Wolf Lake Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jude was conscious of his open appraisal and wondered what he thought. She was curvier then most of her pack. Her hips and thighs tended towards plump instead of the long, lean lines of women like Sam and Natasha. Still, she'd been told that her curves gave her a more feminine feel in a man's hand.

Dresden, in animal form, was magnificent. His coat was almost blue it was so black and appeared sleek. Unlike the thick fur of her wolf, his coat was made up of short hair. Would it feel like silk, she wondered? Jude, wanting to run her hands down the long length of him, shifted slightly closer.

Dresden sensed her interest and paced slowly back and forth. Panthers were solitary creatures, coming together for a few days to mate before heading back out on their own. Dresden, far from home, had gone longer then most since last mating and found himself responding to the woman's attention. He found the fact that she was a werewolf intriguing. He'd fucked plenty of human females in his time but never a lycan that wasn't a panther.

Jude watched the play of muscles as Dresden moved back and forth in front of her. She'd been waiting for someone to come along that interested her, someone that would challenge her. None of the males in the pack offered up much in the way of excitement. She'd coupled with a few of them over the years and none of them sent her heart beating or her blood racing the way the sight of Dresden and all his power did. Already, she could feel herself growing wet at the thought of him.

Dresden paused mid-step as the first hint of her desire hit the air. Lifting his head, he sniffed, surprised at the slightly sweet scent. Back to pacing, Dresden continued to watch her. Never having been part of a pack, he wasn't used to women seeing and appreciating him in animal form. When panthers came together to mate it was in animal form, remaining that way until the female conceived. He found that he wanted her to touch him, to learn how her hands would feel against his animal. Deciding, Dresden prowled closer, brushing up against her leg and inviting her to touch.

Surprised, Jude slowly lowered herself until she was kneeling beside him. Taking advantage of the invitation, she reached up and cradled his jaw in the palm of her hands before running them down his neck, across his chest and finally down the length of his back. His coat was sleek and short, silky but not exactly soft. Unlike a wolf, Dresden stood closer to the ground and was wider across the chest. His paws were enormous and contained retractable claws that he could use to climb trees as well as strangle his prey. Shivering a bit at the thought, Jude stood and stepped back. "Thank you."

Dresden backed away slowly, keeping his eyes on her face. He could feel himself growing hard and had caught the spike in her arousal from touching him. He wasn't sure what she wanted or expected; it was rare for lycans of different species to associate with one another - let alone couple. You didn't cross-breed and lycans of different species could never produced offspring.

Jude watched Dresden back away from her; noting the time, she realized that she'd been gone longer then she meant. "I'd better get back; Nafarius and Roland will kill me if they find out I was out here alone."

Dresden didn't move, didn't give any indication that he heard or cared, he just kept watching her. Not sure what she'd expected, Jude slowly backed up until she reached the edge of the clearing. It wasn't until she was sure that she was out of sight that she turned her back on him and ran home.

She slowed as she neared the clearing; keeping an ear out for Nafarius or Roland, Jude was relieved to find a number of pack members moving about. Everyone appeared to be busy and were unlikely to take note of her return.

Jude had just stepped out from the tree line when she felt a hard grip on her arm. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath and turned, prepared to take the worst of it from Nafarius or Roland. Opening her eyes, she was surprised and relieved to find herself staring into Sam's bright green eyes. Her relief at not having been caught by either Nafarius or Roland was short-lived.

"Next time you pull a stunt like that I'll skin you myself," Sam said. She'd been worried at finding the young woman gone, relieved at seeing her slipping into the clearing and furious at Jude's stupidity. Just then the wind shifted and Sam caught the distinct scent of panther. Her eyes narrowed slightly but all she said was, "I suggest you make sure Nafarius and Roland catch a glimpse of you soon before either one of the notices you were gone."

Jude nodded, "Thank you for not saying anything."

"Don't make me regret my decision," Sam warned. She watched Jude until she was sure that the young woman would remain with the pack. Jude was one of her favorite pack members; young and full of life she was easy to be around.

"Samantha?"

Sam turned at the sound of her name to find Jonas and Lillian watching her. "It's Sam."

Lillian smiled, "Of course. Do you have a minute to talk?"

