Dawn's Second Chance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When fate brought them together for the second time, she'd fallen hopelessly in love with him, again. She thought fate could never be so cruel as to take him away from her a second time. She was wrong. Despite their obvious differences, they'd married and were finally starting their future together when the war started and his life was snatched away by the hands of the enemy. Her world had been turned upside down, again. But, this time Lucien wasn't alive and in hiding, he was never coming back.

Kokumthena called upon her. At first, she had refused, unwilling to spend a virtual eternity without Lucien. But, eventually she'd conceded, accepting her destiny with silent dignity. Having given up on love, assuming she'd never feel what she'd felt with him, she absorbed herself in her work, dedicating her life to the cause. She hadn't expected to feel. Anything.

Alex sank down to the muddy earth. The dampness seeped through the knees of her jeans. "Lucien." Wiping away the stray tear that trickled down her cheek, she chuckled at the irony. Now, that she had her seemingly endless eternity, it stretched out before her colorless and vacant. She felt as empty as the grave beneath her. She thought her passion died with Lucien and she was willing to accept it. She hadn't expected to find anyone who could rekindle the passion buried deep within her. But, Chance had. Burned by the fire, charred by the ashes of loss and pain, she longed to feel the heat once again.

Moving on was too hard. Risking the fire for the sake of warmth too great a risk. It was easier to sit at the foot of an empty grave and mourn the loss. Revel in the vacant hole in her heart rather than try to fill it. Spend her days and nights alone in a dreamland of nothing. Death was easier than life by far. At least Lucien didn't suffer. He was remembered and loved. She was the one left behind with nothing but an empty heart, broken dreams, and memories of him. And for that, she envied him.

Chapter 13

Alex stared down into her coffee mug, inhaling deeply at the deep rich seductively taunting aroma. What she wouldn't give for just one sip. One taste of the bliss humans took for granted. She was still upset that Dane doubted her. But, she understood how insane what she'd proposed sounded. Could there ever be a truce between the Sons and the rogues? After a long walk in the woods, chilled to the bone by the March winds, she'd wandered into the kitchen and out of habit, made a pot of coffee to warm her hands.

A light touch on her shoulder drew her out of the jumble of her thoughts. She looked up at Chance, trying to hide her discomfort at seeing him. They lived in the same place. It was stupid to think she could avoid him forever. She'd practically bowled him over in the hallway in her haste to retreat to the woods. And then all but bit off his head because he reached out to catch her. "Hi," she mumbled, returning her glance to her coffee mug to avoid his inquisitive hazel stare.

Chance pulled out a chair and sat at the dining room table next to Alex. "Hi," he answered softly. Wincing as he noticed the look of discomfort on her face and how quickly she returned to stare into her mug. "You wanna talk?" Usually when Alex was staring deep into a cup of coffee, like a charlatan into tealeaves, she had something on her mind. He wasn't sure if she'd want to talk to him or not. But, he had to try. It was obvious. She needed to talk to someone.

"Not really," Alex replied, focusing her eyes on the mug as she ran her finger around its chipped, battered rim. She sighed, knowing she was going to spill her guts to Chance to spite herself. Despite the awkwardness their unexpected kiss had left in its wake, he was still her friend. "I had a vision last night."

Chance nodded, encouraging her to go on. "Isn't that good?"

"I thought so. But, now I don't know." Alex frowned. "When I told Dane about it, he didn't believe me." She shrugged and glanced up at Chance. "I even had proof and he didn't believe me."

"I believe you," Chance said by means of comforting her. He did believe her. Not that he understood her gift. But, so much of what they were was steeped in magic and the supernatural. It just made sense to him somehow.

Alex smiled at Chance. He was just being nice, patronizing her. Never the less, she told him about the vision and the wreath of clovers. Relieved to finally get it off her chest, she sighed. It felt good to have someone to confide in. Even if he thought she was crazy.

Chance blinked in amazement. "Incredible. That's something I would have never considered. A truce. Do you think it's possible?"

Alex bit her bottom lip in uncertainty. Wasn't that the million-dollar question? Was a truce possible? "Kokumthena thinks it is." She smiled gratefully at Chance. He wasn't pretending or placating her. He truly believed her. "Thanks."

"For what?"

"For being my friend." Alex nervously tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and ducked her head. Preferring to stare down at the cold coffee in her mug to meeting his eyes. She was thankful he was still her friend. This kiss complicated things. It changed nothing and at the same time, changed everything. She decided not to mention it. And hoped he'd do the same. What was the point in talking about something that would never be? Something she'd never allow.

