Always Darkest for Dawn

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, let me be the first to congratulate you guys. I feel certain if there is any couple that's right for each other it's you two," she said before hugging and kissing each.

"Thank you honey," Dawn replied, "and please do me a favor. Don't tell anyone yet, even George. I'll call you later and we can talk, okay."

"Whatever you say, I'll talk to you later," she said as she climbed into the car.

"Don't worry Dawn. The ring I gave you is only a placeholder. Just until I can afford a good one though who knows how long that will take," he said as they walked hand in hand in the direction of the motel.

"Johnny, no ring can mean more to me than this one," she said stopping and looking into his eyes, "even if the other one cost a million dollars. But can I ask why you proposed now? I hope you didn't feel pressured because of how I was behaving."

"Well let's say the situation prompted me to act fast. I don't deny I wanted to reassure you that I'd be there for the long run but like I told you Sunday after church it's where I see us heading anyway. Besides I have a feeling it will be a long engagement so you'll have plenty of time to come to your senses and back out."

She could see the twinkle in his brown eyes and knew he was teasing but she still punched his arm before resting her head against it as they started to walk again. Once they reached his room he practically tore her clothes off before tossing her naked body onto the bed.

"Since I'm leaving tomorrow morning I need to get my fill of you, as if that's possible," he told her as he stripped, "so don't plan on leaving this room until then."

Crawling between her legs he began to lick her already wet sex as she whispered encouragement.

The following morning found them in the parking lot as John prepared to leave for the drive to Auburn. Despite them being about to separate again they were both in good spirits with the prospect of being together soon.

"So we do it just like we planned," he said as he threw his duffel bag into the trunk, "I'll earn as much money as fast as I can while you see if any of the girls in your sorority can arrange for some job interviews or maybe even line up a job for you. I'll call you regularly and if your dad tries to prevent that I have Thelma's phone number or you can have Tanya contact me. I figure I'll be here by Halloween at the latest so be ready."

"I will honey, and don't worry. The sooner the better but you know I'd wait for you forever if necessary. And though I won't say anything right away I'll work on Daddy and give him a chance to do the right thing. Either way we'll be together soon; one way or another."

When they kissed goodbye it lasted a long time but finally John pulled away and climbed into his car. The engine roared to life and he smiled and waved as his foot pushed down on the accelerator. Dawn stood there watching until the Mustang disappeared from view and though it was a hot day she felt a chill she couldn't explain.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Tennessee, August 1992

Dawn's feet made no sound as she walked along the overgrown trail though it was slow going. The further along she traveled the more the vegetation impeded her progress until she had to use her hands to push her way through. As time passed the ground began to gradually slope downwards and as it did it also became wetter to the point of being downright boggy in spots and her slippers made a squishing sound when they contacted the soft earth. Then to make matters worse she came upon a fork in the trail forcing her to stop and ponder which branch to take.

The right path appeared to be the wider of the two and it seemed more level while the left hand trail continued sloping downwards and as her eyes shifted between the two Dawn felt a powerful sense of déjà vu come over her. Wanting to understand why, she paced back and forth in the limited space as she wracked her brain trying to remember if she'd ever been there before. Unfortunately her mind was cloudy, her memories fragmented at best, and the more she attempted to remember the past the more her head hurt.

Suddenly there was a movement to the right and when she turned she saw two small yellow lights in one of the trees high above. Her heart pounding she took a step backwards while keeping her eyes locked on the lights when without warning they hurtled toward her. Stifling a scream she attempted to run when she tripped over a protruding root and fell heavily, her head bouncing off the ground. As Dawn lay there, stunned and prone, the horned owl glided past ignoring her as it searched the wood for prey.

She regained her senses a few minutes later and staggered to her feet. Though her head had a dull throbbing pain centered where it had struck the earth her mind felt the clearest it had in ages. A grim expression showed on her face as she began to walk down the left hand trail with a determined gait. With every step bits and pieces of disjointed memory flooded back to her, almost overwhelming her in their intensity. More than once she had to stop and hold onto a tree limb as she collected herself before she could go on.

