Cats 'n Dogs

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

***

Roh was pleased to hear his mother praise Sylvi's skills and how good of a help she was around the farm. He was certainly surprised at what she was able to create in the kitchen.

'It's going to be your fault when I grow fat.' he said, sitting down after dinner on the porch, rubbing his full stomach.

'First you say I can't cook, and now you complain it's too good?' Sylvi snickered. 'You're horrible.'

He leaned back on his hands and smiled. 'You should have warned me you're quick at picking up things.'

'And spoil my victory over you? Don't think so.'

He gave her a poke in her side, making her squirm. 'You're not there yet. I have to see more.'

She pushed him down and sat on top of him. 'You just can't face the fact I'm right.' she said, poking his nose. 'Or maybe you want me to stay as long as possible to eat more of my cooking.'

He smiled deviously. 'Damn, you found out my plan.'

She chuckled. 'Whatever will you do when I'm going back home?'

He shrugged. 'Probably beg at the gate every evening to have some of your cooking.'

'The guards will get sick of you and throw you out.'

'Then I'll just have to sneak my way inside.'

'And then get caught by my father?' she laughed. 'He'll throw you into the dungeon for sneaking in to see his daughter.'

'I can live with that as long as you feed me.'

'You're crazy.' she said and tickled him, making him squirm.

'I give up! I give up!' he said. 'Besides, I have a request for you!'

She stopped tickling. 'What, more food?'

'Something like that.' he said after taking a deep breath. 'The baker's daughter got the flu and will be staying in bed for several days. He told me today when I went there to pick up lunch for work. He said he could use someone to help out until his daughter got better and I told him I might know someone. Interested?'

'Me?'

He nodded. 'I told him how good you are at cooking. It would be another opportunity to prove me wrong..'

She grinned. 'Then I accept. Get ready to kneel before me.'

'I already talked to mom about it and she thinks it's a good idea to gain experience. I'll take you with me to town tomorrow morning.'

A polite cough made them look at the doorway with a smirking father. 'You lovebirds ready for a drink and snack?'

'It's not like that!' they said and he laughed as he went back to the living room.

Sylvi looked a little embarrassed as she got off Roh. 'Let's go.'

He nodded and followed her, his tail wagging more than usual.

***

Roh dropped Sylvi off at the bakery in the morning. 'Good morning Fort.' he said to the baker. 'Let me introduce Lumi, your angel in need.'

Fort looked back and smiled. 'So glad to have you help me!' he said, wiped his hands on his apron and held one out to shake hers, then looked closer. 'Has anyone ever told you..'

'Yes.' Roh said. 'She heard that more often. But why would a princess be working like a peasant?'

Sylvi saw his little smirk and elbowed him. 'The question would be, why would a princess get near a scoundrel like you?'

Fort laughed. 'She's right about that.'

'Well, I see you'll get along fine.' Roh said. 'I'll pick you up after work. Unless you manage to blow up the shop before that.'

'Why don't you make sure you don't blow up the garage.' Sylvi said and pushed him out the door as he laughed.

'Are you two..?' Fort asked.

'No way!' Sylvi said. 'He's horrible!'

Fort laughed and invited her to the back. 'Let me give you one of my daughter's spare outfits. Can't have you mess up your clothes with flour, dough, and cream.'

He showed her simple tasks she could do to finish pastries and how to help customers. Mira, his daughter came down once to check on the shop and he sent her back up after she was sure they could handle things.

'She worries easily.' Fort said to Sylvi. 'I told her you were a quick learner and things were fine.'

'I hope she'll get better soon.'

'A couple of days rest for her will do her good. She's been helping out since she was little and will surely take over the business when I'm too old.'

Sylvi nodded and heard the doorbell ring as another customer walked in. 'Then I hope I can fill her shoes a little in the next days.' she said and went to the counter.

Fort smiled. 'I'm pretty sure you can.' he said to himself and continued kneading dough.

**

Roh walked into the shop at the end of the day and waved at Sylvi while she helped out a little girl and her grandmother. Sylvi gave him a quick wave and smile before she told the girl all about the different pastries and what they tasted like while her grandmother smiled at them.

'She's such a sweet girl.' the grandmother said to Roh.

'You have a cute granddaughter, yes.' he said, watching the little girl wag her tail in excitement.

'She is, but I was talking about the new help.'

'Ah.' he said and smiled. 'Yeah, she is..'

The grandmother turned to her granddaughter. 'Well, do you know what you want? We can't have this young lady's boyfriend waiting for long.'

