Who Do You Believe?

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

* * * * * *

Having found a suitable motel over the weekend, Vic went to work on Monday vowing to find out what was going on. He also was going to set things up to see that Lenny got what was coming to him.

During the day he was unable to uncover anything of use. However, he did manipulate the workload to assure that Lenny would work until about eight or nine o'clock tonight. He was grateful that Lenny was very proud of his BMW roadster and therefore he normally drove the few blocks to work rather than walk. The BMW was going to help with the payback.

Over the weekend, Terry had been wracked with guilt and a terrible sense of betrayal. She didn't try to contact Vic until late Sunday evening. They had to talk. She had to know what had made him do this. He didn't answer his phone the three times she tried and his cell phone was turned off.

By the time Monday came around, she was a total case of raw nerves. She didn't want to take this up at work, but she had to get some answers.

Shortly after lunch, Terry went to his office. Again her face bore the signs of another night with little sleep and probably a lot of crying. She asked if she could come in and he asked if it was on business. She said, "No, but that they needed to talk."

Vic got out of his chair and went to her. He didn't touch her but in a very quiet voice he asked her if she was ready to tell him what had gone on. She replied that right now she wanted to know why he had done what he did.

He then said in a low, but commanding voice, "Terry, I have already told you, there is nothing to tell. This is all a piece of fiction that you have created. I suppose you created it as a means to justify your fucking Lenny. We are not going to discuss any of this sordid mess here. I will be happy to come to the house when you are ready to tell me what's going on. Until that time comes just stay out of my sight." She started to sniffle and he told her to go back to her office.

After work he went to his motel room and gathered some things together that he had brought from home and that people would have considered strange under the circumstances. There was a dark canvass bag, a ski mask, a three inch piece of one inch pipe, a roofing hook knife, a twelve ounce rubber maul, a pair of old gardening gloves, a junior size baseball bat, a pair of worn out sneakers, and an almost thread-bare warm up suit.

He got something to eat and then watched TV until around seven-thirty. He then put on the warm-up suit and the sneakers and put the other items, along with the addition of six packets of sugar he picked up at noon from a downtown hotel, in the canvass bag. He drove to the firm's parking deck and parked in the shadows where he could see Lenny's car, the elevator door, and he could get out of the deck quickly and easily.

Lenny's car was in its usual place, near the elevator, with lots of light but just out of the sight of the surveillance camera. Crossing to Lenny's car he used the maul and the roofing knife to make a total mess of the BMW. It looked like a first class vandal's job. Windows broken, upholstery slashed, deep scratches in the paint, body dents, and the stereo and console smashed. Satisfied with his work, he emptied the sugar into the gas tank.

Going back to his car, he took out his cell phone and called his dad. His watch indicated that it was five minutes after eight. Long conversations with his dad were not at all unusual. Tonight was no different but his dad wanted to know why he wasn't watching Monday night football. With that he explained that he was in a motel and began relating what had happened over the past few days.

When he saw the elevator door open, about eight-fifteen, he told his dad to wait a minute; that someone was at the door. He placed the phone on mute, quickly put on the ski mask and gloves and grabbed the bat and piece of pipe. While quickly moving towards Lenny's car in the shadows, he wrapped the fingers of his right hand tightly around the pipe. He came out of the shadows a couple of feet from Lenny who was just discovering his vandalized BMW.

Lenny never knew what hit him. Vic delivered a hay-maker punch to his jaw with his right hand that sent him reeling. With the bat in the left hand he delivered a violent blow to his ribcage and as Lenny fell he drove his knee deep into his stomach (he meant to hit the groin).

Lying on the ground, Lenny was trying to protect himself from the blows that were being delivered to his body. He was able to cry out, "Please stop. Don't hurt me. I'll give you whatever you want."

Vic felt avenged, at least for the moment, and in a disguised voice he snarled, "I hate you bastards driving around in your fancy cars." He threw the pipe and the bat at Lenny, turned and disappeared into the shadows. He was happy and it had taken less than two minutes.

