An Angel's Fix Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ashley returned the cocked smile. "Oh, ASHlee wouldn't do that!" She looked down at Kendra. "Noo, AshLEE isn't like that, is she, Kendra? Ashley's kind. Ashley's sweet. Ashley likes your mommy too much to do that to her. No, Ashley's just talking about Ashley to the baby. Isn't Ashley?"

"Jackass," smarted Cindy.

Ashley mockingly turned the baby away. "Hey, no cussing in front of young ears!"

Her phone rang, waking her. Only, she didn't remember feeling that tired, nor falling asleep. Doug eased his daughter back into his arms so that Ashley could answer. It was Joe getting details on the delivery, but when he edged the conversation toward him and Jasmine, Ashley cut him off. Then he asked about what she was going to do about today's class. She assured him that it was just a strings elective, and she felt she had it in the bag. Then the game came up, and Ashley dismissively said she'd watch it...from the hospital with Cindy, Doug, and Kim. There was a pause and she read his thoughts, so she told him not to worry, she would be back for the Sunday luncheon.

She did watch the game from the hospital room, along with her parents, Cindy, Doug, Kim, and Sam. It was hard for the others to keep the cheers and groans to an acceptable level. Ashley was vastly more reserved, keeping a keen eye on the screen, but did not seem to react. Joe's play was methodical, missing his normal rascally scrambles and improvisation. However, his attention to fundamentals proved effective, enough to be pulled early in the third quarter again. They had won their third game of the season, and those in the room with Christine gave her embraces of congratulations. Eventually, Christine checked her watch, and dialed for Joe.

"Hey," she said. "Good game. Could you invite Jack, Nathan, Marcus, and Ken for me? Tell them to bring their plus ones. Thanks."

Her parents questioned her odd behavior when she hung up. Ashley explained it by saying that she didn't want to interfere with the post-game meeting about to start. Her response was a bit testy, so they let it pass.

Ashley had it out with her lovers after the party the next day, sitting them down on the couch while she perched herself on the coffee table directly in front of them.

"So, what the FUCK?!" she yelled. Jill hurried up the stairs, mumbling she'd be in her room. Ashley scratched behind her ear before continuing. "Okay, so let me get this straight. I'm thrown this unreal party for making it to the top of the charts. It's a great opportunity to rub elbows with those who can help my career so I go...and your first thought is to screw around in MY HOUSE?!" She glared at Joe, but her stare turned to Jasmine and stayed with her.

"It's not like that," Jasmine offered meekly.

"I didn't want to," Joe mumbled toward his lap.

Ashley scoffed. "Jesus! All you can come up with is 'it's not like that' and 'I didn't want to'?!" The two looked like goldfish, opening and closing their mouths, but nothing came out. Ashley put up her hand. "Okay, I get it...kinda. You both believe you're somehow doing this for me..."

"Did," Joe clarified weakly.

"Fine, did. Sam believes it. So...you wanna tell me what's really going on?" No response. "You know, I tell you damn near everything going on with me. In turn, you work on some kind of project and keep it from me, insinuating fear of hurting me if it doesn't work. But, you know what? THIS. What y'all asked me permission for... what y'all DID -- passionately, I might add -- HURT ME!" Tears welled in her eyes, but she choked them back. Ashley sighed heavily. "Neither of you have to leave, you can stay. I'll stay in Jill's room for a while to cool off. But, if..." Her voice started shaking. "If... just... y'all better tell me EVERYTHING at the first FUCKING chance you can!" Satisfied that she expressed her pain sufficiently, she briskly climbed upstairs, her sniffles raking across her lovers' hearts.

Joe and Jasmine looked like two punished puppies.

The next week, Joe was clearly not himself, blowing a number of chances at big gains or scores. Ashley wondered if he'd get pulled, but the coach left him in the game, counting on Joe to find a way to turn the game around. His pride balked at becoming an embarrassment, and he improved in the fourth quarter, boosting his numbers. Alas, it was not enough to recover from the early mistakes, and the team lost to Miami on a year they shouldn't have.