Sylvi looked embarrassed and saw Roh clearing his throat, looking away. The little girl choose a strawberry topped cake and Sylvi wished her plenty of enjoyment eating it. Roh watched the bright smile on the girl's face as she and her grandmother left.

'So, ready, or does this boyfriend have to wait a little longer?' he said chuckling.

'The boyfriend will have to wait until I'm done cleaning up.' she said and stuck out her tongue before going to the back.

'Ah, Roh!' Fort said as he came in from the back. 'You've come to pick up Lumi.'

Roh nodded. 'How did it go today?'

'Wonderful. She's a big help already. Mira can rest easily.'

'I'm glad to hear that.' Roh said. 'Then I won't have to worry about getting lunch here next time.'

Fort shook his finger at him. 'Don't speak badly of her. You're lucky to have such a good girl.'

Roh smiled. 'I know what a great girl she is, but she's not mine.'

Fort raised an eyebrow. 'Really? But you seem so close.'

'Yeah, we're friendly, but I doubt we'd become more than that. We're from different backgrounds.'

Fort nodded. 'Well, if you say so. Just make sure you can't get any further before giving up.'

'I'm done.' said Sylvi as she came from the back. 'Or do you need me to do something else before we go?'

Fort shook his head. 'No, I'll take care of the rest. You have a good evening now, and I'll see you tomorrow.'

'See you tomorrow.' she said, and followed Roh out to the car.

*

'Something on your mind?' asked Roh.

'Hmm?' said Sylvi, staring out the window at the fields.

'You're rather quiet.'

Sylvi smiled softly. 'I guess I'm a little tired. This has been a different day than one on the farm.'

Roh nodded. 'I can imagine. I'll bet you'll sleep like a log tonight.'

'I'd rather not. I've seen what you do to logs with your axe.'

Roh laughed. 'I wasn't planning on throwing you into the fireplace.'

*

At the farm, Sylvi told everything about what she had done that day and told Wenta that she would make pastries when Fort had learned her how to make them. Wenta suggested a little competition and she accepted. Pentu volunteered to be the referee.

Roh walked with Sylvi again at the end of the evening. 'Looks like I have to practice speaking in public soon.' he said.

'Hmm?' hummed Sylvi.

'Well, to admit you can do what us peasants can do.' he grinned.

'Yes, you'd better. I'm so going to humiliate you.'

He held up his hands. 'Go easy on me!'

'No way. Not after all I had to endure to prove you wrong.' she said, pushing him.

'Oh, don't start complaining now, you have fun here.' he said, pushing back.

She roared playfully and pounced him, causing him to fall back on the floor. 'Maybe I have, but I will still have my revenge on you.' she said, then got up and opened the door to her room. 'So be afraid, very afraid.'

She gave him a smirk and closed the door. He sat up and sighed. 'It's not revenge that makes me uneasy..' he said to himself, then got up and went to his own room.

***

Roh walked into the bakery at the end of Sylvi's third day there. 'I have to run a quick errand, so can you wait for me until I'm back?' he asked her.

She nodded. 'No problem. I'll wait outside and read. I got a book with all sorts of recipes today as a present.'

'I'll see you a little later then.' he said and gave her a wave before going outside.

Sylvi said goodbye to Fort when she was done and went outside, flipping through her new book in a sunny spot.

'Hey cutey. Are you free?'

She looked up at a young man with cat ears and tail and a sly smile on his face. She didn't like the greedy way he looked at her.

'Sorry, but I'm not interested.' she said, turning away.

'Come on, we'll have fun!' he said, moving in front of her.

'I already have plans.' she said, walking away.

'Hey! You can't turn down a good offer from me like that.' he said and reached out to grab her arm.

'Yes, she can.' growled Roh as he grabbed the guy's wrist and squeezed it hard.

The guy squirmed, trying to pull himself free. 'Let go!'

Roh pulled him closer and leaned into his face. 'Not before you apologise to her.'

'I'm sorry! I didn't mean anything!' the guy said, seeing the anger in Roh's eyes.

Roh let him go and the guy fell back against the wall. 'I'm sure you didn't. If I ever catch you acting like this to a girl I'll break your wrists before teaching you some old-fashioned manners.' Roh growled.

The guy grabbed his painful wrist and scrambled to get away as fast as he could.

'Damned bastard..' Roh said, then turned to see Sylvi looking quietly at him. 'Ah, sorry! I got carried away when I saw him bothering you.'

She smiled softly at him. 'That's okay. You're the knight who protected the princess from harm.' she said and took his arm. 'Thank you.'

Roh felt embarrassed and looked away. 'I only did what any guy would do for family.'

'Family?' she said, feeling a flutter in her stomach.

