Equalizer Pt. 02: Alpha Strike

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, Mr. Dunbar," he said. "I believe that covers everything. I will have my secretary send you the paperwork, once they finish drawing it up."

"Thank you, Mr. Stevens," I heard Ian say. "If everything is as you say, I don't see any problems. I'll have my own legal team go over the proposal, though, strictly as a precaution. I'm sure you understand."

"Of course, Mr. Dunbar," Curtis said, but I caught a hint of thinly veiled impatience in his tone.

That was when Tabby stopped dead, and I had to stop with her to avoid pulling either of us off balance.

"What's wrong, baby?" I asked as I noticed the look on her face. It was a mix of surprise and anger. I had a bad feeling about this.

"That's Curtis Stevens, my ex-husband," Tabby said, looking at me with angry eyes.

"You mean the guy who gave you..." I left it unfinished.

"Yeah, the asshole who gave me the clap and tried to lie to me about it!" she snarled.

"I didn't know he was a lawyer, too," I said, more as an observation.

"He was in pre-law at NYU when we married," she explained. "Six months later, we divorced because he gave me the clap, that he'd picked up from some ho or another. I didn't care, I just needed out of that marriage. The rest, you know. I'm sorry I didn't tell you all of it, earlier."

"Don't worry about it, sweetheart," I replied and smiled.

"Why the fuck is he here?" she hissed, her mouth tightening in frustration. I could understand that. She'd come clear across the country to get away from him and that old life. Now, here he was, again. It could be coincidence. Maybe. I had a bad feeling about this.

"Like I said, don't worry," I repeated calmly. "If he tries to make trouble, he won't like the result."

Tabby smiled at me as we kept walking. "You're right, baby. Let's get in there and see what's going on."

I knocked on the doorjamb, and Ian looked up and grinned. Curtis looked over too, and his eyes focused on Tabby as the smile evaporated from his face.

"Hey, Deck!" Ian exclaimed, leaving the attorney standing there and coming over to us. We shook hands, and he turned to Tabby. "You must be Tabitha Williams. It's my honor to meet you. I'm Ian Dunbar, and this is my company."

Tabby ignored her ex as she and Ian exchanged pleasantries, and he flirted lightly with her.

Curtis' expression became studiedly neutral, but I could see the jealous fire behind his eyes. He'd dismissed me completely, but now focused on Ian and Tabby.

"Anyway, it's good that you're all here," Ian said, breaking the ice. Then he turned to Curtis. "Thank you for bringing me the proposal, Mr. Stevens. Let Ms. Armstrong know that I'd be more than happy to extend my services to her company, assuming that nothing is amiss with the proposal."

"Of course, Mr. Dunbar," Curtis said and inclined his head politely. Then he focused on Tabby again. I noted that she was glaring daggers at him, too. "Hello, Tabby," he said as he walked over to where we stood.

"Curtis," she said curtly.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, a smile starting to form.

"That's our business, Curtis," she replied, matching his insincere smile with one of her own. "I'm afraid it's confidential." Then she took my hand and laced her fingers with mine. I saw the change in his face immediately, as realization dawned. It was subtle, as he turned his eyes to me. I saw it, though; pure burning hatred, for just a split-second. I smiled back at him.

"Hello, Curtis," I said, extending my hand. "I'm Deck Shepard. Ian and I served together in Afghanistan, with the Special Forces."

He took my hand and tried to squeeze it to death. I'd extended my first two fingers along his wrist, though. That negated any strength advantage he might have had. When he saw that he couldn't exert his dominance that way, he finally nodded.

"It's... good to meet you, Mr. Shepard," he said, barely concealing the hate in his voice. He almost lost it completely when he saw Nadine with Colt, and Kat with Mac.

Bigots and racists aren't confined to any one race. They exist in every culture around the world. Most people only hear about white racists, like the neo-ratzis or the KKK. They don't know about Asia's pogroms against mixed race children, or Africa's white slavery sex trade. As a merc with Red River, and as a soldier in the Army before that, I saw some of the worst that the world has to offer. That's the inconvenient truth. I've seen pure hatred before. Now, I saw that same hatred in Curtis Stevens' eyes.

"Ok, then," Ian said, laughing to break the tension. "Mr. Stevens, I have some urgent business with Ms. Williams and her associates. Thank you for coming by."

