An Angel's Fix Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
photodad
photodad
492 Followers

Ashley took advantage of the pressure relief Jon provided to her. He had come down to see Kim, and to welcome Ashley personally to his endeavor. Aside from occasional chats to see how she was doing in school, or productions she was invited to join, he was refreshingly hands-off with her. She concentrated on school, learning all she could about her craft. When Jon asked if she wanted to sing with them during spring break, she readily agreed before he could give her details. Ashley was eager to assert her willingness because he asked, and not ordered as Matt had last year. Giddy that she had a job she actually wanted to play, Ashley gave her thanks, said a goodbye, and hung up before Jon said anything more. Her phone rang again a few moments later.

"Ashley, what are you doing?" Kim asked when Ashley answered.

"Hey Kim! I just said yes to singing with Tales of the Blind!" Ashley exclaimed while doing excited hops. "But I think you knew that."

Kim shook her head. "I do. But what's important is what do you know about your gig?"

"I'm playing with a hot band and it's this spring break." She sat on the couch and fretted, not able to figure out the life lesson Kim was obviously trying to teach from the other end of the line. "What else do I need?"

"For one, you need to not hang up on the guy who's giving you the information," Kim said pointedly.

"Sorry, I was excited!"

"I know, and Jon said he'd rather be cut off in happiness than anger. Anyway, they're doing a tour to make up for last summer."

Ashley rolled her eyes. "Uh huh. I pretty much figured that out."

"Oh, so you do know it's in Europe."

"Europe?!"

Jill and Jasmine were snacking in the kitchen and looked like two dogs who suddenly heard a bell in the next room. If they were wearing tags, Ashley would've heard them jingle as their heads snapped toward her in attention when she repeated the destination. "Europe?" Jill murmured as a smile expanded from her lips.

"Yeah," Kim affirmed. "They're blitzing through half of what they planned before Larry got sick. Five nights, five shows, five cities. Can you handle that?"

"You bet!" Ashley affirmed.

The Tales chartered a jet for the trip, taking themselves and loved ones on the plane. The roadies, stage, lighting, and sound crews flew commercial. Ashley was encouraged to bring whom she wanted, so her parents, Joe, Jasmine, Jill, Kim, Cindy, and Doug were all able to come. Ken did not have a passport, and did not show desire to come anyway, which seemed odd to Ashley.

The first stop was London and it was readily apparent how grueling the trip would be. There was time for a late lunch, but immediately after was sound check, then the retreat into dressing rooms to get ready for the concert. Ashley appeared in the hallway just before showtime and was surprised when Jon gathered the band around for a ritual of meditation they used to sharpen their focus. They took their places on stage without her amid shrill screams and whistles that merged to a unified yell as the first chords were struck. The band performed a couple of songs before pausing so Jon could thank their host country and apologize for the cancellation before. Then he introduced Ashley as a protege he was taking under his wing.

She took the stage as the band played the intro to "Ashley's Song," smiling at the polite applause. She followed Jon's advice and let herself sing and dance without thinking about what to do. The song's conclusion was met with warm cheers, and the band continued into "Windowless Pains," the hard-hitting piece with an alternative rock edge from her album last year. A few in the crowd recognized the song and whistled appreciatively during the introduction. The band stayed "home" and Ashley found it easier to get into the song without the worries of crashing into one of them on the fore-stage. In a finale, she fell to her knees and flopped her head forward on the last note, allowing her red mane to hide her face from the crowd. There was a breath of time that she worried about getting a non-response from the crowd. Then, Ashley's heart did a flip when the crowd's appreciation neared what they had been giving the Tales' first two songs.

The show continued with her on stage, sometimes giving acoustical guitar backup, others singing with Jon in duets. The band exited to rowdy cheers and Ashley beamed at the praises of "killing it."

"One thing, though," Jon said while hugging her from the side. He looked down past her white silk blouse and designer jeans that her parents bought for her costume. "Where are your shoes?!"

Ashley glanced down at her bare feet. "Oh," she giggled. "I tripped and hurt my ankle the last time I did a concert. I'll never do that again."

He shook his head. "Whatever floats it, I guess. Just know that the stage is clean, but I can't say the same about the floor or halls backstage."

