Dawn's Second Chance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sam shifted her weight uncomfortably under Marcus's stare. He appraised her with a slow, lazy, utterly masculine glance of casual appreciation. She didn't know whether to be flattered or offended. Self-consciously, she crossed her arms over her chest and glared up at him. Hadn't he ever seen a woman before? Unfettered, she cleared her throat to draw his attention and his eyes off her cleavage. "Stow your gear in the back and lets hit the interstate."

She stormed around to the driver's side of the SUV, definitely not enjoying the heat of his stare, fixed solidly on her ass. He was probably standing in a puddle of his own drool. Biting off a curse, she climbed behind the wheel while he loaded his gear in the back.

Marcus slid into the passenger side and buckled up. Explaining his confusion, he stammered awkwardly, "When I was given my instructions and told that someone named Sam would be my contact. I was expecting a guy."

Sam shoved the SUV into reverse and backed out of the parking space. She slammed the gear into drive and stomped her foot on the gas. The powerful engine bucked forward. "Sorry to disappoint you. It's short for Samantha."

"Oh, I'm not disappointed. Not in the least." Marcus groaned, shrinking into the seat and resisting the urge to bury his face in his hands. Deciding not to dig himself in any deeper, he zipped his lips. This wasn't going very well. She'd probably try to stake him herself in his sleep.

Sam rolled her eyes at Marcus's off hand comment. What a jerk! Next he'd be asking to take the wheel, certain a little girlie like her couldn't handle such a complex task as driving. When she'd heard about the battle and how hard the Sons had been hit, she'd given up her job and her apartment in Southern California, and hopped the first plane home.

Her adoptive brother had always been so protective of her, making sure she stayed far away from the front lines. When Dane had asked her to take the assignment. She'd jumped at the chance. She smiled in a less than friendly way at Marcus. This guy was going to get an ass kicking, if he didn't treat her right, and Dane found out it. Hell, she didn't need her insanely overly protective older brother to kick this guy's ass. She would happily do it herself. Too many times her size had given her the upper hand. Her abilities were greatly underestimated. Not wanting to engage in an hour of small talk, she turned up the volume on the CD player, filling the compartment with the heavy bass thumping of rap music. Speeding up the onramp, she guided the SUV onto the interstate.

Marcus ground his teeth as rap music assaulted his sensitive hearing and rattled the fillings in his molars. She played the music, if it could be considered music at all, insanely loud. Small talk was impossible over the din blaring from the speakers.

Samantha, Sam, drove like a bat out of hell, weaving in and out of rush hour traffic with reckless abandon. Good thing he was virtually indestructible, otherwise he'd be worried. As it was, every time she made a particularly dangerous maneuver, he instinctively pressed his right foot to the floorboard and grabbed for the dash.

Hazarding a glance at her through the shelter of his dark lenses, Marcus saw the slightest hint of a smile, not an artificial, forced, sarcastic grin, but a genuine smile, curving her lips. For a brief second, he forgot the mission. He forgot the shadows of his past and the uncertainty of his future. He bathed in the warmth of Sam's radiant joy. She lived like she drove, fast and without playing by anyone's rules but her own.

Sam poured on the gas and sped past a blue compact car. She could walk faster than the traffic was moving this morning. What was it with Midwestern drivers? She gripped the wheel, biting back her irritation at the endless stream of taillights ahead of her. Reluctantly easing off the gas, she slowed and waited for an opening in the traffic.

Marcus sat stoically silent in the seat beside her. Frowning at the needle of the speedometer. Wincing every time he thought she got too close to one of the bumpers ahead of her. Reaching out to grip the dash as she passed a long line of semi-trailers. Pressing his foot to the floorboard when a car suddenly popped out of the flow of traffic and cut her off in its haste to reach the exit.

Sunlight flooded the cabin in a sudden explosion of brilliance, causing him to dodge behind the shelter of his visor and bite back a curse of pain. Sam casually pulled her braid from behind her back and flipped it over her shoulder. She drove one handed, reaching for her sunglasses resting in the console between them. Earning a hard scowl for her supposed carelessness behind the wheel as she slid them over her nose. Rap music blared from the speakers. The sun warmed her cheeks. And traffic was finally starting to ebb. The cup of coffee she'd stopped to purchase from a convenience store was still warm enough to drink. Sometimes, life was good.