Ian's voice snapped Curtis out of his hate-fueled fog, and he took a deep breath to regain his composure. He released my hand as if burned, and muttered a polite goodbye to all of us. He grabbed his briefcase, and avoided our eyes as he walked out of the office. I heard his shoes as he retreated from the room,

"Well, that happened," Ian said with a smirk. "I believe that if we do business with Ms. Armstrong, one stipulation will be that she send someone with a bit more tolerance to their personality, in the future. Char, will you please take this proposal to Lina over in Legal, and have her look at it? Come back after you deliver it, please."

"Of course, Ian. I'll be right back," she replied. Char took the folder and walked briskly from the room.

"You know why we're here, brother," Colt said with a smile. They gave each other a backpounding hug.

"Of course I know," Ian said, seemingly offended. "I know everything. I thought you would realize that by now. How long have we known each other, again?"

"Too long," Colt replied with a snorted laugh.

Nadine laughed, and soon we all had, at least, a good chuckle at their exchange. Most of us knew that Ian's arrogance shouldn't be taken seriously.

"Nadine, always a pleasure," Ian said and hugged her too. Then he shook hands with Mac and me, and bowed respectfully to Kat before giving her a hug. He asked how the baby was, and wished her the best with her pregnancy.

Tabby watched the whole exchange, bemused by some of the interactions we had. She saw how true friends act, and I'd seen the same type of interactions between her, Mags, and Shelly back at the firm.

Char returned shortly, and informed Ian that Lina was perusing the proposal for any hidden loopholes. She'd have it back as soon as she finished reading it.

"Good," he said, smiling. Then he turned his attention to the rest of us with a serious expression. "I bet you're wondering why I've called you all here today."

"Uh, you didn't," Mac quipped with a smirk.

"I know, but I've always wanted to say that," Ian grinned, and we chuckled again. I realized that he was breaking the ice, showing Tabby that he had a sense of humor. Just like everyone else. "Make yourselves comfortable."

Mac and Kat sat on one side of the couch in Ian's office, and Tabby and I took the other side. It sat four comfortably. Colt and Nadine leaned casually against the wall, and Ian took one of the chairs in front of his desk, turned it towards us, and sat, himself. Char closed and locked the office door, and took the other chair beside Ian.

"I get the feeling that we're going to discuss something difficult, here," Tabby said, always perceptive.

"Not really difficult," Colt said soberly. "More like strange, to you, at least."

"Yeah, the rest of us are used to it," Kat said.

"This is important, Tabby," Ian said, his face neutral. "Kat and Mac know, as does Deck. What I'm about to say, might be hard for you to believe. It is, however, the truth. However, I must also swear you to secrecy, regarding this matter."

Tabby nodded slowly. "Ok, I think I get it. So, what is it that's so important?"

"Well," Ian said, his face now serious. "Tabby, I am a Sidhe, or Elf, if you prefer the more common mortal name for my race. So are Char, Shelia, and Falk, whom you've already met."

Tabby smiled in amusement. Then she looked at me. "Are you punking me, baby?"

"No," I said, shaking my head. "Tabs, remember Hamlet? Remember that line about more things in Heaven and Earth? It's true."

"'There are more things in Heaven and Earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophies, Horatio,'" Colt quoted, smiling. Then he looked at Tabby. "I was there when Shakespeare wrote that play."

"Wait, are you trying to tell me that you're immortal?" she replied, shaking her head slowly.

"We are, Tabby," Ian confirmed with a nod. "We can be killed, but we don't die a natural death.

"So you're a Sidhe too?" Tabby said to Colt, skepticism clouding her face.

"No, Tabby," Colt shook his head. "I can't show you what I am until after sunset."

"Colt's a Vampyr, and so is Nadine," Kat said gently, causing Tabby to look at her in shock.

"Sweetheart, listen to me," I said, squeezing Tabby's hand. "You said you trust me. I need you to trust me and my friends, now. Mac and Kat are both human, too. Don't worry, ok?"

Tabby looked into my eyes and sighed. "Fine, but I still think you're trying to punk me, here."

Ian cleared his throat, bringing Tabby's eyes back to him. "Tabby, please allow me to show you the truth."

"Fine," she replied, shrugging nonchalantly. Then her eyes widened and her jaw dropped as she saw him transform.

The air around him shimmered a little, and his eyes turned silver as his skin lost the tan it had. His hair grew and whitened, until it fell back over his shoulders. His ears, now pointed, stood out a bit from the side of his head. He still had the same facial bone structure, but that was the only similarity.

"Here I am," he said. "My name is Indar Flashbow, Scout Commander of the Sidhe Vanguard." Then he smiled.

Char changed too, and sat back in her chair, beside her commander. Then she smiled. "I am Char Rainborn, Third Scout Officer of the Seven Eyes. It's very good to meet you, Tabby."