She shrugged out of the hug and went to the stage steps, stepping into some flats she had tucked under there. "Got it covered, Jon."

His assistant came over and gave a quick "good job" to the band and to Ashley. Then he urged them to hurry so they could make it to Berlin before reaching too far into the morning. Ashley was tired and slept against Joe's shoulder on the plane. Jon was keyed up from performing, so Kim kept him company. She wondered how their stage could possibly be ready in Germany by tonight. Jon explained that the tour was taxing on the performers, but the crews behind the scenes had far more work. They realized it would be impossible to set, breakdown, move and set a whole stage in under 24 hours. So the crew divided in half, and a second stage and the lighting and sound equipment for the tour were rented. While the first performance took place, the second crew was setting up the other stage. In this manner, the crew would leapfrog each other to the finish. The main expense in doing things this way was leasing the two 'lorries', or semi-trucks to haul the equipment. Kim asked if it would be more efficient to just rent the equipment from each host site. The answer was yes, but they would have no idea of the equipment condition until they reached each one.

"We wouldn't want your pretty boss to fall through the floor, would we?" he asked to make his point.

"Hmph, is that why you're having us along? So you can stare at Ashley?"

He smiled at her. "No, she's the perfect addition. High energy, a heart for entertaining, and a voice that locks everyone's attention. As for looking...unless they're blind, who wouldn't look at her? Red hair, white top, blue jeans. She's the personification of the American flag! Of course people are going to look." Jon could tell that Kim understood, but was waiting for him to grab her bait. "But, I did bring you so I could stare into those beautiful eyes whenever I'm not on stage."

Kim's body relaxed and her eyes softened in contentment. "Good," she said with a smile, happy with Jon's flattery. She hooked her arm around his and leaned her head against his shoulder. Their relationship status was still new, and Kim figured an icon like Jon was practiced at making girls feel special. The comment seemed sincere, and regardless, Kim thought, I'm sitting here now, not some ditzy tramp. That had to account for something.

Two hired vans were waiting for them upon landing, and once all the luggage and instruments were loaded, the driver of Ashley's van said in his thick accent, "Good morning! Welcome to Germany.".

"Guten Morgen," Ashley replied without thinking. "Wie geht es Ihnen?"

The driver looked pleasantly surprised. "Very well, thank you," he replied in his native language.

The two conversed on the way to the hotel, none of which the rest in the van understood. She was questioned by her dad at the hotel about how she could speak another language so well. Ashley shrugged and said that she took introductory courses required for her voice classes this year. Jill chimed in that she had figured that Ashley picked up common phrases, but didn't realize she was fluent. Ashley's only theory was that the sorority's help with software and tutors must have helped. Joe, himself surprised at her proficiency, kept quiet about the theory a doctor had related to him about her sudden aptitude after the plane crash. The group headed to their rooms to sleep, and alarm clocks set to get ready sounded all too soon.

That night's concert was performed in much the same way as the previous night, with the exception of one detail. Jon learned through Kim of Ashley's ability, and he asked if she could translate for the crowd. She agreed, and while it wasn't necessary as much of the crowd spoke English, the gesture was a big hit.

There was another mad dash to get to Spain, and directly after the show, they raced to Paris. They had finally caught up to the ribbon of time, and were afforded a few hours to see something of the city. Ashley decided on the most obvious attraction, the one that is embroidered, stamped, painted, or photographed on nearly every piece of tourist trinket related to Paris, France. The Eiffel Tower. Jasmine, majoring in architecture, had another idea and whined in asking Ashley why the cliché tourist spot. Ashley's response was they could fill the time in one spot without rushing around, as well as be able to see all of the Paris attractions, technically. Jasmine was clearly disappointed, so Sam offered to take her where she really wanted to go, the Notre Dame cathedral. Jill opted to go with Jasmine, winking as she used the ruse of playing "chaperone."

Most of the band members were still sleeping after a late night of drinking, so Ashley, Joe, her parents, Cindy, Doug, Kim, and Jon joined the line already forming for tickets to the top. The view at the first level was already spectacular, as at 121 feet, it was the maximum level allowed for most buildings in Paris. When they reached the top, it was breathtaking. Ashley took a lap around the observation deck, her arm hooked into Joe's, then stopped at a point that was her favorite view. She detached herself from Joe and peered at the river that led toward the cathedral. The spring air was rather chilled at this height, and a breeze played with her hair. Ashley was happy she wore an oversized light sweater this morning, and pulled the edge of her sleeves halfway down her hands before crossing her arms on top of the rail.

