Equalizer Pt. 02: Alpha Strike

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tabby laughed. "You are one smooth talker, honey."

"It's the truth," I shrugged.

In answer, she snuggled up with me and kissed me sweetly. "I know, baby. I love how you tell me the truth, even when it isn't what I want to hear. That was what I wanted to hear, though!"

"Good!" I exclaimed softly, holding her in my arms. Her body felt so good, snuggled against me.

I hoped that after tomorrow, she wouldn't run screaming for the hills.

*****

I lay awake that Friday night, with Tabby snuggled up to me, asleep. I thought about what she might do when she found out. I knew she loved me, but would that be enough? Hell, I was still trying to process what Falk told me earlier that night!

When Ray and Trina cornered me in the Shamrock back in '08, I had to explain to her that Ray was right. Paranormal creatures really do exist. In this modern age though, most people dismiss it as superstitious bullshit. Even with the files that Ray hacked from State and the Pentagon, I'm pretty sure that Trina left, thinking that Ray and I were trying to punk her. That's my point. Even with "proof" involved, it's still hard to actually prove it to someone who doesn't already believe.

To actually believe, you have to see it for yourself. That's all there is to it. Since my buds in the Seven Eyes are the least terrifying of all the "monsters" I know, I'd have to ask Ian to help me convince Tabby that I wasn't full of shit.

"Ian Dunbar" isn't his real name, but it's the name he's used for a really, really long time. He looks barely old enough to shave, but there it is. Falk is a member of the Seven Eyes, the Scout Team that Ian commands. I don't prefer using their real names, in mixed company. I call them by their surnames sometimes, since they sound like codenames. "Flashbow", "Brightshadow", "Sirensong", etc. You get the idea. I only do that when they're being obnoxious, though.

As for my current situation, I wondered if I'd have to find a new girlfriend after this was all over. I sure hoped not! I wasn't kidding when I told Tabby that I love her. I felt her warm body snuggled up to me, and smiled as I held her close.

I think I finally dozed off around 0300 hrs.

*****

We were up and moving, four hours later. A quick shower together, drying each other off, combing the hair, brushing teeth, stuff like that, and we were ready to face the new day.

Tabby dressed in jean shorts and one of her tank tops, while I dressed in my usual outfit of jeans and a t-shirt. Mom greeted us as we came out to the living room. She called to us from the kitchen, shouting that breakfast was almost ready.

Dad was already gone, since he worked all the way down in Hollywood. It's about an hour and a half drive from Santa Barbara, and that's pushing it. At least he doesn't have to take I-5 to get there.

"Do you still have Mac's number, sweetie?" Mom asked me as we finished breakfast.

"Oh yeah, unless he's changed it since his wedding," I replied with a smile. "I'll call him in a few. Does he work weekends at his shop?"

"Not as far as I know," Mom shrugged. "I know that Kat is a lot better for him than that bitch he married, though."

As an Irishman, I might've taken offense to that. Maggie Sullivan is Irish, and shares her last name with Sully, my MIA bud from the Team. I don't think they're closely related, since Sully was... is an orphan, but the principle applies.

However, as a guy who's dealt with Candace Turner, I couldn't say anything. Every culture has their good and bad people. Besides, I don't take offense to anything Mom says. She's MOM, for Christ sake!

But now, I was more determined than ever, to get the straight shit from Mac. It should be entertaining, to say the least. I know Mac. He's a good guy, but you really don't want to fuck him over. He's kind of like me. He's a pretty laid back guy, but he doesn't take any shit when it comes to his friends and family.

We're different on a fundamental level, though. While I prefer direct action, as in full frontal assault, Mac prefers planning everything out. He has an uncanny knack for taking every contingency into account. That's why Cap had him helping to plan each Op we did, while we were in Afghanistan and Iraq. My plans fall apart, but I'm the master of improvisation. If the plan went south, I figured out a way to get it done, anyway.

"Hey, brother!" I said when Mac picked up his cell.

"Hey, Deck!" Mac said back with a laugh. "Cara told us you were coming to visit. What's been going on?"

"Long story, man," I replied, grinning. "Can we come by your place and discuss things? I heard something about Maggie, but they won't give me any details."

Mac chuckled audibly on the other end of the line. "Sure, man. Come on over. Kat and I are together now, by the way. Let me give you our new address."

I memorized it and realized it was only a couple of streets over. "Ok, we'll be there in five."

"We?" Mac asked.

"Tabby and me," I replied with a grin. "She's my girlfriend."

Tabby grinned at me, and I smiled back at her.

"Awesome! Bring her along. See ya in a few," Mac said.

"Ok, see you in a minute," I said back, and we ended the call.

