Without You I Have Nothing Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JAScooter
JAScooter
115 Followers

"But why you, Susie? You're the only woman who has accepted me as I am. You've been kind to me, kinder than I ever deserve and you cared for me. Yet, I was an animal."

"Better me than someone else." In her kindly way, she lifted his face to kiss his cheek. "I don't think you'd go well in jail. No," she smiled and stood, "You're far too sensitive."

Their discussion had covered a lot of ground and it seemed to Susie a good time to use some simple culinary skills to soothe his distress in a more practical manner. Peter allowed his thoughts to ramble until she returned with two steaming mugs of soup.

"Drink this and listen to me." She was almost motherly. "You've been hurt so much you expect to be hurt."

Peter sipped and listened. Perhaps she could produce the knife to slash the tangled web and set him free.

"Now as an adult you still expect to be hurt and it hurts more now. Just, look at yourself. You're successful - you've a lot going for you. You're kind, considerate and thoughtful and by God, you'd be an unbelievably incredible lover."

She blushed a little – a rare thing for Susie. Still she stared at Peter. Putting down her soup, she stood and walked in front of him. Grasping his head in both hands, she held it so firmly that he felt he couldn't escape the intensity of her gaze.

"Has that penetrated that thick head of yours? You have a lot more going for you than most, so now it's time to get rid of the anger."

She began shaking his head from side to side until he begged her to stop.

"Susie, stop. Stop, I understand."

Susie laughed. "Now this 'someone special' that Jennifer mentioned. There are many reasons why she picked someone up at the airport. What if he was her boss?"

"A boss doesn't slap her backside unless he owns her."

Susie blanched but she wouldn't stop. Ignoring his interjection, she continued, "You jump to one conclusion and are hurt. I suppose I can't blame you. You've had no relationship in your life with which to judge this one."

Peter could feel the tears beginning to flow once again. Susie's countenance hardened.

"Stop feeling sorry for yourself or I'll slap you hard." Like a mother, she badgered him until he admitted that perhaps he might have been mistaken.

"Go on, Peter, don't give up. Just because you're an adult, you've given up fighting. If you want her, fight for her. She won't throw herself into your lap. That's not the way of women."

They sat and talked into the night.

"Susie, how can I thank you? How do I show how very sorry I am for Friday night?" Peter didn't know how to apologize. "I don't deserve a friend like you."

"I believe you've already thanked my husband and me. You secured him a marvelous position and the little I have done doesn't repay you in the least." She led Peter to the door.

"If you stand there looking lost like that, I might just drag you back inside. Forget Friday night. I have. Actually, I realized how much you wanted me and I felt flattered. It did the old ego good." She laughed at his surprise. "Now go home to bed."

As she softly closed the door, she added, "Just be there when I need you."

The next morning at work, Peter could have fainted. Yet another monster stood outside the workshop ready to deliver. The workers must have toiled overtime to get this one ready. His heart sank at the prospect of yet another drive.

Joe was not at all happy when he arrived. He snarled and growled at everyone, especially Peter.

Believing he'd wrecked everything he had struggled so hard to establish and wishing to make amends, Peter called Joe from the paint booth.

"Joe. Come upstairs, I want to talk."

Joe didn't look the least surprised as he walked into the apartment.

"I'm sorry for Friday. You're a first class workman and an even better foreman. I don't ever want to hurt you or lose you. Please. I'm so sorry for Friday. It's just things got out of control."

"Jennifer? Yes, I know."

So Joe had known all this time. Peter supposed that being a married man he had been through it all.

"I worked Saturday and she rang first thing. Then she called in. There was a handsome young man in her Mini so I knew why you had exploded."

He laughed and, to Peter's surprise, he found himself joining Joe's laughter.

"Funny though, she was so worried - seemed frantic. Demanded to know where you were. Even rang the company in Bathurst on the office phone. She nearly went crazy when the foreman said…"

Peter's first thought was that someone had mentioned Susie. Oh, my God they couldn’t have mentioned Susie. He tried to think whether Susie had been with him at the freight yard. Jennifer would never understand that.

"What did he say?"

"You hadn't arrived." Joe continued. "Jennifer wanted to launch a land and air search."

They both chuckled. Joe sounded as though he had cracked a joke but Peter knew he was relieved that his boss was back safely.

"She stayed for ages, hoping you'd ring. I had to throw her out so I could lock up. Don't know what her passenger thought. He didn't look at all amused as they drove off, but something strange happened. I watched a car pull out and begin to tail them. Three men were in the second car, so I wondered what was going on."