"So, what do you think?" Joe asked as he propped his elbows next to her.

Ashley swiped a misbehaving strand from her face, moving it so that it would trail slightly behind and to the right of her, next to the rest. "It's peaceful," she said in a sigh that surprised even her.

He looked at her. "You seem disappointed. Paris isn't what you thought?" A hand drifted of its own accord to stroke her cheek. The colors of her hair, face, and black sweater contrasted against the homogeneous gray backdrop of the city below them. A thrill struck through his heart that had been dulled by hard work and everyday routines. She is so beautiful, he thought.

Her head tilted into the breeze against his fingers, and she closed her eyes, relishing the contact. "I don't know," she murmured. "I mean, this is Paris! City of lovers, the most romantic place on Earth! Supposedly."

Joe took her hands from the railing, warming them in his, and at the same time, encouraging her to face him. When she looked to his face, he asked rhetorically, "So then why are you so disappointed?"

Ashley sighed and gave a sad and confused smile. "Exactly. I've dreamt of coming here with you on our honeymoon...don't give me that look. Yeah, we had a vacation in Hawaii. I wanted a honeymoon. Just you, me, and nothing to do but have fun. Either in a hotel, or out and about seeing the sights; it wouldn't matter what we did, as long as it was what we'd feel like at the time." She slipped her hands from his to move them around his waist. Touching her forehead to his chest, she said, "I guess in my imagination, we'd come here on my own credit."

"But this is your own credit. We wouldn't be here if it weren't for you..."

She cut him off by holding him tighter so she could absorb the view with her cheek resting comfortably against the firm padding of his chest. "...No, I mean my own band, my own money, everything. I don't want to debate this. I'm just saying why I think I'm disappointed when I shouldn't be."

Ashley tilted her head up and they kissed, just as the other three couples did. It seemed like it would have been a sin to leave the top of the tower without one.

Jasmine toured the cathedral through the viewfinder of her video camera, while Jill followed her directions to nearly fill the memory card of the pro still camera Jasmine handed her. Both marveled at the intricate sculptures that seemed to cover every inch of stone and the wondrous stained windows that provided an almost spiritual light to the interior. A couple of hours passed before Sam approached them to recommend heading to the underground transit that would carry them back to the group.

"So..." Jasmine started to wonder aloud once they were sitting in the subterrarian train.

"Sew, a needle pulling thread," Jill quipped with a grin.

"Har har," Jasmine flatpanned. "So...What's going on with you, Jill? You seemed far too...happy to go on this trip without Ken."

Jill shrugged. "I had a passport, and he didn't. It's as simple as that."

Jasmine glared at her. "I don't think so. He had a chance, and he dragged his feet until it was too late."

"Don't pry, Jazz. Not everything is always purple ponies and cotton candy."

"What do you mean by that? Are y'all splitting up?"

"I don't know." Jill blew out an aggravated breath. "There's nothing to say anything is wrong. But, I just have a feeling. I've been busy, he's been distant, sort of." She shrugged. "I just felt I needed some space. That we needed some space."

Jasmine shook her head slightly. "Heh. Well, the Atlantic Ocean should be enough."

"Yeah," Jill answered softly. "You'd think."

The Paris concert unfolded in the same manner as the previous two, with the crowd cheering especially strong when they heard Ashley speaking in their native tongue. It was a wild success, and like before, they rushed to the airport to make for Rome. If Ashley knew the other romance languages well, she excelled at Italian. Many of her previous voice lessons featured Italian songs, so Joe figured that language would be especially natural for her. She chatted the driver up on the way to breakfast, commenting on the particularly aggressive nature of Roman motorists. Her dad asked in surprise exactly how many languages she knew, which she answered honestly that he now heard them all. Then he commented that she could make a great linguist for some government agency, or corporate powerhouse. Ashley knew he was just making harmless conversation, but she wondered if he still didn't wish a different career for her.

