Within These Walls

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Oh, and yes, she had long since learned how to put her best side forward, especially when it came to a presence in front of the camera. Sex sells, they tended to say. Well, Siobhan hadn't stooped that low, but for sure she knew that suggestiveness was the next best.

"I got it," Siobhan continued as she neared the one empty seat, leaned forward, and placed her phone on the middle of the table. "Don't you see it?"

"See what?" came a perplexed reply from one of those already seated, a similarly aged young woman with short dark hair.

"Oh... yeah," came a dreamy response from the sole male at the table. "I see it, alright."

"Jack!" the dark-haired young woman snapped, as she realised his gaze was fixed somewhere other than on the discarded mobile phone.

"What, Mary?" Jack replied. "Siobhan here asked if I'd seen 'em, and yes—"

"God, Jack!" The look on Mary's face screamed we are not amused as she scolded him. "Sometimes I think you've got a one-track mind. Siobhan was showing you her phone, not her tits!"

Siobhan simply smiled but made no effort at all to cover up. Sometimes, Jack and Mary were like an old married couple, not a couple of twenty-something grads.

All three of them had met at university, through a social media society, and you could say that the friendship had never ended, despite their obvious differences. It wasn't that they had a thing for each other. Mary had a boyfriend and was due to be married the following year. Jack had always had something of a soft spot for the gorgeous redhead leaning over the table, but he knew it wasn't to be, well not yet. Jack would live in hope, but Siobhan, well... suffice to say that she was too engrossed in chasing the supernatural, to worry about any earthly relationship.

"Latte, single shot, soya milk, no sugar," Mary continued, passing across the only yet untouched cup of coffee on the table. "Should still be hot. Then you can tell us all the news, but really Siobhan... really... I think you read too much into all this ghost hunting malarkey."

Siobhan sat down, much to the disappointment of Jack, and took a sip at her coffee. For a moment she needed to compose herself. She knew just what Mary thought about her obsession, but the figures didn't lie. Her ratings were going up, as were the number of views. So, somewhere out there, someone believed in what she was doing.

There was no point though in getting into an argument. That was why they were such good friends. Even if they disagreed, the three graduates would still be supportive of each other, would still look out for each other, would still protect each other, and Mary knew how much the ghost hunting meant to Siobhan. The only problem was that Mary wasn't a believer. Mary was much too rational in opinion to be convinced that there was something out there that couldn't be seen. In Mary's eyes, Siobhan's passion was wasted effort, and her audience... well, they were there more for the young woman herself than the chance of her seeing a ghost.

"I'm sorry, Siobhan... it's just... well, you know what I think," Mary continued.

"I know," Siobhan responded, her voice calm and collected despite the challenge, "but you're not going to change who I am. Somewhere out there I'll find what I'm looking for, I know I will. In the meantime, well... did you see the last video?"

As she addressed her friend, Siobhan took hold of her mobile and launched the YouTube app. A couple of clicks later and she was in her GhostlySiobhan99 channel, with her latest production playing back. Siobhan tried to justify her work.

"Look, Mary... forty-five thousand views, the best yet... and such fantastic comments..."

It hadn't really been a success, not when you thought about finding those elusive supernatural presences that she so sought after, but views were views, and her ratings were on the up. This one had been a couple of weeks back, a trip to an abandoned and supposedly haunted farmhouse in the Scottish Lowlands.

As usual, Jack was in charge of setting everything up, both tech and safety. Siobhan, well she was in charge of staying a night or two and reporting back on anything which went bump in the night, a task she achieved with her usual charm, enthusiasm, and just a touch of sass to keep the audience interested. Interested? Well, the norm was that the only thing of interest in these videos was the presenter herself, her cheery narrative, and her choice of attire for those late-night hours.

As for the ghost hunting, this time there was something which went bump in the night, but much to Siobhan's disappointment it turned out to be nothing more than a cauldron of bats calling the attic their home. It was a bit of an anti-climax, but the closest yet that the young redhead had been to finding the unexplained.

