.

"Married life doesn't seem so bad" Jeremy joked as he pulled silverware out of his desk drawer and dug into the meal.

"Fuck no."

"No Pun intended?" Jeremy chuckled. Rocco's eyes narrowed.

"Keep your sick thoughts to yourself"

"This shit is so good." Jeremy groaned.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah" Rocco lifted the picture frame off of Jeremy's desk that held a picture of him and his youngest sister.

"Her daughter's coming here soon huh?"

"Yeah...she and Bobby are having problems."

"What kind of problems?" Rocco frowned

"Financial" Jeremy replied.

"How often do you send money?" Rocco asked already knowing Jeremy sent money...he loved Pricilla like his own life.

"Every week...four grand" He said between large bites.

"She sends it back." Rocco chuckled remembering her personality with an unhealthy clarity. Thirteen years ago he had been infatuated with the girl.

"You know her" Jeremy said dryly.

"What's Bobby doing?"

"Something in the movie business. Bastard is delusional" Jeremy grumbled.

"Wasn't he an entrepreneur last year?" Rocco laughed as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Aspiring; Pricilla won't leave him. You know she's pregnant again."

"Number two better be a boy. Man, he'd be everything I'm not." Rocco smiled.

"Stop trying to live your dreams through my sister's kid. You have one on the way big guy."

"True." Rocco's expression sobered as he pondered just exactly how he was going to explain his newest notion to Jeremy.

"I'm thinking about going legit." Rocco whispered. Jeremy wiped his mouth with a napkin as his eyebrow rose.

"What the fuck did Rita do to you?" Jeremy teased, only to see Rocco's eyes harden. So thiswasbecause of Rita.

"Hit me" Jeremy urged him to continue

"She was crying last night...well this morning. I can't put her through this. I have a feeling every time I leave she wonders whether I'm coming back... I can't have that. Two days ago I found a tracker in her car and..."

"What?" Jeremy bellowed. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because you're not in this Jeremy. I don't want to drag you into this anymore then you already are."

"Fuck that, Rocco! A fucking tracker?" Jeremy ran his hands through his hair in disbelief. "You brought it to Ray?"

"He said it was a Moretti bug...recognized the spy ware."

"Moretti?" Jeremy was taken aback.

"We're at war. Why the hell do you think Paul would ever consider ushering Angela into the Alessi family? He needs the Pelosi family. Moretti kisses Pelosi's ass the right way and we're outnumbered." Rocco admitted. Rocco would have never spoken about all this with Jeremy before...it was Rita's tears that had him sitting here admitting the Alessi family's possible demise. He was careful to never bring it up around Jeremy because not only was Jeremy his best friend but he had a part-a key role- in all of it. If he was to marry Angela or better yet join the administration he could secure the Alessi family's safety...he could single handedly secure the fading of the Moretti administration. It was the living heart in Rocco that had kept him from telling Jeremy all of this...knowing what actual love felt like, the last thing he would ever suggest was a business transaction marriage. He knew if he ever even expressed interest in the idea Jeremy would carry it out...do what he had to do for the sake of the administration and his family...knowing that he could trust Rocco's word that such actions would be necessary.

"How long have you known me?" Jeremy asked calmly.

"Too damn long."

"And you know that you going legit won't stop or fix anything." Jeremy said shrewdly "You're here because you want me to know that marrying Angela will save Rita." He said quietly.

"You break things down like a true cynic." Rocco breathed

Jeremy leaned back in his chair with an enigmatic look in his eyes.

"I won't let anything happen to Rita" his voice was borderline soundless

"You sound as if I can't protect her."

"There's only so much you can do." He retorted. "What is it that Frankie Moretti wants?"

"Paul killed his son five years ago. You remember when they had to send Sarah away for months...when Ray got shot in the leg and Marco's wife was killed."

"Tony" Jeremy sighed, remembering the name of the twenty-one year old Paul had killed in the name of revenge.

"It's gotten bigger than that...Frankie wants the Alessi fortune along with our contacts. He's been sending threats through letters and a messenger...Paul has kept it from Sarah."

"To the house? And you kept it from me?"

"I found out about the threats the same day I found the tracker and brought it to Ray." Rocco lowered his head in deep thought "He had three guys hold me down. Marco refused to hold me down...the night his wife died he killed ten of Frankie's men." He shook his head with a bitter laugh. "I had an AK in the back of my car; I was headed straight for Frankie's place. Make a martyr of myself." He shook his head remembering the irrationality running through his veins and blurring his vision...the fear of losing his wife.

"Shit, Rocco" Jeremy ran his hand over his face. Rocco had a flash point temper when it came to issues dealing with Rita's safety...he had a flash point temper to begin with but everything was much worse when Rita entered the picture.

"Fuck it. You marry that bitch Angela and I'll guarantee we'll still have a shitload of problems. She's not in this for alliance; she's in it for money. She'll divorce you before you're over the threshold and rob you for everything you've got...and after that to hell with any type of Pelosi alliance."

"You're subconsciously suggesting I enter the administration."

"I won't deny that" Rocco cleared his throat "You join and fuck going legit; we'll finish this. I understand you wanted out...I understand you never wanted in, but you stand still and the whole world will fuck you over." Rocco said. Jeremy nodded his head in agreement; he took a deep breath as he stared at his sister squeeze the life out of him in one of the last pictures they took together before she moved.