He changed the topic.

"Tell me you drove that load back from Bathurst." and he pointed to the truck in the street outside waiting the new driver. It dwarfed the cars and buses going past.

"It was a handful.” Peter laughed. “I thought if I changed gears once more, I'd scream. My legs tremble at the thought of driving that through the traffic."

"No wonder you look tired.” Joe moved to the door. "Have a rest for a while. You've earned it. I'll try to make another million for you."

Laughing, he left.

Rest, Joe had said but Peter wondered how he could rest. Everyone was giving him orders. Joe said rest. Susie said fight. If that's what his friends demand then he would obey.

With his hands behind his head, Peter stretched out and leant back in the chair. Unseeing, he didn't think - he just stared, at the ceiling.

Suddenly the peace and quiet of the apartment was shattered as the door crashed open and Jennifer flew into Peter's arms hurling them both to the floor where he lay spread-eagled under her.

"Oh, Peter. I missed you so much. Where have you been?"

As if, she didn't know.

"I thought all kinds of things had happened to you. I've been so worried." Violently she kissed him, not allowing him to draw breath.

"So this is the hooligan who has been pursuing my sister." A wondrously warm voice burst into the room and a glorious chuckle bubbled from the chest of the man bending over them.

"What are you doing to her down there on the floor? Haven't you Sydney people any decency at all?"

A strong hand dragged Jennifer to her feet and then Peter felt the grip of the same calloused hand haul him from the floor.

"Wait until I tell Mum her daughter's no lady." His chuckle burst into a roar of laughter.

"Well, don't stare at me as if you've seen a ghost." Jennifer's 'someone special' was laughing and gripping Peter's hand with a firmness that showed he approved of Peter.

"I'm Andrew and I know who you are. I've heard nothing but Peter this and Peter that for months, not to mention this weekend."

Peter realized he was looking into Jennifer's green eyes. He was almost looking at Jennifer's face but for the shadow where Andrew had shaved that morning. This man's hair wasn't exactly black but was definitely darker than his sister's.

"Well, don't just stand there. I need something to drink. Thirsty work traipsing around after Sis."

Jennifer followed Peter into the kitchen.

"Jennifer, get back out here at once. I don't trust him." Andrew knew they were in each other's arms.

Neither of the lovers stirred until two hands wrenched them apart. "I need a drink," he laughed. "Come on, Sis."

He dragged her out of the kitchen. "We'll never get a drink if you don't stay out here."

She shook herself free.

"Oh, well - you two go out. I'll make a pot of tea."

"Peter, what happened? You said you'd be at the bar on Friday night. I asked Bob if he'd seen you and he gave me this silly note."

"Well," he allowed his eyes to skim over the note but he did not explain.

"Tell me,” with her hands on her hips she stood, her eyes flaring, demanding an answer. "I've been worrying until I was sick the whole weekend. The note doesn't make sense."

"I rang you," Peter replied and she nodded.

"You were so excited you barely had time to speak to me. You gabbled something about 'some-one special' and hung up." It all sounded so stupid telling her but her lips were two tight red lines and she was furious.

"I arrived at the bar and the two of you walked in. Andrew had his arm around you and you showed you loved his attention."

"Why shouldn't he and why wouldn’t I react like that?" Her eyes were flashing.

"And he smacked your tail when you sat as though he owned you. He was so handsome and you were so obviously a couple I could only think I had lost you."

"Am I interrupting a lover's tiff?" Andrew's gentle voice broke in. He placed the teapot on the table and walked across to Jennifer. "Calm down, Sis. You're lucky. If I'd been Peter and Peter me, there would've been murder done if Peter is half as serious about you as I believe he is."

He put his arms around Jennifer's shoulders. "Stand up straight, head up, chest out – oh god, well perhaps not,” and he began to laugh as Jennifer punched his ribs.

"Stand still. Peter, take a good look. No wonder we looked such a charming couple. We’re identical twins, although God in his wisdom gave me the height and the beauty. Sis only got the brains and those two bumps."

Again, Jennifer punched him as he laughed. "As youngsters we couldn't be separated but as we grew older my voice changed and my hair darkened. Sis didn't have such luck."

"Andrew. I am such a fool but I love your sister so much it hurts." He reached across and took Andrew's hand in both his own. Their warm handshake said it all.

Jennifer was glowing with happiness.

JAScooter
JAScooter
115 Followers
12