Sam felt the knot in her stomach tighten. She'd spent the day keeping busy, aware that Jonas and Lillian had been meeting with various pack members. Nafarius had warned her that Jonas had requested an audience with Gertrude and Natasha; she hadn't learned until later that they were also talking with several others. Realizing that the moment had come, Sam looked around for Nafarius. She didn't want to meet with the Council members alone.

Jonas seemed to understand. "I already sent someone with my request that Nafarius join us. He should be here in a moment."

Sam nodded and indicated a small sitting area off to one side. "Why don't we sit?" The clearing wasn't empty; like the inside of their den, there were several small sitting areas with fire pits open to anyone. There was also an area for the children to play or take lessons as well as a small space set aside for training.

"I was hoping," Sam said, addressing herself to Lillian, "that I might talk to you at some point about the twins?"

"Of course," Lillian said, a hint of surprise in her voice. "Was there something specific you were worried about?"

"No," Sam said. "We saw an OB while we were in the city and he assured me that everything was fine. Obviously, he doesn't know about my...unusual...circumstances so I wasn't able to ask if there was anything I should be worried about."

"Well, I'm sure he told you that twins are often born early and on the small size. That's true for humans and lycans alike. Twins are not any more common among our kind and our bodies tend to handle them the same way." Lillian considered Sam as she sat across from her. Despite her advanced pregnancy, she carried herself with ease, her grace uninhibited by the extra weight. "Your extra strength and healing abilities as a lycan make pregnancy easier. I'm guessing that despite carrying twins, you haven't felt tired or overtaxed?"

Sam shook her head. "No, in fact I feel great."

Lillian nodded, "It is very rare for a lycan to have complications relating to pregnancy."

Sam would have asked more but just then Nafarius arrived, Roland right behind him. Sitting down next to his mate, Nafarius took her hand in his and addressed the two Council members. "So?" he snapped.

Jonas smiled despite Nafarius' commanding tone. "I'll get right to the point, as Council members, we have absolutely no concerns with respect to Samantha regardless of her abilities - whatever they may be." Sam felt some of her tension ease. "We spoke with Gertrude and Natasha as well as several other members of your pack." Seeing Nafarius start to say something, Jonas held up his hand for silence. "I know that I only asked to speak with the two women but after talking with them we thought it best to talk with others as well. We were careful not to speak about anything that wasn't already common knowledge so have no fear on that front."

Jonas addressed Sam directly, "It is obvious that you are well loved, respected and appropriately feared by your pack. Everyone we spoke to talked about your love and care for your pack, even when that love sometimes requires you to punish." Turning to Nafarius, he said, "You are lucky to have found such a strong mate."

Nafarius nodded but didn't say anything knowing that there was more to come.

"We heard two very different accounts of the use of your ability; Gertrude has some very strong feelings regarding what happened to her but it was clear that she was being punished. She feels that she was right to strike out against a weaker pack member and that your interference was inappropriate..."

"Not when that member was under my specific protection," Sam interjected.

Jonas and Lillian both nodded. "Of course; I am familiar with pack dynamics and you're correct. Gertrude chose to strike out at weaker member but failed to note that she wasn't without protection. The choice was hers to make and she suffered the consequences.

"As for Natasha; she is obviously very grateful to you and your ability. She is convinced that had it not been for you she would have died from her injuries, unable to heal as she was in human form." Jonas looked to Lillian who nodded for him to continue. "It's obvious that your ability can be used in many ways. You've used it both to punish and to protect..."

"Actually," Sam said, unable to keep a slight edge from her tone, "in both cases I was protecting someone. I was protecting Maddie; the fact that Gertrude was punished in the process was simply a...bonus."

Dresden, having just joined them, grunted in approval.

"I understand," Jonas agreed. "But my point remains the same - your ability has many uses. It is a tool and like any tool it takes its character from those that wield it." Turning to Nafarius, he said, "I know that you recognize the danger in the possibilities. It's why you were careful in speaking with Thomas and why you asked him to hold his report as long as possible."

"I won't apologize for what I did," Nafarius said.

"I wouldn't expect you to," Lillian said. "You were protecting your mate and your pack; it's what any good leader would do."

