Always Darkest for Dawn

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Be careful, that's my daughter!" Mr. Johnson yelled.

"Well she's a hellcat and she tried to pluck out my eye. God damn it for agreeing to this job! If I knew what was gonna happen I never would have agreed. Now what are we going to do? She knows what happened."

"Don't worry about her, I'll handle that," Mr. Johnson said as he knelt down to check on her.

Dawn was unconscious but breathing regularly, her chest rising and falling softly as Mr. Johnson cradled her in his arms. The hired muscle stood a bit back whispering to themselves as he thought about what he could do to extricate them from the mess they'd created.

"May God and Dawn forgive me," he whispered before turning to them and speaking in a decisive tone. "I'll tell you what we're going to do. One of you is going to come with me and carry Dawn home. I have a friend who's a doctor and he'll help me with her. I'll make sure that the truth never comes out. What you're going to do is dispose of his body so it won't be found, ever."

"That's no problem sir. The catfish and snapping turtles in the Hatchie will make short work of him."

"Fine, fine. And you also need to get rid of his car that's in my driveway but you need to do it in a smart manner. No getting foolish and selling it. It can be traced back to him and therefore to us. Don't get greedy. If you do this right you'll have more money then you've ever seen but if you screw it up, well we'll all hang together. Now let's go."

_________________________________________________________________________________

Tennessee, August 1992

Dawn walked like a zombie on the return journey, her eyes barely registering anything more than the path directly in front of her bare, muddy feet. She ignored the biting mosquitos and the vegetation that scratched her skin, her mind still reeling from what she'd seen and remembered. It was only after reaching the green lawn that surrounded the plantation house and seeing the light still on in her daddy's study that she became more aware. She crept forward with a crafty expression until she was crouching beneath the study window where the voices of Doctor Howard and her daddy came to her ear.

"Well what do you want me to say Henry? We've gone over every option and none of them are any good. If I thought there was a way to help Dawn regain her faculties without remembering the past I'd try it."

"Doc, we have to do something. I can't bear to see my baby like this anymore, I just can't. It's been twenty years of suffering for the both of us."

"Well I'm open to suggestions Henry. How do you think I feel? I violated all my professional ethics and standards because of this damn situation. There are times I can't bear to look at myself in the mirror because of what I've done. If the medical board knew of my actions I'd lose my license at the least and I deserve to. Having a young woman committed to an asylum under false pretenses and drugging her up for the past twenty years so she can't remember is criminal and immoral."

"What if you try cutting down on the medication again Doc?"

"We can try Henry but it's not that simple. Every time I've tried before the nightmares return with a vengeance and you beg me to make them go away. And it's getting tougher to medicate her safely because of her resistance building up over the years. It's at the point she needs a strong dose to calm her down and an even stronger one to make her sleep and then she needs the pep pills in the morning so she's not in a stupor all day."

"I know, I know. But when she wakes up screaming with that look in her eyes like she's remembering I don't know what else to do. Oh how I wish that I'd never gone down this path Doc. I'd do anything to undo what I've done."

"Well so would I Henry but the past can't be erased. Tell you what, I'll come by tomorrow after my last appointment to see how Dawn's doing and we'll see about adjusting her dosage."

"Thanks. Do you want a drink for the road Doc?"

"No, I think I've had more than enough. Good thing it's late and there won't be anyone on the road or I would probably hit them in the condition I'm in."

"Let me walk you out Doc," Dawn heard her daddy say at which time she rose and hurried for the stairs, just making it to her own room before the sound of the front door opening came to her.

The next morning she rose earlier than she had in years and after seeing the torn and stained condition of her nightgown and robe she stripped them off before rolling them into a ball and putting it in the waste basket. Walking nude into her bathroom she dispassionately studied her reflection in the full length mirror. She observed a number of scratches and bites marring her body from her nocturnal adventure but beyond that there was nothing one could find negative about her appearance.

Her breasts were still firm and rounded with barely a hint of sagging despite her forty one years. Her stomach was almost as flat as it had been back when she was prom queen and her derriere was as delectable as ever. Her long hair though matted with mud was still silky with no trace of silver threads among the golden. Even her face was remarkably unchanged with nary a wrinkle except the faintest hint of fine lines by the corners of her blue eyes.