'Ehm, well, you're like family now.' he said, glancing at her. 'It sounds stupid, I know.'

Her bright smile made his heart skip a beat.

'I think it's great, thinking of me like that.' she said and held his arm tight against her, leaning her head against his shoulder. 'Let's go home.'

They walked to his car, unaware someone had been watching them the whole time.

***

Roh stopped his car at the bakery to drop off Sylvi for the last day her help was needed.

'Have a fun day, and don't get into trouble.' he said.

She smiled at him. 'I won't, as long as you keep being my knight.' she said and stuck out her tongue.

'I'm not going to let any man near you.' he grinned. 'Not even the king himself.'

'Oh?' she said, opening the door. 'Are you that protective of me?'

He shook his head. 'No, just can't have another guy go through the experience of being around you.' he said and stuck out his tongue.

'Jerk.' she said and got out, giving him a raspberry. 'Just for that you won't get any of my own made cakes tonight.'

He laughed and they waved as he drove to the garage.

She turned to walk into the bakery when she heard a polite cough. She looked left and saw one of the castle maids standing there.

'Sorry to bother you, princess.' she said and bowed her head.

'Ehm, you must be mistaken.' Sylvi said, making sure nobody was around.

The maid came closer. 'I'm not. We checked the castle and your room. You haven't been there, or at any of the other mansions.'

'Maybe, I'm abroad?'

The maid chuckled.

Sylvi sighed.

'Don't worry, we won't tell. We think it's wonderful to see you helping out here and having a good time.'

'Really?'

The maid nodded. 'We have been checking up on you, and we get the feeling you've been happier than ever before.' She looked over her shoulder, then back. 'We think it also has to do with him.'

Sylvi looked away. 'I have no idea what you mean. Roh's just a friend who's helping me out.'

The maid giggled.

'No, really! I'm not interested in a boorish guy like that! He has no manners!'

The maid smiled. 'Anyway, we just wanted to let you know we've set things up so it looks like you're staying at one of the mansions, in case anyone asks.'

'Thank you. That helps a lot.'

'If you need anything else, let us now.'

Sylvi smiled. 'I will.'

They got startled by the door of the bakery opening and the baker stepping out.

'Oh, good morning ladies. I heard voices and wondered what was going on outside.'

'Ehm.,' said Sylvi, looking from him to the maid. 'we were just discussing pastries.'

The maid nodded. 'Indeed. I came here to buy some.'

'Ahh.. Well then Lumi, don't make them wait. Let's open up.'

'Lumi?' whispered the maid.

Sylvi nodded and smiled. 'The name Roh gave me.'

The maid nodded and smiled, then followed Sylvi into the shop.

At the end of the day Roh walked into the bakery. 'Hey there.' he said to Sylvi.

'You're early. I haven't finished here yet.' she said, gathering the unsold pastries and bread for cool storage during the night.

'I know, but I came here to deliver something.'

Fort came out from the back. 'Roh, my boy. Just in time.'

Roh pulled out a thin package and handed it to Fort, who turned to Sylvi.

'My dear Lumi,' Fort said while his daughter Mira came out the back with a cake. 'we wanted to thank you for all the work you did while Mira was sick, and give you something to remember this time by.' He gave the package to Sylvi, who looked surprised at everyone. 'Open it.'

Sylvi opened the package and held up a necklace with a silver rolling pin.

'The pin represents the time working here.' said Fort. 'It was Roh's idea.'

Sylvi looked at Roh.

'It's not much, but they wanted to give you something special.' he said, smiling gently.

Sylvi looked at Fort, then hugged him. 'Thank you.'

He hugged her back. 'Thank you, for all you've done.'

Sylvi hugged Mira, who then presented the cake. 'One of my best cakes, for you as dessert tonight.'

'Oh dear.' said Roh. 'We'll have to roll her to bed tonight.'

'Shut up.' Sylvi said. 'You'll be begging me for a piece later. So if you're nice I'll let you have one.'

Mira snickered. 'Sounds like she's got you under her thumb already. And you're not even married yet.'

'We're not like that!' Sylvi and Roh said while Fort laughed.

Sylvi hugged Fort and Mira one more time before they left. 'Roh didn't want us to tell you, but he chipped in for the necklace.' Mira whispered to Sylvi as they hugged.

'He did?'

Mira nodded slightly and pulled back, giving Sylvi a wink. 'Don't hold it against him.'

Sylvi smiled. 'I probably will.'

*

'Thank you.' said Sylvi softly on the way back to the farm.

Roh looked at her fingering the necklace around her neck and smiled. 'What for?'