The trail twisted in a serpentine manner as it sought out the drier ground and before long it stopped descending. After a few more bends it ran straight and true and as it did the trees around it began to thin. During this time it had gotten progressively darker due to clouds obscuring the moon but when Dawn entered a clearing the moon suddenly burst free of its vaporous bonds. It bathed all below in its silver glow, illuminating the landscape like something from an alien world. As Dawn stood and stared memories of this place became crystalized in her mind and as they did she began to tremble.

"No, it can't be; it just can't be. Sweet Jesus no!" she whispered to herself.

There on the far side of the clearing was the figure she'd been pursuing from her house, standing there motionless. Step by shaky step she crossed the clearing drawing ever closer. Despite the bright moonlight she still couldn't make out any details, just a vague humanlike form. It was only when she was nearly on top of it that the veil was lifted prompting her reaction.

"No," she screamed, "no Johnny no!"

Dawn turned in a panic and began to run back the way she'd come as fast as she could. First one slipper then the other came off her feet as she fled but she was unaware, all that mattered was getting away and escaping the past that gained on her no matter what she did. Taking a quick look back she lost her footing and slipped. She staggered unsteadily for another few steps before she ended up falling onto her knees.

Dawn frantically turned around but nothing was there; besides her the clearing was empty. Sprawling head down on the grass she began to cry hysterically, her body wracked with sobs. It was true, she now knew, it hadn't been a dream or a nightmare but true.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tennessee, October 1972

Dawn paced about her bedroom impatiently as her eyes shifted between her pink princess phone and the clock. Her suitcase sat on the bed, packed and ready to go. At that moment she was as excited as she'd ever been in her life. Her eyes glanced down at the simple gold plated ring on her finger and she smiled at the thought she was about to start her new life with Johnny. All she was waiting for was his phone call to let her know he'd arrived. Then she'd leave this little town in the dust without a backward look.

For a brief instant she felt a pang of sadness because it was all she'd known in her young life .Most of the people she loved were there including her daddy but when she pictured the face of Johnny she smiled. In the future after they were married she could return triumphantly and she had no doubt that her daddy would be forced to accept it as a fait accompli.

What was taking him so long she wondered as she stared at the phone, willing it to ring. If he didn't arrive soon they'd never make it back to Auburn that night. The thought of him driving too fast and being in an accident crossed Dawn's mind, her mood suddenly changing. Unable to take it any longer she crossed the room and opened the French doors. She stepped onto the veranda leaving them ajar so she could still hear the phone. Looking at the grounds below she saw her daddy standing there wearing his familiar seersucker suit and white Panama hat.

Dawn was about to call down to him for she didn't want to leave on bad terms despite all that had passed when to her surprise she saw two men approaching him. She didn't recognize either of them and neither looked like the type of man her daddy usually associated with. They appeared rough and unkempt with neither being clean shaven. One of them had on a dirty t-shirt along with jeans and boots while the other man was sporting overalls and a flannel shirt with the sleeves cut off.

Her daddy walked forward to greet them and after exchanging handshakes they stood together and talked. More than once her daddy gestured in the direction of the woods beyond the house and after a couple of minutes they separated with the strangers heading in the direction of the woods while her daddy walked back to the house.

Now what could that be about she wondered. It was mighty strange her daddy meeting with such men though she shouldn't concern herself with it. Whatever it was about had nothing to do with her for in a little while she'd be gone. That is if Johnny ever got there. Dawn went back into her room and picked up the phone. She called Thelma on the odd chance that he may have called there for some reason. To Dawn's dismay Thelma hadn't heard from him either. Still she took the opportunity to again wish Dawn good luck when all of a sudden the sound of Timmy screaming loudly came over the line prompting Thelma to say she'd be right back.

