Behind the Mahogany Desk

Story Info
Things get interesting when corporate comes to visit.
12.1k words
4.62
70.4k
18

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 07/27/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
I_Shadow
I_Shadow
233 Followers

Leaning her head back, she sighed. The silence was almost deafening after the non stop activity and commotion that had made the office total chaos for the past few weeks, but she'd managed to survive. Mikhaila looked around the now dark office really seeing it for the first time since her promotion. The only light in the room was the small glow from a small antique brass desk lamp on the corner of the large mahogany desk she sat behind.

She'd been promoted to oversee the brand marketing department a month ago, exactly two days before the launch of one of the company's newest products for their top line. Life had become a whirlwind of meetings, planning and overseeing the progress and all within what seemed like minutes of being congratulated on the promotion.

Her office had been her home other than the few trips she'd made to her apartment to change clothes or a few hours of dream filled sleep when she could. Long hard hours had been spent there; she hadn't had a chance to even create some semblance of order out of the boxes of personal items along with the files and information she'd needed to accomplish this feat. Between meetings and conference calls she'd tried her best to get everything unpacked and organized. Thankfully her previous assistant and secretary Emily had been moved up with her, she'd proven to be a life saver, staying long hours to help get as much as possible in order.

The sound of cars traveling the wet roads below, alerted her to the steady rain that had begun to fall right after dark. Glancing at her watch she got up, heading to the private bathroom off her office, to check her makeup and hair, she had a conference call in less than ten minutes with the corporate office to share the first results of the campaigns success.

She brushed the few loose tendrils of hair back, satisfied with it before freshening the light rose lip gloss she wore. Grabbing the matching blue blazer hanging on the door knob she walked back to her desk.

Shrugging into the blazer she adjusted the tie of the silk blouse at her throat, stopping for a moment at the desk she made sure the computer was set up and ready to receive the call when it came through. Walking over to the small refrigerator hidden in one of the cabinets she grabbed a bottle of water just as the call came in.

Sitting down she adjusted the camera on her desk, watching as the multiple windows began loading on the large flat screen in front of her. Faces, mostly smiling when they came into view, some of the offices clearly celebrating, others worn and weary from the past few weeks work and drive.

"Nice to have everyone here," said the voice of Martin the head of the companies marketing and advertising section, "I must say for all of the work and dedication that's gone into this project on everyone's end I'm pleased to announce that the numbers we're showing from sales, this campaign's been a huge success".

Mikhaila laughed watching some of the people from various offices whoop it up; a few dropped their heads to their hands in relief. She sat listening, taking a few notes for the next fifteen or so minutes while each branch was broken down and their figures given, smiling proudly when she realized her office was one of the top producers.

Glancing around at her empty office she wondered if anyone thought it was strange that she was the only person present representing her team. Having worked for the company starting as an intern before graduating it had become very clear that this office was a male dominated environment. When she'd accepted the position the department was already in the red and in danger of being closed if changes weren't forth coming.

Being a woman placed in a position of authority was inconceivable to the lazy, pompous men who were doing nothing more than waiting for their retirement, feeling as if they'd already put in their time. She'd had to come out of the gate cracking a verb whip, demanding action as well as demonstrating that she was capable of working even harder right along side of them. As soon as the end of the day had come around everyone other than herself had left the office as if physically beaten down for the work that she had required of them. Emily had offered to stay but knowing she'd already sacrificed so much of her personal life to make Mikhaila's transfer possible she'd sent her home to her husband with a smile of thanks radiating from Emily.

Chit chatting back and forth for the next ten minutes she accepted congratulations and welcomes from the various branch offices into their mix and chaos. Just as she was beginning to feel relaxed she suddenly sat upright when asked to remain for a few minutes after the meeting dismissed. After saying her good byes as one by one the branches signed out of the meeting she waited for Martin to continue.