'For this.'

'I only provided the idea, thought something like that would look good on you as a reminder.'

'Exactly. I haven't had a present with a real meaning before.'

'Glad we were the first one then.' he said, happy to see the soft smile on her face all the way home.

*

Pentu and her mother admired Sylvi's necklace when they came home. 'Beautiful.' said Pentu.

Roh's mother nudged him. 'Thoughtful.' she said.

'Heh, I just happened to get an idea.' he said and walked out of the kitchen. 'I'm going to take a quick shower.'

After a good dinner and a thick slice of cake the family retired to the living room where Galrum poured drinks for everyone and held up his. 'To Lumi, for a job well done.'

'Lumi.' everyone said and Sylvi looked embarrassed.

'Thank you, all.'

'Now,' Galrum said. 'since Fort wasn't the only one who wanted to give you something to remember us by.., Roh?'

Sylvi looked at Roh, who handed her a small box and smiled. She looked at the box, opened it and found a small silver fork and knife, horse, carrot, spool of thread and needle and a heart.

'The fork and knife are for the great cooking you did.' Roh said.

'The horse for taking good care of the animals.' said Galrum.

'The carrot and thread for gardening and household work.' Wenta said.

'And the heart because you have a place in ours.' said Pentu.

Sylvi looked at their smiles and felt tears welling up in her eyes.

Pentu looked worried at her. 'Is it wrong?' she asked.

Sylvi smiled at her and pulled her tight in her arms. 'I love it.' she said, tears falling down her cheeks. 'Thank you so very much.'

*

Sylvi and Roh sat outside after the rest had gone to bed, listening to the breeze in the trees and the insects buzzing around.

'It's so peaceful and open here.' she said.

Roh nodded. 'A bit different from living at the castle and town, eh?'

'There's always someone busy at night.'

'I just hope it's not ruining a kitchen.'

She looked at his straight face, then roared playfully and poked him while she straddled him. 'Will you forget about that!'

He fell back laughing and she saw a small silver lemon falling out of his breast pocket. 'What's this?' she asked, taking it between her fingers.

He smiled, pushed her a little back to sit up, took it from her and pinned it to her necklace. 'To remember me by and the first time you cooked for me when you are back at the castle.'

She saw a little sadness in his eyes and hugged him tight. 'I don't want to leave here. To leave you..' she whispered.

He held her tight, his heart pounding hard. 'I don't want you to leave either, but I also know you will have to go back.'

She nuzzled his neck. 'I know.. I know..'

'At least you've proven me wrong.' he chuckled softly.

'Only, too quickly.' she giggled.

They held tight for a while when Sylvi whispered 'Can I sleep next to you tonight?'

Roh's heart almost stopped. 'Tonight?'

She nodded slightly. 'I just want to be close to you while I still can. Even if we can't do anything. Unless you don't want me.'

He stroked slowly through her hair. 'It's my honour..' he whispered.

She stood up, taking his hand in hers and he followed her silently to his room.

'I need to go to the bathroom quickly.' she whispered. 'Wait for me in bed?'

He nodded and she smiled softly before going. He felt nervous and excited when he went into his room, undressing and fluffing up his pillows. He usually kept things tidy, but he still checked for anything out of place. His bed felt cold after her warmth when he crawled into it. He let out a chuckle thinking she might just get too scared and sleep in her own bed, then sighed. 'She's a princess, you dope.' he told himself and closed his eyes. 'What would she do with you?'

A soft knock startled him and she walked into his room. He still wasn't sure he wasn't dreaming.

She closed the door slowly. 'Is it still okay?' she asked.

He smiled at her, thinking she was absolutely adorable. 'Definitely..'

She smiled softly. 'Mind if the lights go out?'

'Of course not. I understand.' he said and turned off the lamp at the head of the bed.

There was still some light coming through the window, but all he saw was her ghostly figure revealing itself while he heard the rustle of her dress falling to the floor. She came closer and he lifted up the blanket for her. She crawled against him, laying her head on his shoulder while he tucked her in.

'Sleep tight, my princess.' he whispered.

'Sleep tight, my knight.' she whispered, stroking her fingers across his chest before wrapping her arm around him.

He relished the scent and touch of her warm and soft fur, her soft body pressing against his and gave her a soft kiss on her forehead before falling asleep.

***

Roh cherished every moment she spent in his embrace. She hadn't moved at all during the night, just held on to him and stirred just a little as daylight woke her.

'Good morning, princess.' he whispered.

She looked up, sleepily and smiling. 'Good morning, dear knight.' she whispered, cupped his cheek and kissed him to his pleasant surprise.