It was her eyes however that Dawn couldn't bear to look at, for they were haunted, haunted by all that they'd seen and this was reflected in them. Stifling a sob she turned away and turned on the water to as hot a temperature as she could tolerate before stepping into the shower. But no matter how hot the water was or how hard she scrubbed nothing she did could wash away the feelings she was having, it would need something much stronger than simple soap and water to purge.

After drying herself Dawn opened her medicine cabinet and stared at the different bottles sitting inside. A feeling of disgust overwhelmed her and she grabbed the bottles with the intention of flushing all the contents down the toilet when she changed her mind. No, she'd have need of them for one more day she decided. Filling a glass with water she swallowed down two of the uppers before taking the rest of the medication with her.

After dressing she sat in front of her mirror and brushed her long hair and applied her makeup before heading downstairs. Novalyne was bustling around the kitchen and was surprised to see her up and dressed so early, especially after how out of sorts she'd been the previous day but Dawn simply stated that a good night's sleep had done her a world of good.

So while Novalyne cooked up a hearty southern breakfast Dawn slipped inside her daddy's study. Knowing how late he'd stayed up and how much he'd drunk the night before she had no fears about him walking in. Sitting at his desk she began to open the drawers and search through them when in the second one she discovered something. It wasn't what she'd been seeking but once she spotted it she removed it. The .38 Special Smith & Wesson revolver felt heavy in her hand as she examined it, turning it over in her hands before checking to see if it was loaded. Snapping the cylinder back into place Dawn raised the gun and pointed it before putting it on the desk and resuming her search. It was in the top drawer that she found what she'd been seeking. Slipping the bottle and the gun into her purse she headed back to her bedroom.

Twenty minutes later Dawn knocked on her daddy's bedroom door before calling out to him. "Breakfast is ready Daddy, get it while its hot," she said before going downstairs.

She was nearly finished with her breakfast by the time he entered the dining room dressed in his robe and pajamas. He kissed her forehead in passing before sitting down and looking at his daughter with a quizzical expression.

"Good morning Baby," he said while Novalyne poured his coffee, "how are you feeling this morning? You're up early."

"I feel fine Daddy," she answered while avoiding his eyes, "and I was thinking that I'd like to buy myself a new dress today. Do you mind if I do?"

"Of course not Baby. Get whatever you like and just put it on my account. I'm glad to see you're feeling better."

"Thank you Daddy," she said before wiping her mouth with a linen napkin and dropping it onto the table. "I'll see you later."

Dawn kissed his cheek on her way out but before leaving the house she went back into the study and returned the bottle to the drawer. Later that morning she found a dress she adored in the small boutique located on Main Street. It was a blue silk summer dress with a red rose pattern and it reminded her of happier times of the past. Dawn was so pleased with it that she wore it out of the store. She didn't return home but instead leisurely walked around town enjoying the hot summer weather. It wasn't until mid-afternoon that she arrived home to find Novalyne preparing to put a chicken into the oven to roast. A little later Henry heard a knock on his study door then a few seconds later Dawn breezed in.

"Hi Daddy, how are you doing?" she asked as she absently looked at some of the books in his bookcase.

"Not so well Baby, I feel a bit off for some reason," he said as he wiped some sweat from his face with his handkerchief, "but you seem chipper. Is that your new dress?"

"I feel right as rain Daddy. Yes it's my new dress, do you like it?" she replied while doing a spin before walking over to his bar. "What you need is a nice drink to feel better and I'll make you one. By the way Novalyne is making us a roast chicken for supper."

He heard the clink of ice in the glass before seeing her pour in some of the amber liquid. She walked over and handed him the glass before perching herself on the corner of his mahogany desk and watching him greedily drink down the alcohol. Once he had she stood and slowly walked around the room, looking at things and rearranging a knickknack here and there. After doing a circuit of the wood paneled room she returned to stand by the desk.

"Gee Daddy, you don't look so well," she told him while touching his clammy forehead and that was true for he looked pale and was sweating profusely.