Chance hooked Alex's chin with his index finger, guiding her face up to meet his eyes. He wasn't going to let her hide from him. Not this time. She could spend the rest of the day staring down into a cold cup of coffee. But, before he squashed his feelings for good, he wanted her to stare into the heat of his gaze one last time. "I always will be. No matter what happens." A cloud of sadness passed over his face as he studied the brown depths of her eyes longingly and surrendered his feelings. "I may want more. But, if friendship is all you feel for me. Then I'm blessed."

Alex turned her chin away, sliding free of his grip. "I'm the one who's blessed." She wished for just one second, that her heart and body were in accord and she could let herself love him. But, the hurt from losing Lucien was still too fresh, too deep. She wouldn't risk it happening again.

Chance sensed the conflict in Alex's heart. Stifling the urge to sweep her up into her arms and kiss away all her doubts, he stood. "I need to go." He reached out to caress her cheek, to feel the softness of her skin beneath his fingers, if only for a stolen moment. Cinching his hand into a fist, he lowered his hand to his side, fighting it. He couldn't allow his feelings to show. He was a friend to her. It was what she needed. It wasn't that she didn't want more. It was that she couldn't accept it. She didn't have room in her heart, not when it already belonged to someone else. He was a friend, and nothing more.

Alex watched as Chance left the kitchen. The near miss between them stained her cheeks deep crimson. She'd wanted him to touch her. To feel the heat from his fingers thaw her cold skin. She knew how good his touch would have felt. How warm. She feared the feelings it would have stirred to life within her. She was expending a great deal of energy holding them at bay, denying them, and herself.

"What ya' thinkin' about?" Janine asked, bounding into the kitchen. Alex was lost in thought, as usual. Staring into a mug of coffee in deep contemplation. Janine scanned the contents of the cabinets and the fridge. Setting on a bowl of cereal for lunch, since she'd missed breakfast. Hey, cereal was quick and easy. And, according to the box, it had nine essential vitamins and minerals. Completely healthy. Right? She poured the dry flakes into a bowl and added a generous splash of milk.

Plopping down into the dining room chair. Janine noticed the crimson blush spread across Alex's cheeks. Curious, considering she'd bumped into Chance in the hall on her way to the kitchen. He walked stiffly, looking dejected, as if he'd lost his best friend. Grinning, Janine came to her own conclusions. Chance had a thing for Alex. If her suspicions were right, Alex felt the same way about Chance. But, for some reason, in true Alex fashion, she'd shut him down cold. That was okay. She'd have to push Alex along and get her to see the light.

"Oh, nothing." Alex sighed, ducking low hiding her face from her friend's probing eyes. Janine was a hopeless romantic. If she suspected what she felt for Chance, Janine would go into full matchmaking mode and neither Alex nor Chance would ever have any peace.

"I saw Chance in the hall a few minutes ago. It looked like he was coming from the kitchen," Janine said casually. Her eyes sparked at the deepening blush on Alex's cheeks. Ah, so she was right. Her 'romantisense' was never wrong. "What was he doing in here?"

"Looking for his mom," Alex lied.

"Oh," Janine slurped at the milk in the bowl. Cereal wasn't cereal until it was a mushy, soggy, sugary mess. She could tell when Alex was telling a lie. And Alex was fibbing, big time. Janine took a bite of her cereal, studying her friend while she chewed. Getting Alex to admit the truth was going to take a lot of work. But, her BFF's happiness was worth the effort.

"You're feeling better," Alex said, changing the subject trying to divert Janine's attention. She could practically hear the gears in Janine's mind turning. No doubt concocting some matchmaking scheme.

Janine smiled broadly and finished the bite on her spoon. "Oh yeah. I guess I got too run down and caught a touch of the flu." She sighed dreamily and giggled. "I think Patrick was actually worried about me."

"You could have taken his blood and saved him the trouble," Alex said, pointing out the obvious.

"Oh, I know, but sometimes nature has to run its course." Janine scraped the soggy flakes stuck to the side of the bowl and lifted the spoon to her mouth. " I wasn't that sick. It was just a little touch of something. No big deal." She chuckled and confessed. "Besides, I enjoyed the attention."