"Mikhaila, I wanted to let you know personally how pleased I am that you accepted the position to head that office, but also that many of us feel you're going to be a great asset in bringing that group back into the upper ranks, as this campaign's already shown," he said with a smile, "I also wanted to let you know that we normally don't throw new managers into the mix quite this fast but with the circumstances as they were when you took over I'm sure your aware we had little choice in the matter."

She leaned back slowly, "I have to admit Martin when all this first started I was wondering what I'd gotten myself into," she laughed, "But within a few days I started seeing some of the same people I knew when I first started as an intern coming back to life I guess you'd call it."

Martin shook his head understanding what she was saying, "The first and original plan was to send someone in to help make the transition in the office while the new head of the department took over, needless to say with the timing of corporate and this launch of the product line we didn't have that luxury," he explained, "I do need to tell you, and actually should've a few weeks ago, corporate is still sending someone in to help and make some suggestions," he said watching her expression carefully.

"I know this sounds ridiculous after everything that's happened and with the numbers your branch were able to put up, but this is just a technicality they insist on," he said shaking his head, "Caleb was suppose to have arrived at your office earlier this afternoon but with the weather his plane was delayed," he chuckled, "I've just got a message from my secretary that his plane landed about five minutes ago so he should be arriving at the office within about thirty minutes. I hope it wouldn't be too much to ask you to wait and meet with him for a few minutes before putting him in a cab and heading him off to his hotel?"

Martin leaned back in his chair with a smile, knowing she'd agree, "I also thought I should tell you, over the past six or eight months Caleb's been sitting in on the conference calls, you might've noticed the branch that never had video feed. He's also who suggested you for this position with everything he'd observed during that time," he told her.

Shaking her head she laughed, "I don't guess leaving him to a closed office in a city with pouring rain would be very hospitable of me then would it?" she grinned.

"Good thinking my dear," he said with a smile, "Now I'm going to go home and surprise my wife and remind her of what I look like before midnight. I'm sure I'll be talking to you over the next few days. Again congratulations and welcome to the group Mikhaila," he said, waving and logging off.

She turned the computer off and leaned back in her chair. Thirty more minutes, that'd give her time to unpack the last box of books and possibly decide which carry out menu she'd order from this time before heading home. Walking over, flipping on the small stereo sitting on the book shelve and tuning it to a soft jazz station before grabbing an unopened box and began unpacking it.

Caleb knew she was still in the office after asking the guard in the lobby when he signed in. Getting off the elevator he wondered if maybe the guard had missed her when she left since the office was completely dark other than the small security lights built in along the ceiling. He set his suitcase next to the receptionist area, tossing his wet jacket over the end of the counter before looking to see if anyone was there. Stopping in the hallway he listened, hearing a slight sound coming from down the hallway on the right, turning that way he saw the glow of light from one of the end offices.

Mikhaila had finished unpacking, putting the box in the storage closet before looking around the office pleased at the order she saw. Walking over to the small bar above the concealed refrigerator she pulled out a cold bottle of white wine, pouring herself a glass. Turning to the radio she changed the station to her favorite rock station feeling as if she deserved a small celebration. Walking to her desk, unbuttoning her jacket and sipping her wine, she glanced at the clock wondering if anything would be open by the time this guy from corporate left or if she was going to have a TV dinner again.

Caleb almost laughed while he leaned against the door frame watching her lost in her own world, her expression one of pride when she looked around the office. He'd always enjoyed observing people unaware since it gave him better insight into the person and not who they wanted people, particularly those with authority over them to see. He couldn't help but smile when he watched her kick her shoes off in front of the desk as she looked down with a frown at the scattered papers sitting on the corner of the desk.

She sighed hearing her stomach growl. This had been well worth the work and effort she thought walking to the large windows that looked out over the street below. The rain drops ran down the glass creating tiny prisms reflecting the lights of the city and those of the passing cars. The sound of tires driving over the wet streets blended in with the low deep beat of the music. Taking a drink of her wine she closed her eyes, leaning her head against the glass, she'd worked hard and it was now time for her to enjoy the reward of it.

