Christmas at Sun Valley

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It has arms and legs already?!" he asked, unable to hide his astonishment, and Dr. Shanti grinned. "It does, indeed. In fact, although it's only about inch and a half in length, most of its organs have already started developing by this stage." She took some measurements, and then added - "Let's try to look for the heartbeat now, shall we?"

Without waiting for their response she changed the setting on the machine and then adjusted the angle of her probe. The picture changed, and now they could both see some of the pixels in the middle of their peanut blinking at them.

"There's our heartbeat. Looking nice and strong." Dr. Shanti declared, and Joe's mouth dropped, even as he felt Leanne's fingers tighten around his. He found her eyes, brimming with tears, and realized his own were threatening to spill as well. Unable to speak, his eyes returned to the screen.

That was their baby. They were going to have a baby. God!

Dr. Shanti continued with a few more checks and measures, and then withdrew the probe while the picture on the monitor continued to show their baby's profile in astounding detail.

"Everything looks good for now, Leanne. You can get cleaned up and dressed, and we'll talk a bit more at my desk, okay?"

Leanne mumbled her thanks and Dr. Shanti turned and left, leaving them alone in the privacy of the curtain. Joe's hands shook as he helped Leanne wipe the gel off her belly with some paper towels. Her belly was still as flat as ever - even slimmer than he remembered from before - and sudden fear gripped him. Surely she had lost too much weight? He swallowed hard as he remembered those last few weeks on the farm when she'd not been feeling well, and steadied her while she put on her jeans, and then stepped into her flats.

"All set" she smiled tentatively at him as she made to return to the desk, and he realized with a start that his silence was probably freaking her out. Joe reached for her arm.

"Wait, Leanne -"

She turned, and now he could see panic rise in her eyes. With a quiet expletive, he pulled her into his arms.

"This is incredible. I'm blown away, and I couldn't be happier. I just want you to know that."

She exhaled audibly. "Phew. You sure? I was starting to worry."

He smiled. "Very sure," and then bent to kiss her tenderly. "Let's go. Dr. Shanti's waiting for us."

Leanne nodded, and followed him out.

*

They left the doctor's office in a bit of a daze.

The OB/Gyn took Leanne's blood sample for her first trimester screening, and then referenced them to a colleague in Santa Rosa who would take over Leanne's prenatal care, promising to forward her the results. She also gave them three sonogram pictures which Leanne tucked carefully in her purse, although all she really wanted to do was sit and stare at them. It was hard to believe that peanut was their baby, living and growing inside her.

As they walked over to Joe's truck they saw the signs pointing toward different faculty buildings at UC Davis - including the School of Veterinary Medicine. Leanne looked at it wistfully.

Joe noticed. "You want to go check it out? See what's available?"

"I don't know, I mean - it's not like I can start it. I am going to have a baby sometime in May."

"I know. But it wouldn't hurt to get some info, would it?"

"Um -" She shrugged, and shuffled her feet. "Okay, I guess."

They went on to speak with the admissions office, and came out with a thick folder full of brochures and information. Although Leanne's grades were well above the entry thresholds they both realized she wouldn't be able to join any of the programs in the foreseeable future; everything required full-time attendance. Still, her smile as they settled back in his truck was wider.

"Thank you for that." she said, and he tilted his head in question. "For taking my dreams seriously." she clarified.

Joe nodded. "You'll make it, Leanne. You'll be a vet. You're bright and you have an incredible work ethic, and I promise you'll have my support. We'll make it happen, even if it takes longer than you expected before all this."

"Okay." she said simply, and they were on their way.

*

She texted Elaine telling her they were on their way, and added a snapshot of one of her sonograms to let her know how her appointment went. Her friend replied with "OMG I can't wait!" and must have watched out for them, because the door opened in invitation even as they were walking up to it, passing by low bushes dressed with faux spider nets and piles of pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns.

Suddenly Leanne was nervous about Elaine's reaction to Joe. It was silly, perhaps, but this was as close as she would get to 'meet the parents', and she fervently hoped for her friend's approval. Seeing the smile spread on the woman's face, she needn't have worried. Elaine didn't say anything, only opened her arms wide, and Leanne stepped into her embrace with relief.

"Congratulations, sweetie." Elaine spoke in a low voice, so full of emotion it made Leanne break into sobs.