"I bet you did," Alex retorted. Janine was always trying to get Patrick to acknowledge her. Wrangle some sort of commitment out of him. Bring him up to her level, which, no doubt, included wedding bells and cake toppers. She'd have to hog tie him and drag him to the altar. Patrick loved her. But, Janine was too wrapped up in her version of romance to see it. She had to have words and bling as proof to believe the depth of his feelings for her.

Janine dropped her spoon in her empty bowl and leaned her elbows on the table, resting her chin in her palms. "So are you going to give Chance a chance?" she asked. "Not that he wasn't a looker before, but, since the change, what a stud!" She giggled remembering the sight of him standing naked on the cliffs. Although, she was taken, sometimes she just couldn't help herself. She was a female after all. And Chance was a prime specimen of male beefcake. She scooted closer to Alex, whispering. "He grew in all the right places. If you know what I mean."

Alex huffed, "I didn't notice." Heat spread up her neck and to her cheeks. She'd noticed. After the change, Chance had grown. The scanty loincloth burst at the seams. Abandoned and forgotten in the wake of his sudden growth spurt. He stood naked in the moonlight. The pale glow accentuated the hard bulk of rigid muscle. He no longer had the body of a human male. But, that of a battle ready warrior. She blew out an uneasy breath. Scrabbling to hide her reaction from Janine's shrewd interest. Snatching up the empty cereal bowl and her cold mug of coffee, she retreated to the sink.

Janine clapped her hands gleefully, giggling enthusiastically like a schoolgirl. "You noticed."

Alex rolled her eyes and squeezed a dollop of dish soap into the sink. "Everyone noticed." She washed Janine's bowl, busying her hands to distract herself from the rush of heat to her cheeks. "Kind of hard not to take a peek when someone's walking around naked right in front of you."

"So you admit it," Janine teased in a sing-song voice. "You looked."

"Well yeah," Alex answered incredulously. She was a woman. And Chance a man. Naturally, she'd snuck a glance or two.

"You like him." Janine wiggled in her chair with excitement. Concocting up matchmaking schemes in her mind. There had to be a way to hook these two up. Something subtle. Not too obvious for Alex to catch on to. But, direct enough to give Chance the encouragement he needed to pursue her best friend.

"NO!" Alex flicked cold water from the faucet off her fingers at Janine. "He's my friend. That's all." Groaning at the spark in Janine's eye, she dried her hands on a dishtowel. She'd beg. She'd promise to do anything Janine asked, as long as it didn't involve the utter humiliation of being fixed up by her best friend. Janine was relentless, like a terrier with a bone, almost impossible to deter once she sank her teeth into something. "Promise me you won't try any matchmaking schemes. Please."

Janine wiped a few stray sprinkles of cold spray off her nose. The blush on Alex's cheek and the tone of her voice, the vehement denial of her attraction to Chance was all the encouragement Janine needed. She was going to help her friend out. Alex had been stuck in a rut for far too long. And it was high time for some romance in her life. "Never. You know I wouldn't do that," Janine said innocently.

Chapter 14

Janine lounged against the doorway leading to the gym, watching as John Mark and Chance sparred with lethal looking blades. Chance was lightening fast, dodging and parrying each advance. Leaping far out of danger's path. He was so perfect for Alex. A fine specimen of manhood, or vampirehood, as it was. She chuckled at her wit. Getting Alex and Chance together was her new mission in life. And she had a pretty good idea how to get the ball rolling.

Chance was so engrossed in the exercises all thoughts of Alex were pushed far from his mind. He concentrated on the blinding speed of John Mark's advance. A soft feminine "Whoo hoo," distracted his attention for a split second. But, that was all the time John Mark needed. A bone shattering kick landed precisely in the weakest area of Chance's body, his right seventh rib, and sent him sprawling onto the mat with a blade pressed tightly against his throat.

"You're a corpse," John Mark hissed, withdrawing his weapon. "I could have taken your head. Never lose your focus. Keep your eyes on your opponent, no matter how pretty the distraction." He extended his hand, helping Chance to his feet. He grinned slapping Chance heavily on the back. "Suck it up princess." He bowed to Janine and shot her a grin. "Thanks for the help. I couldn't have done better myself."

Janine playfully curtsied at John Mark. "My pleasure." The sight of two half-dressed warriors sparring on the mat sent her blood pressure and her pulse rising. John Mark was very married. Utterly and totally committed to Robbie. Shame. He was huge, a virtual wall of muscle bound, tanned flesh. The indigo swirling arcs of the tattoo across his back lent to an aura of bad boy danger. Add in the hair, draped in a loose ponytail between his shoulders, sleek and black as night, and John Mark was a breathtakingly beautiful male. But of course, she thought all men were beautiful.