As Dawn sat waiting she heard what sounded like a car approaching. From the loud rumbling she suspected it was Johnny causing her heart to race. 'Come on Thelma,' she thought, 'get back on the phone so I can go.' It took another few minutes for her to return and then Thelma had to say goodbye. She started to cry which made Dawn do the same. Finally she was able to end the call with the promise she'd be in touch once she was settled in.

Grabbing her suitcase she headed downstairs as fast as she could. Instead of first going to the front door she decided to say goodbye to her daddy so she went to his study. After knocking she went in but the room was empty. Maybe Johnny would be willing to wait for me to say goodbye she thought as she headed for the front door.

Her heart skipped a beat when she saw the Mustang sitting in the drive but Johnny wasn't by it. Shaking her head she wondered what was going on. It seemed no matter who she looked for she couldn't find. Putting her suitcase in the foyer she searched the ground floor for her daddy with no success. Finding Novalyne in the kitchen she questioned her .To her surprise Dawn learned her daddy said he had to go out for a little while but he'd be back soon. Even stranger was that when she went outside there still was no trace of Johnny. Walking around the house she found neither hide nor hair until she began to get a really bad feeling.

"Johnny," she called out repeatedly as she began to walk further from the house. Remembering how her daddy had pointed in the direction of the woods while he'd been talking with those men and with nothing else to go on she started in that direction. It had been years since she'd roamed the woods as a girl but she remembered there were a number of trails in the area so she made for the closest one.

A minute later as she was hurrying along it she spotted a white handkerchief lying beside the trail. Bending down she picked it up and she could tell from the monogram that it belonged to her daddy. Jamming it into her jean pocket she began to walk faster when she was faced with a dilemma for another trail branched off the one she was on. Trusting in fate she made a choice and took the new branch. It seemed to be the right one for as she traveled she saw clear signs of broken branches and trampled undergrowth along the edges which spurred her on. As she walked she called out to both Johnny and her daddy but there was no reply.

When a few minutes later the trail branched again Dawn didn't hesitate but took the right hand path. She made good time for the trail was wider and soon it sloped up gently as she traveled along it. The trees along its border were large and imposing, walling in the path as it continued to climb, now a bit more steeply. It was when Dawn came upon a bend in the trail that she discovered she'd made the wrong choice. There was a gap between the trees on her left allowing her to see the land below. There in the distance she saw what appeared to be a clearing and in it she could see two figures.

One of them was her daddy she was certain by the way it was dressed and her heart leaped in her chest as she recognized the other as Johnny. Even that far away she could tell by how he stood and his perfectly proportioned form. A smile came to her lips and she paused a moment to savor the sight of him when she suddenly let out a strangled cry and began to sprint back from the direction she had come. For as she watched she noticed there were two more figures at the edge of the clearing and they were creeping towards Johnny from behind.

Dawn stumbled and fell twice as she ran down the hill at breakneck speed but both times she got back up and went on. She had to get there, no matter what, for she knew if she was there nothing bad could happen.

____________________________________________________________________________

"Okay Mr. Johnson I've gone along with this up to now, so tell me what this is all about," John said as he walked along with the older man into the clearing.

"I told you boy that I didn't want Dawn to hear this conversation..."

"I have a name, its John."

"Fine, fine. Well John like I told you earlier I have an offer to make you, one that is very generous. All you need to do is leave my daughter alone."

"Not interested so if that's all..."

"You didn't even listen to how much..."

"I don't care how much."

"I understand. You assume if you marry her you'll get it all when I die so there's no need to settle for part. But what you forget is that if I cut her off you get nothing."

"No, it's you that doesn't understand me. I don't give a fuck about your money Mr. Johnson. I love Dawn and I'll provide for her in the future. If you're so messed up that you'll turn on your own daughter because you don't like the guy she loves I don't know what to say to you."

"You think you're clever I see and I have to give you some credit. For someone of your ill breeding you have remarkable control. I have to tell you that Delilah couldn't believe that you resisted her charms. Not many men can do that I assure you. But even if you really love Dawn you're simply not worthy of her. So I'll try one last time..."