Returning to his car and pulling off the ski mask, he released the brake and allowed the car to roll down the ramp to the next level before starting the engine and departing the deck. As he had released the brake, he had picked up his cell phone, apologized to his dad for the interruption, and continued to talk with him for another twenty minutes or so.

He had worn a pair of running shorts and a t-shirt under the warm-up suit. When he finished talking with his dad, he stripped out of the warm-up suit and on the way back to the motel he discarded the items, one at a time, into different trash receptacles.

Returning to his room he still was very disturbed about a lot of things. But there was one thing he definitely was not disturbed about for the time being. There were two minutes in his life that were going to live forever in his memory. There are few times in one's life when the feeling of accomplishment seems so great.

Tuesday morning, shortly after opening, Mel came into the office leading a uniformed officer and a plain clothes detective. He said, "Vic, you probably haven't heard yet, but Lenny was severely beaten and his car was vandalized last night as he was leaving work. He's in the hospital and is going to be there a few days. I understand he stayed late to complete some work you had given him."

Vic put on a look of shock and amazement and confirmed that, no, he didn't know about it and asked how bad off was Lenny, and if they knew who had done it. Then he told Mel that yes, Lenny had stayed late and that he had expected him to be a little late today but had certainly not expected this.

Mel said, "I was sure you didn't know, but these officers would like to talk to you."

The detective spoke up and didn't beat around the bush as he asked Vic where he was last night.

Vic told him he was in his motel room.

Mel butted in and asked why he was staying at a motel.

Vic simply said that he and Terry were having a little problem right now and it was personal.

The detective cut back in and asked him during what hours he was in his room.

Vic played the part and in exasperation said, "Wait a minute, what the hell is going on here?" And then, indignantly he said, "Are you implying that I had something to do with Lenny?"

Mel tried to soften the situation by injecting that Lenny had said something about Vic when they were talking about the incident at the hospital. He noted that they realized he is pretty well banged up and under heavy sedation.

Vic said, "It doesn't surprise me that he would say something about me. Did he say anything about the job he was doing? I assumed that he would bring it to me this morning. Now I will have to go see if I can find it." With that he headed for the door.

The uniformed officer stepped over and blocked the door and the detective said, "Mr. Sailor, we are not accusing anyone. However, we must check out everyone who may have had a reason for disliking Mr. Halliway (Lenny).

With that, Vic fired back, "And who says that I dislike Lenny?"

The detective answered that Mr. Rizzo (Mel) had told them that he (Vic) had threatened him with bodily harm at one of the company functions after Mr. Halliway kept pestering your wife.

Vic, with indignation said, "That was well over a year ago. He quit bothering my wife and I haven't had any trouble with him since. Do I like him? Not particularly. I think he is a smart-ass so I deal with him strictly on a professional basis only."

The detective said that he understood but he needed to know where he was last night between seven-thirty and nine o'clock.

Vic acted as though he was trying to recollect if he had gone anywhere and then said, "Detective, as I told you before, I was in my motel room. I was there from after dinner, about six, until I left this morning."

The detective asked if there was anyone with him to which he replied, "No."

The detective grunted and then Vic popped back with, "If it is any help, I was on the phone with my dad during part of the time you described. You can check my cell phone record."

The detective grunted again and then asked why he was using the cell phone in the motel room?

The reply was, "You don't think I'm going to pay the ridiculous motel phone rates when I have a cell phone that is already paid for do you?"

The detective grunted again and then asked for dad's phone number. Vic gave it to him and then reached for his phone, turned on the speaker, and said, "Here, we can all talk to him right now and get this matter settled."

During the call, Vic's dad established that the call started just after Monday night football began (about 5 or 10 after eight) and ended about the time the third quarter was beginning (about 8:45).

The detective thanked him and told Vic that he would get an official print out from the cell phone company, adding that the information pretty well let him off the hook.