Nafarius nodded but still wasn't happy. "Earlier you said that the Council decided on a less formal approach to this matter; what will happen when you return to the Archives?"

Jonas and Lillian shared a look; it was Lillian that said, "Actually, we won't be returning. We would like to stay until after the birth of the twins; I would like to offer my skills as a Healer to help..."

"And be here when Sam is once again free to change," Nafarius interrupted. "The answer is no; you have what you came for. You know that Sam is not a threat and there is no reason for you to remain."

Sam watched as Jonas' entire demeanor changed. Up until that moment he'd appeared kind, almost benevolent. All of that disappeared; in the blink of an eye Sam saw the bear that had been slumbering beneath the surface stir. "I would remind you that you are speaking to a Council Elder; you do not issue orders to the Council. Do not mistake our informing you of our intent to remain as asking permission." Jonas felt Lillian's hand on his arm, allowing the gentle touch of his old friend to calm him. "I would also caution you that once we return, the records regarding Sam and her abilities will be unsealed and once again part of the public Archives."

"Why?" Nafarius growled.

"As we said, there is no threat from Sam and therefore no reason to seal the records," Jonas answered.

"That may be true but the same cannot be said for Sam if you make this a matter of public record," Nafarius said. "Once that information is out there is no telling how others will seek to use it."

"You're effectively painting a target on Sam," Roland added, having been listening quietly.

"We understand that there is risk involved," Jonas said.

"Risk?!" Nafarius snarled and started pacing. "You know damn well..."

"She's already a target," Dresden interjected quietly. "If I'm right and the death of your pack member was the result of one of Storm's men then word is already out."

There was a moment of silence as everyone recognized the truth in the Hunter's words.

"Not only that," Dresden continued. "But if there is anyone you should worry about it's Storm. There isn't anyone more ruthless."

"Dresden," Jonas said. "That's enough."

Dresden caught Jonas' warning glance. "Jonas, they have a right to know what they're dealing with."

"What are we dealing with?" Sam asked quietly.

Dresden caught himself in those green eyes and knew that he had to tell her the truth. "He'll hunt you down, using humans and lycan alike and killing anyone that gets in his way. Once he has you, he'll turn you over to his people who will study you. They won't be passive or gentle; they'll use everything from pleasure to pain to see how you react, recording everything you do and say in detail. They'll take you to as close to death as possible if need be in order to learn the secrets to your abilities and determine whether or not it is something they can recreate. If they can't recreate it in a lab there is a good chance they'll try and breed you with humans or other lycans. When they're done, when they've learned all there is to know, they will kill you." Dresden wasn't done, "If they can't get to you, they'll go after your children."

Sam covered her belly protectively with both hands.

"That's enough," Nafarius growled.

"She has to know; you have to know. Storm's already sent one man and you lost a pack member because of it. Don't underestimate him," Dresden warned.

"Nafarius," Sam said quietly. "It's alright. Now we know and can plan."

Nafarius stared down into the beautiful face of his mate. He could see fear in her eyes but there was also determination as well. Nodding, he turned back to Dresden. It struck him at that moment that while he didn't trust the man he was grateful for any help he might be able to offer. "What do you think Storm will do next?"

"He'll wait. I only found traces of the one shooter. My guess is that he sent one man with orders to watch and report back. It was simple misfortune that your pack member stumbled across him." Dresden considered what he knew about the man. "He'll know that we're here, that I'm here and assume that I've filled you in on him and his unit. He'll wait, probably until the twins are born, and then send in a team to go after Sam."

Nafarius nodded as if Dresden confirmed his own suspicions. "It's what I would do; let some time pass for us to get comfortable and maybe send additional men to watch in the meantime."

"Either that or attack now, before we have a chance to prepare," Roland suggested.

Nafarius and Dresden both considered the possibility. Dresden finally shook his head, "No, he's not prepared to take her. Everything is happening too quickly, he'll want to make sure that any attack will succeed."

There was another moment of silence before Sam finally said, "So we prepare. We wait and prepare for both the birth of the twins and for Storm."

"And when he gets here?" Dresden asked her.

"We kill him." Sam said, effectively ending the discussion. "Now, if you'll excuse me I need to help with the evening meal. Perhaps you would like to join us tonight?" she asked the Council members hoping to lighten the mood.