He knew exactly what she was feeling when he saw her take a drink and the huge sigh that followed. He'd felt that same thing when he finished his first large assignment, it was an overwhelming feeling. She was a silhouette against the reflected lights of the city, her hair as always sweep up and held in a twist with decorated spikes that made him want to laugh and ask what Chinese restaurant she'd stolen them from since the first time he'd sat in on one of the conference calls and she was filling in for her always absent and neglectful department head. He was slightly shocked to see that she wasn't as dainty as he'd originally thought, but tall and slender, yet for some reason her height and stature pleased him.

She picked up her foot placing it absently on the window sill, reaching down to rub the back of her calf that was complaining after suddenly being allowed out of the high heels she'd all but lived in the past few weeks. She made a mental note to make the time the following morning to go out jogging, trying to blend her regular routine in with her new job. Feeling the muscle in her leg refusing to release, but tightening more she stepped away from the window, sitting on the arm of a chair in the sitting area.

Hearing something she almost screamed when she looked toward the door and saw him standing there. The shock made her forget about her leg but only for a split second before the muscle cramped tightly making her grit her teeth and groan loudly.

Stepping into the office he quickly walked over, "Here let me take that," he said reaching for the wine glass, "Try and put your foot on the floor," he told her, kneeling beside her, wrapping his hand around her calf. He could feel the muscle knotting tightly under his palm before picking her foot up, placing it on his knee.

"Try and relax your leg," he explained while flexing her foot upward, massaging the offended muscle in the calf of her leg, "Push against my hand if you can, it should relax in just a second."

Mikhaila wasn't sure if she wanted to cry from the pain in her leg or laugh at the situation. Here she was sitting on the arm of a chair with a man she hoped was the gentleman from the corporate office holding her bare foot and rubbing the back of her leg from knee to ankle. What a first impression this would be she thought with a strangled groan, seeing him look up having heard the sound she stated to laugh.

From the expression on her face and the gleam in her eyes he knew immediately what she was thinking; shaking his head he looked down at her foot resting in the palm of one hand while resting on his thigh, his other hand sliding up and down the calf of her shapely leg.

"Should I take this time to introduce myself?" he asked with a wink when he looked back up at her, "Or would it better if I remained a mystery man for a little while longer?" he chuckled when she closed her eyes trying to stifle a giggle.

Leaning forward she ran her hand down the front of her leg, trying to slowly flex her foot, testing to see if the cramp was really gone or just pretending. Meeting his glance when she wiggled her foot in his hand and against his leg, she smiled, "Please just tell me you're not a masher and that if you are from corporate that this isn't going to make the next monthly news letter," she said quietly.

Sliding his hand down her leg to her ankle he lifted it from his leg, leaning back slightly to look at it, "But a leg like this would be front page news in that company rag," he said with a laugh, "A masher?" he asked looking up at her with a crooked grin, "I've been called many things but I admit that's never been one of them," he laughed setting her foot back on his leg.

Reaching out her hand to him she introduced herself grinning at the odd circumstances surrounding it all, "Mikhaila Clarkston, I take it you're Caleb?" she asked.

"At your service it would appear Ms. Clarkston, and yes I'm Caleb Andrews," he said taking her offered hand, "I must admit this started as what I thought would be a boring trip after sitting on the plane circling for hours before finally getting to land. Now I'd have to call it anything but boring," he said softly, his hand rubbing the back of her calf one last time gently.

She felt the heat rush to her cheeks from the warmth of his hand on her leg, turning toward the window for a second she gathered herself mentally, moving her foot from his leg and standing up.

Seeing her reaction he smiled to himself before standing, leaning down he picked up her wine glass offering it to her.

"Thank you," she said with a smile, "Would you care for a drink, after being out in that mess I can imagine you'd enjoy one?" she said walking across the room to the small bar, glancing back at him for his response.

"Brandy please if you have it," he said wandering across the office toward her desk, "You're absolutely right, not only is it raining but that rain's cold. I was surprised when I walked out of the airport," he explained, grinning at the abandoned shoes under the front of her desk.