"I'm going to have a baby!" she squealed as they drew apart, and Elaine burst out laughing. "Well, that part I already knew. It's the fact you're going to have it together with the father that I'm celebrating at the moment."

Leanne giggled through her tears and moved back, reminded that introductions were in order.

"Yeah, about that! Elaine, please meet Joe McConnel, my fiance. Joe, this is Elaine Rogers, my godmother and my best friend."

For a moment, the two stood off as they gave each other a once-over. Joe relaxed first, and stepped forward with his hand reached out.

"Mrs. Rogers, it is an absolute pleasure to meet you."

Elaine raised her eyebrows, slapped his hand aside, and stepped forward to wrap her arms around him in a big hug.

"It's Elaine, and I am so freaking happy to meet you, Joe!" She laughed as he chuckled and returned her hug affectionately, until they both stepped back.

"Come in, come in. It's nice and warm inside, let me take your coats. We'll sit in the kitchen."

With steaming cups of coffees in front of them, Leanne and Joe replayed their visit to the doctor's, displaying their sonogram pictures proudly. Elaine ooh'ed and aah'ed over the bleary black-and-whites, which made Leanne sniffle. The older woman reached for her hand.

"I'm just so happy to see the two of you together!" She exclaimed, and turned to Joe with a smile. "So, did you get in the car as soon as Leanne told you? She must have called right after we left the house for you to have made it last night."

"Actually I was already here when she called. I got your address from her 'next of kin' entry on her HR file. And she didn't get to tell me until much later last night."

Elaine blinked in confusion. "Wait - what do you mean, you were already here? How come? What happened?"

Joe looked from one woman to the other, and finally admitted - "Leanne's father came to the farm yesterday."

"What?!" both Leanne and Elaine stared at him with matching shocked expressions. Joe cleared his throat, and gave Leanne an apologetic look. "Yeah. With all the excitement I didn't get to tell you."

"What did he want?" Leanne asked through suddenly numb lips. Her heart was pounding. Even knowing whatever happened ended well - it got Joe to come for her, after all - she still couldn't imagine William Richardson facing the McConnels. It was completely mind-boggling.

"He came to tell us he was sorry."

Joe looked just as baffled by that fact as she felt at that moment. "And also to pay us back what remained of his compensation debt. With your cancelled paychecks." He gave her a pointed look. Leanne couldn't speak for the life of her. When she wouldn't say anything, Joe pushed.

"Why did you do it?" he asked quietly.

"It felt like the right thing to do." she finally managed to whisper.

"I don't get it." He said, almost pleadingly. "I mean, I can understand how you planned to temp on a farm anyway, to get some experience working with animals, and then decided to come to Sun Valley after William's fiance spoke to you. I get that you thought it could work in everyone's favor - you get your training and recommendations, we get a great seasonal employee and the rest of the debt paid, and William and Melissa get their fresh start, debt-free."

Leanne nodded mutely, but Joe shook his head. "But why did you go through with it, after everything that's happened? I mean, you owed William nothing. You owed us nothing. You could have kept your hard-earned money to yourself. Why, then?"

Leanne shrugged helplessly. "It somehow made me feel better, to know that even if you and I couldn't be together because of our family history, at least I could break that - that bad karma - for someone else." She bit her lip. "Also - I don't know. Maybe a little part of me hoped it would make you reconsider our situation."

Joe reached for her hand. "Well, it worked. Thank God."

Elaine cleaned her throat. "For the record, I thought it was a terrible idea from the very start. It was never her debt to pay in the first place, and she certainly owed nothing to Bill; God knows Holly and Leanne had paid tenfold for that man's mistakes!" Her tone was pained, and Leanne knew Elaine was thinking about her dead friend - Leanne's mother.

"Mom and I were lucky to have you." Leanne said quietly.

Elaine coughed and reached for a paper tissue to blow her nose, and then sat up straight. "I do approve of the end result." She managed a smile, including them both, as well as the sonogram pictures laid on the table, in her gesture. "So -" she looked pointedly at Joe. "Are you going to make a decent woman out of her?"

Leanne and Joe looked at each other, startled, and Joe chuckled, and tugged Leanne's left hand, pushing it out on the table before them. "Already ahead of you there, Ma'am."