"Take five," John Mark said, casting a wary glance at Chance. He felt confident for Janine's safety. But, Chance was young, their newest addition to the brotherhood. His control around humans was tenuous at best. John Mark crossed the gym, pretending to be busy cleaning the blades they'd used for practice. He kept a close eye on the boy, just in case.

Chance wrapped an arm around his tender ribs, wincing against the pain jolting though his side with every breath he took. "What's up Janine?" He kept a careful distance between them. His ribs were healing, knitting back together. He was too sore to think about food. But, it never hurt to be cautious. He'd almost lost control around her once before. Luckily, he preferred his meals to be of the four-legged variety. Drinking from humans was an unpleasant necessity.

"Oh, you poor thing," Janine cooed. "Did he hurt you bad?"

"No, not really," Chance gritted. Wishing he had a shirt, he yanked a towel off the rack and draped it over his shoulders. The appreciative glint in Janine's eyes, scanning him like a prize bull on market day, was a little unnerving.

"I'm so relieved. I don't know what I'd do if he really hurt you," she said, flirting shamelessly with Chance. Much to her dismay, he was not one to be weakened by feminine wiles or wares. Straightening her back and squaring her shoulders, she turned down the charm and tried a direct approach. He wouldn't need too much convincing to go along with her plan.

Chance snickered. "Find another pet project. What do you want Janine? I really don't need any more silk boxers." Janine was in charge of keeping the brothers dressed. Without her, most of them would run around in holey jeans and tattered t-shirts. Janine took care of trivial matters such as clothing. Chance had closets and drawers filled with expensive things he'd probably never wear, primarily the silk boxers, thanks to her efforts.

"I'm so glad you liked them." Janine beamed, undeterred by his scowl. Right after she finished here, she was going online to buy him a dozen more pairs. "Actually, I wanted to talk to you about Alex."

"Alex?" Now Janine had his full attention. What did she have to say about Alex? Had Alex sent her to him? Did Alex have a change of heart and was just too embarrassed to seek him out? Had she changed her mind? "What about her?"

"Well you may not know this, but her birthday is at the end of the month." Janine grinned, edging in closer, whispering. "I'm throwing her a surprise party and wanted to know if you were in?"

Chance raised his brow, pointing to his temple with a frown. "If you keep asking us to join in, it won't be much of a surprise will it?" He and the others were linked psychically, what one knew, they all did. There were no surprises and no secrets where the brothers were concerned.

Janine giggled and shrugged. "I hadn't thought of that. I guess I'll have to come up with a plan B." She glanced around slyly and winked at Chance. "And keep it to myself. March twenty-ninth is the day. You still have plenty of time to pick her up something, you know, extra special."

Chance groaned, seeing John Mark approach the mat with a wicked glint in his eye, promising him more lessons in pain. Chance was in trouble, serious trouble. "I'd better get back to practice. The longer he waits, the more punishment I get." His bullshit meter tilted at high alarm. He sensed that Janine was up to something. Something a hell of a lot bigger than a surprise party for Alex, but what was it?

"See ya. Have fun playing with John Mark," Janine said. Skipping gleefully out of the gym, she congratulated herself on a job well done. The first seed planted. All she had to do was wait and see what happened next. Operation Cupid was well underway.

Chapter 15

Sam slowed and rolled to a stop at the end of the off ramp. They were home, or at least, they had arrived at their destination. The sun glittered brightly in the rearview mirror and they had a lot to get accomplished before nightfall. If she didn't get everything wired up, Marcus wouldn't be able to go out tonight, and she'd be stuck with him.

Suspecting the resident rednecks wouldn't appreciate her musical tastes. She turned down the stereo and slowed her speed to a crawl. It was important not to draw any unwanted attention. "Here we are, home sweet home." She groaned as she drove through the main drag through town. The burg was small and non-descript, not unlike her hometown.

She hung a left at the four way stop and navigated the SUV down a narrow lane surrounded by barren fields, freshly plowed for spring planting. She spotted the rental house from the road. A typical Midwestern nightmare in a state of disrepair with broken shutters suspended from rusted hinges, peeling layers of white paint baked by too many summers of relentless heat and humidity, and a sagging front porch. Homey. Yeah, for the Addams family, maybe. The place gave her the creeps. Not bothering to signal, she turned and crept up the weed-infested drive. "Lets get unloaded and set up."

1...45678...31