"Umm, wow," Tabby said, her eyes still wide. "Is this really real, or did someone slip me some really good shit at lunch?"

"It's all real, Tabby," Kat confirmed, squeezing Tabby's shoulder.

Then I saw Indar turn his eyes on me. "Deck, was there something you wanted to ask, too? Falk told me about your conversation, last night."

"Of course, he did," I snorted a laugh. "Well, here's the thing. I have a lot of questions that he refused to answer. He said to talk to you about it."

"Wait, what?" Tabby said, looking at me in surprise.

"Tabby, I'm what they call a half-blood," I admitted, looking her in the eyes. "My great-grandmother is a Sidhe Scout, like Indar and his crew."

"Is that why you move so fast?" she asked, a little smirk on her lips. I couldn't read whether it was amusement or disbelief, though.

"From what Falk said last night, yes," I shrugged. "It also may be the reason why my eyes might have changed color last night when we... you know."

"So I didn't imagine it?" she said, shaking her head. "Why didn't you tell me last..." she stopped herself and thought about it. Then she looked at Indar and Char, and shook her head. She'd answered her own question. "I wouldn't have believed you."

"Sooo?" I went fishing for her thoughts on the matter. This was the moment of truth.

Tabby took a deep breath and held it for a few seconds. Then she let it out in a whoosh. "So, I need a little time to process this, honey."

"I know the feeling, girl," Kat said reassuringly. "It took me a minute to absorb the fact that some of my best friends were... well, you know."

"People right out of the Game of Thrones?" Tabby said with a laugh, while shaking her head.

"Yeah, pretty much," Kat grinned, even as she nodded.

"It is pretty damn cool, isn't it?" I supplied, giving Tabby my best grin.

"I resent that," Indar said with a smirk on his inhuman face. "They don't have Elves on Game of Thrones!"

Everyone started laughing at his observation, except for Char. She just crossed her arms and looked at him like he was insane. He caught her looking and grinned. "What? The series has great writing!"

"They don't have any Vampyri either, but Nadine loves it," Colt supplied, getting a look of disbelief from his fiancé.

"That is it! The wedding is off!" Nadine said, crossed her arms, and pointedly looked away.

"Oh, dear heart," Colt said taking her in his arms. "Indar is going to be my Best Man, you know. Didn't Leonora already accept, to be your maid of honor?"

"Best Man? Does that mean I get to throw you a Bachelor Party?" Indar grinned, causing Tabby to snort a laugh. "I'll make sure to get strippers and beer! Ok, just beer!"

I saw Nadine's lips twitch a little, and finally she broke down into raucous laughter. Colt held the love of his life close, laughing with her.

Yeah, they told me about how they met and then fell in love through shared tragedy. I'm not usually the romantic type, but man! Separated for centuries by duty, but somehow they managed to find a way through. That reminded me of something.

"Ian, I have some more questions for you," I said, bringing everyone back down to Earth. "First of all, how do I control these abilities?"

"That's a good question," he replied, resuming his human disguise. Char did the same, and they looked completely human again. "You are a third generation half-blood. I know I'm repeating what Falk already told you. You said that your abilities only manifest during times of stress?"

"Yeah, that sounds about right," I replied. "Whenever my adrenaline starts pumping. The earliest I can remember it happening, was when I was a kid. Some assholes were messing with Cara, and I fought them. It seemed like everything around me slowed down, except for me."

"Of course," Ian said, scratching his chin absently. "Heightened reflexes and speed, of course. You also gain heightened senses. Yes, that fits with what I know about Scout half-bloods. You will also live... indefinitely."

"So, I'm also immortal, as far as natural lifespan goes?" I asked. I knew that despite the gradual whitening of my hair, I still looked younger than thirty-five.

"To be honest, I'm not sure," Ian sighed. "As Falk said, you're the first third generation half-blood I've ever met, too. You heal faster than normal humans do, though."

Tabby squeezed my hand, and I looked at her. She smiled and nodded, kissing me sweetly. I smiled back, silently thanking her for not freaking out. I shouldn't have doubted her. I already knew she was strong, but I also knew she had no prior experience with the paranormal. Until now, that is.

"Ok, then," I said, nodding. I'd figure it out as I went. "Now, I need to know this. Is my great-grandmother still alive?"

Ian just grinned and walked behind his desk. He hit his intercom button. "Shelia, can you come up to my office, please? Let Tobin man the desk."

"On my way, boss," she replied lightly.

Then Ian walked over and unlocked his door. Two minutes later, Shelia opened it and came inside. She had to know where my great-grandma was now, I thought.