"He's looking forward to seeing us," I said, giving Tabby the veggies. "C'mon, let's go."

"I can't wait to meet your friends, baby," Tabby responded excitedly. We walked hand in hand out to the car, and five minutes later, we pulled into the driveway at Mac's new place.

The first thing I noticed was that Kat had a new Ford Fusion, but Mac still had Steve McQueen's car, that he actually named "Bullitt", after the movie. I know, right? I'm a Chevy fan, but even I can respect the classic 'Stang. He even painted it Highland Green. Yeah, it's a totally badass ride. It paled next to the silver Jaguar XK8 Coupe parked behind Kat's Fusion, though!

We walked towards the door, and Mac opened it as we got closer. He had a grin on his face a mile wide, as he ran out to greet us. I know my grin pretty much matched his, as we collided and gave each other a backpounding hug.

"Damn, it's good to see you, man!" Mac said as we laughed.

"You too, brother," I replied with my grin still in place. "Mac, I want you to meet Tabby Williams, my girlfriend."

So saying, I turned as Tabby walked up to us, grinning ear to ear, herself. "Tabby, this is Mac MacDougall, of MacDougall's Chocolate Shoppe."

Tabby's eyes got wide and she gave my bud a huge hug, herself. "I love your Mint Chocolate Crème Candies!"

"Really? Those are pretty expensive," Mac said as they broke the hug.

"Deck got me a big box of them for Valentine's Day," Tabby said, as she backed up a bit and took my hand.

"Well, hey, Deck!" Kat said as she came out the front door. "Thanks for letting me know Deck was here, baby!" she said to Mac.

"Hey, Kat," I grinned as I gave my old friend and former crush a hug.

"Hey, hon," Kat replied with a laugh. I drew back and made introductions.

"Kat, Tabby. Tabby, Kat," I said, then snickered. Yeah, I can be a bit immature at times. It's a gift.

"You are still horrible, Deck Shepard!" Kat said, rolling her eyes. Then she grinned and chuckled anyway.

"Hi, Kat. I'm Tabby Williams, this smartass's girlfriend," Tabby said, rolling her eyes my way.

Mac was still snickering with me a little bit. "My condolences. I'm Kat MacDougall, and I'm married to the other smartass," Kat replied, hooking her thumb at Mac.

The two ladies embraced in a hug of commiseration, as much as greeting.

"Ok, that's kind of surprising," I said, raising one eyebrow at Mac. "Why the hell didn't you invite me?"

"No offense, Deck, but you do remember the last time you served as Best Man at my wedding?" Mac said with a smirk.

"Ok, ok. Yeah, I remember. You really got some explaining to do when we get inside, though. Hooah?" I replied, falling back into familiar territory.

"Hooah," Mac agreed, nodding. "Now, let's get inside so you can see the other surprise."

"Ok, sounds like fun," I said, grinning at the ladies. It was then, that I noticed two things about Kat. First, she wore a wedding ring, proving she'd married Mac. Second, she had a slight bulge in her belly.

Tabby and Kat joined us as we walked inside the house. We walked into the living room, where I got my third shock of the day.

"Deck," Cap said as he stood up from the couch. Then I noticed Nadine standing up beside him. They both smiled and came over to greet us.

"Cap!" I grinned, shaking my ex-CO's hand. When he released me, Nadine came forward and hugged me. "Nadine, it's great to see you both."

"It is good to see you too, Declan," she replied. I doubted she'd ever lose her accent. Then I turned to Tabby, who had a shocked look on her face.

"Tabitha Williams, this is Colton Drake and Nadine Olunye. Colt, Nadine, this is Tabitha Williams, my girlfriend." As I finished, Tabby found her voice.

"Oh, I know Professor Drake," Tabby said, shaking off her initial surprise.

"Miss Williams," Colton said with a bow. "I hear you've become quite an attorney."

"Let me guess. You took his class?" I asked, wryly.

"Yes, I did," Tabby said with a grin. "I needed an elective, and Shelly and Mags told me that Professor Drake was... umm... really good."

"I think the word she is looking for, is 'hot', Declan," Nadine supplied.

"Still breaking hearts, eh Cap?" I chuckled.

"Oh no," he said, shaking his head emphatically. "I came by at Mac's and Kat's invitation, actually, and to deliver an invitation, too."

"Oh?" I asked, not knowing what else to say.

"Have you checked your mail yet, Deck?" Cap asked.

"I grabbed it on the way out, this morning, but it's still stuffed in my suit bag back at my folks' house," I replied with a shrug. "Why?"

"If it hasn't arrived yet, it will in the next few days, at most," Colt responded. "You and a 'plus one' are invited to our wedding, next month. We've set the date for July Fourth."