As the three of them left, Vic was about to burst. This was excellent therapy. The picture in his mind of Lenny suffering in the hospital pretty much eclipsed the visions of Terry's photos. He was also laughing, knowing that the detective had not asked one important question, and Vic had known the detective would never have thought to ask, "Was he on the phone with you the entire time?"

Shortly after the trio left, Arlene, his adopted at work mom, came to his door and asked what that was all about. Vic told her and then she asked if she could shut the door and talk for a minute. Vic always enjoyed talking with Arlene. He was wondering what he was going to do without her when she retired in a few months.

Arlene sat for a minute gathering her thoughts. Finally she told Vic that she hadn't said anything before since all she had was intuitions and suspicions. She was aware that something was going on between Mel and Lenny. Over the past six months or so they have been like bread and butter. They frequently got together and had discussions. About two months ago it dawned on her that any time someone approached them the conversation would change from a relatively quiet talk to a louder business oriented discussion. When they felt no one was within hearing range the conversation would be subdued again.

She went on, "Vic, just watching them, I believe they are involved in some kind of hanky panky here in the office. But, as I said, right now it is just suspicion, I can't provide one solid piece of evidence to support my feelings, but I know I'm right"

Vic was stunned at her revelation. He also knew that she had no love for Mel. After considering it for a moment he told Arlene what had just happened between him and Terry.

Arlene was shocked. Be she told him that now she was sure of her suspicions and she was going to snoop as much as she dared to find some answers. Then she gasped and looked him straight in the eye and asked, "Vic, (pause) you don't happen know anything at all about what happened to Lenny last night do you?"

Vic held her gaze and said, "Thanks for the information Arlene. Let me know what your snooping turns up. I agree that something is amiss and I too am going to find out what it is. It doesn't surprise me, but until now, I hadn't thought of Mel as being involved."

Arlene stood to leave and in a small voice said, "I hope Mel doesn't get caught in the parking deck like poor Lenny." This was said with a sort of nasty smile on her face.

Later in the day Arlene came back and suggested that he keep an eye on the lower locked drawer in Mel's office.

The personnel in Vic's division all have a file drawer with a combination lock on it for storing sensitive documents. But, Mel has two. Arlene stated that if you ever enter his office while that second drawer is open, he immediately returns what he has to the file and locks it. They both asked the same question together. Why does he need two files anyway? He is not directly involved in client work and basically the only sensitive material he should have would be personnel files that wouldn't even require one full drawer.

Vic determined that a look in that file might be useful and asked Arlene if she would help him get a look in that drawer. She was hesitant and Vic assured her she would not be directly involved. All she needed to do was create a momentary distraction. He told her he wasn't even going to make her privy as to how he was going to do it.

Fortunately all of the padlocks were company issued and were identical. Arlene, on Vic's signal was to walk into Mel's office and before he could put things away she was to scream and stumble. Vic was sure Mel would jump to assist her, leaving the drawer unprotected for a few moments.

Vic was patient and his patience paid off on Friday, just before quitting time. He called Arlene and said, "Now, as fast as you can."

She acknowledged his call and headed for Mel's office.

Vic grabbed the padlock from his drawer, which was open, and headed for Mel's office. Timing was perfect and he arrived just as Mel was helping Arlene to her feet. He stepped behind Mel as if trying to get in a position to help and picked up Mel's padlock, put it in his pocket, and left his own on the desk.

Vic told Mel he would help Arlene back to her desk. Mel thanked him saying it was late and that he needed to get things locked up and get home. They had theatre tickets tonight.

Hearing that, Vic said to himself quietly, "Thank you God. I need all the security I can get." As he was reveling in his good fortune, Arlene asked with concern, "Did you get what you needed?"

He told her he sure did and she replied that he couldn't have gotten much in that short time. He assured her that he had absolutely everything he needed and kissed her on the cheek as she sat down at her desk. She was smiling and shaking her head at him.

After a leisurely supper, Vic went back to the office. He got a key to Mel's office which he knew his secretary kept in a file folder at the back of an unsecured file cabinet. He opened the door, went to the locked second drawer and opened his lock. He put his lock in his pocket and placed Mel's next to the drawer.