"Oh my gosh, it's so pretty!" Elaine exclaimed as she took a closer look at the unique ring on Leanne's finger, with its delicate etching of meadow flowers, and then looked up from one smiling face to the other. "Congratulations again, you two. I wish you all the happiness in the world. Have you decided on a date yet?"

"Um, not yet, no. But -" Leanne looked at Joe. "I'm hoping it would be sooner rather than later. I want to look pretty in my bridal dress."

Joe bowed to speak quietly in her ear. "You will look beautiful when you're ready to pop, princess. I can't wait to see you ripe with my child."

Leanne blushed red when she saw the hard glint in his eyes and knew that he meant every word. Joe drew back, and looked at Elaine. "As soon as possible is my preference, too. But I just proposed last night, so we haven't made any firm plans yet."

Elaine nodded. "Let me know as soon as you do. I can't wait!"

Leanne breathed deep. "We'll need to call Aunt Sara, let her know I won't be available to take that job after all." Elaine patted her hand. "Don't worry about it, sweetie. I'll speak to her, and if need be will help her find another live-in care for after her operation. She'll be fine, I promise. You have your own life to worry about."

Leanne pushed her chair back. "Okay. I'll go get my things packed up." At the others' nod she walked down the hall to her old room. Sitting on her narrow bed, she looked around her in wonder.

She really was going to start her new life. With Joe. And their baby.

Inconceivable!

With a silly, huge smile she got up, and in a few minutes had her bag packed and ready to go. She returned to the kitchen to find Joe and Elaine deep in conversation about her boys' trac obsession.

"I was just telling Elaine they should come visit us on the farm over the Christmas break," Joe said when she entered. "Sounds like the kids would go crazy for the animals and the tractors, and we have enough room for them all to stay over, too, if they wanted to."

"Oh, that would be lovely!" She looked expectantly at Elaine, who smiled her agreement. "I'll speak to Jim."

Joe rose to his feet, and Elaine followed as they all moved toward the front door. Once they had their coats on Elaine hugged Leanne tight.

"You take care, sweetie. Let me know when you set a date and we'll arrange to go shopping for your dress together, okay?"

Leanne nodded into the other woman's neck, clinging to her harder than she had in a long time. "Thank you. For everything. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Elaine drew back enough to cup her face in her hands. "I loved your mother, and I love you, Leanne. I thank God I was able to help you when you needed it, and as it turned out, you have helped me just as much by taking care of Sofia and the boys at a time when my career demanded so much of my attention." Elaine's eyes brimmed with tears. "It's been a privilege to have you live with us, Leanne. You will always be a part of this family. Never forget it."

Leanne choked. "Thank you."

"And you -" Elaine turned to Joe, giving him her most intimidating glare. "You had better take good care of this young lady, or else."

Joe swallowed his smile to give her a sharp salute. "Yes, ma'am. I plan to."

"Okay, you two. Now go before I start bawling my eyes out. Let me tell you, it's not a pretty sight."

She was already sniffling, as was Leanne. With another quick hug, they said their goodbyes and left.

*

They sat in Joe's truck, but instead of driving away Joe turned to look at Leanne. She was staring out the window, her posture rigid, as if struggling to keep her composure.

"You okay, princess?" He reached for her hand, and she raised her eyes to him, bright with tears.

"She saved my life, you know. After my mom died. She took me in, she gave me a job, she even loaned me the money for college. If it weren't for her I'd be on the streets; who knows what would have become of me."

"I'm glad you had her."

Leanne leaned her head back against the headrest. A few moments passed in silence and Joe didn't bother her, sensing she needed to sort things in her head. Finally she turned to look at him.

"Tell me how it went, with Bill - with my father? He showed up on the farm, just like that?"

Joe nodded. "Yeah. Pretty much. Showed up and asked to speak to my dad."

"And?" she turned more fully to him.

"And, my father recognized him right away. I was going to kick him off our land, but instead dad invited him into the house." He looked down at his hands. "That's when I told my father who you were, and the reason we broke up." He stole a look at her, high color creeping up his neck. "It's been years since I'd seen him that disappointed in me."

Leanne gasped, and Joe grimaced. "Yeah. He told me I made for a lousy Westley. And he was right."

"So, he took it in his stride, then, your father? Seeing William, I mean?" She kept her tone neutral, but Joe knew all too well what she meant by that. They broke up because he was too afraid of how his father would react if he'd known the truth.