She had him visibly rattled. He hated her choice of music. He thought she was careless and took too many risks behind the wheel. He wrinkled his nose at the sweet smell of her coffee. Subconsciously swallowing as she took a deep gulp and drained the contents. He stole glances at her from beneath the dark lenses protecting his eyes from the pale glow of the morning sun. He pursed his lips as if to make some comment and then deliberately clamped them shut. The man had game. Serious game. And seeing him, struggling to get the ball back into play was laughable. She understood why Dane chose him for the mission. He was just so damned human.

Marcus wanted to get to know Sam before he had to form a link with her. He really, really wanted to get to know her on a personal level. He smiled at the thought. And at the absence of the only woman who held his every waking thought and most of his sleeping ones, from his mind. Candace... Candace who?

Chapter 11

Alex sank down into the tub. Air jets forced streams of hot water and fragrant bubbles across her skin. She needed a break from all the drama, her drama with Chance, Janine's drama, and the drama unfolding between the Sons and the rogues. She was stressed out. Easing her head back on the puffy, vinyl pillow, she closed her eyes and concentrated on her breathing. Blocking everything else out of her mind.

Alex opened her eyes, squinting against the bright sun. She awoke in a meadow. Tall green grasses danced in the light summery breeze. The air was warm, clear and fresh, gently caressing her skin. At first she thought she had fallen asleep and was dreaming. Then she realized, her dreams were never this vibrant in color, this fragrant in scent, the grass soft and so real to her touch. In her dreams everything had a fuzzy, surreal quality to it. She was in the spirit world, locked in the grip of a vision.

"Child," Kokumthena said, emerging from a row of tall trees blooming with brilliant lavender and pink blossoms. Her long silvery hair floated on currents of fragrant, gentle breezes. Her dark skin glowed, translucently reflecting the sun's light. Alex could barely withstand the brilliance of the goddess's beauty. Shrinking back, she shielded her eyes. "Come play with us," Kokumthena said. Her long, delicate fingers stroked the fur of a white wolf, sitting contentedly at her side.

"I can't," Alex protested. She was behind on her work and had piles of aged scrolls waiting for her to translate. Artifacts left to be catalogued and packed away for preservation. "I've got work to do."

"Ah, yes. Work. Work. Work." Kokumthena shook her head in dismay. Reaching out, she touched Alex's face, running her fingers along her cheek. "Always working. Child, I didn't give you this life so that you could spend it toiling away at your labors. Where is your joy? Can't you take a few minutes to enjoy the beauty of this place?" She dropped her hand from Alex's chin and ran her fingers along the wolf's smooth white coat, pausing to tickle him lightly behind the ears.

"I don't have any joy," Alex replied. There was no point to lie to the goddess. She already knew the truth anyway. Looking away, Alex feared the goddess's wrath at her confession.

"That's because you won't allow it," Kokumthena chastised. She fashioned a ball out of thin air and tossed it off into the distance. With an eager woof, the wolf darted through the grass, chasing the ball.

"What about the rogues?" Alex asked, biting her bottom lip. She should use this ethereal visit as a means to gather information. After all, she was the goddess's mouthpiece in the physical world. The spirit plane was no less real than the physical plane. But, not everyone believed. Not everyone could travel here. Not even Alex could coax a vision out of her mind's eye unless it was something the goddess wanted her to see.

"Ah, my siblings' creation." Kokumthena nodded in understanding. "What about them?"

"How do we defeat them?"

Kokumthena pressed a hand to Alex's shoulder, guiding her down into the grass to sit in a sunny spot beside her. One day, Alex feared she might get lost in the spirit world and be so content to stay she never left it for the physical world again. The sun always shone. The skies were always clear. The air was always fresh. Everything was just so perfect.

"Child, once I asked my father the same question. I begged for him to wipe the evil from the face of the Earth. But, he refused. Instead, he gave me a gift. The gift I passed on to the Great Father and he passed on to you and your brothers and sisters." Kokumthena sighed in dismay. "Despite your long lives, you're still mortal, limited in your understanding. Good and evil will always exist, battling, one with the other. The key to peace is to learn to coexist. Just as the moon exists with the stars, neither one is more important than the other. Each adds beauty to the night sky, lights your path, and each serves a purpose."