Ashley returned to the master bedroom after that game, feeling she needed to bolster Joe's scarily low spirits. Events accelerated soon after, and Joe and Jasmine's misconduct found it's way to the back of her mind. Kim warned her to watch for mail, but would only say it was a surprise, even though she knew her boss was currently despising secrets. Also, Dare was making a fast climb, to the point that it was running into interference from Soar for the top spot. There was a call telling her that production had begun on a TV series based on the movie that was such a success this fall. She agreed to sign as the composer and artist for the music. Not long after, trailers began appearing on YouTube, providing early advertisement for the project. Jasmine noted Ashley's importance by pointing out that one of the slides proclaimed "Music by Ashley." FedEx envelopes then began arriving, one detailing what was needed for the first four episodes. The others arrived at a pace of about one per day bearing fancy invitations for the upcoming awards season.

"I almost need a plane to attend all these," Ashley remarked while reading through one after school.

Jasmine popped an almond in her mouth. She was on a 'health kick' lately, a bowl of trail mix now taking permanent residence on the kitchen bar. "You've got one."

"Yeah, but it's in pieces, remember?" giggled Jill.

"What do y'all mean, I have a plane?" Ashley was seriously lost. "And why is it in pieces?"

The two cringed at letting the cat out of the bag. "But it should be ready by then," Jasmine stated in an attempt to swing around the questions. Ashley responded with a warning look.

Jill shook her head at Jasmine. "Way to go, slut."

"Hey! Off limits, now! No more cracks about that. Ashley said so."

Jill looked at her hard. "Doesn't make it less true." Her phone beeped. "Ooh! It's Mike!" She then pranced up to her room.

Jasmine was giggling at Jill's excitement of her budding relationship with Ashley's guitarist. She turned her attention from the stairs to find Ashley glaring at her. "What? It's cute that she's in luuuv!"

"What. Plane. Do. I. Have?" gritted Ashley, attempting to keep herself in check.

Jasmine sighed. "Right. 'No more secrets,' right?" Ashley nodded. "Fine, Joe bought you a plane, anticipating Dare making number one...If Soar would ever dip to number two. Anyway, it was supposed to be a surprise, and he figured you'd almost need it soon."

"So, what? Did it crash after he bought it?"

"I'd hope not. It brought your dad home from Colorado on Monday."

Ashley was alarmed at this. "DO WHAT?!"

Jasmine popped a raisin and held a finger up to wait. Almost on cue, Joe got home and surveyed the situation in the kitchen. "Uh oh," he said.

Jasmine caught him up by letting him know she let his gift slip. He took a seat at the dining table and explained that he wanted to make this Christmas special. Carter pretty much threw the jet in his lap, offering it for an incredible price, since they wanted a bigger one. Part of the hidden reason for the generous offer was that his parents' former luxury was up for a major FAA inspection. Since it had to be pretty much torn apart for that anyway, he was getting it refit as well. New seat cushions, carpet, instrument upgrades, engines rebuilt, and so on.

He wasn't too cross with Jasmine slipping, since the award nominations gave an excuse for an early presentation, anyway. Ashley protested him buying yet another big ticket item for her, which he overcame by saying it would be her graduation and Christmas present. Ashley silently accepted the gesture as a tactile apology, as well.

The heavy-handed gift did come in handy once it was re-certified. Ashley was hesitant to use it the first flight, but Joe assured her he had the crew put it through several grueling test flights before the final inspection, and any quirks were repaired. The last three test flights returned a blank punch list, meaning the aircraft performed perfectly. The new repair company he gifted the job to had said that the FAA inspector commented that the aircraft was better and stronger than new. Having a mode of transportation slaved to her schedule made things easier, though it was still tiring to attend an away game, small award ceremony, then back to school all in the same weekend.

Ashley had done well in the lesser known academies and guilds, a new glass shelf on the elevator enclosure now had a few trophies arriving by air mail to rest upon it. Her first real yardstick was the weekend before Thanksgiving, when she was requested to attend and perform at the AMAs. The jet was rather full, carrying her household, the band, Jim's wife, and Ashley's parents. Cindy and Doug elected to stay home, not wanting to drag a newborn along, even though Jill pleaded to babysit. Kim and Jon went together by commercial first class, working off their own schedule.

Rehearsal was...interesting, not like anything Ashley had built up in her head. A producer barked her group around, this happens then, that happens there -- that sort of thing. Jasmine had been working with a team from Carter on perfecting an effect prop, and both wanted to reveal it at this show. It was small and self-contained, requiring only the smallest overhead support, so it got approved for Ashley's sets. She found a way to get in the production booth alone with an assistant producer, bending her ear about an idea Ashley had. A tough sell, but Jasmine eventually got the green light for the surprise in exchange for the license to use it in any future projects or events on the network.