"Shelia," Ian said. "I think you know your great-grandson, there."

Now it was my turn to drop my jaw. Oh shit! That explained some things, actually. She'd saved my life a couple times during our last joint mission. She'd gone out of her way to save me, too. But still. Oh shit!

"The truth was going to come out, eventually," Shelia said, shrugged, and walked over to me. She smiled and spread her arms wide. "Give me a hug, Declan."

I stood and hugged her, still speechless. Then a thought hit me, and I grinned. "So, do I call you grandma or what?"

"Hmm, no," Shelia replied, smirking. "You can keep calling me Shel, or Shelia, or even ma'am if you want to be formal. I'm not the grandmotherly type though, in case you haven't noticed."

"Ok, that works," I stepped back and grinned. "How about Grammy?"

"Do you want me to tan your hide, young man?" Shelia asked sternly, then laughed out loud. Then she looked at Ian/Indar. "Commander, permission to discipline my grandson?"

"I don't know," Ian said slowly, his brow furrowed in thought. "I kind of like 'Grammy.'"

Tabby started the round of laughter, that time.

The afternoon was still young, when we all left the office. Ian took the rest of the day off, and apologized for having to return to Ireland on short notice. Falk joined us, along with Cara, and we went out to the parking lot.

Colt and Nadine left us there, climbing into Colt's Jag and leaving for their house. After they'd said their goodbyes, Kat and Mac also said theirs, and invited us to dinner that night. Then it was just Tabby, Cara, Falk, and me left.

"Tonight, Falk," I said, right in front of Cara. "You need to tell her tonight. If you need Tabby and me there, we'll help. Ok?"

"Well, I guess now is as good a time as any," he replied with a shrug. "Let's go back to my place, though. Your folks don't know yet, either. You can follow me there."

"Wait. What's going on?" Cara asked, narrowing her eyes.

"Don't worry, Sis," I said. "It's nothing bad. It might be a bit weird for you, but trust me on this, ok?"

"If this is some weird sex game, count me out," she replied, looking skeptical.

"It has nothing to do with sex, Cara," Falk said reassuringly. "I promise, no weird sex games. It's important, though. Please?"

"Fine," she shrugged. "Now I'm kind of curious about what's going on."

With that, we got into our cars and I followed Falk to his place. He had a nice house nearby, close to the beach. Once we'd parked, we went inside and Falk showed us to the living room. He brought beers out for all of us, and I saw that he shared Ian's taste in Guinness. Guinness is good. In fact, Guinness is great! True Irish Stout! I knew that Falk got the good Guinness from Ireland herself, of course. He wouldn't buy the watered down imported version sent to America. The one time I saw him try American beer, he almost puked.

I'd been nervous over how Tabby would take the news. I was downright terrified at how Cara might react. Tabby sensed my reticence.

"Don't worry, baby. I'll be here for her, like Kat was there for me. Ok?" she whispered in my ear. She gave my hand a reassuring squeeze, and smiled at me. I had to smile back.

"Are you sure you're ok with this, honey?" I asked in the same whisper. "It's a lot to take in. Hell, I was thrown into the deep end of the pool, at the time. Seeing Indar change is a lot nicer than seeing Colt or Nadine go into full monster mode."

Tabby looked at me with the "you gotta be shittin' me" look. She doesn't use it very often.

"I shit you not," I replied, holding up my hands.

"Are you ok, Cara?" Falk asked as she came back in from the restroom.

"Of course, baby," she replied sweetly. "Now, what's going on?"

"Hon, I just found out a little while ago, so I'll be right here if you need me, ok?" Tabby said, patting the seat beside her. Cara sat with a skeptical look on her face.

"Ok, let's get on with it," Cara said, looking at her boyfriend.

"Well," Falk said with a sigh. He basically gave the same intro that Ian did, and then he dropped his disguise. Cara gasped, then smiled. Her smile turned into a grin, and she stood up and ran over to him.

"Oh my God, that's amazing, bae!" Cara exclaimed, throwing her arms around his neck and giving him a decidedly R-rated kiss.

"Ok, I think they're good," I said with a wry smirk, looking at Tabby. "Tabby, meet Falk Brightshadow."

"That's going to take some getting used to," Tabby said with a smirk of her own, shaking her head slowly. "You're right, though. It looks like they're fine."

"Are you two good?" I asked, eyebrows raised.

"Yeah, we're good," Cara giggled, in between kissing Falk. "Get outta here."

"You heard the lady," Tabby grinned and grabbed my hand. We showed ourselves out.

1...34567...9