It was so odd, waking to eat a late lunch, working on getting ready with only munching snacks for dinner, performing late into the night, hopping on a plane, then in a hired car to the hotel, and eating breakfast before heading to bed. Today, they'd only seen the sliver of Rome that was between the airport and the hotel, and it was in early dawn. However, after Ashley stepped into the room from breakfast, Joe kicked the door shut and caught her up from behind, planting wicked kisses down the side of her neck. She willingly stopped mid-stride and allowed his affections.

"Hmm...something has you in a mood," she purred as she tilted her head to make her neck even more vulnerable.

"We saw the world's most romantic city, and you were so beautiful on that observation deck, hair all unruly and shit."

There was a lick along her artery and she gasped. "Romance gets the big, bad football player horny?"

"Well, you do. Why do you say 'horny?' Why not 'amorous'?"

Ashley gave a giggle. "What's pressing against my hiney is not what I'd call amorous. I'm not mad... I just know by the way you talk crass... 'and shit'... that you've gone yards beyond just affectionate." She brought a hand up to play with his hair while his mouth continued to play with her neck and collar. "Besides, I think that Rome is the most romantic," she said with a smirk.

Rome brought out the best of Ashley, as her laughter, energy, and overall bounce kicked up a few notches. Maybe it was because she had been able to talk to Joe alone the day before, the little romp just before bed, or maybe just because this city had more variety in colors and buildings than France did. Whatever the reason, her fuel tank seemed to have freshened up, and she ran with it. They had a few spare hours in the afternoon again, and since it was not enough to see a single ruin or attraction, they all split up to peruse the shops local to their hotel.

The crowds of all the concert nights brought energy, but this last one had a stronger heartbeat. The sequence was the same as the others, with Ashley providing translation from off-stage until Jon brought her on two songs in. Filled with confidence, she surprised the band by stepping forward out of turn near the end. Speaking for a few minutes in her fluent Italian, she thanked Tales of The Blind for allowing her to "tag along," as well as sharing a few humorous tales from earlier in the tour. Then she thanked the crowd for the band, sincerely expressing appreciation for their support, not only for buying tickets, but for the robust cheering throughout the concert. Then asking for their patience, she let them know she would repeat everything for the benefit of the band and their friends. She inhaled a long breath for show, turned to the band and said, "I told them and you, 'THANK YOU!'" Ashley turned back to the crowd with a mischievous grin that said she was finished. The arena erupted with laughs followed by whistles and cheers that rewarded her humor. The concert ended with her performing a backflip timed to the final chord and drum beats, the band bowed to the screaming and they exited the stage amid a deafening ovation.

Ashley had just pulled on her street jeans and was reaching for her shoes when there was a knock on her dressing room door. "Come in!" she called.

The whole band plus her usual crew came through the door. "Ashley SMITH!" Jon bellowed, making her jump. "What the HELL do you think you were doing?!"

Her smile evaporated. "I...I was just playing with the crowd." Then in a small voice, "It felt right at the time." She was bewildered, his voice was sharp, but no one moved to defend her. And, there didn't seem to be any frowns.

Jon shook his head and broke into a wide smile. "I'm not talking about tonight, or even this whole week. YOU were amazing!"

"Um, thank you?" She was still trying to piece the puzzle together.

He continued, "Which brings me to my question. What were you thinking, joining that confused ramble called Fell Off The Truck?"

"I don't...They offered me a contract?" She hesitated between words, unsure of what the right answer could be. She finished tying her shoes and stood to meet this challenge.

"Well," Jon began while stepping to her and wrapping her in an enthusiastic hug. "I'm glad Kim stayed in touch with me and got me to invest in you. You are so much better and deserve to be treated way better than they could have."

"Thanks," she said while releasing him.

* * *

"What an amazing trip!" Jasmine enthused in the elevator to the penthouse.

"Yeah, thanks so much for taking us," Jill added.

"Well, thanks for coming along," Ashley answered. "I still can't believe Cindy's pregnant! I'm so excited for her!"

Joe nodded. "I just can't believe she waited to tell us until the flight back."

Jasmine picked up her bag as they approached their floor. "I'm sure she didn't want anyone fussing over her during the trip."

photodad
photodad
492 Followers