The rest of the day was a rush to eat, then make it back to the hotel suites to meet the wardrobe designers and makeup artists to get dolled up. A couple of new apparel designers had approached Ashley and Reena, asking if they would wear their gowns for the event. In exchange for the exposure, the clothing would be a gift. Ashley was wary about what would be brought, haunted by visions of the gaudy things celebrities had flaunted in past years. Her fears evaporated on the first ensemble shown to her. The designer clearly had done research on Ashley, and the crushed velvet ensemble matched her personality to a T. Some quick pinning and a few stitches while she endured the makeup session later, she presented herself to Joe. Reena and Jasmine brushed past her for their turn.

"Oh my God," Joe nearly growled. His eyes dilated and he looked at her as if she were a scrumptious dessert. "How do I deserve you?"

Her eyes sparkled back at him. "Thank you. You're pretty snazzy yourself, Mr. Workin' Joe." Joe did look delicious, as well. He'd been working hard at getting back into her good graces, doing little sweet things, taking her out on true dates whenever he could, and mostly ignoring her little insanities lately. Her deliberate sexual winter had not yet broken, but she'd already made up her mind that tonight would be the first day of spring, so to speak.

Now, Jasmine was a different story. She had never left their bedroom, and Ashley didn't ask or want her to. But, after a few weeks of being ultra sweet and begging forgiveness, Jasmine turned even more moody than usual the last couple years, if that were possible. Hyper affectionate one minute, hateful bitch the next, down in the dumps the one following. Ashley tolerated it, though, since she had battled being bi-polar herself, and Jasmine was always there to help her conquer the disorder. And also because Jasmine continued being a very good friend through it all. She worked with her in getting the songs polished up, and was still doing more than her fair share in keeping the penthouse clean.

But, along with the mood swings, was the health nut craze Jasmine was currently going through. Everything in the fridge was purged in favor of all-natural foods. She tossed the little deep fryer, which annoyed Ashley most about this kick because that was where the amazing doughnut balls came from that Joe would make for her. Ashley guessed Jasmine felt a metabolism change coming on, having seen Kim go through it after high school. So, Ashley understood her nutrition and walking efforts to head off extra weight. They were paying off, as Jasmine did look good. Her skin was healthy, her eyes held light, and there was always a tinge of color on her cheeks. Ashley felt Jasmine might be having an issue controlling her weight, because despite looking well, the points on Jasmine's cheekbones were fading and her arms looked softer. The only reason Ashley noticed was Jasmine had lately taken to wearing night shirts to bed, self-conscious of the puffiness. Now thinking about it, Jasmine hadn't touched a drop of alcohol recently. A realization happened just then for Ashley, but decided to bury thoughts of pregnancy for tonight.

A little squeal followed by a sharp 'shhh' coming from the other room brought Ashley out of her internal musings. She realized she was still holding Joe's hand when he let go to allow an assistant rush past and out of the suite. "I'm glad this is a bye week," Ashley said. "I'm so happy you could be with me tonight."

"Me too," he answered.

A few minutes later, the assistant rushed back in grumbling while barging into the next room with a couple of garment bags over her shoulder. A little while after, Paul arrived just in time to see Reena and Jasmine appear. They looked stunning and he quickly held Reena's elbows lightly to tell her so.

Just heading to their seats in the auditorium made Ashley's head spin. The red carpet scene was surreal to her, since the excitement seemed to increase when she appeared from the assigned limo with Joe, her band, and Jasmine. Winning awards from small entities was one thing, the buzz for her tonight was quite another. Heading in, they were stopped multiple times by people saying hello. Not just people, but PEOPLE. Hayley Williams started it off by running up and squeal-hugging Ashley, offering congratulations for getting nominated. "I knew you could do it when I first met you," she enthused. Her little display touched off a string of idols greeting them. They arrived at their seats and Ashley turned to find her family in the balcony. Her parents had witnessed the slow progression Ashley made down the aisle and were wearing proud grins. "OH MY GOD!" she mouthed excitedly toward them, fetching even bigger grins.