"Evil serves a purpose?" Alex asked in confusion. Evil was evil. There was nothing good about it. Evil had taken Lucien away from her. Alex watched the goddess, sprawled out on the carpet of green, picking pink and white clover flowers and gathering them with a child's simple innocence. "A truce?"

"Perhaps." Kokumthena laughed, weaving her creation out of the delicate, sweet blossoms. Crowning Alex with the wreath, she gleefully leapt to her feet, dancing in circles with her head thrown back and her silver hair fanning out in shimmering waves around her tiny body, spinning faster and faster, blurring, until she disappeared.

Alex gasped, jolting awake to find herself exactly where she was when the vision hit her, back in the tub. The warm jets of water frothed bubbles over her bare skin. Tentatively, she reached up, shuddering when she felt the fresh crown of clovers resting atop her head. She hadn't been dreaming. She hadn't even been in this plane of existence. Hurriedly, she scrambled out of the tub and dressed. She had to find Dane and tell him about what she'd seen. Show him the proof of what the goddess asked them to do.

"A truce?" Dane pensively rubbed his jaw, lost in thought. Alex barged into his office and told him about her vision in exacting detail. He could scarcely believe her story. Suspecting it wasn't a vision, but a dream instead. She blathered on and on about peace and a truce between the rogues and the Sons. But, for as long as he'd been a part of this world, there had never been any thoughts of a truce. "Alex are you sure you had a vision? Maybe, it was a dream? How can a peace exist as long as the rogues keep killing innocents?"

"I knew you wouldn't believe me!" Alex exclaimed, crossing her arms defensively over her chest. His brown eyes flashed at her defiant tone. Quickly she backed down and dropped her eyes to the floor. She hadn't meant to sound offended by his refusal to believe her. It was just that he'd asked her for a vision. He'd asked her for answers and now that she had them, he didn't believe her.

"I didn't say that," Dane said cautiously. He'd already bought one new office chair after Neil had shot a hole in the previous one. He was quite fond of this chair and didn't relish the thought of searching for another. "The idea has merit. But..."

Before Dane could utter another word of doubt, Alex slammed the wilted wreath of clover on his desk. "I even brought you proof. How do you explain this? It's early March. There's still frost on the ground. Clover doesn't bloom till May. I woke up with this on my head. I was there. I heard every word she said. And you question me?" Alex stormed out of Dane's office, slamming the door behind her. She knew what she saw with her own eyes and heard with her own ears.

Chris perched on the edge of the desk, eying her husband. "It's very pretty," she offered, handling the delicate wreath carefully. "You should go talk to Alex. Maybe, apologize. You can't ask her for a vision and then reject it when she has one you like."

Dane pushed off from the, desk shoving the office chair back and sending it crashing into the wall. Chris was right. His gentle wife was always right. He had asked Alex for a sign. It wasn't her fault that he hadn't liked what she'd said. Rogues were killers. How could there ever be peace with them? "I need to think," he stammered, storming out of the room to leave Chris holding the wreath in her hands.

Alex ran through the labyrinth of hallways, blinded by hot tears of frustration. Dane thought she was a psych case. He didn't believe her. If it hadn't been for the wreath, she might not have believed it herself. Peace with the rogues seemed like an impossible answer. Rogues killed Lucien. Now, she was expected to plea for their lives in return.

Each passing day, everyone expected more and more from her. They expected her to forget and move on. Even the goddess, who knew her heart better than anyone, demanded that she ask Dane for a truce with the rogues. Well, she'd delivered the message and it was up to him whether he believed it or not. Gaining speed, she bolted for the exit out of the compound. She needed time to sooth her wound pride, ease her jumbled emotions, and clear her head. Not watching where she was going she ran straight into Chance, the impact knocked her off balance, sending her sprawling.

Chance hadn't necessarily been looking for Alex and had been totally taken by surprise when she ran into him, literally ran in to him, knocking herself off balance. Deftly, he caught her before she fell flat on her ass. "Hey, you ok?" he asked.

Alex wriggled free from Chance's grip, forcefully pushing him away with all her strength. Wasn't he at the very crux of her breakdown? It hadn't been that Dane hadn't believed her. It was Chance who was ultimately responsible. He dared her to do something she thought impossible. Feel. "Leave me alone!" she hissed, ducking away from his concerned frown. Running for the exit as fast as her feet would carry her.