"Chicago's never been known for it's welcoming weather I don't think," she said pouring his brandy, "Just be glad it wasn't living up to it's name of the windy city all at the same time," she smiled turning back to him.

He laughed when he saw what she'd been staring at on the desk while he was standing at the door, menus, a group of different menus from local restaurant all specializing in delivery. "I see you've found the key component to surviving the weeks of a campaign," he said lifting them up going through them, "All this reminds me I haven't eaten since this morning and I'm assuming you haven't had dinner yet either?" he asked taking the brandy she offered.

Shaking her head she walked around him, trying to slip back into her shoes, "No I haven't had a chance but was trying to figure out what I'd have delivered when I got home," she explained.

Caleb chuckled, "No need to put those back on on my account," he smiled at her, "Would it be too much to ask if maybe we could order something and eat here while we discussed some things? I'd really love to see if Chinese food in Chicago is as good as I've always heard," he asked quietly.

Laughing and kicking her shoes under her desk before she reached for the menu's, finding the correct one and making a list of what they each wanted before called placing the order, and letting the guard know they'd be delivering to her office.

While she was busy ordering Caleb went back to the main lobby bringing his briefcase back to her office, just as she was turning the lights back on and turning the radio off. When she did he saw her transform from the beautiful young woman laughing at the window to a still stunning beauty but very business like woman.

Reaching for the light switch he flipped them off laughing at her expression when she turned to see what'd happened.

"This may sound odd but I was enjoying our less than business like meeting," he said with a smile, "If you don't mind I'd rather spend this time getting to know you as yourself, since I've seen your work and have followed your style the past months," he explained sitting his briefcase on the edge of her desk.

The phone rang, turning she smiled, "Dinner should be here any minute let me meet him at the elevator," she said grabbing her wallet from the desk drawer, heading out of the office in her stocking feet.

Mikhaila hesitated before walking back to her office. This was defiantly not what she'd expected when Martin had told her one of the corporate guys was coming to visit. She could still feel the warmth of his hand as he'd rubbed her calf and massaged the cramp from her leg. She'd envisioned a stiff double breasted suit wearing man with thick glasses and a pocket protector, not this tall devastatingly handsome hunk of male that had walked into her office.

Walking in she smiled seeing he'd refilled her wine glass and had poured one for himself, leaving the bottle sitting on the low coffee table in the sitting area in front of the windows. He'd lit the candle in the center of the table and was sitting on the arm of the chair waiting for her. Looking down she laughed seeing he'd also kicked his shoes off.

Caleb met her halfway across the office, taking the box from her, groaning when he smelled the food, "Oh I had no idea how famished I was until you walked in here," he said with an evil chuckle, winking before he turned to set it down on the table. Shrugging out of his blazer tossing it over the back of the chair he glanced at her, "Would you mind if we both got comfortable and relaxed?" he grinned looking at her now tightly buttoned blazer while he unbuttoned the cuffs of his shirt before rolling up his sleeves.

Shaking her head she laughed and unbuttoned the blazer, walking to the bathroom, stepping inside she hung it on the wooden hanger on the hook on the back of the door. Walking over to the table she laughed when he tossed one of the pillows from the small love seat on the floor beside the table, reaching for her hand he helped her sit down before moving to the other side of the table sitting on the floor and leaning back against the front of the chair.

She unpacked the small boxes peeking inside each as she set them down. Handing him a plate and plastic silverware she laughed when he raised his wine glass in a toast to her before he took a bite of the tempura shrimp closing his eyes enjoying the food.

They talked casually and constantly while they ate, each devouring the food in front of them, laughing when they'd reach for the same thing before dividing the remainder between them.

Mikhaila leaned back having eaten more then she had in weeks and feeling it. She untied the silk scarf around her throat and unbuttoned the top few buttons enjoying the warmth of the wine, the feel of being satisfyingly full and also enjoying the company. Sipping her wine she watched him finish off what was in front of him.

I_Shadow
I_Shadow
233 Followers