Jill had offered to be the parents' escort to the ceremony, and now that they had found their seats, the Roberts urged her to join her boyfriend downstairs. Ashley caught Kim's eye across a few aisles, as she was sitting with Tales of the Blind. They blew kisses across the room, just as Jill found them. Ashley and Jill bubbled about how good the other looked before Mike took up Jill's arm. They all passed some time flipping through the program book, fawning over Ashley's picture in the nominees section. Ashley was amused that for 'Label' the program read 'Independent.'

A few lesser awards were handed out and before she knew it, Ashley was on stage. "Dare," she said into the mike before kicking off the introductory notes on her guitar. The set was simple, her band in the background, she was up front, and images of love scenes from Phoenix faded in and out on a screen above her head. Her performance was beautiful and received ardent applause.

Tales of the Blind won favorite pop/rock band, and Jon made special mention of thanking Ashley for introducing him to Kim. There was a break after that, and Jasmine leaned over Ashley to get Joe's attention.

"I'm telling her," she said.

Joe shot a look of disdain. "Not right now!"

Jasmine shook her head. "It can't wait. Cat's out of the bag, and she needs to know. They had to bring me another dress, for Christ's sake!"

Joe shrugged in defeat, then firmly took hold of Ashley's hand.

"Tell me what?!" Ashley barked.

"I'm pregnant," Jasmine said with a lowered voice.

"Hmph." Ashley slumped. "No shit."

"You know?"

"Jazz, I'm not completely stupid. I pieced it together tonight... BEFORE they brought you a different dress. So, when are y'all leaving me? Tonight after the awards?"

Joe squeezed her hand. Jasmine looked wounded. "It's not like that," she said. "You really need to understand something." She leaned over, cupped her hand over Ashley's ear and began whispering. Ashley's mouth went slack, and she was overcome with so much shock, it barely registered that Phoenix was announced winner for soundtrack of the year. "We're up," Jasmine cut in mid-sentence.

The audience mistook Ashley's wandering gait and stunned expression as surprise for the win. They cheered even more when tears began falling from her face on stage. She numbly accepted the trophy and promptly handed it to Jasmine out of fear of dropping the gorgeous hardware. "I'm sorry...no ...words," she barely croaked into the microphone. That sparked a round of hearty applause. Reena stepped to the podium to thank the voters, and Ashley for bailing them out of a bad situation. The complete collapse of their former label this year was a hot topic in entertainment circles, so the audience completely understood the relieved gratitude. Jasmine thanked Ashley for the inspiration and confidence to produce the soundtrack.

The show rolled on while Jasmine continued her whispered story to Ashley. They were interrupted again when Ashley won favorite new artist. She had recovered somewhat, enough to apologize for literally being speechless earlier. She assured her gratitude would be properly expressed later on, a statement many mistook as arrogant, but she did say "thank you" in general for the award.

Jon and Kim came over during the break to issue congratulation for the awards so far, which were returned for the Tales' win. Just before turning back, Kim asked what the scene earlier was about, but Ashley just said she'd relate the story later. Kim wished luck for the big two upcoming nominations.

The TV and live audiences were teased by the announcer there was a surprise, and when Ashley joined Jon and Tales of the Blind to sing the refrain of their hit Jade, the audience was immensely pleased. The high energy was kept up when Ashley said "Soar" into her headset, and her band joined Jon's to boisterous response. The first verse culminated with Ashley running before launching a handspring while simultaneously grunting the first word of her refrain, "SOAR!" The lights blacked out when she was in mid-air, and the audience was confused , thinking there was a glitch.

Ashley focused for the planned interruption, knowing she'd have to land blind. Her feet hit a touch harder than she wanted, so there was a sizable thump at the end of the chopped note. She counted paces, hoping she was walking in the correct direction. She stopped and felt with her toe where the hole in the floor should be. Thankfully, it was, and she waited a couple of breaths for the floor to finish raising to replace the hole before feeling for her seat. A spotlight fired above her and the audience screamed in appreciation as she magically was sitting at a grand piano that was not there seconds ago. Playing notes softly in the upper register, she said "Thank You" into her headset.

Her playing resembled a music box and her voice was angelic as she sang something none had heard before, including Jasmine. The program thumbdrive Jasmine had handed the producer that afternoon was loaded, and a fog drifted from the ceiling. Six projectors cast video onto the fog from all sides, creating a three-dimensional hologram of Ashley playing a violin accompaniment. The image stood on the stage, making it appear as if it were standing next to her piano playing twin. The virtual likeness slowly spun, as if on a turntable while different outfits and hairstyles changed before the viewers' eyes.