"My chest..." he began when Dawn interrupted.

"I'll get you a glass of water, maybe you should take some of your heart medication Daddy."

His hands fumbled at the drawer before he pulled out and opened the medicine bottle. He put one in his mouth then swallowed it down with the water she brought him. His heart was racing as he sat back and he hoped the pill would help but he didn't see the point in taking any chances. He picked up the phone receiver and began to dial when to his surprise Dawn bent down and grabbed hold of the telephone wire with both hands and after bracing her foot yanked it from the wall.

"Were you going to call Doctor Howard, Daddy? Sorry but I can't let you do that. I have to go see him about something myself and you calling him would only ruin that. By the way if I was you I wouldn't take any more of that medicine either. I may have replaced your capsules with some of my mine. I don't believe amphetamines are good for your weak heart, are they. And there's no point in calling Novalyne either. I forgot to mention that I gave her the rest of the day off. It's been so long since she visited her sister's family that I thought it was only proper. She does work so hard taking care of us that she deserves a little break now and again."

"Dawn, Baby," he gasped, his breathing now ragged and labored.

"Well Daddy, I'd love to stay and chat but I need to go see the doctor. I do love you, but I'm sorry I can't forgive you for what you've done to me. Goodbye."

With that she kissed him one final time and without a backward glance left the study. Dawn stopped by the mirror in the front hall where she fixed her lipstick before putting on a hat and checking to see how it looked. While she did she heard what sounded like a loud crash come from the study. She adjusted the hat one final time and seemingly satisfied exited the house.

Twenty minutes later found her sitting in the waiting room of Doctor Howard's office exchanging small talk with his receptionist Carol. She smiled in the woman's direction after the doctor appeared at the door and gestured for her to come in.

"Now what can I do for you Dawn? I have to say I'm surprised to see you here after how you were feeling yesterday. I had planned on going to see you this evening."

"Well it looks like I saved you a trip Doctor," she said while sitting in the chair across from him.

She crossed her legs and as he watched the dress shifted up until it had bared half her thighs. His eyes nearly bugged out of his head as he stared at her shapely legs prompting Dawn to laugh.

"Well I see you haven't changed any Doctor. Ever since I can remember you've looked at me like that. I know you usually try so hard to be subtle but a woman always notices these things. Do you like what you see?"

"Umm, aah, Dawn what are you getting at, I mean what's gotten into you?"

"Maybe the devil's gotten into me Doctor," she said as she stood and approached him, "and perhaps what I'm getting at is it's time to let Carol run along. That is so there's no one around to disturb us while we do things, bad sinful things."

Dawn leaned down and whispered into his ear and when she did she made sure he had a good view of her creamy white cleavage while she promised him all his heart desired.

"But Dawn, I'm a good friend of your daddy as well as your physician, it wouldn't be proper," he protested weakly.

"What Daddy doesn't know won't hurt him. This will be our little secret Doctor. No one has to know. The same way no one knows how long you've wanted me and lusted after me. Maybe even before you should have, but don't worry, I never told. That is if you still want me. If you don't I suppose there must be some men in town who will," she said as she straightened up and walked to the closed office door. "What's it going to be Doctor, am I walking out of here or am I getting comfortable? You choose."

Though seeming to struggle for all of thirty seconds with the decision it really was a foregone conclusion.

"No, don't go," he said in a hoarse voice, "sit down and I'll be right back."

Dawn smiled and a minute later she heard Doctor Howard telling Carol that since Miss Johnson was his last patient of the day and he'd be driving her home and having dinner with the family that she could leave early. They discussed tomorrow's office business for a minute until he could manage to hustle her out of the office. When he returned Dawn was standing next to the desk in her lingerie and heels and she had a half full glass in her hand.

"Here, have something to drink," she told him as she pressed the glass into his hand, "and then get comfortable. I got it from your secret hiding spot in the bottom drawer behind the files."

Taking the glass he attempted to kiss her neck but she eluded him and slipped to the far side of the desk.

"No, have your drink and get comfortable first. Then the fun starts."

He removed his jacket and placed it on the chair before taking a large swallow then pulling at his tie. A minute later found him sitting in his boxers and socks as Dawn poured another drink and handed it to him.