"Oh, how wonderful!' Tabby said with a genuine smile, giving both of them a hug. "Congratulations! How long have you two been together?"

I almost choked, and I'm pretty sure my eyes bulged out, at that. Mac's expression mirrored mine, almost perfectly.

"It seems like a blissful eternity, now," Nadine replied diplomatically.

"Indeed," Colton agreed. "We had some rough spots along the way, but we are together now and forevermore."

I mouthed the words, she doesn't know, yet, to Colton and Nadine, and they gave a slight nod of understanding. That made me wonder if Kat knew, already. I'd have to ask Mac about that, later.

"The other thing," Mac said, "is that Kat and I have asked Colton and Nadine to be our baby's Godparents."

Ok, I had no problem with that! I never saw myself as any kid's Godfather. I was ok with kids, and William's kids liked me already. Unfortunately, I had no clue on how to be a father, yet.

"That's awesome!" I exclaimed. Nothing like Godparents who can't die. Well, it's really, really hard to kill them, at least.

Tabby moved over with Nadine and Kat, to talk about the baby, the upcoming wedding, and other things women talk about. That left me alone with my bud and our ex-CO.

"Does Kat know?" I asked softly.

"Yeah, she does," Mac replied, smiling. "She took it a lot better than I could've hoped."

"It's true," Colt confirmed, with a wry grin. "She must have spent two hours asking about our lives and adventures."

I had to laugh at that. It felt surreal sometimes, knowing and fighting beside living legends. Other times, it felt like the most natural thing on Earth.

There are more things in Heaven and Earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophies. Yeah, Hamlet isn't really my thing, but that line fit pretty damn well with my current situation. Now I just had to convince Tabby that the line was true. At least I could count on some help from my friends.

"Well, Tabby doesn't know yet, and there's more," I said, looking back and forth between my closest friends, as I said it. "I had a nice little chat with Falk, last night."

Mac looked puzzled, but Colt sighed. "So it's true."

"Yep, apparently," I shrugged. Then I gave them the quick version of all that had happened over the past eight months. I even told Colt about the job I did for Justin Wolfe, and the fuzzy that had infiltrated the Russian mob, during that op back in '08. "It's a good thing I still carry that modded bayonet Ian gave me."

"Hmm, that's disturbing," Colt said as he stroked his chin. "I'll contact some people and ask them to look into it."

"Cool, thanks," I replied gratefully. "Honestly, I didn't expect a full blown reunion while on vacation."

"Well," Mac started, "with Ian and his crew setting up their own Security Company here, and Colton and Nadine living less than half an hour away, it's pretty likely we'll all run into each other. Get used to it. Now, I'll be right back with some beer."

"Yeah, yeah," I snorted. "Thanks, Mac. Seriously, though, it's great to see you guys. Thanks for not judging me."

"I don't judge my friends, Deck," Colt said, as Mac returned and handed us some microbrews.

"Ahhhhh, the good stuff," I said, after opening the bottle and taking a long swig.

"The Brewmeisters in Germany would be proud," Colt agreed, nodding appreciatively. I had to agree with him. The dark ale had a great flavor, and even a little kick to it. No real aftertaste, either.

"Amen to that," I said as I took another swig.

We stood around, catching up on everything that had happened over the past years. Mac told us what had happened with Maggie. We agreed that it was for the best. I finally came clean about what Kat told me when we were teenagers, too.

"Sorry, but it isn't classified, and I can't keep it a secret anymore," I shrugged.

"You told me in Kandahar too," Mac said, nodding his head. He smiled wryly. "I should've listened, but I just didn't want to believe it, back then."

"Hindsight is always 20/20," I shrugged and clinked bottles with Mac.

"Indeed," Colt chimed in. "What matters now, is that you're together and happy."

"Got that right," Mac agreed with a grin.

"I'll drink to that," I declared, and put words into action.

"You'll drink to anything," Mac snickered.

"So, umm, what's your point?" I asked, then took yet another swig.

"You did not bring me a beer as well, Angus?" Nadine said from out of nowhere. I almost snorted beer out of my nose when I heard that.

"Next time -- COUGH -- Nadine -- COUGH -- don't say something -- COUGH -- like that while I'm drinking! Ok?" I coughed while trying really hard not to laugh.

Nadine just smirked at me, then turned her attention to Mac. "Kat and Tabitha are talking about names for your baby, Mac."

"Oh boy, this should be fun," Mac said with a sigh, then he grinned proudly.