"Well I'm glad it's the last time so I won't have to tell you no again. I swear I have half a mind to tell Dawn all the shit you've pulled. If I don't its only because I don't want to hurt her, something you don't seem to care about."

"How dare you! What I'm doing is protecting her from her own poor judgement. In the future she'll thank me."

"Keep telling yourself that you sick bastard. Later."

When John turned to go he saw that there were two large men inching up on him. Once they realized he saw them they rushed forward.

"You left me no choice boy. Teach him a good lesson," he heard Mr. Johnson say.

He barely had any time to react before the smaller of the two was upon him throwing a wild haymaker which he managed to block with his left arm. John countered with a straight right hand to his opponent's nose and he felt satisfaction as it gave way beneath his fist and the man crumpled to the ground. Before he had a chance to do anything else the second one tackled him and John felt his breath knocked out of him as the big body landed on top of him.

The goon pushed himself up so he was straddling John at which time he began to rain down punches on the young man. He was able to raise one arm to cover his face which helped absorb some of the damage but he was still taking a beating and he knew he couldn't take much more. Using his free hand he reached between the man's legs and grabbed and yanked his testicles. The man howled in pain at which time John moved his hand away from his own face and managed to stick his thumb in the bruiser's eye and gouge it.

Not having expected this kind of fight from a college boy the goon's only thought was to put some distance between the two of them. He flopped away then rolled trying to get away but by this time John was in such a rage that he moved to attack. Getting to his knees he launched himself on top of his larger opponent who was belly down and he managed to wrap his arm around his neck. John's arm and shoulder muscles bulged as he applied pressure as the man frantically flailed beneath him. The man managed to push himself up so he was on his hands and knees but he couldn't shake the enraged young man who was slowly strangling him.

By then the other goon had managed to stand with some assistance from Mr. Johnson though he was still reeling as blood spurted from his nose. Seeing what was happening to his friend the man bent down and picked up a stone before rushing at John. He heard him coming and half turned his head as the man swung with all his might. The stone crashed against John's temple with a sickening sound and he toppled to the ground, his body limp.

"Roscoe, are you okay?" the man with the stone asked as he stooped to check on his companion.

"The bastard nearly choked me to death," the man gasped as he rolled onto his back.

"I know. I think the motherfucker broke my nose," Bobby said as he sank to his knees.

During the altercation Mr. Johnson had stayed well clear but once it was over he moved forward. Realizing that his hired muscle would recover he checked on John and when he did his face blanched.

"Boys, we have a problem. I think he's dead. You weren't supposed to kill him just beat him a bit and teach him a lesson."

"Oh shit! Mr. Johnson, you saw what was happening. If I didn't stop him he'd have killed Roscoe. Damn, he fought like a maniac. You should have warned us what he was like. It's not my fault."

"Well let me think what to do, this is going to be a problem I dare say if the boy's reported missing."

Roscoe had gotten to his feet while Mr. Johnson spoke and was prodding John's motionless body with his foot when an anguished scream came from the edge of the clearing. They all turned to see Dawn standing there with her hand against her horror stricken face and a second later she ran straight towards them.

"Get away from him! Oh my God! Johnny!"

Her father tried to intercept her but she was too agile. She evaded him and rushed to John's fallen body. The two roughnecks looked at each other not knowing what to do as she threw herself next to her love and shook him. When she saw his crushed skull with the blood oozing out Dawn lost any semblance of sanity. Wailing like a banshee she rose and launched herself at the closest person who happened to be Bobby. Her nails scratched his face like talons and it was only good luck on his part that he wasn't blinded for she had gone for his eyes in her fury.

He attempted to seize her arms but she was so wild he only managed to grab hold of one of them when Dawn kicked at his groin. It wasn't a direct hit but it was enough to hurt him and without thinking he backhanded her hard, sending her tumbling down where her head struck the ground.