"We'd be delighted," Lillian said, accepting for all of them. They all turned and watched as Sam walked back into the pack's den. No one missed the new tension that seemed to weigh on her shoulders.

The evening meal went unexpectedly well. While some of the pack members remained uncomfortable, most seemed to have accepted the Council's presence and enjoyed sharing the meal.

Despite summer starting to wind down, it was still light out well into the evening allowing those gathered to eat outside and enjoy the warm weather. Nafarius stood with Roland watching as Jonas and Lillian mixed with a number of pack members. Apparently, their earlier conversations had gone a long way towards making the pack comfortable with the other lycans.

"Do you think Dresden is right?" Roland asked.

Nafarius considered the Hunter. "I don't know but his is the only information we have."

"You trust him?" Roland asked, surprise evident in his voice.

"No," Nafarius said. "We'll plan as if Storm could be here tomorrow. I won't have anything happen to Sam."

"Of course," Roland said.

Eyes narrowing dangerously, Nafarius watched as his mate approached Dresden. "What the hell is she doing?"

Sam slid into the seat next to Dresden. It hadn't escaped her notice that the man preferred to be alone nor that his eyes continued to stray to where Jude sat with a number of other young ladies. She waited until he turned to look at her before saying, "If you want to fuck one of my bitch pack members, more power to you. But if you ever disregard the safety of any of my pack again I won't bother hunting you, I'll strangle you in your sleep. Do I make myself clear?"

Dresden's eyes narrowed dangerously and the small snarl that escaped at the confrontation threatened to turn into a roar as Sam bared her teeth in response. The two of them sat there for several seconds; him waiting to see if she'd back down, Sam waiting for some sign of acquiescence. Unafraid, Dresden nevertheless realized that he was in her territory and that she only sought the protection of someone in her care. Taking a deep breath, Dresden let it out, some of his tension going with it. "My apologies, I did not mean to endanger anyone."

Satisfied, Sam nodded. "Jude's a good choice," she said, noting that his eyes had already returned to the young woman.

Dresden's eyes snapped back to Sam. "Do I need your consent or that of your mate?" he asked, realizing that he had no idea of the proper protocol for pursuing a werewolf.

Sam laughed, "No, but you damn well better get Jude's." Standing, Sam stretched. "She'll give you a good run." Looking down, Sam was once again drawn to the power she felt radiating from him. "I suspect it's been a long time since anyone has challenged you."

With that, she turned and left, Dresden watching as she returned to where Nafarius sat with Roland and his mate.

The next day, Jude was finishing up the last of her cleaning when she felt the hair on the back of her neck prickle. Turning, she scanned the area, her eyes landing on Dresden. He'd been watching her all morning. Sometimes she simply felt his presence, his never wavering gaze, while at other times she spotted him standing just within the trees. She knew that he was waiting for her, watching to see if she would remain with her pack or join him.

Dresden wasn't the only one that had been watching her; Jude looked from Dresden to where Sam sat with a book. Sam looked from Jude to Dresden, gave a small nod and went back to her reading.

Jude looked back at Dresden and felt a slight catch in her chest. He was beautiful; dark and lethal, he reclined against a tree, his hands resting lightly on his thighs, completely at ease. Realizing that she was staring, Jude took a deep breath, slipped her hands into the pockets of her jeans and started across the clearing. The closer she got to Dresden, the tighter the catch in her chest grew causing her nipples to harden almost painfully. Stepping past him, Jude had to fight to breathe past the desire that was building beneath her skin.

Dresden watched Jude as she stepped past him; catching her scent, he closed his eyes and reminded himself that she wasn't prey. Intellectually, he knew that, but every instinct was telling him to run her down until she fell beneath him.

Jude glanced back to make sure that Dresden was following her. He walked silently, not a sound marking his passage as he slipped through the trees leaving the brush undisturbed. They walked in silence, Jude unsure what to say, Dresden content to watch her as she led the way. She wore another pair of low slung jeans, the waist sitting snug on her hips. She walked with an almost rolling gait, drawing his attention to her round ass and that place where it met her thighs. Unable to wait, Dresden reached out and grabbed her wrist, spinning her around to face him.