"Wait, don't drink it yet," she said while reaching into her purse which sat on the chair she'd vacated earlier, "have it with these."

She slammed a bottle of pills onto the desk then watched him. He picked it up and read it before looking back at her.

"Dawn I don't understand, this is your medication..."

"Well its simple really Doctor. I'm giving you a choice and I'm betting you take the one on your desk. Much less painful than this choice, wouldn't you say?" Dawn said as her hand emerged from her purse.

After she said this Doctor Howard found himself staring down the barrel of a revolver pointed straight at him.

"Dawn, you don't mean this, you must be confused and not well. Please let me help you," he said as he began to rise.

Dawn moved her arm to the right a few inches and pulled the trigger with the bullet shattering a framed diploma on the wall behind the doctor before ricocheting off in another direction.

"Sit down or the next one won't miss," she said as she again trained the gun on him. "Surely you remember my Daddy taught me how to shoot when I was fourteen and what a natural I was. Now sit down."

With his body shaking and his ears ringing he complied with her order.

"Now open the bottle and take all the pills like a good boy."

"But why are you doing this Dawn?"

"You know perfectly well why Doctor. Yours isn't the original sin but still..." she said as she wiped away a tear with her free hand. "I'm being merciful you know. I don't have to make it so easy for you. I could make you suffer, like I've suffered all these years, but no. You can just take these pills and go to sleep but if you don't it will be much more painful the other way," she told him as she pulled back the hammer, "and I always figured you for someone who doesn't like pain."

"All right, all right," he said as his trembling hand opened the bottle.

He washed a handful down with the booze and made a face as it burned its way down his throat while she watched impassively.

"Okay, are you satisfied?"

"Hardly. There are still plenty left to take. Don't try my patience. I still have a little time left but I won't tell you again. Swallow them all."

Seeing no other way out he did as she ordered, swallowing down every last pill.

"Please Dawn, it's not too late. If you let me I can help us both..."

"No, you're wrong there Doctor. Its twenty years too late and you know it. Now we're going to wait until they take effect and don't get your hopes up. In that first glass you drank I had already given you a strong enough dose to incapacitate you. So you see we just have a little time left," she said as she sat down, making sure to keep the desk between them and the revolver aimed at his chest.

The sun was starting to sink in the western sky when the ticket agent saw a woman approaching. He remembered it clearly for his first thought when he saw her was how pretty she was. Blond hair, blue eyes, a body to kill for, and a million dollar smile. He couldn't say what she was wearing exactly, beyond that it showed plenty of cleavage and leg but he knew she looked like she didn't have a care in the world.

"Yes Miss, can I help you?"

"Hello, I hope so. Can you tell me when the bus from Auburn Alabama will be arriving?"

"Auburn? I don't think there is one. Let me check, yes I was right. What you probably meant is the bus from Opelika Alabama which is the closest to Auburn and that's not a direct run. One would have to transfer in Memphis first-"

"Okay, if someone took the bus from Opelika and transferred at Memphis, when would that bus arrive?"

"You're in luck Miss, that bus comes through town in around a half hour on its way to Nashville. Are you expecting someone?"

"Yes, my fiancé is on it. We haven't seen each other in a long time."

"Well he's a lucky man to have you waiting for him."

"Thank you for all your help. Have a good evening."

"You too," he replied as he watched her strut away, her hips and ass swaying provocatively with every step.

Sam Rogers swore under his breath as he shifted gears. Damn that woman for claiming her baggage was damaged and making him late again. That was just what he didn't need with his supervisor already breathing down his neck to begin with. He hoped there'd be no more pickups on this trip so he could make up some time and not be too late to Nashville. As he approached the town he glanced down at his watch when out of nowhere something blue and yellow darted on the road in front of him. He slammed on the brakes and he heard them squeal and screech but it was too late.

He felt as much as heard the sickening thud of the steel as it met flesh while his foot continued pressing down on the brake. It took a bit longer for the bus to come to a complete stop and as soon as it did he threw it into park. Multiple passengers were already screaming and yelling as he opened the door and rushed off the bus.