"Comments?" Mary retorted. "Did you read the comments? Yes, there's a few which take you seriously, but most just seem to be happy in pointing out that you're on a wild goose chase, or is it a wild ghost chase? Then there are the others... god, Siobhan... there must be some sad old men out there if they get their kicks by ogling young women in their nightwear."

"They're harmless," Siobhan countered. "It's not like I show them anything, nor that they even know who I am... and actually the thought that people may like to watch you is just a little bit exciting, as is—"

"Siobhan!" Mary interrupted. "Tell her, Jack! Tell her it's not good."

"Mary's right," Jack chipped in, not wanting to upset either woman, "but I know you are being careful, aren't you, Siobhan? It's not like you go anywhere without checking it out first."

For a moment there was quiet. Mary had said her piece, but she couldn't make Siobhan do anything she didn't want to. Jack had tried to calm the situation. Siobhan, on the other hand, was thinking of nothing more than the news she had intended to tell them when she first got there.

It was Siobhan who finally broke the silence.

"That's just it, Jack. I have a new place. It's an old manor house, and he says it has a life all of its own. That's what I wanted to tell you. This one's... I know it... this one's going to be the big one."

For a moment both Jack and Mary simply stared at Siobhan. It was Jack who was finally the voice of reason.

"Mary has a point, you know. Neither of us want to see you hurt, but we don't want to curb your passion either. You know how the last one ended. It wasn't exactly other-worldly, was it?"

"Yeah," Siobhan retorted, "I know. There's no such thing as ghosts, ghouls and things that go bump in the night... well, not supernatural things... but it is kinda exciting spending the night in these places... listening to every sound, every creaking floorboard, every rattling window. It's what gives me a buzz... that... and... well, I just love the idea of filming myself, especially when my heart is racing ten to the dozen. Come on... just one more?"

As she asked her final question, Siobhan gave Jack the eyes. He couldn't resist those eyes, wide open, deep dark brown set against almost perfect white, smoky make-up, and the most endearing flicker of eyelashes. He would do anything when she gave him her sultry stare.

"Just one?" Jack asked.

"Just one, Jack," Siobhan responded.

"So, where is it?" came the next question from her companion.

Suddenly Siobhan had that spark of excitement back in her face.

"That's the thing. As they go, it's on our doorstep, about twenty miles or so. Darcy Hall... a seventeenth century manor house named after the count who built it... and one hundred and ten percent haunted."

"Darcy?" Jack replied. "As in Mr Darcy of Pride and Prejudice fame? Oh Siobhan... I think somebody's playing a joke on you."

"But what if they're not? He said we could go look and see if it was the sort of place."

"Who said?" Jack asked.

"Look... here," Siobhan answered, holding out her mobile with the screen now showing her private messages. "His name's Ged."

"I dunno, Siobhan," Jack commented having read the message. "He could be anyone. you know... a prankster... a freak... or worse still... a—"

"Or, he could be for real," Siobhan interrupted. "There are some out there, who share the passion. I'm going whether you think I should or not. I'd like it if you came with me, but that's up to you, Jack. First signs that it's not what it seems, and I'll be out of there quicker than Usain Bolt... trust me on that one."

For a moment there was silence. Jack looked at Mary, then back at Siobhan. God, she was so direct, so stubborn, so... adorable.

What was it Jack liked so much about the young redhead? Was it her glass always half full nature? Was it her extrovert character? Was it her confidence in everything she did? Was it her endless determination to fulfil her dreams, however impossible they were? One day, Jack kept telling himself. One day he would pluck up the courage to tell Siobhan just how he felt, but they were still young, and for now she was most definitely not looking for anyone more than those elusive spirits.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Chapter Two

Three weeks later - their first visit to Darcy Hall

It might only have been twenty miles or so but, considering a couple of wrong turnings along the way and roads which seemed barely wide enough for one car let alone two, the journey had already taken close to an hour to make, and still there was no sign of any Darcy Hall.

Jack was driving, as he always did, and as usual he had his playlist on full blast. Track after track played out through the speakers...

Thriller... by Michael Jackson

Spirits in the Sky... the 1980's version by Doctor and the Medics

Ghost Town... by The Specials

Spirits in a Material World... by The Police

Misguided Ghosts... by Paramore

Siobhan just sat back in the passenger chair and played along. This was Jack all over. Every track had been selected for this very journey, each referencing the whole reason they were heading deep into the countryside.