We ended up sitting and chatting for quite a while, after Mac brought Nadine a beer. He brought sodas for his wife and Tabby, and we sat for at least an hour. We all listened while Mac and Kat told us about Maggie and how she'd screwed him over. It's a good thing I wasn't drinking when they got to how Mac added the powdered chocolate laxative to the cake mix. I know I would've snorted beer out my nose.

"Pennington," I said, remembering something. "Wasn't that they guy that Sully clocked on the flight deck of the carrier after that one op?"

Mac actually looked surprised. "You know, I think it was, now that you mention it. I didn't get a close up look at the asshole, though."

"Ah, yes," Colt said, laughing. "The pilot bugged out when he and his wingman started taking fire on their bombing run. Sully had the target lazed, but the pilot dropped his bomb too early. We had to move quickly to avoid getting killed, ourselves."

"Yep," I chimed in. "Then Sully sees him on the flight deck, arguing with his wingman... who was a woman, by the way. Yeah, she had bigger balls than he did. Hell, she used her bombs to help us complete the mission. Anyway, Sully sees them arguing, runs up to the guy, shouts 'hey stupid fuck!' and coldcocks him!"

We all laughed at that one, but then Tabby looked at her watch. "Didn't you want to go see your friend Ian today, baby?"

"As a matter of fact, I do," I replied with a nod. "Thanks, sweetheart."

Colt said he'd go with us to see Ian. Nadine volunteered too, as did Mac and Kat. Nobody asked me if I wanted them to come, but they somehow knew I'd be better off with them there.

Strength in numbers, folks. I was pretty sure it would help, especially with Kat there. She and Tabby had become fast friends, which didn't surprise me one bit. Kat just has a way with people. She's genuine, and even more open than Tabby, about her feelings. I don't think I'll ever understand women in general, but I understand Kat. Well, most of the time. Ok, some of the time. Yeah, I'll stick with that last one.

"Let's go, then. We're burning daylight," I said with a shrug.

After we stopped by a burger joint and ate some lunch, it didn't take us long to get there. When we arrived, I noticed right away, that at least one other Sidhe besides Ian and Falk was there. I saw someone that I never thought I'd see again. She was walking across the parking lot, wearing a business skirt ensemble and carrying a briefcase.

I stepped out of my Baby and went around to open Tabby's door, when Char noticed me.

"Deck? Is that you?" she said, a grin spreading across her ebony face. She turned and walked towards us, her eyes laughing as she grinned.

"Hey, Char," I replied, as she came walking towards us. "Char, this is my girlfriend, Tabitha Williams. Tabby, this is Char Rainborn."

Once introductions were out of the way, Char looked at me askance. "What are you doing here, Deck?"

"Came to talk to Ian about something," I replied simply. "I wanted to introduce Tabby to all my old friends. Do Shelia, Tobin, and Shelbi work here too?"

"All three of them, and Thomas too," Char said with a genuine smile. "Oh, and Rebecca also works here. So does her husband, Will."

"Hello, Char," Colt said as he and Nadine walked up to where we stood, with Mac and Kat not far behind.

"You still look good, Colt," Char said with a wink. "So do you, girl," she addressed to Nadine.

"You are too kind, Char," Nadine said and gave her friend a hug.

"Well, I see the Commander's day is going to be a full one," Char said with her smile still in place. "This way."

With that, she turned and led the way into the building.

Tabby and I joined hands as we all walked behind her. I gave Tabby a smile, and she returned it. Then she leaned in towards me. "You have quite a few friends, don't you?" she asked in a whisper.

"Well, you've now met most of them," I replied truthfully.

We entered the building, and I saw Shelia working behind the front desk. "Hey, Shelia," I grinned as she looked up and gasped. I noticed a slight shimmer around her, but she recovered quickly and stood.

"Hey, Deck," she said warmly and gave me a hug. "Let me buzz Ian and tell him you're here."

Tabby leaned in again to whisper in my ear. "Did all of you serve together in the Army?"

"Yep," I said and gave her a quick peck on the lips. "Shelia and Char were part of Ian's Team in Afghanistan. We worked together several times."

"Umm, I didn't think women were allowed in Delta Force," she said, narrowing her eyes. Oops.

"You'll see soon enough, sweetheart," I promised, giving her a reassuring smile and nod. "Trust me, ok?"

"You know I do, boo," she replied and gave me her beautifully brilliant smile.

"Ok, go on in, guys," Shelia said with a grin, nodding hello to all of us. "Ian is just finishing up with our legal representative."

"Thanks, Shel," Char said, then motioned with her head for us to follow her. We took the elevator up to the fourth floor and stepped into the hallway. As we approached Ian's office, we heard another man inside. He had a deep, baritone voice, and I felt Tabby tense up beside me.

123456...9