Reflexively, Chance released Alex and stepped back. The sound of the slamming door echoed through the empty halls with a resounding boom. He wanted to chase after her and find out why she was so upset. But, thought the better of it. When caught in the path of a tornado, the smartest thing to do was to get out of its way. A philosophy he wholeheartedly agreed with. He retreated to his room, leaving the door cracked, in case she came back and wanted to talk, once she'd calmed down.

Chapter 12

Anna floated blissfully in the land between sleep and wake. Not quite ready to surrender just yet. She felt the warmth of Toby's body, lying next to her. His arms wound tightly and protectively around her waist. Stifling a yawn, she turned to glance at the clock. With a loud groan, she opened her eyes. She'd burned a vacation day and she was wasting it in bed. There was no point in putting it off any longer. It was time to get up.

"Morning, pretty lady," Toby said, softly tightening his grip on her hip to pull her into the line of his body. Snuggling his nose against the nape of her neck he inhaled her scent.

Anna rustled the covers, reluctantly flinging them back. She couldn't help but notice that she was naked beneath the sheets. "Toby, why am I naked?" She remembered being picked up from Candace's house and some of the drive home, but after that, nothing. "Did you take advantage of me?"

Toby huffed slightly offended that she'd think him so low. "Absolutely not. You fell asleep on the drive home. And you were resting so peacefully that I didn't want to wake you, so I carried you in and put you to bed." He frowned, mocking her hasty attempt to scrabble for the sheets. "You looked uncomfortable in those restricting clothes, so I took them off."

"And left me naked?" Anna pulled the sheet up over her exposed breasts and leaned back on the pillows, glaring at him. "Pervert," she grumbled. She was still embarrassed to be naked in front of him. She knew every flaw. Her waistline was a little too thick, her butt too flat and wide, and her skin too pale. She preferred the lights out when they made love. He was a pleasure to look at. Sinfully constructed of chiseled muscle and flawless flesh. Deprived by the darkness, she didn't get the chance to behold him. But, at least, he couldn't see her as clearly either.

"I like to consider myself an opportunist," Toby teased lightly. He slid the sheet out of her fingers, gently pulling the fabric away from her body. "Besides, you didn't need a nightgown. I was here to keep you warm." He snaked closer, taking time to rub his erection along her hip, "I'm naked too. In case you didn't notice."

Anna blushed furiously. Tempted to peek at the erection poking her in the hip. Just because she wasn't working, didn't mean she didn't have any work to do. Anticipating that she wouldn't be totally up to snuff after feeding Marcus, she'd brought her briefcase home from the office with her. The firm's latest project was in her hands. And this one could make or break her career. She had bills to pay and a reputation to keep.

"I've really got to get some work done today," she protested, reluctantly. The weekend was only two days away, two long, grueling, days away. Friday evening, she planned to yield to temptation and give him the ride of his life.

Toby pouched out his bottom lip in a pout. Anna had that look on her face. Jaw squared with determination, already riffling through her closet for something to wear, she shot him down. Left him hard and aching, and the bed cold. "Aw, come on give us a little sugar."

Anna bent and landed a light peck on his forehead, making sure to keep her hips at a distance, "Sugar is in the kitchen. The main course will have to wait till Friday at four fifteen."

"Yes!" Toby leaned back against the pillows, grinning widely. By four sixteen she'd be wriggling underneath him crying out his name in ecstasy. He winced as his groin tightened uncomfortably at the thought of his fingers stroking her secret places searching them out. "Easy cowboy," he grumbled. "Patience is a virtue."

******

Alex stood at the foot of the grave, staring down at the granite headstone. Off the beaten path, nestled in a quiet corner of the county, the cemetery was where she went when she needed to think. Lucien's body wasn't resting below the marker. He was given a warrior's funeral. His body burned and his ashes released into the open air, as was the custom of the Sons. Yet here, amongst the pines and twisted, gnarled oaks, she felt his presence. As if he were standing behind her, silently watching her.

The stone had been erected as a prop. Marking his first death, the false one, that had torn them apart thirteen years ago. They were so young and in love. High school sweethearts with nothing but time, dreams, and a brilliantly gleaming, wide-open future filled with promise waiting ahead of them. The accident changed all that. She had gone on with her life thinking he was dead. Killed in the crash. Only to find out years later that he hadn't died. But, had been transformed. Changed into a Warrior Son.

1...34567...31