The Road to Nowhere... by Talking Heads

Even this one, with not a mention of spectral incarnations in sight, had Siobhan smiling. As they meandered their way through country lane after country lane, the song seemed so apt. Jack had warned Siobhan to be careful and that she had no idea who this stranger was. That now appeared irrelevant, as it seemed that they wouldn't find their destination in the first place.

They were on their own road to nowhere. It was as they drove down the same stretch of country road for what must have been the third time, with the chorus stating the obvious about their endless journey, that Siobhan gave an almighty shriek.

"Stop!"

The sudden announcement from the passenger seat took Jack by surprise and he ended up slamming on the brakes, wondering just what had happened. Had she seen some poor defenceless creature about to cross the road right in front of them? Had they just driven headlong through one of her beloved spooks? Had she even come to her senses, and decided it was all a waste of time?

"What is it, Siobhan?" Jack asked, needing to know what had made her call out so unexpectedly.

"There... back there... didn't you see it?"

"See what?" Jack asked, turning his head, and peering out of the back window, expecting to see a blood-stained patch on the road behind. Even if he didn't see it, surely, he would have felt it, as whatever it was hit his car with an almighty thud.

"The turning, Jack. On the left, just as he said, a small hidden turning heading up into the woods. I can't believe it... three times, Jack... three times we've driven right past it. Back up! It must be the way to Darcy Hall."

Jack was astounded. He hadn't seen any road off to either the left or the right. How could he have missed it? Slowly, taking care not to veer off into the hedgerows, Jack reversed up the lane, only stopping when Siobhan called out once more.

"There!" she announced, looking out of her window.

"There?" Jack responded, confused.

There was a turning, but it was little more than a dirt track, rather than the driveway Jack was expecting. The track ran up the side of a patch of woodland before seemingly bending out of sight. What's more, there was still no sign of any house. The only sign that this might be anything more than a farmer's access path was a pair of stone posts which, after centuries of standing there, were now half hidden in the undergrowth. Surely if this was the way to some historical house, it would be both wider and better signposted.

"He said it was a small turning and that you wouldn't see the house until you got there. Have you seen another turning? Trust me, Jack. This must be the one. Come on, let's take a look. Do you think you can drive, or shall we walk?"

Actions spoke louder than words. Much against his better judgement, Jack pulled off the road. Driving slowly, Jack managed to miss the largest potholes, but still it was a bumpy ride. Before long, the woodland thinned out and a long stone wall became visible. The path ran alongside the wall before turning off to the left and passing through another pair of stone pillars.

There it was. Hidden out of sight of the road, shielded by both wall and woodland, stood what they could only imagine was Darcy Hall. It was definitely old enough, and even in its state of disrepair—the house wasn't exactly falling down, but it so could have done with a bit of tender love and care—it was imposing enough.

Built of the same stone as the wall they had just driven through, standing right in front of them was a two-storey house, with a gabled end at one side and a smaller gabled entrance way in the middle. The sheer physicality of the now weathered stonework was broken up by mullioned windows, some large and decorative, others smaller and functional, but no less impressive.

The roof, a mass of lichen covered tiles, was barely holding itself together. Then there were the chimneys, tall red brick chimneys reaching up proudly towards the sky. There were a couple at one end of the building, and what should have been four at the other end, albeit here you could see the effects of centuries of standing in the elements. Of the four, only two and a half were left standing.

"Is this it?" Jack asked, pulling the car over to one side of the courtyard and parking up.

"I don't know," Siobhan replied, climbing out of the car, and taking a deep lungful of the fresh country air. "I guess there's only one way to find out."

Before Jack had walked around to the passenger side of the car, Siobhan was already heading in the direction of the house, the crunch of gravel accompanying her every footstep. For a moment Jack stood and stared at Siobhan. Black leggings, clinging seductively to her every curve, had replaced her usual jeans. They looked no less appealing, especially when paired with one of her loose-fitting jumpers, this one a fluffy red number, balanced precariously on one shoulder, before hanging halfway down her other arm. Her long red locks did their best, but failed, to cover up any exposed skin, and the most noticeable of black bra-straps. Her trademark beret sat angled slightly on her head, the colour perfectly matching those tight-fitting leggings.