He took out his digital camera and shot a picture of the drawer so that he could leave it as he found it. He noted that in addition to file folders, there were audio cassettes, video tapes, CDs, and even a few DVDs. Taking three folders he sat at Mel's desk.

When he opened the first folder, labeled "Terry," there were copies of the photos that Terry had brought home. However, in addition, there were photos of Mel having sex with Terry. It made him madder than hell. But he broke out into an audible laugh when he saw the size of Mel's pathetic little pecker.

He quickly glanced into the other two folder and found more picture of Mel and Lenny with other women who worked there.

He knew he couldn't stay here without the danger of being caught. He replaced the files, shut the drawer, and hung the lock in it without closing the hasp. He went down the hall to the library and got the library cart. Taking the cart he went back to Mel's, removed the contents of the drawer, placed them on the cart, and went to his office.

It took less than fifteen minutes for Vic to see that Mel and Lenny were running a sex ring for their private enjoyment and/or profit. Mel, the smug, pompous ass, had recorded many if not all of the conversations and it was obvious he and Lenny were blackmailing the women. It didn't take a quick mind to see that the latest victim, Terry, had just fallen into their net.

The tapes had a start and stop date on the label. One tape indicated it had ended today and probably was why he was into the drawer this afternoon. He placed the tape in his machine and hit the start button.

What he heard had him boiling mad. He would fast-forward and listen a bit and then fast forward again. Several excerpts were Mel and Lenny discussing their progress with Terry.

He was just about to quit when he heard Terry's name mentioned again. He backed up to the beginning of the conversation and heard Mel telling Michael Jameson (a senior VP and son of the CEO) that he would have things set up for him with Terry for tomorrow night.

Vic couldn't believe that Mel would be so stupid as to have set this up at work. He couldn't believe that Terry had fallen for this line of shit. Listening to it again though, he could tell from the background noises that the call had been to Michael at home, not in the office.

Vic took special interest in a folder labeled, "Customers." In the folder he found the names of six upper level managers who were obviously benefiting from this operation. One was the CFO (chief financial officer) and lastly senior vice president Michael.

Vic had not expected to find what he had discovered and had originally planned to copy anything that would help him straighten Terry out and then return the material to Mel's office. However, he could not afford to take a chance with something happening to this evidence. There was plenty room in his locked drawer so he put it all there except for several pictures and one tape. He then locked the drawer, taking the pictures and tape with him.

He returned the library cart and then went to Mel's office. With the hasp open, you can change the combination. He didn't care what he set it to. He just changed it, locked the drawer, and left. Mel would just have to get it cut off if he wanted back in the drawer next week.

He looked at his watch and it was just a little after eleven. In the car he called Arlene on his cell phone and, after apologizing for the late call, told her what he had found. She wanted to hear more details but he told her there were definitely going to be some changes in the organizational chart and he would tell her more on Monday. She pleaded for him to tell her more but he said he couldn't right now that he was pulling in to the driveway at his house.

She admonished him not to do anything rash with Terry. He assured her that he wouldn't but that she would definitely see an entirely different Terry by Monday.

At this point in his mental processing he was ready to kill Mel and Lenny. He felt some better now knowing that Terry had been seduced by the two. He still loved her but he was mad and hurt that she could have been so stupid and naïve to have listened to them without ever coming to him. No, he wouldn't, in fact he couldn't physically abuse her, but she was going to hear a few things.

He got out of the car, went to the door. When he inserted his key and tried to enter, he found the dead bolt was set. He rang the bell. Obviously Terry was in bed. He continued to ring and finally saw Terry peek through the side window curtain. She didn't say anything or move to open the door.

Inside, Terry was terrorized. What could Vic be doing here at this hour? He had told her that he wasn't going to talk to her until she told him what had happened. Has he just become impatient and decided he was going to force her to reveal what she knew and how she knew it? Her thought process stopped when Vic banged the door viciously with his fist and asked if she was going to open the damned door or was he going to have to kick the damned thing in.