He sighed. "Yeah, pretty much. I mean, he got emotional, but he handled it with such grace, I was blown away. He said if the man had the guts to come speak to us after all that time, we all had to man up and listen."

Joe shook his head, and found her eyes. "He also said we have all grown up in those twenty years, and that we were all different people than we were then." He made a face. "Except I realized I was shamefully late in the maturing department. I only stopped acting like a scared little boy last night."

His hand came to her cheek and turned her to him, so that they faced each other squarely. "I should have trusted more - in my father, and in you."

She kissed his palm and then nuzzle her cheek against it. "Yes, you really should have." she smiled at his pained expression. "I'm glad you did, eventually."

Joe drew her into his arms, and held her close. They hugged quietly, until Leanne drew back.

"Joe?" She sounded hesitant.

"What, baby?" He tried to sound reassuring, though her tone made him anxious.

"How was he? William, I mean?"

Joe thought back to the day before. "Well, he was - old, I guess."

"Old?" Leanne seemed startled. "He shouldn't be much more than fifty. I thought he was only a couple of years older than my mother."

Joe shrugged. "Well, he looked older than my dad. And he didn't seem quite steady on his feet - I'm not sure if that was his nerves, or if he has some kind of disability. But I noticed Melissa, his fiancé, helping him up the stairs."

"I didn't notice that at mother's funeral five years ago, when he approached me." She said thoughtfully. "But then I was in shock, so I may have missed some details. My memory of that whole period is very foggy." She swallowed hard. "What- what did he say, exactly?"

"Just how sorry he was. How he'd been thinking about us every day since the accident. How much he regretted the pain he caused." Joe shrugged. "He seemed sincere. I believed him."

Leanne's teeth worried her lower lip. Finally, she nodded. "Okay."

Joe studied her. "That's it? Okay?"

"Yeah, I mean, what more is there to say?" She said, more than a bit defensive. Joe gave her a level look.

"You could meet with him."

"I don't want to. He is dead to me."

"You sure, Leanne?" Joe pushed, and she dug in her heels.

"Yeah." She said decisively. "I'm sure. Take me home now, please?"

After another long look Joe simply nodded, fired up the engine, and they drove away.

*

She fell asleep soon after they got onto the highway, curled on the wide seat next to him, her head pillowed on her hands.

Joe knew she must be emotionally exhausted; God knew his own head was reeling. Plus, Dr. Shanti mentioned tiredness was common at this stage in pregnancy, and that the best way to handle it was simply to let Leanne rest more. 'Naps would work well', she said, so he figured letting her sleep the long drive away was a good way to follow those orders.

Joe smiled as he remembered some of the other things the OB/Gyn said. Like reassuring them sex was perfectly safe, and that as long as Joe was clean and healthy, they could forgo condoms. He couldn't wait for that!

His mind drifted back to the doctor's appointment, and the sonogram, seeing their baby for the first time on that small screen. Their baby. Up until now he was too preoccupied with Leanne, her thoughts, her feelings, to examine his own too closely. Now, in the peace and quiet of the car, he let his own emotions come forth.

He was going to be a father.

It seemed incredible. Too good to be true. While he knew almost from the start he wanted a real, long-term relationship, with a distinct 'forever' option with Leanne, he never imagined having a baby so soon. It was one of those 'someday' ideas, vague and amorphous; nothing he was planning on for the immediate future.

Now it was real. They were engaged to be married, and having a baby. If he had reservations, they stemmed from the crazy high bar his own father had set for the role, he admitted to himself ruefully. He just hoped to measure up.

*

Leanne awoke a couple of hours later, as they were approaching Petaluma, startled out of sleep by a loud growl from her stomach which had Joe roaring in laughter, which he then struggled to suppress at her indignant expression.

"Poor baby. Am I starving you, when only yesterday I promised to fatten you up?" He tsk-tsked at himself. "I know a great place in this town, and you're going to love it."

Hungry as she was, Leanne agreed enthusiastically. Soon they were parked and then ushered inside an elegant-looking restaurant, and promptly seated at a corner table. Leanne looked around with a skeptical frown.

"You sure this is where you want to take me, Joe? This place is fancy. I'm - not." She looked down at herself, in her worn jeans and faded hoodie and four-year-old flats.