God, she was beautiful.

God, she was so decisive.

God, she was so...

By the time Jack took a step away from the car, his eyes still fixed on a certain redhead, Siobhan had already crossed more than half of the courtyard. She had a purpose in her stride, as she moved ever closer to the stark stone building. There was no direct indication that this was Darcy Hall, no carefully placed signage announcing your arrival. The only physical suggestion was a date carved into the stonework above the front entrance. Sixteen thirty-two the numbers read, so at least that put it into the right century.

Already, and despite still being unsure that this was the right place, Siobhan could feel her excitement build. She was nervous. Her breathing was coming fast. There was a tremble in her young body. There was...

Siobhan nearly jumped out of her skin as, with a crack from behind, the woodlands seemed to burst into life, birds taking flight in all directions around them. Jack, in his hurry to catch up, had stepped on a fallen branch. The snap, as the dried wood broke under his foot, echoed around like the sound of a shotgun. Looking back, Siobhan caught sight of a smiling Jack.

"Sorry," he said. "Trod on a branch."

With her heart still pounding, such was the surprise at what had just happened, Siobhan set off again toward the house, murmuring under her breath at the clumsiness of her companion. She had only taken a handful of steps further when the next surprise hit, and this time she couldn't blame Jack at all.

The day had been bright and still, with only a few wispy clouds breaking up the sky. It was a little chilly, Siobhan had to admit, but such a beautiful day for the time of year. So, what came next was once more totally unexpected.

It was like a gale force wind, hitting her from one side, knocking her beret to the ground, before sending it tumbling across the courtyard, with a certain redhead in chase. Siobhan was so intent on catching her flyaway hat that she never even stopped to question where the gust had come from, nor why her hat was still moving when all around her was now as still as it ever had been. Nor did she register the muted giggles which seemed to accompany every move of the hat. Eventually, Siobhan placed a foot down on the beret, stopping it in its tracks. Dusting her hat down, Siobhan returned it to her head, then waited for Jack to catch back up.

"Did you feel that?" Siobhan asked, for once happy to not be alone.

"Feel what?" Jack asked.

"Oh, come on. Now's not the time to play games. Did you feel the wind just then?"

"Nope," Jack continued. "Didn't feel anything, other than the rush of activity when I trod on that branch. Is that what you are talking about?"

"Come on, Jack. You must have felt it. It blew my hat off."

"Not a thing. I saw you picking up your hat off the ground, but I was too busy watching the birds to see what happened. I thought you had dropped it to grab my attention. God, Siobhan, those leggings cling ever so tight when you bend—"

"Jack!" Siobhan exclaimed, not amused that he was more interested in her ass than her headwear troubles. "I'm telling you, though... it wasn't me. It was..."

Siobhan's voice trailed off. If it had been a gust of wind, then Jack would have felt it also. If it wasn't a gust of wind, then what was it, and what was it trying to tell her? God, now Siobhan was getting paranoid about something and nothing. There had to be a plausible explanation. Maybe Jack had been sheltered by the trees and that is why he didn't feel anything. Yes, that was it... that had to be the rational reason for what had happened. Siobhan was just getting herself carried away with her passion for ghost hunting.

"So, are we?" Jack asked.

"Are we what?" came a surprised reply.

"Well... are we going to see if this is the home of your Mr Darcy, or are we heading home ourselves?" Jack clarified.

Moments later, the two friends were standing by a huge wooden door. There was no knocker nor bell pull, and with a house this age there wasn't exactly going to be an intercom or the likes. Gently, trying to be polite yet loud enough to make themselves heard, Siobhan knocked on the door, and waited... and waited. There was no response, not even the sound of movement within the emptiness of the stone walls.

"We must be in the wrong place?" Siobhan suggested, disappointed at the realisation that this was nothing more than a derelict old house, and that the follower she had trusted so much had been nothing more than a crank getting his kicks by sending her on a wild goose chase.

123456...8